Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official South Africa World Cup 2010 thread
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
SmartyBeardo
I figured England would come alive. Germany was making them look foolish. The English responded like true fighters. The ref is allowed to f it all to hell.

This is England's moment. The lions have been awakened. If they can overcome this, 2010 may be their year.

I can't believe the FIFA morons have managed to make me a fan of the English.

Here we go. It is time for Rooney to come alive.

England dominating so far. Keeping control. Applying pressure. Near misses.

Germany has become tentative, sloppy. Now they make a run. Corner.

Yet another near miss. Germany is on their heels.

Germany near miss. Their quickness upfront is so superior. Neither defense is exemplary.

Germany is just far superior athletically- 4-1. They are the most impressive offensive force, by far, in this tournament. Nobody has shown the firepower that Germany has.

This is no longer a controversial victory. But it gives England a reason to discuss what might have been.

England's defense was non-existent. They have been humbled by a superior force."!

Rooney coming alive. England continues with relentless pressure.

Germany very near miss.

Germany on a run.

Cole for Milner.

That may have been a payback call.

Germany fastbreak. Score.

This will be a true English tragedy. And it is sad for Germany also, because they have been the superior side today.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 27 2010, 10:51 AM) *
It's true.

They get on the big stage and forget what to do. They was so clearly a goal...I mean...how do you miss that?

I think it's the way fifa instructs them to ref, it's a different style than they are used to. fifa seems to have a much stricter attitude towards fouls and fairplay, but it ends up with a massive amount of unnecessary sendoffs. the missed goal doesn't have anything to do with that though, that's just poor.

even the 2 goals america had disallowed, i don't think were worth all of the complaining i have heard.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 27 2010, 10:19 AM) *
even the 2 goals america had disallowed, i don't think were worth all of the complaining i have heard.

I agree with you. They were judgment calls. But this failure is purely a result of pigheadism. Technology would completely eliminate this problem.

There is no excuse, no reason, no rationalization for this foolishness.

The worst of this foolishness tarnishes a brilliant effort by Germany.

Germany is the team to beat in my admittedly naive futbol opinion.
lloyd mayflower
Forget the "goal" for a start. What goes around comes around. Yes it is pig headedness from FIFA, but as a result of that, there have been many more significant decisions which were wrong. Like Ireland not competing at this world cup, or Kaka sitting out the Portugal game. Unfortunately for us, FIFA are in charge and are run by arseholes, so we all just have to get on with it

The short version of my opinion is that the English prima donnas dont like being told what to do by a disciplinarian like Capello. Not a happy camp, at least thats how it looked from my perspective.

At least I can now enjoy the rest of the tournament without listening to the vile commentators making everything about England and how they are going to win it.

STEVENSKI, give yourself a pat on the back. Thanks to the mighty Germans putting on a footballing clinic, it will indeed, once again be, A.B.E!!!! drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif
PR316
Maxy I'm sure your gutted. I really wanted you guys to pull that one out and it seemed towards the end of the 2nd half when you guys were robbed of a goal that it was going to be a contest. But for some reason the team just fell apart in the 2nd half. Sloppy team play lead to those two counter attacks which basically sealed the match. I must say, I'm not feeling it when I see Rooney dropping back so deep. But then again, England doesn't have a player in the mold of a Xavi or Fabregas to get the ball to Rooney in the open spaces. IMO, Theo Walcott's speed down the wings could have been useful. I also think at the back the team really missed Ferdinand. John Terry was forced to go it alone and he had very little help. England don't play with a DM so there was nobody to snuff out the counter attacks. Capello really did nothing this tournament to help the team with its fluency or anything.

Disappointed to see them go out so early. But Germany played very well. Took their chances and entertained.

Argentina vs Mexico should be a showcase for the Argies.
Mean Mister Mustard
2 back to back matches with bad calls. Is this what it's going to take for FIFA to implement instant replay?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 27 2010, 03:00 PM) *
2 back to back matches with bad calls. Is this what it's going to take for FIFA to implement instant replay?

Honestly, this day brings into sharp focus why so many Americans consider the FIFA World Cup a theatrical exercise in the ridiculous. It makes nearly impossible an argument in favor of it to the skeptical.

Simply a despicable display of the obvious inadequacies of the event. It is hard not to consider the economic and political implications of these suspicious decisions.
The CEO
Every 4 years, I try to give this sport a chance...and every 4 years, I'm reminded very quickly why I don't follow it...

Sure, there's some quality action and goals here and there...but the acting, the calls, the overall pace...it really IS lacking as a sport.

People can say, "It's the most popular sport on the planet." 'til they're blue in the face...but here's something to think about...

Lady Gaga is extremely popular around the world too...

Get some Taste, rest of the world.
Mean Mister Mustard
I guess Fitz was right to underestimate Mexico. Argentina is that good.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 27 2010, 03:47 PM) *
Every 4 years, I try to give this sport a chance...and every 4 years, I'm reminded very quickly why I don't follow it...

Sure, there's some quality action and goals here and there...but the acting, the calls, the overall pace...it really IS lacking as a sport.

People can say, "It's the most popular sport on the planet." 'til they're blue in the face...but here's something to think about...

Lady Gaga is extremely popular around the world too...

Get some Taste, rest of the world.

nah man, it's because the world cup, although a huge event, isn't the best that soccer has to offer. European League play is infinitely better, and so is Champions League.
The CEO
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 27 2010, 04:12 PM) *
nah man, it's because the world cup, although a huge event, isn't the best that soccer has to offer. European League play is infinitely better, and so is Champions League.

lol...I hear that every 4 years too...

Still...in those leagues, the game is what it is...the constant, crazy flopping is the most disgusting shit ever...a moment ago, there was an Argentinian rolling around like he had been disemboweled because he got slapped in the lip...lol

It's like the refs are retards too...falling for the dives....giving out bullshit yellows and what not...I'm pretty sure I could do a better job than them....

