-6’1” ft tall
-82 inch reach
-High stamina
-Great volume puncher
-Power
-Great Chin
-Heart
-Pretty good skills

I, along with other fans feel he makes way too many mistakes that cancel all of his BIG advantages he has over any opponent he faces which is a damn shame & extremely frustrating to watch as a fan. The guy has a lot of skills, that he does not use at all which to be honest makes him no different to any other fighter.

I’ve always thought he has the most chance against Mayweather out of everyone around Welterweight. But based on him basically having no defense & being extremely sloppy I had always edged Mayweather….then Quintana out-boxed him shortly after my original prediction which only confirmed my thoughts to begin with.

All the qualities listed above, Williams should be close to unbeatable as he has close to ALL qualities anyone could ask for in a fighter.

Time goes by quickly, & it’s been YEARS since I’ve been waiting for Williams to show much needed improvements on little, yet crucial areas which would make a world of difference.

Ima P.Williams fan but I have come to the conclusion that what you see is what you’re going to get for the rest of his career as I don’t see him making any adjustments to make those needed improvements. The guy is physical freak with freakish qualities that does not know how to fight ‘tall’ to safe his life (like Cotto, he needs to hire Stewart ASAP). With all the ridiculous weight jumpin & crowd pleasing ways of fighting he will never reach his potential, as I’m afraid he will only ever be ‘good fighter’ on his way to a very short career!

Not talking about future accomplishments or future fights he may win, but do you feel we have already seen the best of Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams or do you think he is still has learning & growing to do?

Thought?
JD
I think the weight jumping is effecting him. Go up...or come down. Going up and back down is the worst thing a fighter can do to themselves.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 10 2010, 07:56 AM) *
I think the weight jumping is effecting him. Go up...or come down. Going up and back down is the worst thing a fighter can do to themselves.

You're right! Despite what his trainer says, Paul had to work really hard to weigh 152. Paul walks around at 165-170 so I think 160 is the perfect weight class. The only reason why I would want to see him at 147 is if he's fighting Mayweather or Pacquiao. Since I really don't see that as an impossible task, especially Pacquiao, then he needs to stay at the higher weights. The best thing for him to do is to come out in public and DEMAND a Martinez rematch (because Martinez is looking at Margarito right now).
D-MARV
Also, Paul and his trainer have a father-son relationship so I don't EVER see them breaking up but they can use some assistance. Maybe they can bring in Brother Naaz and his towel???? It wouldn't hurt.
Douchebag
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 10 2010, 08:05 AM) *
You're right! Despite what his trainer says, Paul had to work really hard to weigh 152. Paul walks around at 165-170 so I think 160 is the perfect weight class. The only reason why I would want to see him at 147 is if he's fighting Mayweather or Pacquiao. Since I really don't see that as an impossible task, especially Pacquiao, then he needs to stay at the higher weights. The best thing for him to do is to come out in public and DEMAND a Martinez rematch (because Martinez is looking at Margarito right now).

LMAO at Paul having to beg for a rematch with Sergio when he supposedly won the fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 10 2010, 08:10 AM) *
LMAO at Paul having to beg for a rematch with Sergio when he supposedly won the fight.

Paul doesn't have to "Beg" for a rematch. He should demand a rematch before Martinez goes chasing Margarito. PWill and MArtinez are the best two fighter at/around there weight classes, they fought at a highly competitive level and it was a good fucking fight. This rematch should be automatic.
BigG
D-Marv, Paul should stay at 160. I believe he would be drained at 147..and May and Pac would both give his ass a whooping.
D-MARV
QUOTE (BigG @ May 10 2010, 08:31 AM) *
D-Marv, Paul should stay at 160. I believe he would be drained at 147..and May and Pac would both give his ass a whooping.

I agree with the notion that Paul needs to stay at 160.
salvador
QUOTE (BigG @ May 10 2010, 07:31 AM) *

I don't care how many steroids Pac takes, he ain't never giving Paul an ass whooping. Not that it could ever happen, but seeing Paul and Pac staring each other down before the fight would be hilarious.

The Original MrFactor
The few things that I've noticed are that he takes alot of shots to the head. As he's moved up, they seem to have had a much greater effect on him. Martinez put him down from a good shot. Cats like Sharmba Mitchel, touched him. Quintana beat him. He has problems with his defense. Cintron should have gotten the nod, based on the CSAC rules. Williams takes alot of head shots. Its not that far of a reach to say that its a matter of time before someone stops him with one titanic shot to the temple. He really needs to tighten on his defense and use his size as an advantage.

