Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mitchell VS Katsidis
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Maxy
Kevin Mitchell and Michael Katsidis will battle it out tomorrow night at Upton Park for the Interim WBO Lightweight title. For me, this points to being an absolute war and should become a genuine candidate for FOTY.

Mitchell puts his unbeaten record on the line against the Aussie hard man in front of his home fans and at the stadium of his beloved West Ham United. Kevin has claimed he will make this a "right old tear up!", but he would probably do better if he boxes safe....can't see it.

Whereas Katsidis has mixed in a higher class for some time now, this is Mitchell's first step into genuine world class. Katsidis claims that once the fight goes down the stretch, Mitchell won't have the stamina and will fold. I've gone for the opposite believing that Kevin will win with a late stoppage.

Either way though this should be a thrilling fight and whoever wins I won't be downhearted. I'd favour Kevin but as Katsidis is one of my favourite fighters to watch, I'll be happy either way.

Anybody else, especially the Aussies here, have any thoughts on this fight?
Fitz
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 14 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Kevin Mitchell and Michael Katsidis will battle it out tomorrow night at Upton Park for the Interim WBO Lightweight title. For me, this points to being an absolute war and should become a genuine candidate for FOTY.

Mitchell puts his unbeaten record on the line against the Aussie hard man in front of his home fans and at the stadium of his beloved West Ham United. Kevin has claimed he will make this a "right old tear up!", but he would probably do better if he boxes safe....can't see it.

Whereas Katsidis has mixed in a higher class for some time now, this is Mitchell's first step into genuine world class. Katsidis claims that once the fight goes down the stretch, Mitchell won't have the stamina and will fold. I've gone for the opposite believing that Kevin will win with a late stoppage.

Either way though this should be a thrilling fight and whoever wins I won't be downhearted. I'd favour Kevin but as Katsidis is one of my favourite fighters to watch, I'll be happy either way.

Anybody else, especially the Aussies here, have any thoughts on this fight?

I am genuinely excited about this fight, but I know nothing of Mitchell.
Maxy
It's the litmus test for Mitchell. We still don't know if he hits that hard at lightweight and he definitely looks the smaller man. Katsidis is tough as fuck. He's great to watch but their are question marks over his chin. I think Mitchell has the better beard, but once again that hasn't really been proven due to the lower level of opposition Kevin has boxed. His best win is Prescott, who lets be honest, is a nobody.

In front of his home fans Mitchell might well get caught up in a slug fest and for me, that will be a mistake against a man like Katsidis. As the fight progresses it's bound to turn into a brawl but if Mitchell sets out like that from the off I can see him getting stopped.

Katsidis has got some great body work and his stamina is bloody awesome. He might be vulnerable on cuts though and I'm not convinced about his chin. To be honest it's one of those fights that has me going round in circles. Hard to pick a winner but pretty easy to predict a war.
AussieLad
What i see is mitchell outboxing katsidis early, and as he feels more comfortable he starts to slug. At which point he gets caught and dragged into a war favouring Katsidis. As ever, the spartan warriors face will be minced like burger meat, which is standard in most katsidis fights.

What i am hoping is that the magnitude of the event gets mitchell into a war mind set early. The earlier he throws down, the better it is for katsidis.

If mitchell boxes, he wins, if he slugs, he gets dismantled.

I'll go with katsidis
ROLL DEEP
I'll be watching this with a pizza and a beer drinks.gif

Like you guys, I see Mitchell outboxing him but getting into a slugfest dude to the adrenaline and the sheer anticipation of the fight.

I think he'll pull through though and get back to boxing for the last part of the fight.
Col Reb
Is there any way to see this fight on tv or online?
Maxy
QUOTE (Col Reb @ May 14 2010, 05:18 PM) *
Is there any way to see this fight on tv or online?

