Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ward, Green want Drug Testing...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
By Robert Hough

Andre Ward (20-0, 13 KOs) and Allan Green (29-1, 20 KOs) said at a press conference Wednesday that they both support Olympic-style drug testing before their June 19 fight for Ward’s WBA title. The super-middleweights meet in Oakland, Calif., to conclude the Super Six World Boxing Classic’s second round. Dan Goossen, Ward’s promoter, supports the proposal and said he would discuss it with Lou DiBella, who promotes Green. Green, who appeared at the Oakland press conference via a video stream from Miami, Fla., said it would have hurt his training in nearby Fort Lauderdale to travel across the country and back for the event. Green, who replaces Jermain Taylor in Showtime’s tournament, has been boisterous in the pre-fight build-up, but the Tulsa, Okla., native and resident was low-key and quick to compliment Ward.

thehype
laugh.gif

I love it.

First Povetkin, now Ward and Green. LOL.

Truth be told, if I was a Commission, I'd adopt the USADA testing procedures, double the cost, and make the fighter who requests it actually pay for it. I mean, shit, that's a nice way to make some additional cheese...maybe give a percentage to the Retired Boxers Foundation. Instead of being so negative about it, flip it and turn it into something even more positive for the sport. If NSAC was smart, they create an addendum to their rules, allow a fighter to request it and just tax the shit out of them for it...then we'll see just how important the testing really is for certain fighters. LOL. It's not fuckin rocket science. NSAC could make Mayweather vs. Pacquiao quicker than anybody else could right now.

"We'll abide by the rules of the Commission!"

Okay, new rule...any fighter may request Olympic-style testing, but said fighter is responsible for any and all costs associated with the testing AND they must forfeit 5% of their purse to the Commission just because!

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao...DONE DEAL!

Well, that's assuming that Pacquiao doesn't come up with ANOTHER excuse not to take the tests.

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (thehype @ May 12 2010, 10:10 PM) *
laugh.gif

I love it.

Truth be told, if I was a Commission, I'd adopt the USADA testing procedures, double the cost, and make the fighter who requests it actually pay for it. I mean, shit, that's a nice way to make some additional cheese...maybe give a percentage to the Retired Boxers Foundation. Instead of being so negative about it, flip it and turn it into something even more positive for the sport. If NSAC was smart, they create an addendum to their rules, allow a fighter to request it and just tax the shit out of them for it...then we'll see just how important the testing really is for certain fighters. LOL. It's not fuckin rocket science. NSAC could make Mayweather vs. Pacquiao quicker than anybody else could right now.

Okay, new rule...any fighter may request Olympic-style testing, but said fighter is responsible for any and all costs associated with the testing AND they must forfeit 5% of their purse to the Commission just because!

Well, that's assuming that Pacquiao doesn't come up with ANOTHER excuse not to take the tests.

laugh.gif

the testing can only help the sport... how anyone can argue any different i do not understand....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 12 2010, 10:14 PM) *
the testing can only help the sport... how anyone can argue any different i do not understand....

Totally agree..It'll show how hard these guys have worked instead of who's cheating and using steroids to try to enhance their body's capabilities..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 12 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Totally agree..It'll show how hard these guys have worked instead of who's cheating and using steroids to try to enhance their body's capabilities..

exactly... there is nothing noble about winning with an edge... personally i couldnt do it... id wanna know i was doing what im doing through good hard work or God given talent...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (thehype @ May 12 2010, 11:10 PM) *
laugh.gif

I love it.

laugh.gif

Just curious, how much are these tests? I've read several articles about the cost of the tests. Some people are bitching about the cost. Are these tests 10's of thousands of dollars or something. I always thought that a single test could be anywhere from 2 - 5 hundred bucks. I had to do one about 10 years agho and it cost me about 500 bucks. Are these tests any different. When we talk about fighters making millions of dollars for a fight, whats the big deal in cost for a set of blood tests?
Fitz
Probably the same as when you go buy flowers for a function, they charge you accordingly. If you tell them it's a wedding, it will probably cost you more than if you were to say it's for an anniversary or something. laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 12 2010, 10:52 PM) *
exactly... there is nothing noble about winning with an edge... personally i couldnt do it... id wanna know i was doing what im doing through good hard work or God given talent...

Yup..I don't know how guys can win and be happy knowing that they needed to do illegal substances to win the fight..I also don't know how they could continue doing it after winning one like that..I'd feel like such shit after the joy of winning the fight went away or maybe even right after I won..haha..Then you'd just stand there with your hand raised wondering if you could of just gotten the W without anything extra in ya..I guess that kinda shows ya who's in it for the money and who's in it for the love..Since I love it so much,I wouldn't disrespect it..The guys who just want money and don't give a fuck about boxing juice..That's my opinion..
Byrd Man
QUOTE (thehype @ May 12 2010, 08:10 PM) *

laugh.gif

Or assuming that Mayweather actually ponies up the dough to pay for the tests and 5% of his purse. That's not a given. lol
Hops
One thing I'm 100% sure of. Those who use PED's in boxing are sore losers.
Jack 1000
I support PED drug testing because it can help clean up the sport in regard to PED cheating. My question would be the cost involved? Does anyone have documentation about how much money it would cost the commissions who adopt it? (On average.)

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 13 2010, 12:55 AM) *
Yup..I don't know how guys can win and be happy knowing that they needed to do illegal substances to win the fight..I also don't know how they could continue doing it after winning one like that..I'd feel like such shit after the joy of winning the fight went away or maybe even right after I won..haha..Then you'd just stand there with your hand raised wondering if you could of just gotten the W without anything extra in ya..I guess that kinda shows ya who's in it for the money and who's in it for the love..Since I love it so much,I wouldn't disrespect it..The guys who just want money and don't give a fuck about boxing juice..That's my opinion..

if i was a figher that just won a fight... let me say a major fight but any fight will do and i know imma dirty fighter.... just seems like in the back of y mind i'd want to know if i could beat this this good or elite fighter without the help.?.... that would always kill me to know... Id rather lose knowing i gave my all then to win knowing i had help from an illegal agent that gave me an edge...
Snoop
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 13 2010, 07:10 AM) *
Or assuming that Mayweather actually ponies up the dough to pay for the tests and 5% of his purse. That's not a given. lol

Anyone know how they paid for the one he took in the Mosley fight?
Hops
I think this will clean the top level fighters. The urine tests cost $400 a pop. With blood testing. We're lookin' at around $700. So, 8 tests will be too much for upcoming fighters. And those outside the US... in poor countries like the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia...
thehype
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ May 13 2010, 03:10 AM) *

Which is exactly my point...either he'd pay or he'd drop his request. Problem solved!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.