In the end, one would think they could present their sport in the best way possible during its grand event on the big stage...but no...they're unable to because the nature of the game is lacking...
lloyd mayflower
Believe me CEO you dont dislike that shit as much as myself and any other real football fans out there. Its a cancer on the game that has crept in worse and worse and is growing proportionally with the money/business side of the game. Like boxing in a way.

The way I see it it should be easy to stamp out. But FIFA have consistently failed to grab their chances to make an example of cheats. This is all down to 2 facts. FiFA is a top heavy, backward organisation who deny progress, and also, that Sepp Blatter aside from not being a football man, is a momental cunt
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 28 2010, 05:47 AM) *
...it really IS lacking as a sport.

I always get a good laugh reading things like this.
Thanks C.E.O.

laugh.gif

Oh man............lol.
The CEO
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 27 2010, 04:46 PM) *
Believe me CEO you dont dislike that shit as much as myself and any other real football fans out there. Its a cancer on the game that has crept in worse and worse and is growing proportionally with the money/business side of the game. Like boxing in a way.

The way I see it it should be easy to stamp out. But FIFA have consistently failed to grab their chances to make an example of cheats. This is all down to 2 facts. FiFA is a top heavy, backward organisation who deny progress, and also, that Sepp Blatter aside from not being a football man, is a momental cunt

I hear all that, man...I understand....like I said, I've tried my best to be open minded towards this sport for many years...I even steered my daughter into playing the game....I've caught big league games too when I've stayed abroad....the skill level increases, and I've been enchanted by supreme ball control and teamwork at times....but the game remains the same...

Fuck it...all I know is, I've tried again....I'll be trading in my FIFA video game tomorrow...lol
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 27 2010, 04:51 PM) *
I always get a good laugh reading things like this.
Thanks C.E.O.

laugh.gif

Oh man............lol.

laugh.gif

You're welcome...it's good shit, ain't it?

The word "lacking" is always a winner...
Fitz
It's an American thing. Not a lot, but the majority of the american public come across as extremely ignorant to the rest of the world. There is a sport that is dominated world wide and nothing comes close. But it can't possibly be that you guys just don't enjoy the sport, it has to be that there is something wrong with the sport, despite it flourishing world wide, lol.
The same thing with TV. The Office (UK), great TV show. American's didn't get it, way too subtle for them, so they dumb it down and make their own version, lol. Look, I can definitely see how the sport isn't for everyone, it's an acquired taste and some people don't have the attention span to watch it, it's very tactical and slower than most sports (by the way, don't you like golf?). I just find it funny, when people say they should change it, or what's wrong with it.
That's like a B-C grade athlete telling Mayweather that he needs to change his style. What do you think Mayweather would say?

"You are C grade and insignificant, I am the best fighter in the world and the most recognised".

That is what it's like when people talk about changing soccer, lol.
The CEO
I'm sorry...I know some of you grew up on El Futbol and follow it religiously....you should know this isn't a personal jab at all....only a fair and honest opinion...

If any American should dig Soccer, it would be me....some of you that really know me behind the scenes could probably vouch for that...

but just because the world likes a Ricky Martin or a Lady Gaga the best....it doesn't mean I have to like them too...lol

Lord knows I've tried...in fact, I believe Soccer has gotten worse and worse over the past few decades...the bad acting and stalling is running rampant now...it used to be not nearly as prevalent...
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 27 2010, 07:26 PM) *
It's an American thing. Not a lot, but the majority of the american public come across as extremely ignorant to the rest of the world. There is a sport that is dominated world wide and nothing comes close. But it can't possibly be that you guys just don't enjoy the sport, it has to be that there is something wrong with the sport, despite it flourishing world wide, lol.
The same thing with TV. The Office (UK), great TV show. American's didn't get it, way too subtle for them, so they dumb it down and make their own version, lol. Look, I can definitely see how the sport isn't for everyone, it's an acquired taste and some people don't have the attention span to watch it, it's very tactical and slower than most sports (by the way, don't you like golf?). I just find it funny, when people say they should change it, or what's wrong with it.
That's like a B-C grade athlete telling Mayweather that he needs to change his style. What do you think Mayweather would say?

"You are C grade and insignificant, I am the best fighter in the world and the most recognised".

That is what it's like when people talk about changing soccer, lol.

Its a point of view thing Fitz. To the Majority of the american public i dont think they consider something wrong with it as much as they just dont like it. Compaired to the big name sports played here, it comes across as boring and pointless.. its not just soccer, Hockey suffers the same fate.

If the rest of the world considers the america public extremely ignorant than what does that say about the rest of the world? In fact if you were here you would see, people are people, the same everywhere. You have assholes in all cultures. As Far as the UK version of television shows, to be honest, and no offense intended, nobody can hardly understand what you are saying. Alot of British shows have a very strong accent that make them hard to watch.

Your analogy on mayweather is incorrect as well. It would be like Micheal Jordan telling mayweather to change the way he does things. Great athletes just very differant sports.

Im being serious here and not slamming soccer for a sec. I really would like to see a generation of Americas elite athletes play soccer because it is a world sport, and would like us to compete with our best in the world community. fact is though, as well as American professional sports pay, and the prestige that comes with playing them, our elite athletes will always gravitate torward the American pro sports first
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 28 2010, 09:05 AM) *
I'm sorry...I know some of you grew up on El Futbol and follow it religiously....you should know this isn't a personal jab at all....only a fair and honest opinion...

If any American should dig Soccer, it would be me....some of you that really know me behind the scenes could probably vouch for that...

but just because the world likes a Ricky Martin or a Lady Gaga the best....it doesn't mean I have to like them too...lol

Lord knows I've tried...in fact, I believe Soccer has gotten worse and worse over the past few decades...the bad acting and stalling is running rampant now...it used to be not nearly as prevalent...