It's not on PPV so there will definitely be streams out there. Go to my P2P and search boxing....you'll find it.
AussieLad
Fucking tragedy this isnt getting shown in Australia. They will play mundine vs the bum of the month, but wont play katsidis who is a thousand times more entertaining

whoops, just double checked mainevent. They are showing it yes2.gif

When i looked at the picture, with katsidis in his headgear, and the promotion name Hammertime, i mistook it for a wrestling ppv... LOL
lloyd mayflower
I'm looking forward to this one too. Couple of beers in front of the tv tonight I think. I'm like you Maxy, like both fighters, dont care who wins. Just want to see a good scrap
Mean Mister Mustard
Mitchell's claim that he wants to engage Katsidis in a war sounds like a good old deceptive tactic. He's going to box and probably come out with the win.
lloyd mayflower
Boxing Dictionary

Shot (Adjective) The fighter looks shot

See "Danny Williams"
JLUVBABY
this is a pretty good fight card going on in ireland...
JLUVBABY
james degale is a good looking fighter... he could make a little noise...
lloyd mayflower
Dont know anythin about that JLUV but i'm enjoyin the Mitchell Katsidis card, not long till the main event. Lookin forward to it
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 15 2010, 09:33 PM) *
james degale is a good looking fighter... he could make a little noise...

Too cocky, working his way into my hate books already! Good finish tho but wasnt too impressed all round. George Groves will take him out should they meet
JLUVBABY
katsidis is sparring before the fight... lol... ive never seen that before...
lloyd mayflower
Looks like hes plannin to come out the traps fast. Maybe he fancies an early finish
Maxy
Yeah I've never seen a fighter sparring in the dressing room before. I think this is going to be a classic.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 15 2010, 09:48 PM) *
Yeah I've never seen a fighter sparring in the dressing room before. I think this is going to be a classic.

Agreed. Cant wait. Maxy, whats the craic with the Khan fight? Is it on tv? I cant find it anywhere
JLUVBABY
come on katsidis!!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
LMAO Katsidis is nuts. Did he have headgear on or was he just going at it?
JLUVBABY
1st round kat....
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2010, 10:01 PM) *

He had headgear on. The way he walks aroud cracks me up. He just looks like hes after a fight at all times!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ May 15 2010, 04:01 PM) *

yep... this is gonna be a goodone... the us is missing out not showing some of these fights from overseas.... anyway i got it 1-1...
D-MARV
WAR KATSIDIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mean Mister Mustard
Too strong for the Brit.
JLUVBABY
yyyeeeesss!!!!!! kat knocks out mitchell!!!!
lloyd mayflower
I really wanted to see more of that round!
D-MARV
Mitchell was out on his feet.
lloyd mayflower
Could he have taken a knee there or did the follow up after the left hook come in too quickly?
D-MARV
LMAO @ the british announcers... They can be sooo dramatic at times.

Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 15 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Agreed. Cant wait. Maxy, whats the craic with the Khan fight? Is it on tv? I cant find it anywhere

The Khan fight is live tonight on ITV 1 at 2.40 but it's repeated at 10.30 and then again at 19.30.

As for Mitchell, he failed his big test. Katsidis is a nice bloke, a good fighter and he did the business. Kevin has reached his level and sadly for him it's a level below world class.
Mean Mister Mustard
Katsidis just bullied him in there. Maybe Mitchell should add some pop to his punches and increase his strenght as well.
Maxy
Katsidis was much the better fighter as it turns out. Mitchell should have took a knee when he was hurt initially at the start of the round but in all honesty it would have just prolonged the inevitable.

I expected more from him. I said beforehand that I thought it was his first true test and I believed he'd come through it. He didn't, he wasn't good enough. Such is life.
AussieLad
So did Mitchell try and box or try and scrap?
1zz
Katsidis is still a gate keeper.
The CEO
Good for Katsy...always liked that kid...he's what I call a real fighter...
lloyd mayflower
Remember a while back someone started a thread about how they didnt like Katsidis? Well whoever it was, can you come back and explain how it is you can dislike this guy?
ROLL DEEP
DANNY WILLIAMS:

I've always like him and always thought the extra weight he brings into the ring has hampered his career. Don't really know what he was doing in the ring last night - he was heavy, sluggish and didn't do anything. Shame, but glad he's retired now.

