Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official South Africa World Cup 2010 thread
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PR316
^^^^True. The midfield takes the pressure off the defense but even still, Pique and Puyol really worked hard to defend Casillas' goal. Respect to them.

In other news, David Silva to Man City for 33 million. Valencia disappoint me with this one. We should have gotten at least 40 million for him. And word is that there is a great possibility that Mata goes to either Barcelona or possibly Man United. I'm afraid Valencia will struggle next season. Wouldn't be surprised if he we end up in the midtable.
lloyd mayflower
The current market is way out of control, David Silva is good, but hes not worth 33 mill, never mind 40. Ronaldo and Kaka moving for all that money in the summer has just blown up the value of every player beyond reason. And when Man City are involved, its just a case of we want him, we must have him now, we'll pay what you wany. Valencia and their supporters should be gratefull it was City that are buying him because there is no other club that would have paid that money
PR316
^^^^Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% with you that Silva is not worth 40. At best 35. But with the way the market is and considering the fact that it is MANCHESTER CITY, whom paid 25-30 million for Adebayor, I think they should have gone for a bit more. Especially considering Valencia's delicate situation as far as their debt goes. They really need money not to mention that they're probably not going to make any major signings for a few seasons now. But its time to cash in on him and make a few bucks for sure.

I think Juan Mata will be the next one to be sold.
lloyd mayflower
What a result for Holland. Didnt think about this before, but if Holland were to win this, they would have won every single game from qualifiers through to winning the cup. That would be some achievement. Would make me feel better knowing that Scotland got dicked by the eventual winners
rusty_trombone
Nederland son!
PR316
Holland had a great 2nd half. They just went up another gear. They did have a little luck of course, but what really won it for them was that when they turned it up, Brazil just fell apart. So much for them being "mentally strong".

This World Cup has gotten VERY INTERESTING..
lloyd mayflower
Yep, I must say Brazil were as strong a tip as I could have given throughout. Anybodys tournament now. The Dutch are doing what is neccessary, they flew under the radar in the groups and are now going through the gears, the Argies look awesome going forward but suspect at the back and as we seen in 2006 also against Germany, their discipline can be their downfall. The Germans got badly rattled after conceding against England and could get punished tomorrow but they are also an attacking force. I also expect Spain to get through and if Torres clicks into form they obviously will be a force.

Ghana flying at half time too! Didnt see that one coming at all!

Man I fucking love the world cup. My girlfriend must fucking hate it!!

The end of that game!!! Holy shit, you couldnt make that shit up! How gutted will Gyan be if Ghana go out, and how relieved must Suarez be already!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 2 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Yep, I must say Brazil were as strong a tip as I could have given throughout. Anybodys tournament now. The Dutch are doing what is neccessary, they flew under the radar in the groups and are now going through the gears, the Argies look awesome going forward but suspect at the back and as we seen in 2006 also against Germany, their discipline can be their downfall. The Germans got badly rattled after conceding against England and could get punished tomorrow but they are also an attacking force. I also expect Spain to get through and if Torres clicks into form they obviously will be a force.

Ghana flying at half time too! Didnt see that one coming at all!

Man I fucking love the world cup. My girlfriend must fucking hate it!!

The end of that game!!! Holy shit, you couldnt make that shit up! How gutted will Gyan be if Ghana go out, and how relieved must Suarez be already!

wow, that's the most agonizing loss i have ever seen. suarez better be getting a bj from some hot ass urugayan bitches tonight.
Mean Mister Mustard
So far Germany have scored 8 goals in total against England and Argentina. Could another carpet bombing await Spain or Paraguay?
PR316
Spain are the only ones who can beat Germany. Holland has a chance because of their midfield but I would only place 100% confidence in the Spanish against the Germans.

Assuming Spain wins against Paraguay, Spain vs Germany minus well be the final of this tournament.
Maxy
Paraguay bore me to tears...I'm hoping Spain can break them down but all the while it stays like this, the South Americans might nick a goal and do a Switzerland on them!
PR316
Spain DESERVEDLY go through. I hate it when teams play the way Paraguay does. They tried to beat Spain with an Italian job. Pisses me off.

