Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SULAIMAN UPSET WITH FLOYD, SHANE & OSCAR!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
this is great...even though shane held the WBA title, WBC stooge jose sulaiman is getting NERVOUS that big-time fighters dont consider alphabet belts important enough to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for!! laugh.gif

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/sulaima ... more-44869
quote]In his weekly “Hook to the Liver” column published in El Universal, WBC President Jose Sulaiman commented on the decision of Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley to not fight for Mosley’s WBA title to avoid paying the sanctioning fees.

“…it was for me a humiliation and a threat to all world boxing institutions, which are who open the doors to all boxers from their very beginning, bringing them into the world ratings, to give boxers the opportunities to win world titles that lead them to fame and glory,” said Sulaiman. “They enjoy it for a while to fall next into the paws of the giant TV corporations and some promoters, once that boxers have become the top of the cream, taking away the merits and kicking in the behinds of the world sanctioning bodies, once they don’t need them any more, while those organizations continue working, through the good and the bad, to bring more boxers to the top, to see again the same lesson be repeated once and again.

“If this practice is not remedied, and as they can not produce the elite boxers that are born and formed by the modest boxing promoters and the local boxing commissions, boxing will be led to extinction as a great competitive sport in no more than 25 to 50 years.

“Oscar de la Hoya, the promoter, as well as the WBC’s superheroes, Floyd Mayweather and Shane Mosley, built their greatness on the opportunities that the WBC, and less frequently, other colleague organizations gave them, while HBO reached the top of boxing TV, showing the best fights in half a century of the WBC.

“These three great boxers continue being my personal heroes and absolutely the pride of the WBC, as well as keeping my respects for HBO. But how sad and unfair it is that they have forgotten the institutions that opened their doors and let them to conquer glory and the pride of the boxing fans of the world. As the fight Mayweather-Mosley is going to be exclusively for the money and only to see who is going to win over the other, with no other interest, and as a boxing fan, I have decided to stay home to watch it on the Mexican Televisa, which does recognize and respect always those which have been an important part to take boxers to the heights.”
[/quote]
Snoop
Whatever. WBC can go suck a dick, especially when they keep coming out with all these pointless belts, like their "diamond" championship.
Byrd Man
that motherfucker needs to learn some grammar. All those run on sentences made me dizzy and I lost focus on what the hell he was saying.
STEVENSKI
He actually does have a point about fighters using the alphabets to climb the ladder & once at the top dropping them. Not that I am a fan of the alphabets mind you.
D-MARV
I perosnally think this is a step in the right direction... This alphabet people can get pretty damn pathetic at times. What they did to Tim Bradley was terrible. Threatening to strip him of his title after he just won it??? The mandatory shit can get pretty messed up at times. Bottomline is that these alphabet people are robbing fighters left and right. If the fighter has no desire to fight for their titles then who gives a fuck?
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 5 2010, 10:58 PM) *
He actually does have a point about fighters using the alphabets to climb the ladder & once at the top dropping them. Not that I am a fan of the alphabets mind you.

He holds a valid point that there needs to be a ranking system in the sport of boxing, but it's just that the sanctioning bodies, the WBC especially, have gotten out of hand with all the inconsequential belts they've flooded the sport with. Too many "championships" actually hurt boxing more than it helps and I find it annoying that he's crying when it doesn't go his way in this one instance, but doesn't seem to give a shit about the sport of boxing when it works in his favor. Fuck people like that.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 5 2010, 03:32 PM) *
that motherfucker needs to learn some grammar. All those run on sentences made me dizzy and I lost focus on what the hell he was saying.

His son Mauricio, writes even worse! But I still have found him to be willing to write back most of the time I think I even asked this of the WBC at one time or read it somewhere, "Why do you have to have these sanctioning fees?" And Jose said that the representatives don't get any salaries, (you know, working for the "betterment of boxing." so they use them to pay the bills needed to stay in business.) So I guess their would not be any business if there weren't sanctioning fees. I think if that were true, they would still find some way to make up the lost revenue.

I have to agree with just about everyone. There's too many belts. And even though their are no sanctioning fees with the new "Diamond" belts Champion Emeritus Belts (meaning champion in recess.) the WBA's "Super Champion" bullshit, which was an idea from Lennox Lewis! Go figure! Lennox wanted a system where unified champs wouldn't have to defend their belts so much, and that's why the WBA created a minimum of 18-27 months between title defenses if one of their champions also held a WBO, WBC, or IBF title in the same weight class.