JAMES DE GALE:

Looked the business, but it was against a relative nobody. De Gale's opponent offered hardly any punch output and James just walked through everything and pretty much done what he wanted. It's still early for him, so fair enough and lke he said in the interview - he was practising some stuff in there.

MITCHELL VS KATSIDIS

The difference in power was obvious from the start. Mitchell always looked uncomfortable in there and didn't seem to get into his motion.

Although Mitchell copped Katsidis with some nice uppercuts that stunned him, he didn't have the constant fire power or chin to keep Katsidis off him. He was literally chasing Mitchell around the ring.

Both nice guys, good fight whilst it lasted but that's it for Mitchell - he won't be world level.
Fitz
QUOTE (1zz @ May 16 2010, 08:15 AM) *
Katsidis is still a gate keeper.

He is, though nobody is suggesting he is the next coming of something great. He is good though, and one of the top guys in the division, plus he is all guts in there.
BigG
Good win for Kats...I heard he could be next to fight Khan
Fitz
Khan would beat Katsidis. Wouldn't mind that fight, but it isn't a priority. Diaz-Marquez is for undisputed, Katsidis is one of the top contenders for 135, was supposed to be Marquez mandatory, but Marquez fought Mayweather. Katsidis should get a shot at the winner of Marquez-Diaz and have a shot to become undisputed.
SENTRAL
Mitchell got what was coming to him. His anti american stance, his bravado in predicting how he would knock khan out if they ever meet, came back to bite him in the ass. Kats is a fearless warrior who has major limitations at world level but he still wiped away the bullshit by the name of Mitchell.
JLUVBABY
i'll give khan this... ive talked shit on him in the past but he's gaining my respect... 140 is stacked but he stands somewhere near the top of the heap... he's def maturing as a fighter and i know he hasnt peaked yet... he's only gonna get better...
Maxy
I agree about Khan improving - he's an Olympic silver medalist so he's also got the amateur pedigree behind him. Working with Roach and getting some high quality sparring will only add to him as a fighter but he will always remain an accident waiting to happen.

I know there have been many highly successful fighters with dodgy chins in the past (Terry Norris springs to mind, though he's not as good as Norris was), but whenever he steps in the ring with someone that can remotely bang I'm convinced he'll get taken out.

The Prescott fight only exposed what earlier fights had warned us about. Katsidis-Khan looks an exciting fight for the near future. I hope we get to see it. I'd love to see how Khan responds to the crazy pressure the Australian brings to his fights.

Khan should win that one but one punch from Katsidis and he'll be carried out of the ring.
lloyd mayflower
The issue of his chin may have lessened with the step up. When you look at how comfortable big and strong he looks at 140, you have to wonder how much he lost trying to make 135. I cant wait till he gets hit on his chin by a decent puncher to find out.

Someone want to talk me through Mitchells "anti american stance"? Cant say I was aware of it
JLUVBABY
starting to look more and more like katsidis will be next for killa khan... that might be good... kat will at least test his chin..
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 17 2010, 11:32 AM) *
The issue of his chin may have lessened with the step up. When you look at how comfortable big and strong he looks at 140, you have to wonder how much he lost trying to make 135. I cant wait till he gets hit on his chin by a decent puncher to find out.

Someone want to talk me through Mitchells "anti american stance"? Cant say I was aware of it

All I can think of is the recent comments he made about drug usage amongst top boxers in America.

I read an article a little while back.

Here
SENTRAL
It's biased bullshit and I enjoyed nothing better than seeing the overhyped nobody get put in his place by a very limited opponent.

How is it not a big issue? Mitchell brought shame to his nation with his remarks.
Snoop
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ May 17 2010, 06:34 PM) *
It's biased bullshit and I enjoyed nothing better than seeing the overhyped nobody get put in his place by a very limited opponent.

How is it not a big issue? Mitchell brought shame to his nation with his remarks.

Man that girl in your sig is FINE. Who is that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.