Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Richardson, Roach or Floyd
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
Roach - I'm not trying to be insensitive about his Parkinsons, but I have more and more trouble understanding him speak. It seems like it would only get worse with time.

Floyd - Fuck no. Dude knows the sport, but he can't speak for shit without stuttering.

Richardson - I actually think he's the best out of the three. His analytical game is top notch, though he doesn't come off with that "friendly".

I'm trying to think of some other potentials. Mike Tyson comes to mind. Others?
King Eugene
Right off the bat I'd say Richardson.

Others I'd consider are Jones and Hopkins. Tyson would be great but he'd be too much of a risk. He seems to have a lot going on now days and that just might be what he needs. Something to keep his mind focused and not give him a chance to get into something stupid. Whoever they get I hope they aren't super biased.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I actually think Richardson would be a great choice. He's well-spoken and articulate. I don't think he has an unfrinendly demeanor, and he has a lot of respect for the sport. He knows boxing, and I think he brings a lot of insight to the broadcast table. Lampley, Merchant, and Kellerman are passionate as well, but I don't think they truly understand boxing. Richardson brings advanced knowledge to the table, and I would personally love to listen to him as a commentator.
Box in Hand
I doubt they let Richardson on although he is my favorite of the 3. He's too hood, too black, and too gutter. However, his boxing IQ is off the charts. He's the one that got Shane to put his feet in the right position to sting Floyd. Too bad Shane wasn't the one to carry out the full plan.

Also, I would love to see Brother Naz put Merchant's half dead ass in check.
King Eugene
For some reason I feel Jim and Larry would be intimidated by Richardson.
kidbazooka1
They should bring back Jones or Big George.
xxxxxx
I think Bernard Hopkins would be a good choice.
King Eugene
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ May 18 2010, 06:59 AM) *
I think Bernard Hopkins would be a good choice.

Speaking of Bernard I seen him at the fight this past weekend sitting beside the big CEO. Guess things aren't as bad as they seem.
thisneverworks
I would prefer Richardson out of those 3 for sure.

I would like to see Roy back if possible, I always thought he was great.

My dark-horse would be Malignaggi. If they could get him to not go off on tangents (I have only heard him do this when talking about himself, which he wouldn't be doing), I think he could do a great job. When he was making waves talking about suspicions regarding Pacquiao I heard him using historical references to back up his point, and I also heard him around that time talking about improving his boxing in a really intelligent and detailed way. The NYC accent and attitude may turn a bunch of people off but hey, that's why he is my dark-horse.
salvador
QUOTE (thisneverworks @ May 18 2010, 09:40 AM) *
My dark-horse would be Malignaggi.

Great choice, but I think they're looking for a person of color, which they should.

DLH is an obvious choice, but too many potential conflicts.

I think Tyson could be interesting. He's a smart guy and fans would tune in to hear him.
Romulus9
No, no, no, no, and NO to Bernard Hopkins.

He's done plenty of commentary on Versus and their Fight Night Club series and it was absolutely awful.

Ugh.

HBO can do much better than Roach, Mayweather, or Richardson. The only entertaining idea featuring those three names would be putting Roach and Mayweather on at the same time during a fight.

Stop looking for the flavor of the week for a commentary job and go to someone worthwhile.

Roy Jones, Mike Tyson, Norman Stone (as someone in the comments section suggested!), SOMEONE better than the three names from before. I enjoyed Kevin Kelley when he did his commentary for HBO and B.J. Flores is quite good on ESPN2.

Come on, HBO.
JD
How about Michael Moorer?

He is lowkey, but well spoken and has been around some very well respected trainers.
Big Slim Sweet
How about Nate Campbell?

Seems like HBO is only interested though in guys (fighters or trainers) who reside at the absolute apex of the sport.

Dudes like Campbell, Malignaggi, Moorer just aren't big enough.

And no chance on Tyson. The history between him and Larry is long.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 18 2010, 02:02 AM) *
For some reason I feel Jim and Larry would be intimidated by Richardson.

larry wasn't intimidated by george foreman, why would he be of richardson?
mbills
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ May 18 2010, 02:12 AM) *
They should bring back Jones or Big George.

