Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lennox Lewis told to GTFO by HBO.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Romulus9
News per Dan Rafael at ESPN:

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, a staple at ringside as an analyst for HBO's "Boxing After Dark" series since 2006, has been let go by the network.

Lewis, who did not return telephone messages, worked his final broadcast on April 24 when he was part of the telecast headlined by the Tomasz Adamek-Cristobal Arreola heavyweight fight.

"After four years with HBO's 'Boxing After Dark,' Lennox Lewis will be leaving his post as commentator to begin fundraising efforts for his international training academy," HBO said in a statement attributed to Lewis's handlers. "Lennox is looking forward to developing a state of the art training facility for young boxers to improve their competitiveness in professional competition. Lewis also continues to explore innovative business ventures and film and television projects."

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com that leaving was not Lewis' decision and the network did not want him back. Lewis, who was heavily criticized for his on-air style, was informed of the decision late last week.

His contract expired and he was not offered a new deal, according to sources.

Lewis, 44, was three times a heavyweight champion, including becoming undisputed champion in 1999 when he outpointed Evander Holyfield in a rematch of their controversial draw. He defended the title with a sixth-round TKO of Vitali Klitschko in June 2003 and announced his retirement in early 2004.

In mid-2006, he was hired by HBO, for which he had been a cornerstone fighter for many years, to serve as an expert commentator on "Boxing After Dark" working alongside blow-by-blow announcer Bob Papa and analyst Max Kellerman.

Lewis (41-2-1, 32 KOs) won a 1988 Olympic gold medalist for Canada and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2009, his first year of eligibility.

kidbazooka1
Thanks god Lewis was f*cking horrible.

They should bring back Jones.
JLUVBABY
i read a diffrent article that says lennox quit to start raising money for a new training facility he's building... i dont like him or dis like him... personally i never liked him as a fighter (though i fully respected his skills) thought he did ok as an analyst.... any way this is the article ... lennox gives notice...
KookedKrack
Thank the Gods.......

Kellerman your next breh smile_anim.gif
Method
He fought like a GIANT PUSSY, and he sucked as a color commentator.
Mean Mister Mustard
I feel a bit bad for him but he was given a chance for 4 years and he never seemed to improve. So who will fill his seat? Or will they just keep Steward for the BAD telecasts?
Nay_Sayer
WTF?!?

I don't get it.

Lewis gives HBO what none of their other idiot announcers have - Credibility.

If they canned Lewis then I know Stewart is gonna be next...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 7 2010, 04:10 PM) *

Sumbitch, you better answer my messages to you! lol
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Method @ May 7 2010, 05:41 PM) *
He fought like a GIANT PUSSY, and he sucked as a color commentator.

and he ducked Chris Byrd. BOOOOOOOOOOYAH!

JonnyBlaze
Lennox may not of been the best commentator but he kinda funny sometimes..I'll always like Lennox..
King Eugene
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ May 7 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Thanks god Lewis was f*cking horrible.

+1
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ May 8 2010, 12:40 AM) *
Thank the Gods.......

Kellerman your next breh smile_anim.gif

For whatever reason, Kellerman bugs the shit out of me.

+2

Interesting how both Jones and Tarver are more likable as commentators than fighters these days.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ May 7 2010, 08:28 PM) *

I would worry about Jones these days, a missed punch during the fight could cause a breeze that could KO him while he's announcing. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 8 2010, 03:50 AM) *
I would worry about Jones these days, a missed punch during the fight could cause a breeze that could KO him while he's announcing. laugh.gif

Atleast he wont run after taking a few shots.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 8 2010, 04:06 AM) *
Atleast he wont run after taking a few shots.

Hmmm... he lost to the best fighter in boxing.

Jones could not go two rounds with Danny Green. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 8 2010, 04:21 AM) *
Hmmm... he lost to the best fighter in boxing.

Jones could not go two rounds with Danny Green. laugh.gif

A 40 year old who was 30 times past shot couldn't get past Danny Green. Hey shit happens...well in this case dont happen. laugh.gif
enigma1969
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 8 2010, 12:10 AM) *

GREAT!

Lewis was just not cut out for TV!
enigma1969
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 8 2010, 06:17 AM) *
For whatever reason, Kellerman bugs the shit out of me.

+2

Interesting how both Jones and Tarver are more likable as commentators than fighters these days.

Jones is punch drunk. Traver is excellent.
enigma1969
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 8 2010, 08:50 AM) *

LMAO!

That was classic.
JD
I actually thought Lennox was getting better...he was even starting to grow on me.

I would have much rather seen them boot Manny or Max.

Bring back Roy to replace Manny, boot Max and give Larry all of his assignments. It appears that HBO is looking to have Freddie Roach replace Lennox.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ May 9 2010, 12:11 AM) *
I actually thought Lennox was getting better...he was even starting to grow on me.

I would have much rather seen them boot Manny or Max.

Bring back Roy to replace Manny, boot Max and give Larry all of his assignments. It appears that HBO is looking to have Freddie Roach replace Lennox.

Freddie Roach? Really? I can hardly understand him during interviews.
BGv2.0
Although I thought LL had improved over the last few years, that's not to say he was great. I think a large part of it also has to do with the HW division being so poor.

With LL being a HW....his level of knowledge is best suited for that division....but with the division being so thin and no signs of it ever getting any better anytime soon...I can see why they let him go.

I would have kept him around with a very small contract that used him for international broadcasts, like if they had live coverage from England or whatnot.
HaydelHammer
Bring James Toney up in that piece.

x4 on Jones getting back in there.
Spyder
Lennox sucked balls...he was getting better, but his "better" was still pretty bad broadcasting. I would LOVE to see either Jones or Toney working color for HBO.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 10 2010, 10:29 PM) *
Lennox sucked balls...he was getting better, but his "better" was still pretty bad broadcasting. I would LOVE to see either Jones or Toney working color for HBO.

Best person I think they could bring is Marvin Hagler..His commentating in the past has always been SPOT on..Definitely one of the best boxers turned commentator..
Spyder
I've never heard Hagler's broadcasting...what shows did he work?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 10 2010, 11:43 PM) *
I've never heard Hagler's broadcasting...what shows did he work?

They had him on a few ESPN shows over the years. I think he did well from what I remember.

I could be wrong, but I think he also was commentating the Leonard-Hearns rematch and he was rooting for Hearns in biased fashion by saying "come on Tommy" or something like that. Long time ago, but I thought I remember something like that. It was pretty funny.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 8 2010, 02:50 AM) *

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.