Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst Ref Ever?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
okay this is the very first I've ever seen of Edwin Valero fighting. I'd heard of him mostly in the last year but had never seen him fight. I was interested so I went to youtube and this is the first one I brought up.

I think he has this awkward fighting style, and I believe he would have been eaten alive if he went in against Pacquiao.

That said, what the fuck is up with this ref? Pitalua went down in the 2nd right off the bat. He got up he could barely stand, wobbling all over, and the ref lets him go. He gets knocked down again, gets up is 90% out on his feet, but is saying that he's fine, and the REF LETS HIM GO! And then he stands back as Valero just pounds on this poor fucker at least ten shots or so before he steps in and calls it.

Fucking worthless ref, I don't know who he is but damn he sucks

enigma1969
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 6 2010, 07:45 AM) *
okay this is the very first I've ever seen of Edwin Valero fighting. I'd heard of him mostly in the last year but had never seen him fight. I was interested so I went to youtube and this is the first one I brought up.

I think he has this awkward fighting style, and I believe he would have been eaten alive if he went in against Pacquiao.

That said, what the fuck is up with this ref? Pitalua went down in the 2nd right off the bat. He got up he could barely stand, wobbling all over, and the ref lets him go. He gets knocked down again, gets up is 90% out on his feet, but is saying that he's fine, and the REF LETS HIM GO! And then he stands back as Valero just pounds on this poor fucker at least ten shots or so before he steps in and calls it.

Fucking worthless ref, I don't know who he is but damn he sucks

Well it all depends on what you want out of the ref ... some refs base their judgement on the fighters history in the ring. Meaning, if you were a ref would you stop a Gatti (RIP) or Holyfield fight quick? Both of them were know for taking punishment but having the ability to come back.

The worse ref ever?

Who was the ref for Dirrell- King Arthur? I forgot his name but he's pretty damn bad.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 5 2010, 11:49 PM) *
Well it all depends on what you want out of the ref ... some refs base their judgement on the fighters history in the ring. Meaning, if you were a ref would you stop a Gatti (RIP) or Holyfield fight quick? Both of them were know for taking punishment but having the ability to come back.

The worse ref ever?

Who was the ref for Dirrell- King Arthur? I forgot his name but he's pretty damn bad.

You make a good point with the Gatti/Holyfield comments, but if you see this fight, the damn guy could barely balance without falling over. I don't recall Gatti and Holy being so out of it they were wobbling around while the guy was doing the eight count, where if they had to walk a few feet it looks like they'd just fall face first like Morrison getting KTFO by Mercer.
JonnyBlaze
Worst ref ever??Well a EXTREMELY bad ref was the one who reffed Paret/Griffith where Griffith killed Paret..The ref let Griffith hit Paret with about 20 unawnsered punches..0
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 6 2010, 10:01 AM) *
Worst ref ever??Well a EXTREMELY bad ref was the one who reffed Paret/Griffith where Griffith killed Paret..The ref let Griffith hit Paret with about 20 unawnsered punches..0

Paret got what he was asking for. Don't call a man a faggot unless you wanna take your chances.

There have been some shockers for sure oine standout in particular was Tony Perez in the 2nd Clay vs Frazier fight he was simply dishonourable.
Douchebag
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 6 2010, 05:01 AM) *

How is that fighting in your avatar?
STEVENSKI
If it is who it is Joe Louis bustin up Jersey Joe
D-MARV
Yup, That's the "Brown Bomber".
Snoop
QUOTE (enigma1969 @ May 6 2010, 06:49 AM) *

Laurence Cole
enigma1969
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 6 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Laurence Cole

Thanks Snoop. He is terrible.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 6 2010, 06:56 AM) *
If it is who it is Joe Louis bustin up Jersey Joe

Yup,fight 2 with Walcott..Bad ass fight..Everytime I watch that KO,I wonder how Walcott lived on..
Nay_Sayer
Richard Steele, by a mile...
Jack 1000
Roger Yanez: The worst ref for the single isolated incident of letting Bernard Benton take about 35 power shots from Alex Garcia while not even in camera range. And than instead of stopping it, he appears to give begin an 8-count. I think he might have seen a commissioner coming in and than stopped it.

Joey Curtis: For inconsistency: He stopped the Leonard-Ranzany fight too late and stopped Dokes-Weaver I when Weaver was fine following a knock down and a few more punches mostly landed on Weaver's gloves, However, this was about three weeks after Duek-Koo-Kim died in the same ring so there was some justified concern there.

