Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The underdog effect
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KENSOFINE

Did Castillo REEEEALLY beat Mayweather in their first match, or was it a case of him getting more credit for doing what no one expected him to?

I rewatched it with the sound off this morning, after debating this topic. I do not see AT ALL where anyone could think he won.

What other fights do you believe the underdog doing better than expected gave the perception of them winning?

ODLH vs Quartey?

Jones vs Tarver 1?

Do you agree with those? Are there others?
D-MARV
Castillo-Mayweather 1 was a very close fight which could have gone either way. I watched it three times and scored for Mayweather 3 times. It was hardly a robbery.

I scored Tarver-Jones 1 a draw. I think one judge gave Roy 9 rounds and that was terrible.
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 15 2010, 10:51 AM) *
#1. Castillo was The Champ. He earned no less than a draw, IMO, which translates into retention of his title.

#2. Two decent examples. I would add Leonard v Hagler.

Yeah? I have watched more than 5 times over the years and see NO way that PBF should have been awarded a victory in that fight. He was the challenger. Castillo out worked him, out landed him, was the agressor and was the title holder.

Yes it was close, but no closer than a draw. Castillo should have retained his title and PBF should have no better than a Draw blemish on his record.

That whole "Champ should get the nod if its close" bullshit is retarded. There is no logic to support why that style of judging should be implemented. The BEST way to determine who wins a fight is with the sound off, to remove crowd and commentator bias, then determining in EACH INDIVIDUAL ROUND, which fighter you would rather be. I would rather have been Mayweather in both matches.

Sorry, but that has been a sore spot with me ever since ODLH lost (QUITE UNFAIRLY) to Trinidad, based on his decision to run the last few rounds, even though he CLEARLY won more of the other ones.
BrutalBodyShots
Yeah I don't buy into the whole "you have to TAKE the title from the champion" either. If you win 7 clear rounds to 5 over the champion, you deserve to walk away with his title. You don't get bonus points or special treatment because you have the title.
Snoop
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ May 15 2010, 05:20 PM) *
Yeah I don't buy into the whole "you have to TAKE the title from the champion" either. If you win 7 clear rounds to 5 over the champion, you deserve to walk away with his title. You don't get bonus points or special treatment because you have the title.

Co-sign.
Fitz
I completely agree and have tried to explain it in the past as well. If one of the big name fighters is given a close fight against a guy they were supposed to have beat, fans usually cry robbery.
Hatton-Collazo is one, people cry robbery, it was a close fight that could have gone either way. Collazo-Berto. I also agree with Mayweather-Castillo. I don't think Castillo was robbed. Neither guy clearly won the fight, Mayweather got the edge. Somebody had to lose.
People seem to think a fighter doesn't deserve the win, if they were pushed into a tough fight that shouldn't have been that difficult. Kind of like that steroptype about Chinese parents. They are disappointed in they see one 'B'. laugh.gif
alaganza
I had Castillo winning that fight. I do think Floyd had an off night. That happens in this sport. Some nights you are not at your best. But the fight really could have gone either way. Just my opinion.
Aware
Castillo landed some body shots, but only landed 6-8 clean power shots to the head the whole fight. People who score it for Castillo fall into one or more of the following categories:
1.Were influenced by the announcing team
2. Are incapable of perceiving the intricacies involved in Mayweather's style
3. Are biased

This equates to a lot of people thinking Castillo won.

The compubox numbers were way off that night, don't believe me? Compubox had Castillo landing 46% of his power punches! Just to put that percentage in perspective, that is the exact same percentage for power punches compubox had Mayweather landing against Mosley. Obviously the people pushing the buttons for compubox that night fell into at least the second category.

If Mayweather doesn't dominate there are gonna be those who say he lost. For example, look at the De La Hoya fight. Mayweather clearly won that fight, but was far from dominant and we had a lot of people saying De La Hoya won.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Aware @ May 15 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Castillo landed some body shots, but only landed 6-8 clean power shots (punch other than a jab) to the head the whole fight. People who score it for Castillo fall into one or more of the following categories:
1.Were influenced by the announcing team
2. Are incapable of perceiving the intricacies involved in Mayweather's style
3. Are biased

The compubox numbers were way off that night, don't believe me? Compubox had Castillo landing 46% of his power punches! Just to put that percentage in perspective, that is the exact same percentage for power punches compubox had Mayweather landing against Mosley. Obviously the people pushing the buttons for compubox that night fell into at least the second category.

Aware
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ May 15 2010, 08:24 PM) *

Argue with evidence or facts, post your scorecard or something.
D-MARV
I don't think Castillo landed half of his punches in the fight.
Aware
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 15 2010, 08:39 PM) *
I don't think Castillo landed half of his punches in the fight.

Obviously...
D-MARV
QUOTE (Aware @ May 15 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Obviously...

Yeah, That's pretty hard to believe. That's like saying Calzaghe landed over 200 punches against Hopkins.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.