Yep!
Thegreatequalizer
it's pretty hard to think of boxers/former boxers that would be good commentators. i would love to see/hear hagler, but i doubt he would do it. i actually think tommy brooks would be a great commentator, though they probably wouldn't consider him exciting enough.

how about replacing all three with meldrick taylor, hearns, and holyfield?
KookedKrack
This thread needs a poll.....

I would say Richardson followed by Floyd. Floyd would troll the announce team and provide many laugh.gif moments.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 18 2010, 06:15 AM) *
Speaking of Bernard I seen him at the fight this past weekend sitting beside the big CEO. Guess things aren't as bad as they seem.

I noticed that also and it appears that he may get another crack at Joe.
Spyder
QUOTE (salvador @ May 18 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Great choice, but I think they're looking for a person of color, which they should.

DLH is an obvious choice, but too many potential conflicts.

Person of color, then you mention DLH? Why is a Mexican-American more colorful than an Italian-American?
salvador
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 18 2010, 01:55 PM) *
Person of color, then you mention DLH? Why is a Mexican-American more colorful than an Italian-American?

I've never heard of Italian-Americans being described as people of color and so I almost have to assume you're kidding. If not, my point was that the vast majority of fighters are either black or hispanic and it would make sense if at least one of the commentators at HBO looked like the fighters.

Another answer would be that Mexican-Americans have darker skin than Italian-Americans.
lloyd mayflower
Out of those 3, Naaz every time. Floyd is a total prick and giving Roach the platform he needs to service his wannabe-celebrity ego would result in a disastrous ear bashing for all who listened
Box in Hand
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 18 2010, 01:49 PM) *
Out of those 3, Naaz every time. Floyd is a total prick and giving Roach the platform he needs to service his wannabe-celebrity ego would result in a disastrous ear bashing for all who listened

I don't mean to be rude but who the fluck wants to see Roach shaking all over the place? If he was a nice guy I could tolerate it but he's a first class asshole.
BGv2.0
Well, I hate to say it...but Roach's voice is just too rough on it's own....despite any Parkinson's issues....the guy is just not suited for the mic IMHO.

I don't know enough about PBF to make an opinion one way or the other....personally I think it would be best to have a retired fighter instead of one that is still active.

that's the problem I have with all of these picks they are all pretty active as far as what they do...be it boxing or training.

I'd like to see Tarver...but I'm unsure of his status...as in network, retired or not...etc.

BUT....I still say Joe Mesi is the PERFECT mic guy. He's all clean cut and reminds one of a young Lamps....plus his commentary is as smooth as silk! And being a former boxer he knows what he's talking about....but I heard he might be in politics or something now.

King Eugene
Hell get Sylvester Stallone

The was sarcasm by the way.
SmartyBeardo
Richardson of those three.

I'd love to see them rotate between Tyson and Foreman.
Romulus9
Boxing After Dark has already become Golden Boy Promotions presents HBO Boxing After Dark anyway, so they may as well let Captain Fishnets do the commentary too.
Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ May 18 2010, 08:38 PM) *
I've never heard of Italian-Americans being described as people of color and so I almost have to assume you're kidding. If not, my point was that the vast majority of fighters are either black or hispanic and it would make sense if at least one of the commentators at HBO looked like the fighters.

Another answer would be that Mexican-Americans have darker skin than Italian-Americans.

Yeah but I would almost not consider DLH a person of color.
Snoop
Ones I've heard in this thread that have potential are Malinaggi and Mesi. Well spoken and have interesting points of view.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (salvador @ May 18 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Take a look at Sicily on your atlas. I got more color on my johnsonzio than ODLH has on his face.
HaydelHammer
None of the above.

Bring back Roy.
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 18 2010, 06:52 PM) *
Yeah but I would almost not consider DLH a person of color.

It wasn't a racial comment. This is way way way too complicated. Oscar looks more like the fighters HBO covers than Roach or Malignaggi or Merchant or Lampley. That's all I was saying.

salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 18 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Take a look at Sicily on your atlas. I got more color on my johnsonzio than ODLH has on his face.

Well, if your pigment is going to show up anywhere on your body, your johnsonzio is probably the best place for it.
Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ May 19 2010, 01:14 AM) *
It wasn't a racial comment. This is way way way too complicated. Oscar looks more like the fighters HBO covers than Roach or Malignaggi or Merchant or Lampley. That's all I was saying.