Tony Perez: Missed some important calls. Credited Roldan with a bogus knockdown of Hagler in the opening moments of round 1, Had bells in his ears when Ali had Frazier in some trouble in round 2. (Stopped the fight thinking he had heard the bell ring.) And allowed Ray Mercer to punch a near comatose Tommy Morrison with over 15-unanswered power punches before stopping the fight.

Jack
Byrd Man
okay I may have exaggerated a bit with the "worst ref ever" as there have been some truly atrocious jobs by refs.

Richard Steele in the Chavez/Taylor I fight just makes me angry as hell.

I think some of the suggestions lean towards incompetence more than anything resembling corruption. I think Steele's was probably out of genuine concern for Taylor, but he should have realized the fight was over, and Chavez would never have laid another glove on Taylor before the bell rang.

That said it IS easier for us to sit back and judge when we've had the benefits of fifty camera angles it seems.

Romulus9
Jack, you beat me to it.

Roger Yanez.

Anyone who votes for anyone else has never watched Garcia-Benton. I'll upload the round on YouTube later today and let people see it.

It's absolutely shameful.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 6 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Jack, you beat me to it.

Roger Yanez.

Anyone who votes for anyone else has never watched Garcia-Benton. I'll upload the round on YouTube later today and let people see it.

It's absolutely shameful.

I remember watching that fight live a long time ago. BAR NONE that is the worst stoppage ever!!!
JLUVBABY
by far the worst ref of all times is the ref for the thomas hearns dennis andries fight... his name is issac herrerra... watch and enjoy... lol.... i actually taped this fight back in the day... would go back and watch over and over... my favorite line from the ref... "no more push"....

hope you guys enjoy this... side note if you guys remember emmanuel steward would go on to train dennis andries... andries was so impressed with hearns ability he fired his trainer after this fight and signed with steward and actually won another belt after this loss against jeff harding... all these fights took place back when you could still get quality championship fights on regular tv... these fights where all on abc's wide world of sports...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 6 2010, 02:03 PM) *
Roger Yanez: The worst ref for the single isolated incident of letting Bernard Benton take about 35 power shots from Alex Garcia while not even in camera range. And than instead of stopping it, he appears to give begin an 8-count. I think he might have seen a commissioner coming in and than stopped it.

Joey Curtis: For inconsistency: He stopped the Leonard-Ranzany fight too late and stopped Dokes-Weaver I when Weaver was fine following a knock down and a few more punches mostly landed on Weaver's gloves, However, this was about three weeks after Duek-Koo-Kim died in the same ring so there was some justified concern there.

Tony Perez: Missed some important calls. Credited Roldan with a bogus knockdown of Hagler in the opening moments of round 1, Had bells in his ears when Ali had Frazier in some trouble in round 2. (Stopped the fight thinking he had heard the bell ring.) And allowed Ray Mercer to punch a near comatose Tommy Morrison with over 15-unanswered power punches before stopping the fight.

Jack

i remember that benton fight... usa's tuesday night fights... that was scary... benton could have gotten killed in that one....
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 6 2010, 02:30 PM) *
I think some of the suggestions lean towards incompetence more than anything resembling corruption. I think Steele's was probably out of genuine concern for Taylor, but he should have realized the fight was over, and Chavez would never have laid another glove on Taylor before the bell rang.

That said it IS easier for us to sit back and judge when we've had the benefits of fifty camera angles it seems.

WTF?!?

Steele was standing *right in front of* Taylor and he could see, just lick everyone else in the universe who happened to be watching, that Taylor was ok and taking instructions from his corner.

Is is just a coincidence that Steele doesn't get big fights any more?

I think not.

May that rat bastard burn in hell....
Method
"Dirty" Dick Steele.

"Shady" Nady close runner-up.

Joe Cortez.
mrwigi
Fucking Joe Fucking Cortez... That guy pisses me off something terrible...
Hittman25
that is laurence cole in that fight
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 6 2010, 08:03 PM) *
Tony Perez: Missed some important calls. Credited Roldan with a bogus knockdown of Hagler in the opening moments of round 1, Had bells in his ears when Ali had Frazier in some trouble in round 2. (Stopped the fight thinking he had heard the bell ring.)

He also allowed several hundread clinches to be initaited by Clay spoiling the momentum of the fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.