Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins signs with Don King?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
Just read on the front page regarding the rumors about Hopkins already signing with Don King. Does this do anything for his career? Does it really change anything since Hopkins is probably looking at one, maybe two more fights? Thoughts?
thehype
Could be smoke and mirrors too though...like giving the appearance of signing in order to light a fire under someone else's ass to get something done.

People ain't talkin' no more though and shuttin' their mouths, so I'm hoping the B-side can get a hold of the man himself and find out what the deal is.

laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Would The Don even be able to get him any big fights? I don't think Hopkins wants Dawson so he might be looking at Bute, who is also looking for a dance partner, or maybe a move up to heavyweight.
JLUVBABY
hopkins is in a rough position in my opinion... he's not beating any top heavyweights... he can forget that.... he sure as hell isnt fighting chad dawson (he needs to, he pushed shane into an as whippin its his turn now... lol)... so, where does he go?... cruiserweight maybe?... I can see a fighter like bute knocking him out... he should probably hang them up while he has a W... i can see a bunch of scenarios where he loses unless he fights lesser fighters...
Snoop
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 12 2010, 05:59 AM) *
hopkins is in a rough position in my opinion... he's not beating any top heavyweights... he can forget that.... he sure as hell isnt fighting chad dawson (he needs to, he pushed shane into an as whippin its his turn now... lol)... so, where does he go?... cruiserweight maybe?... I can see a fighter like bute knocking him out... he should probably hang them up while he has a W... i can see a bunch of scenarios where he loses unless he fights lesser fighters...

Yeah but to go out on a win against this version of Jones? That's barely a whimper. (Sorry King, lol)
King Eugene
Hopkins might lose but he's not getting KO'd. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Bute but no enough interest from the general public. Hell I don't think there is enough interest to see Hopkins fight at all except from this fans and boxing junkies. Hopkins vs. Toney sure does sound good for late fall early winter right about now.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 12 2010, 02:02 AM) *
Hopkins might lose but he's not getting KO'd. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Bute but no enough interest from the general public. Hell I don't think there is enough interest to see Hopkins fight at all except from this fans and boxing junkies. Hopkins vs. Toney sure does sound good for late fall early winter right about now.

thats the one I'd like to see too. Hopkins can finish out his career by answering that 15 year old question as to who would have won between these two. If that fight cant be made, then I'd still like to see him against Bute or Dawson...
ROLL DEEP
I'd quite happily watch Toney Vs Hopkins.

It's a hell of a lot more competitive than Hops and Jones, but with Toney scheduled to fight in the UFC soon (I think it's against Corture!), doubt that'll happen as Toney will have had his arms broken and his head pulled off.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 12 2010, 02:00 AM) *
Yeah but to go out on a win against this version of Jones? That's barely a whimper. (Sorry King, lol)

Hey it is what it is. We all know what he could...well couldn't do with a fresh Jones.
Hops
Say what you people want about Hopkins but he's always there for his opponents to knock out. He doesn't have the speed of Floyd or Roy Jones. He's there in front of you. If you can't knock out an old Hopkins then that's your problem. I'm a big fan but I want to see him get knocked out before he retires. Ironic, isn't it.
Fitz
I love Hopkins, but the best way for him to go out now, is to tell everyone that this is a farewell fight before. Go fight someone, anyone (even if it's a scrub) and if it's not a name, don't worry and don't try dress it up (like against RJJ). Just take a fight you can win, and call it a day.
The last fight against Jones seems to have ruined him, and I'm not talking about him physically. More his name. The sad part is, he didn't go down because he became shot. He is still good physically, but people got bored of him, and then taking the Jones fight was a terrible business move on his part. It almost seems that he would have had more interest if he some how got knocked out and tried to make a come back after that. He didn't even knock Jones out for the comedy value, or for people to see it and go "oh Roy........not again".
Taking the fight was bad enough as it is, and if there is a way to win a CLEAR unanimous decision is the worst possible way, Hopkins managed it.

I really like Hopkins, I would continue to watch him as I love watching him fight (majority of the time). But he just needs to announce his retirement and take any fight. He deserves to go out better than the way he is heading. Like I said, I still like watching him, but at the same time, I can probably see why people are getting tired with him.
Method
If he was pissed about sitting on his hands with GBP, he's gonna be the second coming of Rip Van Winkle waiting around for Don King to be able to get him something meaningful.

Don King is POWERLESS from 160-175, and maybe in the sport at this point.

He's ALREADY BEEN THROUGH IT w King. DK will A.) Not be able to get Hopkins a meaningful fight, and B.) Not be able to satisfy the contractual guaranteed minimums, sending everything to purse bids.

Who knows...maybe since Toney is pissed at Goosen something could be done there. At this point...at any point really, Hopkins boxes circles around Toney...just like Roy Jones did. Toney is too stationary and Hopkins is (and has been) too complete. Make the fight though. the promotion would be classic, especially if they gave it a tv show ala 24/7. The sport is letting the best thing pass it by not getting Hopkins or Toney omn 24/7. Not only are they old school hard core, but they are BOTH characters, and ambassadors to the sport. Forget the bling and bullshit and bodyguards and blah blah. they guys are walking sound bites and just all around characters.