I don't know what your comment about 'anybody liking soccer, it should be you' means, but it doesn't mean anything to me now, as I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, lol.
Comparing Ricky Martin or Lady Gaga is also a cheap shot. People around the world like bad music, generally if sport around the world is popular, it's usually for a reason, and bad sports are never popular, unlike bad music, which can be popular. So while I understand you comparing soccer to those pop artists is another cheap shot (surprise, surprise).

Look, I don't have a problem if someone doesn't like the sport. I just find it funny when people suggest it needs some changes, so it can suit the minority (ie-you). It's going along perfectly, the sport is dominated world wide and doing something right. It doesn't need too much changing.

There are sports like MMA, NFL and such that maybe doesn't appeal to me strongly. Is there something wrong with the sport? Not necessarily, maybe, just maybe it could be that the problem is on my end. I may not have the patience or something. It just doesn't appeal to me. Doesn't mean something is wrong with the sport and I am going to start saying what needs to change in the sport (despite it flourishing and me being in the minority).
That's all I'm saying. Some people seem to think that if the sport doesn't appeal to them, there is automatically a problem with the sport, when in fact it just isn't for you.
I suppose the same thing if someone tried to tell you that beer sucks and something is wrong with it. Maybe you would feel that the person just doesn't like beer, but the guy would be an idiot if he started saying that they need a more 'sweet' flavour, more like a soft drink so it can appeal to him.
You know what beer drinkers would say? Get fucked, beer is fine the way it is, the rest of the world loves it. The problem is you and you not enjoying it, not the beverage itself.
That's all I'm getting at, and why I laugh when people point out what needs to change in something that is so dominant and by a country mile.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 27 2010, 08:37 PM) *
I don't know what your comment about 'anybody liking soccer, it should be you' means, but it doesn't mean anything to me now, as I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, lol.
Comparing Ricky Martin or Lady Gaga is also a cheap shot. People around the world like bad music, generally if sport around the world is popular, it's usually for a reason, and bad sports are never popular, unlike bad music, which can be popular. So while I understand you comparing soccer to those pop artists is another cheap shot (surprise, surprise).

Look, I don't have a problem if someone doesn't like the sport. I just find it funny when people suggest it needs some changes, so it can suit the minority (ie-you). It's going along perfectly, the sport is dominated world wide and doing something right. It doesn't need too much changing.

There are sports like MMA, NFL and such that maybe doesn't appeal to me strongly. Is there something wrong with the sport? Not necessarily, maybe, just maybe it could be that the problem is on my end. I may not have the patience or something. It just doesn't appeal to me. Doesn't mean something is wrong with the sport and I am going to start saying what needs to change in the sport (despite it flourishing and me being in the minority).
That's all I'm saying. Some people seem to think that if the sport doesn't appeal to them, there is automatically a problem with the sport, when in fact it just isn't for you.
I suppose the same thing if someone tried to tell you that beer sucks and something is wrong with it. Maybe you would feel that the person just doesn't like beer, but the guy would be an idiot if he started saying that they need a more 'sweet' flavour, more like a soft drink so it can appeal to him.
You know what beer drinkers would say? Get fucked, beer is fine the way it is, the rest of the world loves it. The problem is you and you not enjoying it, not the beverage itself.
That's all I'm getting at, and why I laugh when people point out what needs to change in something that is so dominant and by a country mile.

Now, let me get this shit straight. Are you defending the fact that FIFA continues to refuse to utilize the most basic technology to avoid a comedy of errors like what happened today?

Do you enjoy watching grown men roll around on the ground acting like they just got shot in order to get their opponent penalized, then jump up and go score a goal?

Are you satisfied with the ludicrous preponderance of ties in the round robin phase of the World Cup?

I have admitted repeatedly that I am not a soccer expert. However, I have been playing it since I was in 4th grade, the first year it was introduced into California public schools. We won the first three elementary school city championships thanks to a PE coach that had played in college and my neighbor who was a half Dutch and Indonesian immigrant. There are more serious soccer fans in America than most guys around here realize. I'm watching Portland v Tampa Bay right now.

None of that makes me an expert. But I can tell you this; the abominations that happened today are not unlike the Whittaker v Chavez Jr draw. They drain life out of the sport for me. There is 0 excuse for that shit. It is disgusting.

We can all sit here and conclude that the superior teams won. That is a sick joke. England's goal would have tied the game in the blink of an eye. England had come roaring back. If the goal had been allowed, nobody can determine what might have happened. England may have steamrolled the Germans. What if England's goal had been allowed and one of Germany's goals had been disallowed?

And the utter bullshit suggesting that Argentina is just that good based on today's performance is sickening. The Mexicans had played them even until that offsides goal. In fact, in my opinion they had outplayed the Baby Blue up until then. If not for the illegal goal, the game was only 2-1. What if that had given Mexico the 1st goal? Would the Mexican defender have made the absentminded blunder he did?

Today's events undermine the legitimacy of the World Cup.

By the way, one of the reasons I enjoy watching soccer is that it is non-stop. No commercial obstructions. I also love American Football but the commercial interruptions are so frequent that it is hard to watch a whole game these days. It is also distressing that the commercials are often more memorable than even the championship game itself.

The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 27 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Well...I didn't tell YOU to get fucked or type out paragraphs worth of rebuttal when you said Beer was piss, did I?...lol...I simply told you that you might wanna try styles of Beer other than Pale Lagers...lol

and fyi, I don't feel it's a cheap shot calling Soccer the Lady Gaga of sports...I think it's a very good and funny comparison...so popular, overly dramatic, and made with an emphasis to have a Global appeal....

You're trying to make it sound like Americans who don't think Soccer is great have the problem...you can say that...I don't care....but the fact of the matter is that most of us grew up around "The Big 3"...Football, Basketball, and Baseball...that's what we're mainly exposed to and offered growing up....

Most Americans really DO NOT give a shit about the sport and don't care to give it a chance...that's the God's honest truth...and that's understandable as it's barely showcased around here...