But Spain vs Germany will be entertaining. The Germans will come to attack and play football, unlike Paraguay who's clear strategy was to take it to penalties.

I look for Spain to go through and look good doing it.
PR316
^^^I honestly think Uruguay has been better, but Paraguay aren't easy for anybody, thats for sure.
PR316
Predictions.

Holland vs Uruguay

Tough match for the Dutch. Uruguay are very organized, rugged, and have deadly finishers in Forlan, Suarez, and Abreu. Suarez is suspended as well know for his red card and that is huge because the Dutch defense will have less to worry about, and it puts more pressure on Forlan. We know Holland will see more of the ball with Sneijder pulling the strings, though they could make it easier if they partner him with Van Der Vaart. And with Robben and Kuyt on the wings, their attack has extra bite with an out of form Van Persie not really lighting it up. Be that is it may, I expect the Dutch to eventually break through the Uruguyan defense and win a close tight match. I think they have just a bit much on quality for Uruguay who are tough and blue collar but other than Forlan and suspeded Suarez, they don't really have someone who can change a game in an instand and Forland can't do it alone.

Uruguay 1-0

Germany vs Spain

This will be a footballing feast. The Germans are riding high on great form having destroyed both England and Argentina back to back, while Spain have had tough battles with ultra defensive teams like Portugal and Parguay. This game will be won in midfield. It will be up to Ozil and Schweinsteiger to try and disposses the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, and Alonso and keep the ball away from them. We all know Spain can pass you to death and make you chase the ball which in turn opens up spaces for the likes of Villa and Torres. I think Muller is a big loss for the Germans. He IMO has been their best player with 4 goals and 3 assists. Spain will have to be careful on set pieces though. Thats where they're really most vulnerable IMO and against Germany they can't afford those mistakes. I expect an exciting game. Germany will want revenge for Euro 2008 and I expect them to go out and entertain, and the Spanish will meet them head on. When it all comes down to it, I think Spain have the superior midfield and in the end, thats what keeps the pressure off their somewhat vulnerable defense. And thats what I feel will win this game for them.

Spain 2-0
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 6 2010, 01:06 PM) *
Predictions.

Be that is it may, I expect the Dutch to eventually break through the Uruguyan defense and win a close tight match.

Uruguay 1-0

How the fuck can you expect the Dutch to win a close and tight match, and then predict Uru to win 1-0? C'mon man, get it together.
PR316
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 6 2010, 04:50 PM) *
How the fuck can you expect the Dutch to win a close and tight match, and then predict Uru to win 1-0? C'mon man, get it together.

Oh shit!!!!.... LOL.... TYPO....

I meant Holland..
Fitz
Rusty, you should go for Uraguay. They are South America's Italy.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 6 2010, 07:07 PM) *
Rusty, you should go for Uraguay. They are South America's Italy.

too late for that. i'm rooting for holland, i went to amsterdam last year, and it was fucking awesome.

also, fuck you for hating on italy. don't be mad that their organization and tactics are superior to that of the rest of the world(except for this particular world cup). don't worry, they'll regroup for euros, and piss off the world again.
PR316
^^^^^Admit it Rusty. biggrin.gif You know the Italians got lucky in 2006. You know they didn't deserve it.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 6 2010, 07:50 PM) *
^^^^^Admit it Rusty. biggrin.gif You know the Italians got lucky in 2006. You know they didn't deserve it.

I don't think only allowing your opponents to score 2 goals, one of the a pk, one of them an own goal is luck. They had the best goaltender and defense in the world.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 6 2010, 08:56 PM) *
And any second now the futbol intelligentsia will swoop in and drone on about how I don't understand the game. "Scoring is rare. So extremely boring teams are actually the most exciting. And grotesque, avoidable mistakes in officiating mean nothing because this is the biggest sporting event on the planet involving the most popular sport in the history of the universe. Bow down before the FIFA gods and enjoy the boredom and corruption they feed you."

