Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think Pac-Margarito is next
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
If Margarito wins this Saturday I think he will get a shot at Pacquiao next. It's going to be a mismatch and Margarito probably wont win a round and get stopped sometime from 7-9.
D-MARV
I hope Margarito gets to use his bricks.
The CEO
Figures....Margarito is farther downhill than Cotto is....I'd even give Berto a good chance of beatin' Margarito at this point...lol
JD
QUOTE (BigG @ May 6 2010, 09:28 PM) *
If Margarito wins this Saturday I think he will get a shot at Pacquiao next. It's going to be a mismatch too and Margarito probably wont win a round and get stopped sometime from 7-9.

I think it has been a certainty for some time that this fight is next if the Mayweather fight does not happen, which it probably won't. Arum has actually said that this fight would be next.

First Margarito has to win on Saturday though...he has been on the shelf for a while, and everything I read about Garcia is that he is legit.
D-MARV
Pacquiao will fight Margarito and then a Cotto rematch from what I read LMAO!!! I bet if Cotto wins his next fight, Pacquiao will fight him for the 154lb title @ 150.

(Of course this is if a Mayweather fight never happens)
JD
What is better for Top Rank, Cotto or Foreman winning?
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 6 2010, 09:30 PM) *

They won't have any effect on pacman's master head. NONE.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 6 2010, 10:04 PM) *
What is better for Top Rank, Cotto or Foreman winning?

It would be better for us to see Foreman win. If Cotto wins, a rematch with Pacquiao becomes possible. And Pacquiao will pick up a title in his 9th weight class.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 6 2010, 10:27 PM) *
It would be better for us to see Foreman win. If Cotto wins, a rematch with Pacquiao becomes possible. And Pacquiao will pick up a title in his 9th weight class.

I was talking from Top Ranks perspective. Something tells me Arum would rather see Foreman win.
D-MARV
Foreman will win the fight... He may not get the decision but he will win the fight.
JD
Actually, the opposite scenario would not surprise me either.

As an aside...when I stood next to Foreman I was stunned by how small he was.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 6 2010, 09:30 PM) *

shok.gif laugh.gif

Let us pray to the boxing Gods that this fight takes place in Mexico.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ May 6 2010, 10:58 PM) *
shok.gif laugh.gif

Let us pray to the boxing Gods that this fight takes place in Mexico.

Considering that Margarito was actually caught with plaster of paris falling out of his wraps that is a pretty tasteless thing to say.

I sincerely hope Manny gives him the face transplant I've been wating to see him receive since Richardson caught him out that night.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 6 2010, 11:06 PM) *
Considering that Margarito was actually caught with plaster of paris falling out of his wraps that is a pretty tasteless thing to say.

I sincerely hope Manny gives him the face transplant I've been wating to see him receive since Richardson caught him out that night.

There both cheaters so who gives a fuck?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 6 2010, 11:13 PM) *
There both cheaters so who gives a fuck?

To the best of my knowledge Pac has never been found guilty of breaking any laws/rules when it comes to boxing. Feel free to correct me on that one.
EpTXCHAMP
Seriously would u guys support this fight if it were to happen? I mean I think not only the boxing fans would frown on this fight but the media as well I wouldn't expect killer ppv numbers for this fight
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ May 6 2010, 09:29 PM) *
I was talking from Top Ranks perspective. Something tells me Arum would rather see Foreman win.

Judging from the NUMEROUS press releases I've received regarding Yuri Foreman...an E:60 story, an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, some shit about spending time with kids....YURI FOREMAN IS DEFINITELY WHO TOP RANK EXPECTS TO WIN!

This fight is a setup...Miguel Cotto is being put out to pasture. Cotto will HAVE to KO Foreman just to get a DRAW! As long as Yuri Foreman is standing, he wins the fight easy...okay...maybe not THAT easy, but easy enough to make the Cotto fans cry and wonder what happened to their hero, who will look even worse that before as he tries to implement the gameplan of Manny Steward. LOL.

