Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing can be a cruel mistress!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
enigma1969
After Sugar Shane Mosley was defeated by Floyd Mayweather - a buddy of mines has decided that he does not want to talk about boxing for a while. LOL

He left me a message saying he has not been this hurt since Tyson lost to Douglas.

My older brother got me into the fight game and I can still remember how he felt and looked after Tommy Hearns ( his favorite fighter ) lost against Sugar Ray and Hagler. I mean he acted like his girl friend had died!

I love boxing and the emotions that it brings out in the fighter, the fans, and even whole countries.

So, who disappointed you when they were undressed or beaten? Who made you not want to talk to anyone even your wife or girlfriend? If you say no one we all know you maybe lying or you don't have a pulse.

Too much emotions on these boards to say no one.

I will begin ... the night Evander Holyfield lost to Riddick Bowe in their first fight.

Holyfield has always been a favorite of mines. The little train that could. Undersized in weight but not heart. And that heart was on full displayed in the 10th round of Holyfield-Bowe 1 as Riddick battered Evander around. The fight went to the score cards and Holyfield was no longer champion. Bowe took his 0 and his belts. I was deflated.

Holyfield didn't want to talk about boxing after that fight. And neither did I.

Lil-lightsout
My top 3.

1- Easily Chavez-Taylor I. I was heart broken after what happened to Taylor that night. To this day that was one of the overall most amazing fights I ever seen, but also the one that hurt the most.

2- Ray Leonard- Terry Norris. Huge Leonard fan. And seeing him take that beating really had me in the dumps for a while.

3- Bowe- Golota II. Man I traveled to see that one and was depressed seeing Bowe take a beating. Big fan of Bowe also.

Probably are forgetting some others. There are other fights that have pissed me off with the results, but these like made me sad.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 01:35 AM) *
After Sugar Shane Mosley was defeated by Floyd Mayweather - a buddy of mines has decided that he does not want to talk about boxing for a while. LOL

He left me a message saying he has not been this hurt since Tyson lost to Douglas.

My older brother got me into the fight game and I can still remember how he felt and looked after Tommy Hearns ( his favorite fighter ) lost against Sugar Ray and Hagler. I mean he acted like his girl friend had died!

I love boxing and the emotions that it brings out in the fighter, the fans, and even whole countries.

So, who disappointed you when they were undressed or beaten? Who made you not want to talk to anyone even your wife or girlfriend? If you say no one we all know you maybe lying or you don't have a pulse.

I will begin ... the night Evander Holyfield lost to Riddick Bowe in their first fight.

Holyfield has always been a favorite of mines. The little train that could. Undersized in weight but not heart. And that heart was on full displayed in the 10th round of Holyfield-Bowe 1 as Riddick battered Evander around. The fight went to the score cards and Holyfield was no longer champion. Bowe took his 0 and his belts. I was deflated.

Totally understand. I still can't watch Douglas vs. Tyson. That shit was like watching your pops get whooped after you swore he was the toughest dude on the block. Still can't watch Roy get taxed by Tarver or Trinidad putting the hurt on Sweet Pea. And before every fight of a guy that I like, I get butterflies like it was me fighting. In fact I used to really like De la Hoya when he was young in the game but hated him ever since he got the nod over Sweet Pea. This is why in my opinion MMA could never top boxing because boxing is like a family member or as you say even a mistress. I think comparing boxing to a girl is best because if you ever had your heart broke all you wanna do is lay around sulking and not talk to anyone. That's what happens when someone you like in boxing loses.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 6 2010, 07:48 AM) *
Totally understand. I still can't watch Douglas vs. Tyson. That shit was like watching your pops get whooped after you swore he was the toughest dude on the block. Still can't watch Roy get taxed by Tarver or Trinidad putting the hurt on Sweet Pea. And before every fight of a guy that I like, I get butterflies like it was me fighting. In fact I used to really like De la Hoya when he was young in the game but hated him ever since he got the nod over Sweet Pea. This is why in my opinion MMA could never top boxing because boxing is like a family member or as you say even a mistress. I think comparing boxing to a girl is best because if you ever had your heart broke all you wanna do is lay around sulking and not talk to anyone. That's what happens when someone you like in boxing loses.