See, you misunderstand the soccer intelligentsia. Most fans don't like FIFA, FIFA only comes around once every 4 years, and have nothing to do with most soccer. Also, the problem most fans have with American fans is that instead of putting the owness on themselves and say "I don't like soccer", they say "i don't like soccer because it sucks". The sport doesn't suck because you don't like it, you just don't like it. They come across like their retarded opinion about sports is the be all and end all, instead of just letting bygones be bygones.
PR316
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 6 2010, 08:29 PM) *
I don't think only allowing your opponents to score 2 goals, one of the a pk, one of them an own goal is luck. They had the best goaltender and defense in the world.

I'm messing with ya bro. I thought it would make you mad. LOL...

I'll be honest. I don't like Italy's style of play and I was absolutely THRILLED when Spain beat them in Euro 2008.

But I must admit, I expected much more out of them this World Cup.

I thought you guys would at least get to the quarters.

And Buffon arguably still is the best goal keeper in the world.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 6 2010, 09:12 PM) *
See, you misunderstand the soccer intelligentsia. Most fans don't like FIFA, FIFA only comes around once every 4 years, and have nothing to do with most soccer. Also, the problem most fans have with American fans is that instead of putting the owness on themselves and say "I don't like soccer", they say "i don't like soccer because it sucks". The sport doesn't suck because you don't like it, you just don't like it. They come across like their retarded opinion about sports is the be all and end all, instead of just letting bygones be bygones.

What part of anything I have said in any post on this thread suggests that "'i don't like soccer because it sucks.'" I don't like the Italian team. I don't like the proliferation of ties in the group phase of the FIFA World Cup. I don't like that England and Mexico were robbed of a fair match each.

Take "the sport doesn't suck because you don't like, you just don't like it" crap down the road. I have opinions on soccer, the FIFA World Cup, and the teams. You might be of the opinion that my opinions are retarded. I think the Italian team played retarded. I think FIFA's refusal to utilize the most basic technology to improve the fairness of their event is retarded. I think rewarding teams for keeping 10 men back for 90 minutes in the group phase is retarded. But soccer itself is fine.
Lil-lightsout
I can not believe people watch this crap. So freaking boring...along with golf, nascar, baseball, etc.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 7 2010, 09:36 AM) *
What part of anything I have said in any post on this thread suggests that "'i don't like soccer because it sucks.'" I don't like the Italian team. I don't like the proliferation of ties in the group phase of the FIFA World Cup. I don't like that England and Mexico were robbed of a fair match each.

Take "the sport doesn't suck because you don't like, you just don't like it" crap down the road. I have opinions on soccer, the FIFA World Cup, and the teams. You might be of the opinion that my opinions are retarded. I think the Italian team played retarded. I think FIFA's refusal to utilize the most basic technology to improve the fairness of their event is retarded. I think rewarding teams for keeping 10 men back for 90 minutes in the group phase is retarded. But soccer itself is fine.

so you have a problem with fifa, i don't give 2 shits about fifa because it only rears its head every 4 years. if you actualy watched soccer, and were a fan, you would understand that. so you're saying you like soccer, but want it improved, i'm fine with that. as far as not liking the "proliferation of ties", not all of us need to see a win every time. if a tie fits into a particular teams strategy, then so be it.

as far as strategy in the group phase of play, just stop watching tournament soccer then. i don't find a lack of scoring boring, i like to see that the game involves a great deal of planning, organization, strategy and tactics. And those tactics can be employed to realize a larger goal, like not just abusing yourself to get one cheap win when the goal is the title.

You know what I think is retarded, the playoff system in nfl football. You play a whole season, and for some stupid reason the games at the end are more important. i think it's stupid that the "champion" is not awared it because they are the best team, it's because they happen to be the best team for a few weeks.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 6 2010, 11:39 PM) *
And Buffon arguably still is the best goal keeper in the world.

when he is healthy
PR316
Fresh blood in this World Cup.

We'll have a new winner.

About damn time!.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 7 2010, 05:13 PM) *
Fresh blood in this World Cup.

We'll have a new winner.

About damn time!.