I've personally given a shit and tried to care, and I STILL can't get the fever though...lol...that's all there is to it...

As far as changes...look at what Lloyd said earlier...as a self confessed, REAL Soccer fan...he admitted it needs some changing...I'm sure you can concede that as well...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 27 2010, 09:39 PM) *
Well...I didn't tell YOU to get fucked or type out paragraphs worth of rebuttal when you said Beer was piss, did I?...lol...I simply told you that you might wanna try styles of Beer other than Pale Lagers...lol

and fyi, I don't feel it's a cheap shot calling Soccer the Lady Gaga of sports...I think it's a very good and funny comparison...so popular, overly dramatic, and made with an emphasis to have a Global appeal....

You're trying to make it sound like Americans who don't think Soccer is great have the problem...you can say that...I don't care....but the fact of the matter is that most of us grew up around "The Big 3"...Football, Basketball, and Baseball...that's what we're mainly exposed to and offered growing up....

Most Americans really DO NOT give a shit about the sport and don't care to give it a chance...that's the God's honest truth...and that's understandable as it's barely showcased around here...

I've personally given a shit and tried to care, and I STILL can't get the fever though...lol...that's all there is to it...

As far as changes...look at what Lloyd said earlier...as a self confessed, REAL Soccer fan...he admitted it needs some changing...I'm sure you can concede that as well...

I gotta tell you CEO, I've been to a lot of cool sporting events in my time, but the single coolest one(and maybe the most awesome thing I've ever done) was seeing Fiorentina play Liverpool in FLorence in a Champions League match. It was by far the best sporting event I have ever been to.
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 27 2010, 09:37 PM) *
Now, let me get this shit straight. Are you defending the fact that FIFA continues to refuse to utilize the most basic technology to avoid a comedy of errors like what happened today?

Do you enjoy watching grown men roll around on the ground acting like they just got shot in order to get their opponent penalized, then jump up and go score a goal?

Are you satisfied with the ludicrous preponderance of ties in the round robin phase of the World Cup?

I have admitted repeatedly that I am not a soccer expert. However, I have been playing it since I was in 4th grade, the first year it was introduced into California public schools. We won the first three elementary school city championships thanks to a PE coach that had played in college and my neighbor who was a half Dutch and Indonesian immigrant. There are more serious soccer fans in America than most guys around here realize. I'm watching Portland v Tampa Bay right now.

None of that makes me an expert. But I can tell you this; the abominations that happened today are not unlike the Whittaker v Chavez Jr draw. They drain life out of the sport for me. There is 0 excuse for that shit. It is disgusting.

We can all sit here and conclude that the superior teams won. That is a sick joke. England's goal would have tied the game in the blink of an eye. England had come roaring back. If the goal had been allowed, nobody can determine what might have happened. England may have steamrolled the Germans. What if England's goal had been allowed and one of Germany's goals had been disallowed?

And the utter bullshit suggesting that Argentina is just that good based on today's performance is sickening. The Mexicans had played them even until that offsides goal. In fact, in my opinion they had outplayed the Baby Blue up until then. If not for the illegal goal, the game was only 2-1. What if that had given Mexico the 1st goal? Would the Mexican defender have made the absentminded blunder he did?

Today's events undermine the legitimacy of the World Cup.

By the way, one of the reasons I enjoy watching soccer is that it is non-stop. No commercial obstructions. I also love American Football but the commercial interruptions are so frequent that it is hard to watch a whole game these days. It is also distressing that the commercials are often more memorable than even the championship game itself.

Some good stuff in there...

and I wanna add this...I haven't REALLY followed ANY sport other than Boxing and MMA for almost 20 years!...so it's not only Soccer that doesn't do it for me...I don't get the fever for Football, Basketball, OR Baseball anymore (I played all 3 for many years and was a highly regarded prospect in the latter)....I might go through fleeting phases where I watch some Grand Slam Tennis or Golf, and play those sports even...those are good sports by me...but my interest for them never lasts...

It's strictly Fighting for me...nothing comes close to a great fight.
The CEO
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 27 2010, 10:06 PM) *
I gotta tell you CEO, I've been to a lot of cool sporting events in my time, but the single coolest one(and maybe the most awesome thing I've ever done) was seeing Fiorentina play Liverpool in FLorence in a Champions League match. It was by far the best sporting event I have ever been to.

I'm sure that was cool, and I could have fun at an event like that....but then again, I'm the type of person who can have fun at a Cancer Fund Raiser...LMAO

and while I'm LMAO...what you said reminds me of how people have told me I would love Nascar if I went to a race live...once again, I would probably have fun...but I can guarantee you I wouldn't become a fan of Racing...

It really all boils down to my Hater Nature...I'm a fan of very few things...lol
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 27 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Some good stuff in there...

and I wanna add this...I haven't REALLY followed ANY sport other than Boxing and MMA for almost 20 years!...so it's not only Soccer that doesn't do it for me...I don't get the fever for Football, Basketball, OR Baseball anymore (I played all 3 for many years and was a highly regarded prospect in the latter)....I might go through fleeting phases where I watch some Grand Slam Tennis or Golf, and play those sports even...those are good sports by me...but my interest for them never lasts...

It's strictly Fighting for me...nothing comes close to a great fight.

You know Boss, your are correct. It is good to be back to the fight game, warts and all.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 27 2010, 07:05 PM) *

The difference between Football and pop stars is that the pop stars are adored mostly by teenagers and their fame will more than likely fizzle out. Soccer has been the #1 sport in the world for decades and millions have the capacity to enjoy the finer aspects of it. Actually if you think about it, conventional wisdom says that it shouldn't really be popular because of the points you presented. And yet it is.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 27 2010, 03:55 PM) *
STEVENSKI, give yourself a pat on the back. Thanks to the mighty Germans putting on a footballing clinic, it will indeed, once again be, A.B.E!!!! drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif

England deserved everything they got. That is balance for them getting a goal that was not a goal in the 66 final against the Germans.