Good stuff.

You are so right. That's why I wrote Mistress. Boxing at times has all of these flaws ... the ABC organizations, the greedy promoters, the self-absorbed fighters and etc.

But no matter the warts - at its finest - boxing is magic.
Byrd Man

Byrd vs. George

The Wlad/Ike fights were bad but at least I could chalk them up to him being outweighed by so much.

Seeing him all gaunt and shit getting slapped around by a light heavy was just cruel to sit through.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 01:35 AM) *

You're in good company here man..I've been busted on a lot for being the #1 Holyfield supporter on the boards..Holyfield is the guy who made me decide to start boxing..Sometimes I wish my style was more engaging in wars and gettin hit more than I'm training to do but I can't complain,I love the style I have now..When Holy lost to Bowe,it also had me hurtin..So anytime Holy lost,was hurtin me..He had a lot of problems and decided to fight through them only learning it was a bad decision..Especially the second Lewis fight and the Valuev fight where Holy got robbed..

BigG
Morales losing to Pacquiao in their rematch.

Jones Jr. losing to Calzaghe....
King Eugene
Jones being KO'd by Tarver crushed me.

Jones being KO'd by Johnson put my heart in my stomach. I didn't even feel like talking the next morning.

Jones absolutely getting beaten the fuck up by Calzaghe was disheartening. To hear him plea to Merk in the corner how he just couldn't get to him was the worst.

Every time Roy fights my heart pumps a hundred miles an hour. I just knew Lacy was going to dismantle him but boy oh boy you talking about crunk as the fight went on...
Warlord
For boxing, Vargas/De La Hoya was probably the most heart-breaking.

For MMA, probably Silva/Rampage 3.
D-MARV
LMFAO at lil lightsout's sig!!!!!

STEVENSKI
The one that broke me & made me turn out like Darth Vader all "twisted & evil" was seeing Tszyu get tag teamed by Hatton & that cunt Parris. That really broke me & I have not really liked any fighter since.
Douchebag
Cotto getting dismantled by Pac-man. I still haven't watched the fight a second time.
D-MARV
Tyson Vs McBride broke me up.

Jones Jr Vs Hopkins II really messed me up bad too.
WindyCityP
DLH vsTito pissed me the fuck off and yes I was a true Hoya fan back in the day.

Morales losing to Pacquiao in their rematch was also crushing but the above fight takes the cake for me.
The CEO
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 02:35 AM) *

There's only been one fight that affected me emotionally to the degree you speak of...and that was Leonard shoe shining his way to victory over Hagler...it took place on my 16th birthday and was the absolute biggest deal to me at the time...

My favorite fighter got shafted against the fighter I "hated" the most...lol.....it took many years and viewings for me to accept that it could have gone either way....
Snoop
Jones's first loss to Tarver shocked the hell out of me. I never considered myself a huge Jones fan but for whatever reason I didn't want to talk the rest of that night.

I knew Gatti had little to no chance against Mayweather, but it was depressing to see him take a beating like that.

And this might surprise some people, but I was pretty bent outta shape when Pacquiao lost to Morales the first time out. Seriously.
streetlion1
My top heartbreakers are pretty recent

DLH vs Pacquiao- I was always a really big DLH fan and was with the many who thought he would K.O. Manny....and to see
him get beat the way he did and quit on his stool was something I never thought I would see.

Mayweather vs Mosley- I felt that Mosley was the only welter out there who could beat Floyd but Shane didnt show up to
fight....to see him get dominated by Mayweather was....the right word would be....irritating! More so because Floyd even stood there willing to fight and Mosley never let his hands go even when it was clear he needed a K.O.

Hopkins vs Jones Jr. 2- The fight was just horrible!!!!!
alaganza
For me Taylor Chavez was the most disappointing. Especially considering the punishment Taylor endured. At the least he could have walked away with a win.