You were spot on about Spain's superior midfield, they really made it hard for the Germans to break trough. Wonder if Holland can do a better job.
PR316
Well Holland have Van Brockhurst and Sneijder whom are quicker and more skillful than any of the German midfielders so they'll be able to see more of the ball than them on paper.

You have to shut down Spain's midfielders to win. It all begins with the pass for them. They can pass any team dizzy.

After a while, it gets hard for even the best of defenses to keep the likes of Villa, Torres, Silva, Pedro, etc from scoring in a 90 minute period. Difficult to contain.

Overall I give Germany credit. They came to play. Not like Paraguay that just sat back and tried to take it to penalties. Great side.

Its just that the style of the Spanish doesn't allow them to do their thing. You can't counter attack if you can't win the ball in good positions. And today Xavi, Iniesta, and Alonso hardly lost the ball and Busquets deserves credit for playing his role holding mid very well. Thats why it was a very similar match to the one they had in Vienna 2 years ago in the Euro 2008 final.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 7 2010, 07:09 PM) *
Well Holland have Van Brockhurst and Sneijder whom are quicker and more skillful than any of the German midfielders so they'll be able to see more of the ball than them on paper.

You have to shut down Spain's midfielders to win. It all begins with the pass for them. They can pass any team dizzy.

After a while, it gets hard for even the best of defenses to keep the likes of Villa, Torres, Silva, Pedro, etc from scoring in a 90 minute period. Difficult to contain.

Overall I give Germany credit. They came to play. Not like Paraguay that just sat back and tried to take it to penalties. Great side.

Its just that the style of the Spanish doesn't allow them to do their thing. You can't counter attack if you can't win the ball in good positions. And today Xavi, Iniesta, and Alonso hardly lost the ball and Busquets deserves credit for playing his role holding mid very well. Thats why it was a very similar match to the one they had in Vienna 2 years ago in the Euro 2008 final.

yeah, germany was constantly turning the ball over on their side of the pitch. they only had a few chances, although they should have scored on podolski's cross.

I think the dutch will be a team that is fearless of Spain's attack though, and although that might get you blown out, you have to attack against that team because Spain's only weakness is their back 4. it's not that they suck, but they often get disorganized and panic. Casillas is fucking great, but you have to attack Spain's weakness, hopefully Sneijder and company will be up to task. I mean Sneijder was integral in beating virtually the same midfield(and the same 2 central defenders, but the same setup. Valdes is no schmuck in goal) when Inter beat Barca, but the Dutch are no where near as defensively sound as Inter was.

I mean, a 1-0 loss is the same as a 4-3 loss or even a 4-0 loss, you might as well give yourself the best chance to win, and that's attack and pray for the Dutch.
PR316
The Germans are an amazing side. But they remind me of Spain back in 2006. Young, naive and inexperienced.

The manager Low made that very mistake which he'll live to regret. Not attacking Spain....

First of all, being one of the main critics on Del Bosque, tonight, Del Bosque showed a tactical superiority and a personality that I didn't expect from him, being honest. I guess we all knew Spain had it all to be in a final... for the first time in this WC, Del Bosque was clever in his initial lineup and his brave attitude puts Spain in a final. In my opinion, Spain gave a lesson of football tonight.

Since the very first minute, Spain showed an unexpected superiority. Unexpected, because Spain had been creeping during the whole WC. But tonight Spain was a machine of football and there are 2 reasons for it

1) Spain was brave. I don't know if it's the triumph of the Euro or what, but this generation of players have a winning attitude never seen in Spain in the past. Tonight, Spain was loyal to their style. For the first time in this WC, Spain said: "the ball is ours and we're going to play with you Germany"... and they did it

2) Germany showed too much respect. Who would have said? Germany have it all... but they played depending on the plan of the rival. Schwensteiger followed Xavi (or he tried it), Lahm didn't go forward, Ozil didn't want to lose his defensive position.... and so on

Del Bosque was brave to leave a super-star like Torres out... to put Pedro in (Pedro was playing in third division 2 yeas ago). Pedro and Iniesta went in to find Xavi... and it's pure chemistry: BOOM! Spain found themselves. Pedro was essential. Pedro blocked Lahm, not following him, but forcing him to stay in his position. Xavi and Iniesta were in their best version, when they connect, they just create magic....