That being said, I noticed a difference in his speech the other day, PRE-fight interview. His voice is starting to sound like Mosley's. I mean the kid does have a thick South Carolina accent and in between the nahimsayin's, I detect a slight issue that may be starting. Guys who take alot of leather to the head seem to develop a speech issue as their careers go on. The lighter side would be a Shane Mosley or Evander Holyfield. The extreme would be a Meldrick Taylor or Terry Norris...
Snoop
I was never convinced that PWill could be effective again at 147. I mean the man hasn't been there in a few years now. What makes his team so confident that he can make it back down there? It's not like he drains to 147 in between fights or anything.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 10 2010, 10:30 AM) *
The few things that I've noticed are that he takes alot of shots to the head. As he's moved up, they seem to have had a much greater effect on him. Martinez put him down from a good shot. Cats like Sharmba Mitchel, touched him. Quintana beat him. He has problems with his defense. Cintron should have gotten the nod, based on the CSAC rules. Williams takes alot of head shots. Its not that far of a reach to say that its a matter of time before someone stops him with one titanic shot to the temple. He really needs to tighten on his defense and use his size as an advantage.

That being said, I noticed a difference in his speech the other day, PRE-fight interview. His voice is starting to sound like Mosley's. I mean the kid does have a thick South Carolina accent and in between the nahimsayin's, I detect a slight issue that may be starting. Guys who take alot of leather to the head seem to develop a speech issue as their careers go on. The lighter side would be a Shane Mosley or Evander Holyfield. The extreme would be a Meldrick Taylor or Terry Norris...

Interesting observation, I'll go back and listen to the interview but it would not surprise me if his speech is being compromised already. When Williams gets hit his head snaps back, perhaps due to a weak neck. The point is that taking punches to the head is bad enough but when the whole head snaps back, the brain shakes up inside the skull more than usual and this is particularily dangerous. That should be incentive enough to improve his defense.

Williams has actually shown a little slickness in the past but he is most vulnerable when he punches. When he stays back and jabs he is harder to hit. The problem is he cannot box all that well because his accuracy is mediocre when he's boxing off the backfoot.
kidbazooka1
The weight jumping and Martinez fight may haven taken alot out of him already.
King Eugene
I really wish he'd stay at one weight. Jumping back and forth isn't helping making guys want to fight him...especially at the lower weights. Some of those small WW aren't going to be too eager to get in with a MW. Its going to catch up with him sooner or later. I hope he lands the Martinez fight again. I wouldn't be surprised if we seen Williams stopped for the first time.
kingknockout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 11 2010, 11:30 AM) *
I think that Cintron had a very good chance of stopping him if the fight had gone on.

paul williams is overrated.
BrutalBodyShots
I personally don't think he'll be able to bounce back from this KO.

Even with the greatest training in the world and him doing his best to fight tall, once he gets caught a few times he'll revert back to what he knows best. And he WILL get caught, that has been made clear in all of his fights.

This KO could have the effect it did on Jones where he's just a bit more timid going forward, or Williams could be another Vargas that never gets his chin back. Who knows until his next fight.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ May 10 2010, 04:14 AM) *
Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams

-Still young at 28
-Southpaw
-6’1” ft tall
-82 inch reach
-High stamina
-Great volume puncher
-Power
-Great Chin
-Heart
-Pretty good skills

I, along with other fans feel he makes way too many mistakes that cancel all of his BIG advantages he has over any opponent he faces which is a damn shame & extremely frustrating to watch as a fan. The guy has a lot of skills, that he does not use at all which to be honest makes him no different to any other fighter.

I’ve always thought he has the most chance against Mayweather out of everyone around Welterweight. But based on him basically having no defense & being extremely sloppy I had always edged Mayweather….then Quintana out-boxed him shortly after my original prediction which only confirmed my thoughts to begin with.

All the qualities listed above, Williams should be close to unbeatable as he has close to ALL qualities anyone could ask for in a fighter.

Time goes by quickly, & it’s been YEARS since I’ve been waiting for Williams to show much needed improvements on little, yet crucial areas which would make a world of difference.

Ima P.Williams fan but I have come to the conclusion that what you see is what you’re going to get for the rest of his career as I don’t see him making any adjustments to make those needed improvements. The guy is physical freak with freakish qualities that does not know how to fight ‘tall’ to safe his life (like Cotto, he needs to hire Stewart ASAP). With all the ridiculous weight jumpin & crowd pleasing ways of fighting he will never reach his potential, as I’m afraid he will only ever be ‘good fighter’ on his way to a very short career!

Not talking about future accomplishments or future fights he may win, but do you feel we have already seen the best of Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams or do you think he is still has learning & growing to do?