Sturm getting robbed agains DLH. That's because you could see the gold digging personality of the "mistress" come out.

Tyson-Douglas. Espn Classic will run this fight quite frequently. I still can't watch. To this day I have watched that fight one time in its entirety.

Glen Johnson losing to Bad Chad. I have no problems with Chad. I just think Glen Johnson is a wonderful ambassador for the sport. He's a hard worker and exemplifies the attitude a boxer should have.

Vargas losing to Tito. I respected Vargas a lot more in his defeat than I ever did in his previous victories. He fought hard and went out on his shield.

Vernon Forrest slapping Mosley around in the first fight was heart-breaking for me too.

I also agree with CEO about the Hagler-Leonard fight. Again the gold digging ways of the mistress were obvious.
HaydelHammer
I was destroyed when I saw this. Destroyed.

HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 6 2010, 02:44 AM) *
My top 3.

1- Easily Chavez-Taylor I. I was heart broken after what happened to Taylor that night. To this day that was one of the overall most amazing fights I ever seen, but also the one that hurt the most.

2- Ray Leonard- Terry Norris. Huge Leonard fan. And seeing him take that beating really had me in the dumps for a while.

3- Bowe- Golota II. Man I traveled to see that one and was depressed seeing Bowe take a beating. Big fan of Bowe also.

Probably are forgetting some others. There are other fights that have pissed me off with the results, but these like made me sad.

I remember this one. This one didn't bother me as much as the jones jr ko to tarver, but I felt so bad for Ray.

I remember after the fight when he was asked when he knew he didn't have anything left. Ray said "In the first round"
SmartyBeardo
Ali v Frazier I

Cuevas v Hearns

Whittaker v Chavez

The latter disgusted me with the business of boxing for 15 years.
Romulus9
Gatti's last fight with Gomez was bad for me, as was the Duran-Joppy fight that never should have been commissioned, but I have to say any fight where a fighter is injured, or worse, killed.

When you're deeply dedicated to this sport, it's unlike any other. It becomes part of who you are.

Seeing that happen really gets to me. Always has. After seeing it happen, I'm absolutely irate, and usually concerned, when a fight goes on for too long in my eyes. It's always a concern that someone will take that one more shot that causes serious injury.

I was only a few months old when Mancini-Kim happened, but I've watched my fair share of fights that were tragic. Ruelas-Garcia, Carver-Salem, Benn-McClellan, Chavez-Johnson, Rodriguez-Diaz and others were all fights that I was watching LIVE as bad things happen... and, yet, I, and many others, were back for more, understanding that the tragedy was nothing more than a worst case scenario coming to fruition for a warrior who knowingly took a calculated risk when he stepped through the ropes.

What's very tough is knowing that the injured fighter was someone else's favorite fighter, or that their opponent was someone's favorite and will never be the same. Fortunately, I've never watched one of my favorites fall in that manner in the ring.
SmartyBeardo
I forgot my original heartbreaker;

Patterson v Liston.
Mean Mister Mustard
Trinidad-Vargas: At the time I liked Vargas. This was a mega fight I had been looking foward to for weeks. I was convinced Vargas would be able to outbox Trinidad. Then the first round happened and I was in shock. The fact that Vargas was able to rally back in the middle rounds is what made his loss so hard to take; he had given it his all and it was not enough.

Barerra-Pacquiao: Barerra was a top 3 P4P fighter in many people's lists and I was hoping to see a 3rd fight with Morales. I knew Pacquiao was dangerous after having seen him dispose of Ledwaba and Julio byt I did not expect him to run over Barerra like that. Barerra had been a favorite of mine and it was sad watching in there unable to do anything in that fight.

Whenever a fighter you are rooting for loses it can break your spirit but on the other hand, when that guy puts on a majestic performance, very few things in sports can rival it.

thehype
Lewis vs. Tyson and Toney vs. Holyfield for me...it kind of me made sad to realize that era was over.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ May 6 2010, 10:59 AM) *
I remember this one. This one didn't bother me as much as the jones jr ko to tarver, but I felt so bad for Ray.