Spain had the ball... it was a matter of time... Germany followed shadows, every German was 75 mts away from Casillas, who only had to make one save in the whole game (Krool's shot), set pieces aside. Spain was a machine of football, really solid in defense (in that 25% of time they didn't have the ball), extraordinary in the ball posesion... and when you have the ball, it's just a matter of time

Its gonna be a great final. Spain should win but we'll have to see. Anything can happen and Holland are a great side.

But I'll say this. The future looks bright for Germany. Lots of young talent. They'll be right in the thick of things for Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014.

Italy if they concentrate on the young talent they have a great future. Forestieri who plays for Malaga is an Italian Leo Messi.

Holland and Spain have boat loads of young talent coming through. They'll be there in the mix for sure. Brazil and Argentina are in the same boat.

France have lots of talent but I fear there's a big lack of unity there. And not just because of this tournament. But since 2006 after the World Cup they've really come apart at the seams. It could be a long time before they ever get the chance to win a big trophy again.

England I don't know. Talent is there. But the teamwork isn't. Lots of egos I feel. I've said it before I'll say it again. I think only an Alex Ferguson could get these guys to stop being spoiled prima donnas and get their act together.

Not sure about the rest of the teams..

SmartyBeardo
Mueller.
PR316
^^^Was a loss for sure. The Germans definitely missed him.

Whether he would have made a difference in the outcome is something we'll never know.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 7 2010, 11:23 PM) *
The Germans are an amazing side. But they remind me of Spain back in 2006. Young, naive and inexperienced.

The manager Low made that very mistake which he'll live to regret. Not attacking Spain....

First of all, being one of the main critics on Del Bosque, tonight, Del Bosque showed a tactical superiority and a personality that I didn't expect from him, being honest. I guess we all knew Spain had it all to be in a final... for the first time in this WC, Del Bosque was clever in his initial lineup and his brave attitude puts Spain in a final. In my opinion, Spain gave a lesson of football tonight.

Since the very first minute, Spain showed an unexpected superiority. Unexpected, because Spain had been creeping during the whole WC. But tonight Spain was a machine of football and there are 2 reasons for it

1) Spain was brave. I don't know if it's the triumph of the Euro or what, but this generation of players have a winning attitude never seen in Spain in the past. Tonight, Spain was loyal to their style. For the first time in this WC, Spain said: "the ball is ours and we're going to play with you Germany"... and they did it

2) Germany showed too much respect. Who would have said? Germany have it all... but they played depending on the plan of the rival. Schwensteiger followed Xavi (or he tried it), Lahm didn't go forward, Ozil didn't want to lose his defensive position.... and so on

Del Bosque was brave to leave a super-star like Torres out... to put Pedro in (Pedro was playing in third division 2 yeas ago). Pedro and Iniesta went in to find Xavi... and it's pure chemistry: BOOM! Spain found themselves. Pedro was essential. Pedro blocked Lahm, not following him, but forcing him to stay in his position. Xavi and Iniesta were in their best version, when they connect, they just create magic....

Spain had the ball... it was a matter of time... Germany followed shadows, every German was 75 mts away from Casillas, who only had to make one save in the whole game (Krool's shot), set pieces aside. Spain was a machine of football, really solid in defense (in that 25% of time they didn't have the ball), extraordinary in the ball posesion... and when you have the ball, it's just a matter of time

Its gonna be a great final. Spain should win but we'll have to see. Anything can happen and Holland are a great side.

But I'll say this. The future looks bright for Germany. Lots of young talent. They'll be right in the thick of things for Euro 2012 and World Cup 2014.

Italy if they concentrate on the young talent they have a great future. Forestieri who plays for Malaga is an Italian Leo Messi.

Holland and Spain have boat loads of young talent coming through. They'll be there in the mix for sure. Brazil and Argentina are in the same boat.

France have lots of talent but I fear there's a big lack of unity there. And not just because of this tournament. But since 2006 after the World Cup they've really come apart at the seams. It could be a long time before they ever get the chance to win a big trophy again.

