Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Better Career: Oscar or Shane?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
Who would you give the nod to as far as better career? Obviously a lot of people would point to Oscar just because of his cross over success and his PPV success, but strictly on the basis of wins and losses, who do you give it to?

The knock on Oscar is that a lot of his big time opponents, he lost to.

I don't think this is an open and shut case....

Who ya got?
Box in Hand
It has to be Oscar because he pretty much carried the sport on his back after Tyson. Yeah he did lose to all of his elite opposition but I don't think I've heard of him ducking anyone. He just wanted to fight the best. Also, Oscar had one of the most impeccable jabs I have ever seen (Top 5 for me). Shane just doesn't do it for me. His style is kinda ugly and he seemed to fall to shit after Vernon beat him. Also, Shane was rumored to have ducked Floyd and he definately ducked PWill. He struggled with limited fighters as well. Oscar gave everyone trouble to include Mayweather. Only Pac whooped him easy and that had a lot to do with him being a walking skeleton.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Tough question. I probably agree with Viper Sniper, Mosley may carry it due to his 2 wins over Fishnets (although it should probably read 1-1.) Problem is finding common opponents. Vargas and Mayorag being 2 that Goldie did much better against than Shane also because Goldie fought the 'primer' versions.

Goldie did avoid both Winky and Vernon whom Shane fought 4 times. I think Shane would've done OK against Trinidad as well. Can I call it a draw?
pesticid
I'd say Oscar, better resume more challenging fights, and when he lost decisions he lost them close. Mosley won like 3 or 4 rounds against Winky And Vernon in 48 rounds, that's not good.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 7 2010, 03:02 AM) *
I'd say Oscar, better resume more challenging fights, and when he lost decisions he lost them close. Mosley won like 3 or 4 rounds against Winky And Vernon in 48 rounds, that's not good.

At least Shane fought them.
King Eugene
As a whole including opposition, impact on the sport, money made along with popularity then its Oscar Hands down. Just off in ring accomplishments its a toss up.
GARCIA
I say Oscar 4sure.. He made more $Money$ and got Alot more attention.. Shane might be a better fighter but Oscar had the better career.
BigG
VERY close. But since Shane is 2-0 vs Oscar maybe slight edge to Mosley.
streetlion1
The better fighter was Oscar hands down....the better career has to be Oscar. His loss against Pacman aside where he was drained and dehydrated and the ill advised fight against B-Hop all his losses left questions. I thought him and Mosley went 1 and 1 in their fights even though Mosley was given both. IMO he fought the better opposition and in the process...he gave the best P4P fighter Floyd Mayweather a much tougher challenge than Mosley did at a time when he was past it as well. Im a fan of both guys but when comparing them Mosley comes up a little bit short.
Big Slim Sweet
Close but I give Mosley the edge based on his 2-0 record against Oscar (which I happen to agree with) as well as the fact I think he fought the overall tougher comp.

4 fights with Vernon and Winky trump 1 with Hopkins. Oscar has some better names on his resume like Whitaker and Chavez but they weren't in their primes.

Oscar has 5 high profile disputable fights, the losses to Tito and the Mosley rematch and the wins over Ike, Pea and Strum.

Mosley has 2 high profile disputable fights, the loss to Cotto and the rematch over Oscar.

I think the disputed rematch over Oscar doesn't hurt Mosley given that he won their first fight fairly decisively.

Oscar was the better boxer with more one-punch power and mentally stronger.

Shane was the better fighter with more stamina and physically tougher.

Both have/had great chins.

It's very close.
blackbelt2003
Let's look at their big fights:

DE LA HOYA................MOSLEY

W 12 Whitaker............ W 12 De La Hoya
W 12 Quartey................W 12 De La Hoya
TKO 4 Chavez................L 12 Forrest
TKO 8 Chavez ...............L 12 Forrest
KO 2 Ruelas..................L 12 Mayweather
L 12 Trinidad.................L 12 Wright
TKO 11 Vargas..............L 12 Wright
KO'd 9 Hopkins.............TKO 8 Margarito
TKO 6 Mayorga..............L 12 Cotto
L 12 Mayweather

Looking at that, I gotta give the edge to DLH, even if you factor in that some would score the Whitaker fight against Goldie, because some also consider DLH to have beaten Trinidad. DLH also performed better against Mayweather, and I haven't included Mosley's fights with Mayorga and Vargas because they weren't big fights like when the same guys took on DLH. I suppose I could have included Mosley beating Holliday, Leija or Molina at lightweight, but they just weren't big fights, either, and then I'd have to include a whole of bunch of DLH's.

Black
Nay_Sayer
Shane beat the better opposition. Period.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 7 2010, 06:27 PM) *
Shane beat the better opposition. Period.

Huh?

I just listed the opposition, and the only big wins Shane had were against Oscar himself and Margarito.

And considering the majority thought Oscar won the second Mosley match, that doesn't ring true.

Mosley FOUGHT the better opposition...he didn't BEAT them, though. And even against COMPARITIVE opponents, Oscar had the better results....Mayweather, Vargas, Mayorga.

Plus factor in that Oscar defeated CHAVEZ at JR WELTER and even WHITAKER (although it was a disputed decision), how can you say Shane beat better opposition? How does Margarito compare with beating undefeated, prime Quartey, or the guys I just mentioned?

Black
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 7 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Plus factor in that Oscar defeated CHAVEZ at JR WELTER and even WHITAKER (although it was a disputed decision), how can you say Shane beat better opposition?

Shane is 2-0 against Oscar, correct?
ShowbizAG
Oscar's wins over Quartey, Whitaker and Sturm are questionable at best. Shane has only one controversial win that being his win over Oscar (II).

Shane would have also destroyed an older Chavez so I'm not sure why thats mentioned. Shane (as mentioned) fought guys that Oscar not only avoided but had opportunities to make fights with four times (Winky & the late Forrest). Oscar never once uttered these guys names but they've called him out plenty of times. Shane gets credit for that.

Shane wouldn't have keeled over from a body shot against Hopkins the way Oscar did.

The only thing Oscar has over Shane is how he finished off Mayorga but to me that cancels each other out.

SmartyBeardo
SSM aint done.

Maybe ODLH should come back and settle this issue with SSM.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (ShowbizAG @ May 7 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Oscar's wins over Quartey, Whitaker and Sturm are questionable at best. Shane has only one controversial win that being his win over Oscar (II).

Shane would have also destroyed an older Chavez so I'm not sure why thats mentioned. Shane (as mentioned) fought guys that Oscar not only avoided but had opportunities to make fights with four times (Winky & the late Forrest). Oscar never once uttered these guys names but they've called him out plenty of times. Shane gets credit for that.

Shane wouldn't have keeled over from a body shot against Hopkins the way Oscar did.

The only thing Oscar has over Shane is how he finished off Mayorga but to me that cancels each other out.

Strong 1st post.

It depends how you look at it ......if it's strictly on accomplishments in the ring I would say Mosley if you are going by total package stuff like popularity etc. than it's Oscar.

The only reason Oscar's resume might look nicer to some is because he fought quite a few people who were passed their prime with big names and even then got questionable decisions. Add in the fact that Mosley has never been stopped and fought dudes Oscar was shook to get in the ring with and he gets this easily imo and he doesn't wear fishnets (that we know of) no homo.
thehype
Mosley hands down! If the idiot judges would have scored his fights against Whitaker, Quartey and Sturm correctly, De La Hoya's resume wouldn't be looking quite so spectacular. Oscar De La Hoya is definitely the biggest LOSER in boxing.

laugh.gif

The Hype has spoken!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.