I remember after the fight when he was asked when he knew he didn't have anything left. Ray said "In the first round"

Totally forgot about Jones-Tarver II. Now that hurt to watch, I could not stand Tarver. What made it worse was I was on such a high from my first boy being born a few days before and I had about 12 friends over for a party to watch the fight and then afterwards play some H2. Tarver ruined my whole night.

As far as the Norris-Leonard fight... the one thing that sticks out in my mind is one of the middle to later rounds Ray had his best round and was getting to Norris a little(from what I recall), and at the end of the round he threw his arms up in the air going back to his corner. Man that gave me the chills.
The CEO
LOL...Norris beatin' Leonard up was one of my favorite moments in Boxing.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 6 2010, 08:32 AM) *
There's only been one fight that affected me emotionally to the degree you speak of...and that was Leonard shoe shining his way to victory over Hagler...it took place on my 16th birthday and was the absolute biggest deal to me at the time...

My favorite fighter got shafted against the fighter I "hated" the most...lol.....it took many years and viewings for me to accept that it could have gone either way....

Man... I was 14 at the time and I was rooting the other way. I remember watching the espn updates for the first few rounds and then my parents made me go up to bed. My Mom later came up in my room when the fight was over and told me Ray won. I was so excited.

I watched the fight over a hundred times, and I just see Ray winning everytime. But I know there are many who swear by Hagler got robbed. It's funny how people can view this fight and see different results.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (thehype @ May 6 2010, 12:47 PM) *
Lewis vs. Tyson and Toney vs. Holyfield for me...it kind of me made sad to realize that era was over.

I agree man, Lewis v. Tyson.
Romulus9
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 6 2010, 01:48 PM) *

+1
lloyd mayflower
Hatton v Mayweather. More due to a build up of unfortunate circumstances, culminating in that tenth round than just the tenth round itself.

Maybe it was the fact that BA lost my luggage on the way to Vegas, maybe it was my hotel safe being emptied to the tune of $4000 in cash on the first night whilst I was obliviously getting smashed in the Mandalay Bay, or maybe it was that I went all that way and couldnt get a ticket for the fight, and as such had to watch it on a big screen with a guy who looked remarkably similar to Rufus from bumfights. But whatever it was, something about that night brought a tear to my peepers!
Method
Only two fights pissed me off - Taylor's loss to Chavez and Hagler's loss to Leonard.

PS - Greatest thread title of all time.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 6 2010, 01:48 AM) *

box i totally agree.... that damn tyson douglas fight broke my spirit for a long time... i still havent gone back and watched the whole fight... ever since the original broadcast... he was the great heavyweight of my teen era... that loss is the reason i dont follow any individual fighter as being on a bandwagon so to say...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 6 2010, 06:10 PM) *
The ones that effected me the most:

• DLH-Trinidad
  • DLH-Mosley II (Anger)
  • Tszyu-Hatton (depressed)
  • Morales-Pacquiao II (anger/depressed)
  • Morales-Pacquiao III (depressed)
  • Pacquiao-Cotto

fitz who is that stallion on your sig photo?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 6 2010, 03:24 PM) *
box i totally agree.... that damn tyson douglas fight broke my spirit for a long time... i still havent gone back and watched the whole fight... ever since the original broadcast... he was the great heavyweight of my teen era... that loss is the reason i dont follow any individual fighter as being on a bandwagon so to say...

Yup that was the fight that made me realize any man could be beat. So I'm not a fan of anyone, I just have fighters I admire.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 6 2010, 06:48 PM) *

+2

This is the fight I compare Floyd vs Shane to. A young man beating up a old man. However I get sick satisfaction from watching Leonard take a licking.
Keith
Mayweather vs Mosley.

I am seriously depressed.

I was hurtin everytime Nas gave Shane a talking to in the corner.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 7 2010, 12:39 AM) *
Yup that was the fight that made me realize any man could be beat. So I'm not a fan of anyone, I just have fighters I admire.