No I get what you're saying, but DLH is one sleezy mofo. I'd hardly call him a "man for his people". That being said, I wouldn't want him as a commentator. His voice is so fucking insincere it's disgusting.
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ May 18 2010, 06:20 PM) *
This thread needs a poll.....

Agreed. I was thinking about making one when I first posted but I wasn't sure to include the other suggestions or not. Could one of the mods help us out?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (salvador @ May 18 2010, 08:22 PM) *
Well, if your pigment is going to show up anywhere on your body, your johnsonzio is probably the best place for it.

Actually, the racist underground (just) keep their jokes to themselves because they think I'm Latino. When they get to know me they loosen up a bit with the hate speech until I shut them down, immediately.
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ May 18 2010, 07:35 PM) *
No I get what you're saying, but DLH is one sleezy mofo. I'd hardly call him a "man for his people". That being said, I wouldn't want him as a commentator. His voice is so fucking insincere it's disgusting.

That's so funny about his voice. I actually kind of like him for it.

Obviously he made the decision early on to play the game and make himself be the image he thought would sell the most, and he did it really really well. I think he actually bought himself a Lamborghini as a teenager.

If he'd inherited it it would be one thing, but he earned it by growing up in East L.A. and fighting the toughest guys alive. If he wants to play the good guy who loves his mother because he thinks it puts asses in the seats, God Bless him and God Bless America - as long as he fights the toughest guys out there, which he did.

But I definitely hear what you're saying.

darroy
of these 3 it's brother naz but i think hasim rahman would make a great commentator. he's articulate, witty, has personality, and knows the game. a sleeper pick for me would be shannon briggs. i feel he has the same qualities rahman has though not as accomplished.
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 19 2010, 06:33 PM) *
What about Tarver? I'm pretty sure he has done work before, or he might still do it. Not sure with what company if he still does do it, as I don't always watch the American broadcast.

He's with Showtime and he's good and getting better.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 19 2010, 07:33 PM) *
What about Tarver? I'm pretty sure he has done work before, or he might still do it. Not sure with what company if he still does do it, as I don't always watch the American broadcast.

I think Tarver is with showtime........he fits well with the team they have over there.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 20 2010, 12:33 AM) *

Agreed with sal and KK. Surprisingly Tarver being a commentator has actually made me like him more. He's one of the best boxer/commentators I've seen in a while IMO. Breaks downs fights with great accuracy and says the right things at the right times.
BGv2.0
I swear I'm not pulling for Italians....they just seem to keep coming up in my mind.

What about big Lou Savarese?

He's got that reporter look and if I remember right speaks pretty clear, for sure has knowledge. I just don't know if he has skills at the mic?

Has he ever been on ESPN at any point?
Method
Brother Naaz.

I'd love to see Hopkins and Jones side by side calling fights. that combo would be awesome, and despite the bullshit in those promotional debates, the two get on pretty good.
Hops
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Brother Naaz.

I'd love to see Hopkins and Jones side by side calling fights. that combo would be awesome, and despite the bullshit in those promotional debates, the two get on pretty good.

Hahaha! I can't help smiling thinking of the times when these two will contradict one another and then just stared at each other with question marks on their faces... and/or how they would compare the fight they are currently watching with their previous fights... kinda like, "Roy, you could have done this against Tarver." or "Bernard, this is what you didn't do against Taylor." .
JD
I think the negotiation to determine which one would make more per fight would entertaining.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
James Toney (with subtitles.)

Or our very own CEO. I think he has done a good job with the Q&A segment on FH. That and he is proudly American and I would pay double to hear him trash some of those Eurobum fighters laugh.gif
Al Hata

I'm gonna go with Malignaggi. He seems like a student of the game and knows what going on, he is just a bit limited in the ring.

If they took votes from the fans, I'm voting Toney.
JLUVBABY
i'd love to see roger mayweather get the nod... even in a boring fight he would "mother fuck" every other word to where at least you'd be guarenteed a good laugh every telecast... lol...
streetlion1
Give it to Richardson or Jones Jr.....either way they need some one to freshen up the commentary and have a new fresh face. I always enjoyed Jones commentary.
tottenham19
Richardson -- no doubt in my mind!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.