Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official South Africa World Cup 2010 thread
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
ROLL DEEP
I'm expecting a real tough game for us against the US.

The first game is always a horrible one and the States aren't exactly a walk in the park. England SHOULD beat them - I'm looking at a safety first 1-0 win.
The CEO
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jun 12 2010, 07:15 AM) *
England VS America later today!

WOOOOO!!!

I'll be gutted if we start off on a defeat to you lot laugh.gif

So America's playin' Engurlund in that Soccer sport today?

laugh.gif

That'd be funny if The US kicks the shit outta them...not funny to YOU, ROLL...but funny to me...lol
JD
This match has draw written all over it.

Tim Howard knows your boys well, and while the US has plenty of injuries, they will hang tough. 1 - 1.

Side note...France is terrible.
Maxy
Had a skinful, just off to the pub.

England will thrash the yanks tonight. We better do anyway!

laugh.gif
The CEO
I turned this on a little while ago, and there were like 7 Americans draped in flags chanting, "USA! USA! USA!".....smack dab in the middle of an English pub!...lol

I coulda swore one of them was chanting, "FUCK WORLD PEACE!" too...LMAO

I'm gonna watch this sucker...
Spyder
That guy wearing all Green is the MVP so far...

laugh.gif
Fitz
I don't follow soccer as closely as some others, but can somebody explain to me how the fuck Veron is still playing for Argentina? He wasn't playing the last world cup, and the last I remember of his was Veron coming over to Manchester United soon after the 2002 world cup, didn't perform and then they got rid of him. Hadn't seen him in like 6 years or so. He played shit last night, even the commentators were criticising him. Is he friends Maradonna or something? Now I know Maradonna and Riquelme didn't see eye to eye, but he should be there instead of Veron.
PR316
The only thing I can sayFitz is that Maradona's squad selection is not for understanding. He left out Cambiasso, Riquelme, Banega, and a few others. Not sure what his vision is on how he plans to win this thing. Veron has been playing for the Argentinan club "Estudiantes" since 2006, after leaving Inter. His friendship with Maradona is the only thing I believe that keeps him in the squad.
ROLL DEEP
You were bang on JD.

1-1.

Pfffft - what a clanger by the keeper! Man, can't believe that. England played ok, but we still couldn't muster anything more than a draw against USA.

Lots of chances, but they don't win games - goals do and we couldn't get anything done. England are gay.
SENTRAL
We matched England and deserved the 1-1 result. I saw the english were scared of our pace and now we can look forward to the knock out stages because we are going through and we might finish the group in top spot. We have nothing to fear.
Maxy
Disappointed in England last night, I thought we were very poor. Although you can't legislate for the goalkeeping error, the performance in general just wasn't good enough.

You have to question the inclusion of Ledley King, we all know his injury problems, so it wasn't any real surprise to see that he only lasted half a game. Frank Lampard was anonymous but my major gripe was our wing play. It was appalling. First a clearly unfit Milner on the left being replaced by Wright Phillips, a right sided player who made no impact on the game. He's always going to cut inside so crossing the ball was never going to happen. On the right we had Lennon. How bloody ineffective was he? He should have used his pace to beat his man as often as possible and put a damn cross in. But no. That was beyond him. Very poor, very disappointing....but hey, that's England. I still expect us to top the group with USA finishing second though.

USA were pretty good. They were organized and although they rarely threatened, they certainly weren't overawed or outplayed. Fair play to them.
Mean Mister Mustard
England should have won that one. Their squad is not going to live up to the hype (again) if they keep fumbling like this. On the other hand, neither Algeria nor Slovenia showed anything special so at this point it would appear that the US and England should qualify. Then again, you never know.

No one seems to be talking about Group A here but I think people are underestimating South Africa. France lived up to their expectations (low ones) and Urugay looked stale.
Fitz
Halftime of Australia vs Germany, and Germany is up 2-0, lol. Australia don't look bad, but Germany look way too classy. They break through our defence easily.
Maxy
It was already looking an impossible task being 2-0 down at half time but the sending off, which was harsh, just ruined it totally for the aussies. The bloody Germans are having it easy now. 4-0.
PR316
I guess we can say that there are 4 favorites to win this......

