Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mike Tyson on The View
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KENSOFINE
http://www.vladtv.com/video/19184/mike-tys...e-view-part-1-/

http://www.vladtv.com/video/19185/mike-tys...e-view-part-2-/

He talks to Barbara Walters about that interview they did with Robin Givens.

He is more self-aware and internally honest than most people considered intellectuals. He will never be given the credit he deserves OUTSIDE of the ring.
Aware
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ May 8 2010, 07:52 PM) *
http://www.vladtv.com/video/19184/mike-tys...e-view-part-1-/

http://www.vladtv.com/video/19185/mike-tys...e-view-part-2-/

He talks to Barbara Walters about that interview they did with Robin Givens.

He is more self-aware and internally honest than most people considered intellectuals. He will never be given the credit he deserves OUTSIDE of the ring.

Being self-aware and internally honest has nothing to do with intelligence...
Snoop
QUOTE (Aware @ May 9 2010, 01:32 AM) *
Being self-aware and internally honest has nothing to do with intelligence...

Depends on how you define "intelligence" IMO.
Warlord
I've always thought Mike was an intelligent guy. He just isn't a wise one.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 8 2010, 08:57 PM) *

Agreed 110%... Tyson is no wheres near the "DUMB" person people try to make him out to be... he hasnt made the best decisions in his life but that doesnt make him dumb or unintelligent... imo... tyson is the product of what you often get when you put multiple millions of dollars in the hands of a child... and yes i say child... tyson was a multi millionaire by time he was 20... say what you want but imo a 20 years old is not exactly a matured adult in most cases... he acted like a 20 or even a 25 yr old by that time with a bank account with several millions... just my take on the guy... when he's not in his persona of "iron mike" and he just mike tyson and you listen to the guy he's not the person he is made out to be.. personally i'd like to see him as a fight announcer on hbo or showtime.. his boxing iq is off the richter scale...
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 9 2010, 01:57 AM) *

Agreed.
Aware
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 8 2010, 08:50 PM) *
Depends on how you define "intelligence" IMO.

Every concept depends on how you define it. How do you define "intelligence"? I think of intelligence as the ability to process information, reasoning, etc. Kensofine can you elaborate on precisely what you mean by self-aware in this context?
Snoop
QUOTE (Aware @ May 9 2010, 02:46 AM) *
Every concept depends on how you define it. How do you define "intelligence"? I think of intelligence as the ability to process information, reasoning, etc. Kensofine can you elaborate on precisely what you mean by self-aware in this context?

I mean if you wanna talk about text book intelligence and the ability to grasp complex concepts, I'd say Tyson is intelligent as well. He has a pretty strong grasp on history and global philosophy. Even in his crazyass quotes, he's using pretty sophisticated vocabulary and syntax. I've never considered him "stupid" in the textbook sense.

For me, being self-aware and honest translates to emotional intelligence which is just as important as cerebral intelligence. It's pretty known that you can't learned everything through books and to me, Tyson has learned from his experience.

Mike is smart, he just hasn't made smart decisions, which are completely different. His rocky upbringing, the magnitude of his super stardom at such a young age, the leeches that surrounded him, all of that combined to a disastrous career. It's actually quite impressive Mike is able to dissect his life so accurately, and like the OP said, honestly. So yeah, maybe you won't call it "intelligent", but he's definitely not stupid.
Big Slim Sweet
I always thought Mike was very intelligent, but not too smart.
The CEO
I classify Tyson as "mental".
Douchebag
I have a hard time believing that Mike is telling his kids to walk away from a fight with the bully.
Aware
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 8 2010, 10:01 PM) *
I mean if you wanna talk about text book intelligence and the ability to grasp complex concepts, I'd say Tyson is intelligent as well. He has a pretty strong grasp on history and global philosophy. Even in his crazyass quotes, he's using pretty sophisticated vocabulary and syntax. I've never considered him "stupid" in the textbook sense.

For me, being self-aware and honest translates to emotional intelligence which is just as important as cerebral intelligence. It's pretty known that you can't learned everything through books and to me, Tyson has learned from his experience.