The problem is just too widespread. The IBF has the least amount of non-legit title belts, but for personal reasons I have always found them to be the most corrupt. I had issues with Bob Lee going all the way back to Eugenia William's scoring in Holyfield-Lewis I. I blasted her, questioning her competence and lack of integrity and he wrote back attacking and trying to discredit me and I have chosen to be the most cynical of the IBF since than. But the others, WBC, WBA, and WBO have always been cool with me and I have been cool with them. I think that the IBF sucks the worst because they have vacancies in their rankings for no reason and they will strip fighters the most for unification, rather than trying to encourage it. The WBA sort of used to be like that, but not so much anymore. The IBF will almost always force champions to fight #1 mandatories who are undeserving and in my view, they were always the most easily intimidated by Don King.

The federations have to work on reducing the belts and solving the sanctioning fee issue. But I DO NOT think that a magazine belt (RING) is the answer, at all.

Jack
JD
I have the utmost respect for for the decision to tell the WBA that they can keep their trinket.
Box in Hand
The only reason he's upset is because they are losing money. He's masking his greed with all of that other bullshit he's talking. Money is the motivating factor. I used to think the Ring Magazine belt was the last legitimate belt but Goldie Locks bought it and diluted that shit. Fuck them belts.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 5 2010, 10:37 PM) *
The only reason he's upset is because they are losing money. He's masking his greed with all of that other bullshit he's talking. Money is the motivating factor. I used to think the Ring Magazine belt was the last legitimate belt but Goldie Locks bought it and diluted that shit. Fuck them belts.

I agree with your post Box, except for the part about The Ring. I don't like the fact that DLH owns it but so far I have not seen any of the ratings favor his fighters.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 5 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I agree with your post Box, except for the part about The Ring. I don't like the fact that DLH owns it but so far I have not seen any of the ratings favor his fighters.

You're right but the fact that it is owned by a boxing entity be it a promoter or manager is where things get diluted. Do you know who owned the Ring before? I'm not sure but I think they were independants.
Thegreatequalizer
screw the alphabet organizations. they're already making money off of most of the fighters. it's total sour grapes that they're cut out by some of the bigger fighters. sure i don't really care for any of the fighters mentioned, but good on them for taking a stand against BS that fighters are forced to put up with by them. if the alphabet orgs had real integrity then i would feel differently. promoters screw over fighters too. and when the fighters get big enough sometimes they start promoting themselves (to varying degrees of success, i'm sure) and that's also fine. they shouldn't have to put up with some of the corruption that's forced on them. and though i thoroughly dislike floyd mayweather, i don't feel that he has really built his career up too much relying on the abc titles. he is often criticised for not unifying titles in divisions. even if i don't agree with a lot of his decisions, he did it his way and not the sanctioning body's way, and that is one of the few things about him that i actually respect.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 6 2010, 05:12 AM) *
You're right but the fact that it is owned by a boxing entity be it a promoter or manager is where things get diluted. Do you know who owned the Ring before? I'm not sure but I think they were independants.

The Ring, first edited by hall-of-famer Nat Fleischer, has perpetrated boxing scandals, helped make unknown fighters famous worldwide, and covered boxing's biggest events of all time. Dan Daniel was a co-founder and prolific contributor to The Ring through most of its history. It refers to itself (and is referred to by others) as "The Bible of Boxing."

In 1977, three international versions of the magazine came out. One, the Spanish version, was named Ring En Español and was published from Venezuela and distributed around all Spanish-speaking countries and the United States until 1985. There was also a Japanese-language version published in Tokyo and a French version published in Paris.

The magazine was taken over by flamboyant publisher Bert Randolph Sugar in 1979, who hired Randy Gordon — who would go on later that decade to become New York's boxing commissioner — as his editor-in-chief. By 1985, both Sugar and Gordon had moved on, then watched from the sidelines as The Ring nearly went bankrupt in 1989, causing the magazine to cease publication for most of the year. It rebounded under new management in 1990.

Box in Hand
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 12:47 AM) *
The Ring, first edited by hall-of-famer Nat Fleischer, has perpetrated boxing scandals, helped make unknown fighters famous worldwide, and covered boxing's biggest events of all time. Dan Daniel was a co-founder and prolific contributor to The Ring through most of its history. It refers to itself (and is referred to by others) as "The Bible of Boxing."

In 1977, three international versions of the magazine came out. One, the Spanish version, was named Ring En Español and was published from Venezuela and distributed around all Spanish-speaking countries and the United States until 1985. There was also a Japanese-language version published in Tokyo and a French version published in Paris.