England you are a bunch of never will be's & your nation should be ashamed of you & your performance. You are so pathetic you cannot even produce a national coach that is English but rely on a import.

ABE ABE ABE ABE

Fitz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 28 2010, 11:37 AM) *

Errors happen. I could say the same thing about boxing not utilising basic technology either, but I still love it. I take the good with the bad, mistakes happen and you being a boxing fan should know this and I should not have to explain it to you.

I don't think anybody enjoys that part of the game. I am not really against diving, people need to do, what they need to do. Though I do become disgusted if it's blatant and over dramatic. I don't mind players diving if they disguise it well and do it discretely. Just like I don't have a problem with fighters throwing low blows, or using elbows if they disguise it. When it is blatant, obvious and no disguising it, I don't like it.
I think people need to understand that in soccer as well, scoring is a lot harder to come by, which is why they dive more as it matters more to them. That said, I don't enjoy that aspect, and not many people do.

Newbie question, but will answer it anyways. Yes, draws are fine. People just don't fucking understand the sport, which is why I go back to some people just being too simple. First off, soccer has many different formats. They have leagues, group stages and knockout tournaments. Not all games can end in draws, and if you knew, you would know that only draws occur in the first group stage. After that, there are no draws.
Like I said, it isn't like basketball. Scoring doesn't come frequently. They play 90 minutes, and in some cases, at the end of 90 minutes, if a winner isn't declared. Both teams get 1 point, and that is fine if the group stage. What do you want them to do? Play another 90 minutes or keep going until a score occurs?
If your suggestion is going into penalties in the group stage, that's a dumb idea. Nobody likes penalties, it's basically a 50/50, and no way to do it in group stages.
Win = 3 points
Draw = 1 point
Loss = 0 points

In the group stage, the team with the most points win, if you are on the same number of points, the team with the most goals or the best goal difference (Goals for - Goals against). Explain to me how this scoring system doesn't work?
I would much prefer this, than to shitty teams luck out on penalties in the group stage.

I can jot down about 50 inexcusable things that have occurred in boxing. Maybe that will help you walk away from the sport? I'm not defending mistakes, but oh the irony and the cheek you have to criticise one errors, and out of all sports, you follow fucking boxing. Please.

Saw the goal and it was a bad mistake, and I'm not condoning it. But once again, what about knockdowns in boxing that aren't scored knockdowns, what about when Cintron got stopped by Martinez and said it was a headbut (when it was clearly a punch). Is this the type of scenario where you would say:

"SmartyBeardo - Now, let me get this shit straight. Are you defending the fact that FIFA continues to refuse to utilize the most basic technology to avoid a comedy of errors like what happened today?"

Do you think boxing could have utilised the most basic technology to determine the outcome of that fight?

Cool, so you think Mexico outplayed Argentina for like the first 1/4 of a full game, haha. Argentina win 3-1 and you are suggesting this? Talk about grasping at straws. Man, I don't care whether you like the sport or not. It clearly isn't for you, and I have gathered that from this little discussion.
You just don't understand it/and or like it. That's fine. It's easier to just walk away from it, rather than tell me how they should fix the game that is the most dominant sport in the world, and the biggest sporting event (World Cup) by a country mile so the minority can find it more enjoyable (ie-you).
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 28 2010, 11:39 AM) *

lol, I see you remember me saying that I don't like beer. I can't remember if I explained myself in the thread as it was a while ago. But I like beer (not a fan of the Euro stuff....which I bet surprises you, lol). I actually do like beer, I just don't like it anywhere near as much as most beer drinkers. Can't drink it for the entire night like some, after a while I just need a switch to spirits. I can drink it, and I do like it. I just need to eventually stop with beer after I have had a few,

Well, I felt it was, lol. Pop singers are usually used as an insult in the music industry. You point out Britney Spears, Ricky Martin and so on to point out that the music is good, because it's popular. That is usually an insult in the music industry, when you have respected musicians. I felt that's what you were going for. You didn't say it in so many words, but I felt you were more saying.......It's like Ricky Martin, just because it's popular around the world, doesn't make it good, and clearly comparing other sports to maybe something like a Pink Floyd or someone respected and 'good'.
Like I said, you didn't say it in those words. But you are a smart guy, I am a smart guy. I know you are good at giving good subtle backhanders, lol, and I am not dumb either, I can pick them up. I'm about 95% sure that, this is what you were trying to get at. But if it wasn't and I misjudged it, I apologise. But we are both adults, I think we both know that I was on the right track, lol.

Yes I am saying that, and you don't need to explain it to me. Australians were/are EXACTLY the same you guys are, though I must admit, they are improving and having a little more appreciation of soccer. Here in Australia, the big 3 are aussie rules, rugby and cricket. So you aren't much different to us. I have said the same thing about Australian's. We always used to hear, and still do hear the things that yourself and others have been saying, and it's why I said that the problem isn't the sport, the problem is you (not you directly).
When I say that, I say it that you just don't enjoy the sport. Nothing wrong with that. I don't aspects of the NFL that I have stated before (though I am a little ignorant on the sport), but I'm not going to say what needs to be changed. I could understand if people were pointing out problems and how to fix things in a struggling sport so more people can tune in and watch it. But like I said, this is the most popular sport and has been forever. Nothing needs drastic changing, if you don't like the sport, maybe it just isn't for you? Though I just always kind of find it funny, when people suggest things on how to fix something, that is already so dominant so the minority can enjoy.
I go back to what I was saying earlier. If I wanted people to go fix beer so I can enjoy it more, or maybe make blue cheese a little sweeter so I can like it more. Clearly, so many people enjoy it so something must be right. But I don't like it.....guess what? Maybe the problem is me? That's all I'm getting at.