Spain
Brazil
Argentina
Germany

Now of course we all know that just because your a favorite does not mean that your going to win. We've seen it all before. And in these international tournaments you do need alot of luck, as I've said before. Its really all about hitting your form at the right moment to where your just clicking like clock work.

I thought Argentina looked good but just couldn't finish their chances when they had them. For me their weakness is not having a midfielder that can keep possession, manage the game, and pick out those diagonal runs with those quick laser passes. They rely alot on Messi, Di Maria, and Higuian to make things happen and their backs to push up. But because of the Messi factor, you have to give them a shot.

Germany run like a well oiled machine. They're efficient, clinical, and strong. What they lack is pace in the midfield and backline and thats why Spain were able to do them in at Euro 2008 with the quick passing and opening runs. But because of their experience and toughness plus skill, they'll go pretty far.

Brazil no longer play Joga Bonito. Under Dunga, they play efficient counter attacking football. Not quite like Italy where they just defend with 10 men in the box or something ridiculous like that. But they focus on defense, take the ball from you and break in an instant with Kaka, Robinho, and Fabiano leading the charge. They're not that exciting but its hard to find any real weakness within this squad. All things go to plan, they should finish first in their group and go all the way to the finals.

We all know about Spain. "Can they finally do it?" everyone asks. As far as talent goes, they're probably the best. Superior to everyone else. They have the best midfield, probably the best strikers, and a rock solid defense that is reliable. For me its all in their heads. Football like all other sports is about CONFIDENCE... For many years Spain had that "losers mentality" where it was almost like despite their great squads, everyone including them EXPECTED them to fail. Winning Euro 2008 supposedly has gotten them into a different mindframe. If thats the case, and all things do click, there should be no reason for them to NOT walk away from this victorious.

England to me have the talent to go far. Their defense is rock solid even without Ferdinand. Their midfield is strong and experienced. And with Wayne Rooney leading the line along with Hesky, you got pace, goal scoring, and workrate. I sense a lack of creativity and imagination at times but they created chances against the USA and we've seen them have their share of goal fests before. Maybe its similar to Spain years back in that maybe they EXPECT to lose, and eventually do. I'm thinking its a mental thing.

Italy.... Those damn defensive cowardly football playing roughnecks. They're old now. But the thing about them that especially pisses me off is how lucky they are. Like in 2006 when they won it. They were just too damn lucky. They can play like complete shit and get ouplayed the whole game, and then win either by taking it to penalties or some freak accident ugly goal. Their strategy revolves completely around keeping 10 men in their own box for 90 minutes and defend, defend, defend, kick balls away, kick balls up, fall down, wait for the medical team, and through it all...... THEY WIN.... Somehow someway they are succesfull with that style of play... Hoping this year somebody stomps them. I don't want to see them win this one, I'm sorry. I know MAXY, Fitz, and ATN would agree with me there. LOL..
lloyd mayflower
****BREAKING NEWS****

BP have announced that with immediate effect, Rob Green will become their new CEO, a BP spokesman said that Green was the obvious choice to lead them through current difficulties as Green is an expert on spillages, and helping the USA through hard times
Fitz
lol, I didn't see the game, but saw Spain lost 1-0. I know it's early, but will see if my dad is right. He has always told me that Spain won't win a world cup, he said they are like England. Always much promise but never deliver in the World Cup, though the Euro seemed like a good step in that direction for them.
Still early, I just don't like the fact that Chile have to play Spain in the 3rd game now. I was hoping Spain would win games 1 and 2, and then play a weak side against Chile in the last because they have already qualified. Looks like it won't be the case.
JD
My group of 4 totaled 1 goal...1...in the first set of matches.