Margarito won't look spectacular this weekend either...hell, his ass might even lose. Besides, any victory over Margarito now loses a little luster given the beatdown that Mosley already gave him.

Expect PEDuiao vs. Foreman later this year, as the ounce-for-ounce king tries to capture an 8th world title.

And if you got a little extra dough laying around when that fight does happen, don't be afraid to lay it down on Foreman, who will find it surprisingly easy to hit the target. He still might lose, especially given that it will likely go to the scorecards and the judges will be impressed by the gnat-like movements of the PEDuiao, but the PEDuiao will look horrible at the end of the fight, leaving a lot of fans not so eager to see what Floyd will do to him.

laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ May 7 2010, 03:29 AM) *

Agreed. A Cotto rematch would be hard to sell being that Pac dismantled him the first time around.
Snoop
QUOTE (BigG @ May 7 2010, 02:28 AM) *
If Margarito wins this Saturday I think he will get a shot at Pacquiao next. It's going to be a mismatch and Margarito probably wont win a round and get stopped sometime from 7-9.

If Pacquiao faces Margarito next, I hope the fucking stadium collapses on both of them.
RyanTical
Oh well. Bob Arum is going to ride Pacquiao out against every Top Rank boxer possible. Pacquiao-Margarito, Pacquiao-Cotto 2, don't be suprised if you don't see Pacquiao-Khan. Top Rank & Goldenboy making a killing....without Mayweather.
pesticid
QUOTE (RyanTical @ May 7 2010, 02:10 AM) *
Oh well. Bob Arum is going to ride Pacquiao out against every Top Rank boxer possible. Pacquiao-Margarito, Pacquiao-Cotto 2, don't be suprised if you don't see Pacquiao-Khan. Top Rank & Goldenboy making a killing....without Mayweather.

Yep, he makes 33.3 % of each fighter, which equals 66.6% when he has two in house fighters, hence his lack of motivation to push Pac to take the tests against Mayweather
RyanTical
7-in-7, Fans love him, considered an all-time-great, even the greatest of all time. In reality, he doesn't need Mayweather and could go on fighting, I wont say 'lesser' fighters but fighters that will do anywhere between 500k-800k in PPV buys. That is enough to skate by on while Mayweather either fights at 147 or somewhere at 154. The hardcore Boxing public will frown on it but I don't think it will be enough to label Pacquiao as a 'ducker'.

That title has been specifically attached to Mayweather for quite some time and will continue on until he retires, with or without Pacquiao on his resume.
pesticid
QUOTE (RyanTical @ May 7 2010, 02:34 AM) *
7-in-7, Fans love him, considered an all-time-great, even the greatest of all time. In reality, he doesn't need Mayweather and could go on fighting, I wont say 'lesser' fighters but fighters that will do anywhere between 500k-800k in PPV buys. That is enough to skate by on while Mayweather either fights at 147 or somewhere at 154. The hardcore Boxing public will frown on it but I don't think it will be enough to label Pacquiao as a 'ducker'.

That title has been specifically attached to Mayweather for quite some time and will continue on until he retires, with or without Pacquiao on his resume.

Post of the night
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 7 2010, 01:21 AM) *
Yep, he makes 33.3 % of each fighter, which equals 66.6% when he has two in house fighters, hence his lack of motivation to push Pac to take the tests against Mayweather

Some basic maths. If Pac makes $10 million for a fight Arum would then make $3.3 million. If his opponent was to make $2 million Arums cut would be $660,000.

The total paid to the fighters would be $12 million yeah? Arums cut would be $3.96 million. Tell me how this equals 66% of the revenue? Look still good dough but I sure hope you get an accountant to do your tax return each year.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (RyanTical @ May 7 2010, 01:34 AM) *

I would say lesser fighters. PBF is the gold standard right now bar none as is Manny for Floyd. However as his Floydness may say, "if it makes money it makes sense" and the fact is Manny can make a shitload of dough fighting other Top Wank guys.
pesticid
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 7 2010, 02:51 AM) *
Some basic maths. If Pac makes $10 million for a fight Arum would then make $3.3 million. If his opponent was to make $2 million Arums cut would be $660,000.