Mike is smart, he just hasn't made smart decisions, which are completely different. His rocky upbringing, the magnitude of his super stardom at such a young age, the leeches that surrounded him, all of that combined to a disastrous career. It's actually quite impressive Mike is able to dissect his life so accurately, and like the OP said, honestly. So yeah, maybe you won't call it "intelligent", but he's definitely not stupid.

Based on my observations of him I don't think he's a certified genius, but I don't think he's stupid either. Probably above average intelligence would be my estimation.
Snoop
QUOTE (Aware @ May 9 2010, 05:56 AM) *
Based on my observations of him I don't think he's a certified genius, but I don't think he's stupid either. Probably above average intelligence would be my estimation.

Definitely not a genius but at least smarter than most people give him credit for.
Hops
Mike's spontaneous. As were a lot of fighters with millions of dollars.
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (Aware @ May 8 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Whenever you see Mike Tyson skits, (In Living Color, SNL, Stand Up routines, etc.) the common knock is that he is some unitelligent animal that likes to misuse big words. I am saying that depiction has never been accurate, despite the fact that its a common assumption.

By self-aware, I am referring to his UNAPOLOGETIC...but honest critical assesment of his own personal behavior and what the driving force was behind most of it.

"I talk like a nigger cuz thats all you are going to see me as, anyway. It doesnt matter if I speak to you polite".

"I've been robbed of most of my money, accused of rape...so what if I like to fornicate. After all of that, ya think I could at least get a blow job?"
neophyte7
Mike Tyson is intelligent. He could have very well with the proper environment and proper environmental stimulation, been a college student, and a productive individual outside of boxing... but unfortunately he was caught in the vicious cycle of stereotypical magnetism, whereas he chose to be go with the trend and fulfill the predominant view of the inner city man of color; a thug, a nigger, a killer, etc... He is like unto Tupac Shakur a guy who knew better, but chose to roll with death row anyway because he was addicted to the attention and power that projecting the stereotypical image gave him. Mike Tyson realizes that he has himself to blame for acting like a savage and beast with no knowledge of himself.

I remember Tyson doing commentary at the Hopkins vs Joe Lipsey fight... His commentary and vocabulary was like unto an intellectual.. Not a dummy, a Clown, yes.. dumb no
Method
Whenever you see Mike Tyson skits, (In Living Color, SNL, Stand Up routines, etc.) the common knock is that he is some unitelligent animal that likes to misuse big words. I am saying that depiction has never been accurate, despite the fact that its a common assumption.
That depiction is much more applicable to Don King.
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ May 9 2010, 06:54 PM) *
That depiction is much more applicable to Don King.

"I would like to commemorate and eviscerate, the ignominiousness of the felonious, but we must always remember, yes indeed it is true, the "Quiet Man" John Ruiz has hung up the gloves with pride, and a delectable appetite for the sweet science of barbary, at Sam's Club for $19.95! Oh yes, in this land of fortune and freedom, in this great land of verisimilitude, you must feel the awesome power of the spectacle to be... a wonderful, delicious pioneer, a wonderful man and husband, John Ruiz, you are an inspiration for spics, ER, Oh my, what have we here, Satan get back from me..."

10 minutes later.

"Only in America!"

Reporter 1: "I thought you asked him about Ricardo Mayorga fighting for Shine."
Reporter 2: "I did..."

Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 10 2010, 12:13 AM) *
"I would like to commemorate and eviscerate, the ignominiousness of the felonious, but we must always remember, yes indeed it is true, the "Quiet Man" John Ruiz has hung up the gloves with pride, and a delectable appetite for the sweet science of barbary, at Sam's Club for $19.95! Oh yes, in this land of fortune and freedom, in this great land of verisimilitude, you must feel the awesome power of the spectacle to be... a wonderful, delicious pioneer, a wonderful man and husband, John Ruiz, you are an inspiration for spics, ER, Oh my, what have we here, Satan get back from me..."

10 minutes later.

"Only in America!"

Reporter 1: "I thought you asked him about Ricardo Mayorga fighting for Shine."
Reporter 2: "I did..."

Haha. That was pretty good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.