The only fighter who has never disappointed me even when he has lost and that is Bernard Hopkins! Big Time Fan! When he undressed Trinidad was one of the finest moments in boxing for me!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 07:57 PM) *
The only fighter who has never disappointed me even when he has lost and that is Bernard Hopkins! Big Time Fan! When he undressed Trinidad was one of the finest moments in boxing for me!

Same here, I can watch that fight while eating beakfast. If I had a blueprint for a young fighter on how to break someone down it would be that masterpiece.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Keith @ May 6 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Mayweather vs Mosley.

I am seriously depressed.

I was hurtin everytime Nas gave Shane a talking to in the corner.

Hang in there bro. For some reason I am holding up okay, I am disappointed for sure but not to wrecked like I have been in the past. Crazy how attached we get to fighters.

Look at my Sig and get a good laugh... everybody else does.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 09:57 PM) *

NOW there was a fighter who talked the talk and more than backed it up that night.
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ May 6 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Only two fights pissed me off - Taylor's loss to Chavez and Hagler's loss to Leonard.

PS - Greatest thread title of all time.

I think Nate Campbell once wrote a little sonnet with that title after he got stopped by Robbie Peden seconds after some lame attempt at show-boating.
GARCIA
Roy Jones Loss to Tarver was devastating
and
Roy Jones Loss to Calzaghe! I was so Sure that he was gonna win especially after the first round
Mino
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ May 7 2010, 12:06 AM) *
Same here, I can watch that fight while eating beakfast. If I had a blueprint for a young fighter on how to break someone down it would be that masterpiece.

Bastards...That was the worst night of boxing in my life..Watching Trinidad getting dismantled like that was awful..I drank myself into an oblivion that night
enigma1969
QUOTE (Mino @ May 7 2010, 03:00 PM) *
Bastards...That was the worst night of boxing in my life..Watching Trinidad getting dismantled like that was awful..I drank myself into an oblivion that night

LMAO!

Sorry bro, but that was an masterpiece by Bhops. Being an Hopkins fan from back in the days when he was fighting on BET! Yes, BET had boxing on and watching him on Fox Sports.

I was telling everyone that he would beat Tito. And I have much respect for Trinidad and I followed his rise through the ranks. It was an great night.

But that's enough ...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I've never been really upset after a fighter I want to win gets beat. It's just a sporting event, and most the time the fighter will get another shot.

However, one fight really had an effect on me. That was the Levander Johnson-Jesus Chavez fight. I had a fight three weeks after that fight happened. It was just devestating to hear that he was in a coma, and then he died. It really opens you up and makes you think what is important in life. Winning and losing means nothing when you deal with those type of situations. It's unfortunate that it happened like that, and I thought about that in the gym for the next couple weeks. Those are the risks of boxing though, and I wish that on no fighter. That's super tough on the fighter inflicting the damage, and the family of the fighter who dies.

Same thing happend to Jake Bentz, a local fighter in Minnesota. He was a tough heavyweight, and had bleeding on the brain after a sparring session. He later died. Those are the situations that really hurt me.
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 7 2010, 12:57 AM) *
NOW there was a fighter who talked the talk and more than backed it up that night.

Except for when he said he'd never lose to a white boy. Watching him stink it up against Calzaghe wasn't exactly a proud moment. LOL.
Method
Fuck man, he beat that white boy. I dont give a fuck.

You dont get points for this...

You get points for this...

thehype
Yeah...I hear ya Meth...I got him beating Slappy too..but still, just the fact that he even let Slappy hang with him....that's just so, so disappointing. And that goes for Jermain Taylor too....Hops should have WRECKED both of them. Well, at least, in the end, he did wreck one of them. LOL.
buford54
Mayweather - Castillo 1

I thought JCC clearly won a close fight in the first fight. I heard the scores of 116-111, 115-113 and 115-111 and I knew that JCC had won! Then I heard Floyd's name. Mind you, this was while Floyd was still with Arum and Floyd had started to bad mouth him all over the place. Immediately after the fight, Floyd started talking about how Arum was the best promoter in the word.
It still irks me that Floyd has the whole "unbeaten" aura.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.