The total paid to the fighters would be $12 million yeah? Arums cut would be $3.96 million. Tell me how this equals 66% of the revenue? Look still good dough but I sure hope you get an accountant to do your tax return each year.

Where did I say revenue? He keeps both fighters busy and get percentage from both of them. I do my taxes myself and I am pretty good at it lol.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 7 2010, 02:18 AM) *
Where did I say revenue? He keeps both fighters busy and get percentage from both of them. I do my taxes myself and I am pretty good at it lol.

Not if you think 33% of each fighter equals 66% in total.
pesticid
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 7 2010, 03:19 AM) *
Not if you think 33% of each fighter equals 66% in total.

Is this a play opf words now, maybe I shoud've said 33.3 from Cotto and 33.3 from Pacman and 33.3 from Clottey and so on and so forth, why bother
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 7 2010, 02:21 AM) *
Is this a play opf words now, maybe I shoud've said 33.3 from Cotto and 33.3 from Pacman and 33.3 from Clottey and so on and so forth, why bother

Maybe you should've. laugh.gif

JD
QUOTE (thehype @ May 7 2010, 12:17 AM) *
Judging from the NUMEROUS press releases I've received regarding Yuri Foreman...an E:60 story, an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, some shit about spending time with kids....YURI FOREMAN IS DEFINITELY WHO TOP RANK EXPECTS TO WIN!

Which is where I was going with it.

Beyond expectation, they WANT Foreman to win.
JD

LMFAO!

Jesus...
D-MARV
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 7 2010, 01:01 AM) *
If Pacquiao faces Margarito next, I hope the fucking stadium collapses on both of them.

Well said... By The Way, You're a Floyd Hugger.
D-MARV

LMFAO...

thehype

You're just referring to his cut from their purses. You need to take into account the PPV revenue, as well as the international rights and a number of other avenues that these promoters make money (sponsors, etc.). There's a whole hell of a lot more money floating around out there that you and a lot of other fans have no idea about...and you best believe that Bob Arum would much rather keep that "other money" in-house as opposed to sharing it with another promoter. Truth be told, the actual money that Arum would make off of their purse is way smaller than the amount he stands to generate from the "other money"...I mean, why the heck do you think he's doing all these Latin Fury and Pinoy Power PPV events? You don't think he's doing them for the money that's he's making off the purses, do you?

laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (thehype @ May 7 2010, 10:52 AM) *
You're just referring to his cut from their purses. You need to take into account the PPV revenue, as well as the international rights and a number of other avenues that these promoters make money (sponsors, etc.). There's a whole hell of a lot more money floating around out there that you and a lot of other fans have no idea about...and you best believe that Bob Arum would much rather keep that "other money" in-house as opposed to sharing it with another promoter. Truth be told, the actual money that Arum would make off of their purse is way smaller than the amount he stands to generate from the "other money"...I mean, why the heck do you think he's doing all these Latin Fury and Pinoy Power PPV events? You don't think he's doing them for the money that's he's making off the purses, do you?

laugh.gif

No not at all Hype, without knowing the dollars and cents I know enough to understand that a promoter's dollars come from a variety of souces and I completely understand Arum's motivation for keeping it 'in-house.'

I was just trying to help a dude who seemed to think that 33% of one fighter's purse plus 33% of another fighter's purse does not equal 66% of the total purse (but maybe Bob Arum has managed to sell that scenario to Manny laugh.gif )
Hops
Another aspect that people seem to don't take into account: MONEY SPENT ON PROMOTION.

Bob Arum practically went silent on Pac vs Clottey. I thought I've read some people here "LTAO" (laughing their asses off) and wondering why Top Rank was so silent when Pac Clottey was 1 week away.

Bob Arum can simply put Pacquiao against Margarito and not promote the fight full blast, do it at Cowboy's Stadium, and still get 700,000 PPV buys. And oh, this fight will be again be branded as "FIXED".