Thank you, North Korea.
WindyCityP
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 17 2010, 01:51 AM) *
My group of 4 totaled 1 goal...1...in the first set of matches.

Thank you, North Korea.

JD shouldn't you be out there with all your trips to Africa or you don't go anymore?
PR316
So angry Spain lost. Very disappointed with their showing. Of course the fact that Switzerland parked the bus made me even angrier, defending with 10 men in the box. To me that just ruins the game for fans and makes the matches slow and boring.

Just gotta hope Spain get their act together for the next two games.
lloyd mayflower
PR, I know how frustrating that is, but for a team like Spain, thats what you have to deal with. And especially with the Barca contingent, who will be more used to it than most.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 17 2010, 01:38 AM) *
So angry Spain lost. Very disappointed with their showing. Of course the fact that Switzerland parked the bus made me even angrier, defending with 10 men in the box. To me that just ruins the game for fans and makes the matches slow and boring.

Just gotta hope Spain get their act together for the next two games.

What do you expect the Swiss to do? They are trying to win, not give you an erection.
PR316
^^^I'm not saying the Swizz didn't do the right thing by playing to their strength. But nonetheless its frustrating to watch. And its not just because its the Spanish. When the Italians did that in 2006 it was frustrating too, not to mention all the winging and diving. It just ruins the game IMO.
ROLL DEEP
Woah!

Mexico 2 France 0

Damn - missed the game. Only caught the last 15 mins. Saw the penalty and the rest after that. What were France doing? Idiots laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jun 17 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Woah!

Mexico 2 France 0

Damn - missed the game. Only caught the last 15 mins. Saw the penalty and the rest after that. What were France doing? Idiots laugh.gif

The French missed all their free kicks and showed very little motivation and drive in their attack.
rusty_trombone
The French played like a bunch of bitches, disorganized, selfish, and overall lackluster.
King Eugene
I must admit I've never been a huge Soccer/Football fan but I've been all into the world cup. Hell when I don't understand something I'd just post the question on Facebook and get about 3-4 replies instantly. I've learned what off sides was today laugh.gif Yea yea I know but give me a break. I thoroughly enjoyed watching South Korea take an ass whipping. Then buddy pulled a hat trick. Good shit.
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 18 2010, 04:20 PM) *
I must admit I've never been a huge Soccer/Football fan but I've been all into the world cup. Hell when I don't understand something I'd just post the question on Facebook and get about 3-4 replies instantly. I've learned what off sides was today laugh.gif Yea yea I know but give me a break. I thoroughly enjoyed watching South Korea take an ass whipping. Then buddy pulled a hat trick. Good shit.

The thing I love about soccer is that there is a resemblance to boxing IMO. It's one of the few sports where something can happen just out of no where. There is suspense and anticipation for the whole game, you can be on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes. I love AFL, but sports like that, basketball, NFL, tennis etc. You may know early on that a game is over.
Soccer and boxing, we can have one team/one fighter dominating the whole game, though it may still be a 0-0 draw, or even perhaps 1-0 for the team that is dominating. There is a split second of a lack of concentration, a crucial error and all of a sudden 3/4 of dominating that game counts for nothing. You have been knocked out cold, or you let a goal go by.
I find it that you need to be prepared for just about the whole game, because something can change in a split second. Like I said, in other sports, games can be over by the 1/4 way mark, players start to relax, afford to not be switched on.
I just find it similar to boxing in that way, where it's one of the few sports you can dominate in, and just in one second. All the hard work can count for nothing.
Maxy
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 02:39 AM) *
The thing I love about soccer is that there is a resemblance to boxing IMO. It's one of the few sports where something can happen just out of no where. There is suspense and anticipation for the whole game, you can be on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes. I love AFL, but sports like that, basketball, NFL, tennis etc. You may know early on that a game is over.
Soccer and boxing, we can have one team/one fighter dominating the whole game, though it may still be a 0-0 draw, or even perhaps 1-0 for the team that is dominating. There is a split second of a lack of concentration, a crucial error and all of a sudden 3/4 of dominating that game counts for nothing. You have been knocked out cold, or you let a goal go by.
I find it that you need to be prepared for just about the whole game, because something can change in a split second. Like I said, in other sports, games can be over by the 1/4 way mark, players start to relax, afford to not be switched on.
I just find it similar to boxing in that way, where it's one of the few sports you can dominate in, and just in one second. All the hard work can count for nothing.