And I believe you, though it doesn't make it a bad sport. Like I said, it's not much different to Australia. I don't even watch Australian soccer because it's garbage. Your league is probably garbage as well. All the great players go to England, Spain and Italy to play, which is the world stage.
I suppose think about it as your NBA. You get all the players, basketball leagues in other countries are probably no where near as enjoyable because the quality is much lower.
That's not to say that if you did have all the world class players, you would enjoy it. But keep in mind, that the highest level of club soccer is played at a higher level than the teams in the World Cup.

That's good that you gave it a shot. It wasn't for you? No big deal, it isn't for everyone.

Define changing? If it means harsher penalties on diving and things as such. I agree. If you are getting at what Smarty was getting at before about draws, absolutely not.

Also, I am not trying to argue with people who don't like the sport. I really don't care whether people like the sport or not. I more have a problem with people who troll, or keep saying how bad the sport is, and what's wrong with it (not being constructive or having a debate).
I suppose it's the same thing, if we get an MMA guy come into a boxing discussion and tell us how bad and boring boxing is, what's wrong with it, what needs to change, they aren't real fighters as it isn't street fighting and so on. That's what it's like with some people. They don't want to come here, have a discussion about it, they just want to come in here and tell you how bad it is. I think there is a difference.
The other thing is, and I'm not just talking about this thread on this forum (but it is the case here). You pretty much can't have a soccer thread or discussion without people coming in and trolling it and pointing out flaws. Yet you can have basketball, NFL threads and so on without soccer snobs going in there and trolling it.

PR316
Holland vs Slovakia about to be on. Backing the Dutch in this one.
Maxy
Just sat here and enjoyed reading the debate you fellas have been taking part in. Good read.

First off I want to stress how let down I feel by our players. Anybody who follows the sport knows full well that the squad England too to South Africa had a lot of very good players. Definitely better than the likes of Algeria, Slovenia and the USA. However, those players simply didn't turn up for this tournament, whatever the reasons. No excuses though because England were absolutely dire. Woeful. There aren't enough superlatives to adequately describe the atrociousness of England's World cup campaign.

The goal which didn't stand may have perhaps changed the face of the game, and it is possible that Englands players would have gained a psychological advantage having come back from 2 goals down...but that's a moot point and would have only prolonged the inevitable agony. I don't blame the manager, though he made some mistakes and I disagreed with some of his selection policy. The players though, well I don't know how they can look themselves in the mirror after such abject, abysmal failure.

Right, as for the game in general, I would definitely advocate using goal line technology and I felt this way even prior to the 'goal' yesterday. Sepp Blatter is the one man who can make that decision but he vehemently opposes it for some unknown reason. It does go down a sticky path though because once you start with goal line cameras, do you then use the replays for incidents such as Henry's handball against Ireland, or the offside goal yesterday? I don't know but I feel trials need to take place using the technology we now have so we can properly decide whether to implement it across the board or not.

CEO mentioned the diving and the rolling around as if said player has been shot. This is one of the ugliest traits in the modern game. English players have finally caught up with this despicable cheating simply because we were at a major disadvantage beforehand. I remember, after the Heysel disaster, when English clubs were banned from Europe, coming back after the 5 year ban and being shocked at all the diving and cheating. It was so much more prevalent than I previously remembered and it used to leave me fuming. Now you will diving and play acting at every single level of football. That is sad but I doubt there is a way we can stamp it out of the game because a players mentality is to win and if they can gain any unfair advantage, they will. That aspect of the game must put off casual fans in the same way that controversial decisions in boxing do. It's here to stay, it's now part of the game and part of why a group of blokes can talk about football down the pub all night.

Personally I have moved with the times because I have followed the sport, played the sport, and loved the sport since I was able to kick a ball. I'd like it to return to the days when there were full fledged tackles going in all the time but times have changed. Money is king. You can't change the sport and I would never want to change it. It's the best game in the world, creates more passion than any other sport in the world on a global scale and it does all this because of how great a game it is. Those who don't enjoy it, those who look down on it, they can stay away. Football doesn't need them. It's already the biggest and best team sport there is.

Oh and btw, the best club sides in world football are far better than the best national sides. To see the best of football, look no further than the champions league, the English Premier league, La Liga or Serie A. Don't judge football purely on the world cup. It'll mislead you.
Run and Gun Game Calls
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/sto...;cc=5901?ver=us

Now Fifa is going to censor the replays. This game has no integrity.

As for the flopping. In boxing, Fighters fight with broken jaws, mma broken arms, nfl dislocated arms and broken ribs................................soccer flopping like they were shot.

Thats what most Americans hate about his rubbish. The athletes (if you wanna call them that) act like pussies instead of men. Quit begging for a foul and
freakin play. Where is your pride as a man?

I will give this to ice hockey, its played by men, they have some pride in being men. Big props to hockey on this front
lloyd mayflower
Fifa are going to censor the replays because thats what should have been done in the first place. If instant replay is not allowed then the people in control of the big screen shouldnt have played that because it put the ref in a terrible position and could have incited a full scale riot.

As for your points Maxy, I get where your coming from, how far do you go. But the way I see it. Before we even get into that, there are some very basic ones we could clear up easily.
1) Goaline camera - Self explanatory and easy to implement.

2) Offisides - The offside decision, by its very nature, is impossible to make by the human eye. You cant look at 2 things at once. Football is a multi billion dollar industry. I am just a punter, yet I have the technology in my pocket to pinpoint my location on the planet to within a few feet, so no one can tell me a computer/camera combo cant work out whose closest to the goal when a ball is kicked.

3) Retrospective punishment/appeal - One of the biggest jokes in the rule book is that you can appeal a straight red but not a second yellow. How the fuck is it right that Kaka had to sit out after that fuckin monkeys abortion of a ref gave him a second yellow after not even seeing what happened (nothing happened). Also, retrospective punishment. Lets face it, we cant go down the road of replaying games etc, but thing like the Henry incident, come on, he should have been suspended for a good few games for that. Once again tho, FIFA miss the chance to set the precedent. Also if someone goes down holding their face when not hit in the face etc, They must be punished to stop it happening.