The implication of Arum having this option is actually forcing GBP to loosen Floyd's hold on their necks.
PR316
Pacquiao is gonna cut Margarito to pieces.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Who said Margarito can't take it to Manny? Margarito is a legit 147 pounder, who will put the pressure on Manny all night. Take out the Mosley performance, and this man has walked through some of the best welterweights out there. He whooped on Cintron, walked down Cotto, walked down Clottey, and fought an extremely competitve fight with Paul Williams. I haven't watched last night, but he won every round after dropping the dude in the first round. The guy can still fight with the best. People will write him off after the mosley performance, but no man would be in the right mind set after what happened to him. He wasn't mentally there and it showed. People can make their judgements about Tony, but I don't think he had loaded wraps before the Mosley fight. There's no evidence there to say he did. IF Pac-Mayweather can't get made, I really wouldn't mind seeing Margarito get the shot. At least he won't sit there with his hands up all night. He'll try to walk Pac down, and he'll go to that body of Pac once he traps his ass on those ropes. Cotto head hunted once Pac got on those ropes, but Margarito will dig to that body. This can slow Pacquiao down, and he won't be throwing 1000 shots the whole fight. Pacuqiao may actually have a fight in the late rounds, and the little guy may not survive. I know ill get heat for saying that, but I still think the Tornado has some fight left in him.
salvador
QUOTE (thehype @ May 7 2010, 09:52 AM) *

laugh.gif

I think Fighthype needs to do a story on the math/economics of PPV boxing - what the cable companies get, what HBO gets, what the fighters get, what the promoters get, and where all the money comes from outside of ticket and PPV sales. (And yes, it's easy to imagine that's confidential info and that it's all negotiable - except with comcast ect. - but the basics would be extremely interesting.) That's the story that will win you the Pulitzer.
pesticid
QUOTE (salvador @ May 9 2010, 03:00 PM) *
I think Fighthype needs to do a story on the math/economics of PPV boxing - what the cable companies get, what HBO gets, what the fighters get, what the promoters get, and where all the money comes from outside of ticket and PPV sales. (And yes, it's easy to imagine that's confidential info and that it's all negotiable - except with comcast ect. - but the basics would be extremely interesting.) That's the story that will win you the Pulitzer.

That would be excellent actually if it could happen even with general numbers. There are so many questions, like 33.3% from figthers' purse, trainers getting 10% or a flat fee, managers getting like 10% of the fighter's purse (I think Hayman might be making a lot more and is it him or Loui Dibella that is getting the 33.3% from Andre Berto?), cutman's fee, the guy who wraps Floyd's hands, WBO,WBC,IBFs' fees. Strenght and conditioning experts like Alex Ariza, is he getting paid by Freddie? I don`t think Pacquio`s advisor is making as much money as Al Haymon, but he probably makes as much as Leonard Ellerbe. Commercial deals, Pacman`s nike and Floyd`s reebok? Cazadorez, budwiser, corona and many other logos on the ring. I think cable companies make the most from the pay per view business but I really don`t know. Promotion money, how much money is spent on it and by whom, how much do the networks invest, how much do the promoters invest? Licensing fees, for example HBO or Showtime pays this kind of money for the fight to take place on BAD and I guess from these licensing fees the promoters get their money and their fighters` money, but how about the live gate, they get that too? How much does Madison Square Garden charge for Cotto`s fights there? How much do sparring partners cost, who covers training camp expenses, fighters or promoters? If the fight doesn`t happen due to an injury, who covers the training expenses? How do international broadcasts work in terms of money? How much do commissions make? Concessions, do they pay Bob Arum to sell food and drinks in MSG when he`s booked and paid for the place for a particular night? How much do broadcasters get? Ring card girls, who hires them, do they get paid, do promoters go to stripclubs and get them there?
Taxes, how much are taxes in different states in U.S., do promoters pay less tax on revenue than a fighter because they are a company and not an individual, is this the reason many fighters form their own promotional companies? Do you pay to attend certain weigh-ins? How much money is made of merchandize by promoters, how much merchandize is actaully being sold in the boxing venues?
Too many questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.