Football, alongside boxing, are the only two sports that get my heart going ballistic. If it's a big game, like United-Liverpool or a crucial England match, I get completely pumped up just like I would for a big fight where I'm totally wanting such and such to win. Nothing beats that buzz and no other sport, imo, comes close to it.

This world cup hasn't hit the heights yet. It's been great seeing the big guns like Spain, France and Germany lose already. In hindsight England weren't so bad against the USA. Tonight I reckon we'll get 2 or 3 past Algeria and cruise to a comfortable win.....

Argentina look the best team so far but I was well impressed with Mexico even though the French side just don't appear interested for some strange reason. Brazil didn't look all that great against North Korea either.

Right now USA are a goal down to Slovenia but this game is still wide open. I'm hoping for a draw in this one, followed by a win over Algeria for us.

Damn, Slovenia have just scored on the counter to go 2-0 up against the USA...
JD
I am not one to gripe about refs...but we got HOSED.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 18 2010, 11:53 AM) *
I am not one to gripe about refs...but we got HOSED.

What was the supposed foul?

Anyway I wouldn't be too worried for the U.S. They should go on to beat Algeria while Slovenia will probably lose to England.
Spyder
No shit we got hosed. A yellow card for getting hit in the face with the ball, and a fake offsides call to clear the go ahead goal...the ref is either incompetent or crooked.
JD
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 18 2010, 12:08 PM) *
What was the supposed foul?

Anyway I wouldn't be too worried for the U.S. They should go on to beat Algeria while Slovenia will probably lose to England.

Agreed...but that offside call at the end was ridiculous.
JD
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 18 2010, 12:16 PM) *
No shit we got hosed. A yellow card for getting hit in the face with the ball, and a fake offsides call to clear the go ahead goal...the ref is either incompetent or crooked.

The dude from Mali had me screaming at the TV...which is not really conducive to a productive corporate work environment.
Spyder
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 18 2010, 12:22 PM) *
The dude from Mali had me screaming at the TV...which is not really conducive to a productive corporate work environment.

We were huddled around the TV at work screaming too...it's a rare occassion that I want to punch someone in the face that badly.
ROLL DEEP
I saw the disallowed goal on TV but had no sound - why did they disallow is for?

I saw the Slovenia players holding the US players around the waist...but didn't see anything illegal the US players were doing? What was the call?
JD
He called Edu offside.
JD
Strike that...the story is now that he called a foul on Bocanegra.
Spyder
Where did you read that?

The last I read, there was no explaination.
lloyd mayflower
I tell you what lads, England are FUCKING BRUTAL!

I'll tell you another thing, I meant to mention this after the USA game but forgot. If you ever wondered why the whole world loves to see England lose, just have a listen to the commentators, pundits and press alike! Maxy, Roll, not sure if you guys notice it since youv got other things on your mind, but those two pricks on ITV tonight really outdid themselves. Now Capello is a clown? And what about even just a mention for Algeria, who lets not forget, were the better team, faster, more athletic, more desire, more compusure etc.