4) Waving the imaginary cards and general unsportsmanlike behaviour - If I was a ref, the first time someone did that in front of me, i'd send them off on the spot. If players crowded me as in the Argentina Mexico game, id warn each team captain to remove his players otherwise every single one would get booked. A more controversial rule which I think should be introduced is that if a player needs treatment, he should remain off the park for a period of 5 minutes. I'm sure wankers like Drogba would think twice about rolling around after every challenge if it meant playing with 10 men for 5 minutes. And if your really hurt, well, maybe that 5 minutes will do you good.

Thats the first few that come to my mind. But the biggest issue here is of course just the general use of TV replays. Those who argue against always say oh well where would you restart the game, or how long would it take etc. Well all I can say is that when I sit at home I can rewind the TV straight away and watch a replay within a couple of seconds, so i am sure the 4th official could be set up a lot better than that. Some of the most stuck up, backward sports in the world use TV replays, football has no excuse. Part (all) of me is glad that this happened to the English rather than anyone else, because they will make more noise about it than anyone else would, and consequently might force mr Blatter down from his ivory tower to give the fans some fucking answers
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 28 2010, 03:40 PM) *
Fifa are going to censor the replays because thats what should have been done in the first place. If instant replay is not allowed then the people in control of the big screen shouldnt have played that because it put the ref in a terrible position and could have incited a full scale riot.

I disagree, the replays should be shown more. if the officiating is going to be this bad, let the officals deal with the jeers from the public. Its the o nly thing keeping them halfway honest. Dont protect and shelter officals who are corrupt or dont do their job. Now of course they get security, but let everyone, even the fans in the arena exactly what they are
lloyd mayflower
You dont understand what i'm getting at, I am very much an advocate of instant replays, read my whole post.

However, it is illegal for officials under the current rules to use instant replays, so they shouldnt have been put in that position. If they change their minds after seeing it, then that opens up a whole other debate, this time from the argentine side, saying that the goal was given after illegally consulting a replay. Hence, that was a stupid thing to do. In the Premiership, they dont show replays at games for exactly that reason.
Fitz
Damn Chile started off ok, and now find themselves 2-0 down out of no where. Not surprised though, though the scoreline at half time isn't flattering. They have held their own a bit more than the scores show.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 28 2010, 04:37 PM) *
You dont understand what i'm getting at, I am very much an advocate of instant replays, read my whole post.

However, it is illegal for officials under the current rules to use instant replays, so they shouldnt have been put in that position. If they change their minds after seeing it, then that opens up a whole other debate, this time from the argentine side, saying that the goal was given after illegally consulting a replay. Hence, that was a stupid thing to do. In the Premiership, they dont show replays at games for exactly that reason.

Let me give you another example. The season in MLB a umpire made a call that cost a pitcher a perfect game, The replay was shown, everyone, even the ump knew he made a mistake, He admitted he made the wrong call, and it was by mistake. You know what? the players respected him so much for his honesty he was voted the best umpire in MLB. Mistakes happen, being man enough to own your mistakes is something else. Hell the player who got the perfect game taken away ( a once in a lifetime event wasnt even bitter)

If you handle things the right way, you dont have to hide like a weisel behind bad calls
rusty_trombone
sorry fitzy, your boys are getting smashed up. Brazil is just beastly this go around. their defense will take a special performance to crack, especially if they keep this level of quality. they just made your team almost completely impotent.
Fitz
Yep, I knew Brazil were going to smash Chile. I said so earlier, they always struggle against Brazil. They can beat Argentina, but NEVER beat Brazil, so I was not surprised.
That said, the class was obvious between the two, and I wasn't disappointed in Chile's performance. I thought they put up a good fight, they tried, they attacked. At the end of the day, Brazil were just in a different league.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jun 28 2010, 08:31 PM) *
Let me give you another example. The season in MLB a umpire made a call that cost a pitcher a perfect game, The replay was shown, everyone, even the ump knew he made a mistake, He admitted he made the wrong call, and it was by mistake. You know what? the players respected him so much for his honesty he was voted the best umpire in MLB. Mistakes happen, being man enough to own your mistakes is something else. Hell the player who got the perfect game taken away ( a once in a lifetime event wasnt even bitter)

If you handle things the right way, you dont have to hide like a weisel behind bad calls

The ref and linesman dont have to admit anything. They seen it seconds later, as did everyone else, they know they we were wrong. Theres no need for admossions or whatever. I am sure after seeing that replay they both would have loved to change their decision, but thats a can of worms that isnt theirs to open. Obviously the rules in Major League Batball or whatever u call it are different. I know it was wrong, as I have stated, im just doing the devils advocate bit here. The rules are there, the refs didnt make them, they only enforce them. Its not their place to change what they like.
Mean Mister Mustard
Just want to add that in the end we are all boxing fans to the core and to me that is all that matters.

Slovakia and Chile have nothing to be ashamed about, they played as well as they could against 2 powerhouses just like Mexico did against Argentina yesterday.

PR316
Chile deserved more than losing 3-0. I think they deserved a couple of goals honestly. They just had some bad luck in the box.

But Brazil were very good. Efficient.

Brazil vs Holland will be an epic encounter.

As will Spain vs Portugal.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jun 28 2010, 04:30 PM) *
The athletes (if you wanna call them that) act like pussies instead of men.

You lost me right there.
STEVENSKI
I'm just glad England is gone. I don't care who wins so long as England is gone. The fact that they had a clear goal disallowed just makes it even better.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 28 2010, 05:37 AM) *

Errors happen. I could say the same thing about boxing not utilising basic technology either, but I still love it. I take the good with the bad, mistakes happen and you being a boxing fan should know this and I should not have to explain it to you.