Anyway, Hopkins was on FNF recently and said he's up for Dawson whenever, but wants to be paid. Whatever.

Bottom line is, like Hype already stated, I think (hope) this is smoke and mirrors. He should remain a promotional free agent and just sign with guys on a one-off basis, OR sign with the guy that can bring him the most lucrative fight. I would be very surprised if that someone was DK.

I dont think Bute could beat Hopkins, let alone KO him. Bute went life and death with Enrique Ornelias' brother, no? LOL.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 12 2010, 01:02 AM) *

hopkins toney would be a good better now than never match... i could see that being a good scrap.. the build up would be fun... lol... two good shit talkers...
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2010, 07:24 AM) *
If he was pissed about sitting on his hands with GBP, he's gonna be the second coming of Rip Van Winkle waiting around for Don King to be able to get him something meaningful.

Don King is POWERLESS from 160-175, and maybe in the sport at this point.

He's ALREADY BEEN THROUGH IT w King. DK will A.) Not be able to get Hopkins a meaningful fight, and B.) Not be able to satisfy the contractual guaranteed minimums, sending everything to purse bids.

Who knows...maybe since Toney is pissed at Goosen something could be done there. At this point...at any point really, Hopkins boxes circles around Toney...just like Roy Jones did. Toney is too stationary and Hopkins is (and has been) too complete. Make the fight though. the promotion would be classic, especially if they gave it a tv show ala 24/7. The sport is letting the best thing pass it by not getting Hopkins or Toney omn 24/7. Not only are they old school hard core, but they are BOTH characters, and ambassadors to the sport. Forget the bling and bullshit and bodyguards and blah blah. they guys are walking sound bites and just all around characters.

Anyway, Hopkins was on FNF recently and said he's up for Dawson whenever, but wants to be paid. Whatever.

Bottom line is, like Hype already stated, I think (hope) this is smoke and mirrors. He should remain a promotional free agent and just sign with guys on a one-off basis, OR sign with the guy that can bring him the most lucrative fight. I would be very surprised if that someone was DK.

I dont think Bute could beat Hopkins, let alone KO him. Bute went life and death with Enrique Ornelias' brother, no? LOL.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head Meth. I don't think this is situation where it's going to be a long-term deal. I think this is situation where King is promising him that he can get him the money that he wants for say a fight with Dawson. I mean, any way you slice it, this next fight or two could be Bernard's last fight, so he's trying to maximize his profit as much as possible. I think it's less about Hopkins being mad about sitting on the shelf and more about Hopkins being mad about the money he's getting. I think Hops was really banking on getting that David Haye fight, but Richard Schaefer obviously isn't trying to go that route, so I wouldn't be surprised if Don King made him some promises...perhaps offering up one of his cruiserweights to Hops with a promise of something else down the road. Who knows with DK, but one thing is sure...DK has never had a problem with dropping off a suitcase full of money for a fighter.

laugh.gif

Mayweather did the same thing when he first decided to make a comeback. He wasn't happy with the kind of numbers that he was being offered, so the first thing he did was head down to Florida and have a visit with Don King. Al Haymon literally had to fly down there and talk Floyd out of it...meaning Al Haymon resolved whatever money issues they may have had.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure it's actually a done deal...but from what I'm hearing, from a couple of people actually, that's the reason why he wasn't at Mayweather vs. Mosley. Whether or not any paperwork was actually drawn up is the mystery, but like I said, from what I hear, DK is the reason why Hops was a no-show.
D-MARV
If signing with King means we get to see Hopkins-Dawson then I'm all for it... But, one thing Hopkins is NOT, is a dummy. If he's going to deal with Don King then theres a good damn reason behind it.
Method
I don't doubt that at all Hype, but fuck man, after all the battles those two fucks had in court, you'd think they'd want nothing to do with one another...then again, King and Burstein worked together. Who fucking knows. Will be interesting to see what happens...if ANYTHING.
streetlion1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 12 2010, 10:29 AM) *
If signing with King means we get to see Hopkins-Dawson then I'm all for it... But, one thing Hopkins is NOT, is a dummy. If he's going to deal with Don King then theres a good damn reason behind it.

I have to agree with that...there has got to be a reason behind it. I dont think we'll see Hopkins v.s. Dawson but the CalSlappy rumors are interesting. I dont know what to think with Hopkins....I still have to see him clearly beatin before I can tell him to hang it up. The Jones fight was the wrong thing to do and I bet he is feeling the heat for it so I think we can expect a big name for his next opponent.....question is who?
Method
Problem is that I'd bet the ONLY way he can get a fight w Calzaghe would be if he was w GBP, as Im fairly certain GBP reps Calz now. so why would Ex need King to get Calz?

Honestly, I dont know WHO King delivers to Hopkins. Holy? I have no fucking idea.
JD
DK has a slew of crappy heavys, including Valuev. He has no Cruisers worth anything any more. He literally has no light heavys.