Thought?

i just responded to this in another thread accidently... lol.. but i would say we have seen the best the guy has to offer... it doesnt make him a bad fighter tho... and i think he still has some good fights left in him.... i'll even go a step farther and say, being caught aside, he is a good fight for martinez any day... last night is what makes boxing such a great sport... expect the unexpected... like i was telling a buddy of mine earlier today... if the fight is a foregone conclusion why even waste the time watching... you never know what will happen in a fight...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 11 2010, 12:08 AM) *
I really wish he'd stay at one weight. Jumping back and forth isn't helping making guys want to fight him...especially at the lower weights. Some of those small WW aren't going to be too eager to get in with a MW. Its going to catch up with him sooner or later. I hope he lands the Martinez fight again. I wouldn't be surprised if we seen Williams stopped for the first time.

KING THE FIGHT PROPHET!!!! lol...
STEVENSKI
I was never very high on Williams. This loss just illustrates my original thoughts on Williams.

A fighter I once viewed as having the potential to be a new Hearns but in reality just not good enough. Not a big enough punch & never fought big. A waste of talent as if he used his size & skills he would have been very hard to beat. Alas he fought small & sloppy & got what was coming a long time for him. Quite sad really.
kidbazooka1
PW will be ok he got stopped by a future great in Martinez no shame in that.

I see Williams comeing back and picking up a title or two.
The Original MrFactor
Roberto Duran got stopped by Thomas hearns in nearly the same way. This generation of fans put too much weight in losses. If a guy loses by KO, people automatically start talking about a guy's career being over. Lennox Lewis came back from KO losses. Duran did, Hearns did, Foreman did, Terry Norris did, Wlad Klitschko did. Lots of guys get KO'd and come back to win big. In some cases guys come back better. Paul Williams is just the next guy to get plastered. he can come back. i just hope he doesnt end up like Jermaine taylor. Taylor came back and fought the exact same way as he did prior to getting KO'd. I hope paul Williams comes back with better defense and a style that is more conducive to his physical gifts.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Nov 23 2010, 09:43 AM) *
Roberto Duran got stopped by Thomas hearns in nearly the same way. This generation of fans put too much weight in losses. If a guy loses by KO, people automatically start talking about a guy's career being over. Lennox Lewis came back from KO losses. Duran did, Hearns did, Foreman did, Terry Norris did, Wlad Klitschko did. Lots of guys get KO'd and come back to win big. In some cases guys come back better. Paul Williams is just the next guy to get plastered. he can come back. i just hope he doesnt end up like Jermaine taylor. Taylor came back and fought the exact same way as he did prior to getting KO'd. I hope paul Williams comes back with better defense and a style that is more conducive to his physical gifts.

Exactly. Williams can come back. Other great fighters have. IMO a Lacy/Calzaghe loss would be MUCH worse. It all depends on how he handles it.
Fitz
0:50-0:58

"We were just going at it. I wasn't gonna try out box him or nuffin. I'm gonna make it da way it is and we fight him again, I'm gonna do it da same way"

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 23 2010, 05:42 AM) *
0:50-0:58

"We were just going at it. I wasn't gonna try out box him or nuffin. I'm gonna make it da way it is and we fight him again, I'm gonna do it da same way"

Ok, then short career...
TheFonz
I think Williams is as smart as a football bat.
STEVENSKI
I lost almost all respect for Williams as a fighter after that. Jesus the guy is a moron of the first order. So you have shown a weakness & had it highlited to you in a most embarrasing way yet you still say you would change nothing?

The definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over & over & hoping for a different result. If you are happy to stick your chin out & show amateur defense then your beard will get clipped. Not learning from that & saying you would do it the same shows this man needs a hospital for his fuckin head.
Snoop
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Nov 23 2010, 11:32 AM) *

Good attitude, bad gameplan.
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 23 2010, 05:43 PM) *
Good attitude, bad gameplan.

Yea, his game plan is all about bringing it & throwing punches & he has always HAD a good chin so never worried about defense! I'll say this right now though, I like Paul & think he is a class guy, no excuses, no shit talking, just bringing! I wonder if he can even fight much different & add defense to his game!? In any case, I think he should go for a rematch.

I don't think there are too many guys @ 160 for him to even worry about but with that said, if he doesn't change game & add some defense, there will always be a chance for him to get caught. I wish him luck no matter what he does & I guess he could get some good fights @ 154 but I don't think he should even think about 147. That just would be crazy IMO!
King Eugene
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 21 2010, 02:00 PM) *
KING THE FIGHT PROPHET!!!! lol...

Who would have thought I would have been so right? LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.