That England team have literally no ideas, Rooney is clearly unfit, Glen Johnson will be brutally exposed by any half decent winger, and with Carragher out next game, I wouldnt be surprised to see yet another uninspired draw or even a loss against Slovenia.
rusty_trombone
So, America is still in it's own drivers seat with a horrible showing by England. They are just a complete disorganized mess, not to mention they can't win crucial 1-1 battles for the ball. I didn't like Italy's chances coming into this, but with the way things ar going, I like them more and more.
Maxy
The worst England performance I have ever seen....bar none. That was absolutely horrific from a a load of overpaid useless tossers. Lloyd pointed out that Algeria (yeah give em credit and all that but fuck me we should be beating the likes of them), were faster and more athletic than our shower of shit. How could that be possible? I mean, seriously, the Premier league is the fastest league in the world but our players looked to me like they were running in quick sand. We can't pass the ball, we don't have a midfield, our front two are fuckin woeful and our defence is as slow as fuck. I was shocked to be honest. Shocked at how fuckin disgraceful they were last night. Still shaking my head now. Can't believe it. We might as well go home now cos we aint got a hope in hell. Oh, and I don't blame Capello, the players are shit, that's all.
Maxy
Cheers Fitz, I think we need all the luck we can get.

As for Rooney, he opens his mouth too soon. He's an emotional hot head and he's his own worst critic. I mean, last night he was awful. His first touch, usually so good, just wasn't there and his overall involvement in the game was sporadic at best. His comment to the camera has enraged fans over here. Some are saying he should never play for England again but he's our best player in my eyes, even though he was atrocious yesterday. Maybe he's still not right after the ankle injury, I really don't know. We were crying out for something a bit different last night, somebody with a bit of spark. Joe Cole would have been ideal but Capello seemed as if he wanted to stick with his formation even though the world and its mother could tell things were not working.

The team, and Rooney especially, are being slaughtered this morning on TV, the radio and newspapers. I must have got 30 odd texts last night from mates venting their anger at such a diabolical display. As you said, we DID genuinely believe we could go quite far this time. It wasn't the usual blind optimism either. We had performed very well in the qualifiers and at last looked like a team. Capello had got the best out of Rooney and everything was sweet. Now, 2 games into the tournament, our fate hanging on a must win match against Slovenia, we appear to be clueless. People are asking if the pressure has got to them but surely it's more than that? We look like a pedestrian team unable to gel and with absolutely no fluidity in our game. We can't pass the ball.....oh mate, it's just a nightmare. I've got no confidence in the next game now. None.
lloyd mayflower
Pedestrian is the word Maxy. I personally think the pressure, heaped on by the media EVERY time, coupled with the fact that most of these guys are overpaid prima donnas is whats to blame. The work rate just isnt there. The Algerians, to a man, bust a gut all night. And another thing, WHAT THE FUCK is Emile Heskey doing in a side that thinks it can win the world cup???

Also, if the fans who spend a fortune to travel halfway round the world for 1 game of football to a dangerous country want to vent their anger at a team who played like they couldnt be arsed, then that is their right. I know id be pissed at that lack of effort were it Scotland playing lasnight. I can take a loss, or a disappointing draw, as long as I know we tried. But to play like that is unacceptable
SENTRAL
The english didnt look bothered bit like the french the other day. USA might lack the skills but we make up for it with passion and its an honor to represent your country. Maybe the english, well all the europeans think they are better than they actually are? Their fans and players need to get their heads out theit asses.
lloyd mayflower
The French have issues with their coach and have had since day one. Their performance here is the culmination of years of bad blood. The english do think they are better than they really are, but they do have plenty world class players. Think your particular brand of euro bashing is probably misplaced here tho Sentral as there is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that the eventual winners are either goin to be Brazil or Argentina, or one of the European teams. (Just not England biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif )
Maxy
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jun 19 2010, 06:15 AM) *
The english didnt look bothered bit like the french the other day. USA might lack the skills but we make up for it with passion and its an honor to represent your country. Maybe the english, well all the europeans think they are better than they actually are? Their fans and players need to get their heads out theit asses.

The signs were already there when we failed to beat your mob. I don't doubt England's pride and passion but last night has left me bemused.
D-MARV
LET"S GO GHANA!!!!!!!!!!
Maxy
I thought Australia were unlucky, going down to 10 men again so early in the game always left them facing an uphill task. They did well to take the point and credit to them for that but they have to win their last game and hope its enough to take them through now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.