England I don't know. Talent is there. But the teamwork isn't. Lots of egos I feel. I've said it before I'll say it again. I think only an Alex Ferguson could get these guys to stop being spoiled prima donnas and get their act together.

Not sure about the rest of the teams..

Euro's should be good, I expect much more from Italy. Hopefully they start using some of the abundance of young alent the have. Balotelli & Rossi both need to be on the side, I have no idea why Iaquinta and Gilardino got a minute of playing time. Unfortunately, they will have to start rebuilding the defense, but with Chiellini as the anchor, and Criscito as a new staple they should be ok. They still have Santon who didn't get picked, and Cassano is a very good player also. They Italians have plenty of talent, they just have to put it together again, I expect them to do well in Euro's, and challenge in the next cup, I'm excited about the new coach I got to see him coach against Liverpool in a campions league game in Florence, and I have to say, a team without the talent of Liverpool played tactically better.
PR316
A friend of mine who lives in Italy says that the fans really wanted to start a riot because of the squad that Lippi took with him to South Africa.

It seems to me that in Italy there's that mentality that you have to EARN a call up by paying dues, etc. I mean I have to ask because it seems that almost the whole squad was on the wrong side of 30 trying to compete with these young 20 something year old teams. You need energy to defend and keep up with these quick young guys plus the speed to hit them on the break and score. I think Lippi just called up guys based more on LOYALTY and FRIENDSHIP as opposed to if they really deserved a call up for the national team.

I agree with you that an injection of youth is needed. Cassano and Forestieri are good young players. Santon as well and Criscito. Pazzini is a very good player too. Quality striker. I would still stick with Buffon in goal while he shows no signs of declining.. The likes of Cannavaro, Gattusso and Pirlo. should be out IMO. To me, they're just not very productive anymore. Quagliarella is a good player who could prove himself worthy of leading the line if given the chance. Di Natale is still productive. But more youth is needed indeed and Lippi should never coach Italy again.,
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 8 2010, 06:57 PM) *
A friend of mine who lives in Italy says that the fans really wanted to start a riot because of the squad that Lippi took with him to South Africa.

It seems to me that in Italy there's that mentality that you have to EARN a call up by paying dues, etc. I mean I have to ask because it seems that almost the whole squad was on the wrong side of 30 trying to compete with these young 20 something year old teams. You need energy to defend and keep up with these quick young guys plus the speed to hit them on the break and score. I think Lippi just called up guys based more on LOYALTY and FRIENDSHIP as opposed to if they really deserved a call up for the national team.

I agree with you that an injection of youth is needed. Cassano and Forestieri are good young players. Santon as well and Criscito. Pazzini is a very good player too. Quality striker. I would still stick with Buffon in goal while he shows no signs of declining.. The likes of Cannavaro, Gattusso, Pirlo, and Di Natale should be out IMO. To me, they're just not very productive anymore. New blood is needed.

I actually think Pirlo played well for the half that he played. Pazzini had a good year for Sampdoria, I'm excited to see what that team can do in champions league.

Yeah, Lippi picked the team that knew how to play his tactics, unfortunately they just weren't good enough to anymore.
SmartyBeardo
This should be an awesome final game. I'm picking the Dutch though Spain looked amazing v Germany (- Mueller).
PR316
I've got Spain winning.

Lets see how the Dutch do without the ball in their possesion the majority of the match. Their midfield will have to step up because the quick passing of the Spanish and the quick runs into spaces open up even the tightest defenses. Sneijder and Van Bommel will have to work really hard to keep the ball away from Xavi, Iniesta, and Alonso because those guys know how to spot the runs of Villa, Torres, and Pedro. Holland's key will be Robben vs Capdevila. Its gonna be tough to contain him so he'll need some help. Pique has been Spain's best defender this tournament. I think Man United should have kept him honestly. He's been Superman despite his one mistake against Paraguay causing a penalty that could have knocked Spain out. Casillas of course when called upon is at least the 2nd best keeper in the world behind maybe Buffon. Van Persie has not been at his best. I think just one goal in this tournament so far. He'll have to find his finishing touch if Holland are to win this thing because I do believe he'll get at least 1 or 2 good chances.