The magazine was taken over by flamboyant publisher Bert Randolph Sugar in 1979, who hired Randy Gordon — who would go on later that decade to become New York's boxing commissioner — as his editor-in-chief. By 1985, both Sugar and Gordon had moved on, then watched from the sidelines as The Ring nearly went bankrupt in 1989, causing the magazine to cease publication for most of the year. It rebounded under new management in 1990.

Interesting history, thanks bro. I'd like to start collecting the early magazines because they always had some real sick covers. They're on Ebay for like a dollar. I think I just found a new hobby.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 6 2010, 07:23 AM) *
Interesting history, thanks bro. I'd like to start collecting the early magazines because they always had some real sick covers. They're on Ebay for like a dollar. I think I just found a new hobby.

Excellent reading. Before the internet that was my source for boxing. I still pick them up from time to time. Good hunting.
blackbelt2003
I dunno fellas, I gotta say that, as much as the alphabet boys suck, you gotta have SOME regulation or governing.

For a start, think of all the fighters we've only heard about BECAUSE of the alphabet boys. Do you think we'd have heard of Bernard Hopkins if he hadn't been IBF champ? Back in 2001 we were all calling Felix Trinidad the man at middleweight. If there was no such thing as alphabet belts, he'd have continued to be recognised as such for years and never fought Hopkins.

Same with Winky Wright. The only reason Wright got to fight Mosley was because he held an IBF trinket. If Mosley had gone 'screw the IBF and the others', we'd have never seen Wright beat him and become undisputed champion.

Same with Cory Spinks. We'd have just recognised Ricardo Mayorga as the man at welter and never knew Spinks was actually the 'real' champ.

The underlying pattern in the above is that the most exciting, marquee name is NOT always the best fighter. And in the absence of belts, with only the established names and power brokers picking fights, who do you think will get the big matches? Not the next Hopkins, Wright or Spinks, certainly. Instead we'll see old names recycled even worse than now, and undeserving, unwarranted challengers with pretty padded records from popular countries getting fights with whoever the media desides the new 'champion' actually is.

You think the guys the WBC, WBA and IBF pick are bad? Get rid of them for a decade and see how shitty the big matches would be if it's Golden Boy, Top Rank or Ring Magazine making the matches.

Black
Jack 1000
You think the guys the WBC, WBA and IBF pick are bad? Get rid of them for a decade and see how shitty the big matches would be if it's Golden Boy, Top Rank or Ring Magazine making the matches.

Black

I agree,

Boxing is contingent on an international structure from around the world. Under Blackbelt's example, I could see a monopoly of American fighters fighting for one promoter over the other. And try to get in theory Don King to rank Bob Arum's fighters or vice-versa! LOL! Rival promoters and a magazine. It's bad enough that Showtime and HBO can't just do some sort of merging to reduce boxing competition from the networks. If the WBA, WBC, and IBF can come together and unify especially if there is enough interest and money involved, producing consistency and uniformity with the best fighters fighting the best fights often generates positive results. Boxing has to move away from the concept of "Floyd Mayweather is an HBO fighter" or "Vic Darchinyan is a Showtime fighter."

Move the boxing back to the commercial networks or standard cable circuit to show that the best boxing can and will always be better than the best MMA. Take the Marquez-Vasquez trilogy, soon to be fight#4 or the Ward-Gatti series, or Corrales-Castillo I. There is no MMA contest that will ever come close to the all-time intensity and greatness of those action packed matches, NONE!

Consolidation of the best boxing matches on the networks. Geez, even work out a deal to alternate big fights, the best fights on paper moved to broadcast or standard cable TV, and brining boxing back into the general public living rooms across America. Belts or no belts. The above steps are at least my views to bring boxing back as a mainstream sport again.

Jack
jlupi
what would be the solution to the sanctioning body problem? You cant have the fighters arbitrarily decide who they should fight, The bodies are corrupt, You really cant go to a journalist survey. most sport writers really dont know boxing and certainly dont follow international bouts.

The ring is prob the best but that can easily be corrupted
Snoop
Having rankings done by a promotional company and by a sanctioning body is virtually the same nowadays; one just operates under the facade of being "regulated" and "official", while the other admittedly operates for profit. I don't think anyone here is saying that the concept of rankings needs to be eliminated, but rather that the current system needs to be revised.

Dumb fuck assholes like Sulaiman need to STFU, crying about the sport being defiled without sanctioning bodies when sanctioning bodies are doing plenty to fuck up the sport at the same time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.