I said it before...he does have Tito.
Method
QUOTE (JD @ May 12 2010, 12:35 PM) *
I said it before...he does have Tito.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Thing is man, Hops would be digging himself a deeper grave if he took a fight w Trinidad.
JD
QUOTE (Method @ May 12 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Thing is man, Hops would be digging himself a deeper grave if he took a fight w Trinidad.

Does he care at this point?

His guarantee would certainly be met. Do this fight at the Garden and it would be filled with Trinidad fans.
Method
Would Trinidad's guarantee be met? That fucker is like $15M
JD
LOL...I would say no.

But if he wants to fight one more time, and we have heard that he does...and he wants that one more time to be Hopkins, and I see no reason why he wouldn't want the chance at him...he would have to concede something.
Method
He'd be conceiving his fucking LIFE at this point. Hopkins would fucking annihilate Trinidad. God. that would be FUGLY.
JD
Tito would get slapped around.
Snoop
Tito vs Hops at this stage? LOL. That would be both pointless and brutal.
Method
...and the promotion would suck too. Tito cant speak English, and Hopkins wouldn't be inclined to talk shit because he's already been there and done that....convincingly.
TRU
Hopkins will fight at heavyweight... he's dead set on that IMO.

Something about the man... he ain't right unless he's fighting the system.

Snoop
QUOTE (TRU @ May 12 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Hopkins will fight at heavyweight... he's dead set on that IMO.

Something about the man... he ain't right unless he's fighting the system.

LOL. You got that right. I'd be surprised and disappointed if he considered taking on Tito now. There's nothing for him to prove there.
thehype
Hopkins vs. Kali Meehan for the WBA #1 contender slot.

laugh.gif
Method
Something about the man...

Yup. If shit ain't fck'd up, he ain't content.
Nay_Sayer
So......

Who does Hopkins fight @ heavyweight?
WindyCityP
Forget the bling and bullshit and bodyguards and blah blah. they guys are walking sound bites and just all around characters.

That would be the best pre-fight duel EVER!. I would pay just to see those two verbally attack one another coast to coast. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

As far as the fight I'll pass. Fight shoulda been made a long time ago.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ May 12 2010, 10:58 PM) *
That would be the best pre-fight duel EVER!. I would pay just to see those two verbally attack one another coast to coast. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo

As far as the fight I'll pass. Fight shoulda been made a long time ago.

honestly windy i think that would be a pretty entertaining scrap... for sure it would be better than hopkins vs jones 2.... toney would bring it to hopkins.... id give the edge to toney in this one...
JonnyBlaze
I think I missed something..Why is he no longer with Golden Boy??
WindyCityP
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 13 2010, 06:10 AM) *
honestly windy i think that would be a pretty entertaining scrap... for sure it would be better than hopkins vs jones 2.... toney would bring it to hopkins.... id give the edge to toney in this one...

Im sure it could possibly be somewhat entertaining but come on jluv. These 2 should have fought at their prime maybe even a couple of times. James Toney was poetry in motion now he's just motion. Snags at the beginning and middle of his 160 reign was pretty vicious but the last decade he has been anything but entertaining inside the ring.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ May 13 2010, 04:59 AM) *
Im sure it could possibly be somewhat entertaining but come on jluv. These 2 should have fought at their prime maybe even a couple of times. James Toney was poetry in motion now he's just motion. Snags at the beginning and middle of his 160 reign was pretty vicious but the last decade he has been anything but entertaining inside the ring.

i dont see any major heavyweights hopkins can beat... guys like toney are his best options... he can make money and the fight will produce some interest... if he can beat toney and look good then maybe up the comp to a holyfield... thats another money fight... win that and maybe fight haye and get destroyed... thats if wlad hasnt cleaned hayes clock by that time... if its either klit as champ hopkins needs to just hang them up.. in my opinion.
Method
I wanna see him get a shot at Haye. Then either beat him, or get your clock cleaned.

Would love to see him get Toney. 2-3 months of great soundbytes and promotion.

Dawson. For obvious reasons.

Calzaghe.
D-MARV
I don't know what this means but Hopkins is sitting side by side with Schaefer at the Khan-Malignaggi fight.
Method
It means Hopkins/Calzaghe?
JD
That's what I would assume, because Bute is getting his mando out of the way against Brinkley this Summer and it will not be televised.

The only other thing it could mean is Haye, since he has managed to beetch out of the Wlad fight again.
WindyCityP
QUOTE (JD @ May 16 2010, 02:45 PM) *
That's what I would assume, because Bute is getting his mando out of the way against Brinkley this Summer and it will not be televised.

The only other thing it could mean is Haye, since he has managed to beetch out of the Wlad fight again.

Thought the talks were going good. What have you heard JD?
JD
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ May 16 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Thought the talks were going good. What have you heard JD?

Adam Booth and Sauerland basically saying "yeah...we think that maybe we might want Vitali...or a vacation or something..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.