In the end, I think the Spanish will prove too much of everything. Xavi will lead of course, and when he plays well everything sorta just falls into place. I think he'll keep the ball away from Sneijder and Robben and I think the attackers will penetrate often. I think Spain will get an early lead, Holland will come back in the 2nd half but it'll be too little too late. Spain will win 3-1 and Villa will get the scoring title and player of the tournament.
lloyd mayflower
Mark Van Bommel has been cruising for an early bath for the last 3 games. I think the final may just be the game where he gets his wish.
Maxy
PR...I agree with you about Pique but at that time he wanted guarantees that he'd be in the side and we had Ferdinand and Vidic who were arguably the best partnership in the world back then. So we couldn't give him those guarantees and reluctantly allowed him his move back to Barcelona. It's worked out well for the boy, he's proving to be a great defender, although his pace is definitely somewhat lacking.

As for the final, I can't look past Spain. The only thing they seem to lack is a killer instinct for me. They pass the ball and keep the ball better than any side in the world but sometimes they don't shoot when it would perhaps be better to do so. In that respect they remind me of Arsenal.

I think it'll be a good game....pretty tight but I'll make my pick as 2-1 to Spain.
D-MARV
Spain are Champs!
PR316
The Spanish deserved it. They were the best team throughout with the exception of Switzerland, a match they dominated. It wasn't always pretty. But like true champs they figured out a way to get it done everytime.

Holland put up one helluva fight. They were the 2nd best team no doubt. Had their chances to win too.

Germany, Holland, & Spain have to be considered the 3 European football powerhouses. France and Italy can come back and become whom they once were and have the talent to do it.

Great Summer for Spanish football.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Thank you sweet jesus, no more soccer for 4 years
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 13 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Thank you sweet jesus, no more soccer for 4 years

Actually, the club leagues start in about 5 or six weeks.
Run and Gun Game Calls
not in the Us they dont !!!!!!! we wont hear about soccer at all, except for a few box scores from MLS for another 4 years!!!! woo hooo !!! Ill buy this round, drinks on me
lloyd mayflower
You would hear about it even less if you simply ignored this thread, as I do with the NFL and NBA threads as I consider both of them to be completely gash
PR316
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 13 2010, 05:12 PM) *
not in the Us they dont !!!!!!! we wont hear about soccer at all, except for a few box scores from MLS for another 4 years!!!! woo hooo !!! Ill buy this round, drinks on me

I believe the English Premier League is amongst the most watched in this country. I'll check the ratings but I remember hearing it outnumbers alot of stuff here.
BigG
I dont know...I'm kinda sold on World Cup soccer.......4th favorite sport to watch now besides Boxing/MMA/NBA.

Watched every game with my family cheering on Spain.....

The fucking Octopus was right XD
PR316
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 20 2010, 07:23 PM) *
I dont know...I'm kinda sold on World Cup soccer.......4th favorite sport to watch now besides Boxing/MMA/NBA.

Watched every game with my family cheering on Spain.....

The fucking Octopus was right XD

MAXY mentioned this earlier.

But if you like the World Cup, I'm willing to bet you would love the club level soccer. Its SO MUCH BETTER...

The international level of the game brings and emotional and EPIC feel which is amazing within itself.

But if you could watch any of the Premier League, La Liga, or even Serie A, you would see just how exciting the game really is.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 20 2010, 08:57 PM) *
But if you could watch any of the Premier League, La Liga, or even Serie A, you would see just how exciting the game really is.

"or even Serie A." At least the teams are competitive with each other in Serie A, it's not just Barcelona and Madrid kicking the shit out of a bunch of shitbags. Same for Premier League, I don't know why La Liga even exists, the only games the count are the 2 between Barca and Real. They should just play each other every week, and the other dicks can just stay home.

Bashing the Italian league, you dick. I would rather watch Bundesliga than La Liga.

Seriously though, if you want to watch the best and most exciting football in the world George, watch UEFA Champions League, you can see every game in the States now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.