Yeah, you could say the same thing about boxing, but that has nothing to do with this conversation or thread.
Newbie question, but will answer it anyways. Yes, draws are fine. People just don't fucking understand the sport, which is why I go back to some people just being too simple. First off, soccer has many different formats. They have leagues, group stages and knockout tournaments. Not all games can end in draws, and if you knew, you would know that only draws occur in the first group stage. After that, there are no draws.
Like I said, it isn't like basketball. Scoring doesn't come frequently. They play 90 minutes, and in some cases, at the end of 90 minutes, if a winner isn't declared. Both teams get 1 point, and that is fine if the group stage. What do you want them to do? Play another 90 minutes or keep going until a score occurs?
If your suggestion is going into penalties in the group stage, that's a dumb idea. Nobody likes penalties, it's basically a 50/50, and no way to do it in group stages.
Win = 3 points
Draw = 1 point
Loss = 0 points

In the group stage, the team with the most points win, if you are on the same number of points, the team with the most goals or the best goal difference (Goals for - Goals against). Explain to me how this scoring system doesn't work?
I would much prefer this, than to shitty teams luck out on penalties in the group stage.

Why would you assume from my question that referred specifically to the first group stage (round robin) of the tournament that I did not know that there are no draws in the KO phase? Furthermore you assume that I do not know that scoring is infrequent. You assume I do not know and understand the scoring system in the group stage.

What you are is a snob who knows much less than he assumes. Here is an honest suggestion; try reading and understanding a post before you make an ass out of yourself.

How would a lesser team luck out any easier in the group stage with penalty kicks than in the KO phase or final match? Please do not assume because I ask that question that I prefer group stage games that are tied be resolved by penalty kicks. I just want you to answer the question.

In my opinion, if the same rules applied to the group stage as the KO round the better teams would rise to the top just as surely as they do in the current points system. Every game would mean much more. Teams would be motivated to finish off an opponent in regulation time in order to avoid the extra 30 minutes and possible penalty kick shootout.

Personally, I would prefer that the extra 30 minutes be sudden death in the group stage. At the end of the extra 30 minutes, if there is no goal scored, then the match could be declared a tie. This would still motivate teams to finish off opponents early so they do not face sudden death and an extra 30 minutes of exertion. The teams that finished off their opponents in regulation time would be rewarded for doing so. Meaningless third games would vanish as a result.

I can jot down about 50 inexcusable things that have occurred in boxing. Maybe that will help you walk away from the sport? I'm not defending mistakes, but oh the irony and the cheek you have to criticise one errors, and out of all sports, you follow fucking boxing. Please.

Again, these are unrelated topics. I have criticized mistakes made in boxing loudly and often.

Saw the goal and it was a bad mistake, and I'm not condoning it. But once again, what about knockdowns in boxing that aren't scored knockdowns, what about when Cintron got stopped by Martinez and said it was a headbut (when it was clearly a punch). Is this the type of scenario where you would say:

"SmartyBeardo - Now, let me get this shit straight. Are you defending the fact that FIFA continues to refuse to utilize the most basic technology to avoid a comedy of errors like what happened today?"

Do you think boxing could have utilised the most basic technology to determine the outcome of that fight?

Seriously dude, you need to expand your argument. Just because a completely unrelated sport has similar problems to another it does not exonerate either. This thread is about the FIFA World Cup, not about boxing's obvious inadequacies.

As I stated in my previous post, I have played soccer all of my life (though given my age and shape it has been limited to giving my daughter reps) and I have also followed it all of my life. I believe that everything in life has room for improvement. You on the other hand think soccer is akin to boxing, given your repetitious and weak argument.

Cool, so you think Mexico outplayed Argentina for like the first 1/4 of a full game, haha. Argentina win 3-1 and you are suggesting this? Talk about grasping at straws. Man, I don't care whether you like the sport or not. It clearly isn't for you, and I have gathered that from this little discussion.
You just don't understand it/and or like it. That's fine. It's easier to just walk away from it, rather than tell me how they should fix the game that is the most dominant sport in the world, and the biggest sporting event (World Cup) by a country mile so the minority can find it more enjoyable (ie-you).

Seriously Fitz, you need to read what you post a bit more often. Argentina did not win 3-1. They won 2-1, with an extra goal given by gross and avoidable error. If that grotesque mistake had not happened, no one including futbol snobs like yourself could predict how that match would have ended. The same goes for England v Germany.

It is fine that you disagree with me, but at least go into a discussion with open eyes. To assume that someone does not understand or like the game because that person criticizes FIFA is arrogant and ignorant simultaneously. I haven't told you a thing. I have expressed my opinion.

The popularity of the sport and the size of the event both come with inherent responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to insure as fair a competition as possible. FIFA has failed miserably to live up to that responsibility. That has 0 to do with the sport and everything to do with politics and economics.

You are the guy who keeps telling everyone to ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Not extremely bright.
Fitz
I notice you addressed absolutely nothing of what I pointed out to you, except saying that Argentina really won 2-1.

Did you miss my posts about the errors in boxing and the other things.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 28 2010, 09:18 PM) *
I notice you addressed absolutely nothing of what I pointed out to you, except saying that Argentina really won 2-1.

Did you miss my posts about the errors in boxing and the other things.

No, try reading between the quotes. My responses are the same color as the quotes. Yeah, I need remedial forum response training.
Fitz
My bad Smarty. Will read it later.
PR316
Portugal's defense was strong, but Spain kept plugging away and got their deserved goal and victory.

Respect to Portugal. They were very dangerous throughout and put up a great fight.

David Villa 3 goals away from Raul's record of 44 for Spain.
Maxy
Spain pass the ball so well and in David Villa they have a truly world class striker. Torres hasn't had a great tournament so far but there is no better midfield in this world cup than the Spanish.

I see them beating Paraguay very easily in the quarters....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.