Chile

16/06 13:30 Nelspruit Honduras vs Chile
16/06 16:00 Durban Spain vs Switzerland
21/06 16:00 Nelson Mandela Bay/Port Elizabeth Chile vs Switzerland
21/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JEP Spain vs Honduras
25/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria Chile vs Spain
25/06 20:30 Mangaung / Bloemfontein Switzerland vs Honduras
JD
Every time I look at group G, I can't help but laugh at North Korea.
lloyd mayflower
Yep, North Korea are going to get a sore time of it over there. I cant fuckin wait till this kicks off. A summer feast of football! 4 years, its been far too long! No Scotland there(again) tho, so will just have to pick a team to root for. And of course there is the obligatory root for whoever England are playing against.
Maxy
Can't wait for the start of this. I should probably be shot but I happen to believe we have a good chance this year. We've not got the best players individually but as a team and with the tactical nous of Capello I'm expecting good things.
lloyd mayflower
Capello alone puts you automatically in with a better shout but I just dont think the quality is there to mix it with the Spain's, Brazils, Argies etc. I also dont think Rooney has been able to recover fully from either his groin or ankle injuries and I think that will show. A Rooneyless England will be a lot like a Rooneyless Utd.

Got to feel sorry for Michael Ballack. Cant see the Gerries getting too far without Captain Efficiency. He is their talisman no doubt.
PR316
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 20 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Can't wait for the start of this. I should probably be shot but I happen to believe we have a good chance this year. We've not got the best players individually but as a team and with the tactical nous of Capello I'm expecting good things.

You guys are gonna be tough.

For me, key players are of course Rooney, Gerrard, plus Ferdinand and John Terry. Very curious to see how much time Heskey will get.

Could turn out to be the biggest threat to Spain along with Brazil and Argentina IMO.
JD
Frank Lampard is my dude.

That said...USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!!!!!!
PR316
I'll lay it out. OFFICIAL PREDICTIONS...

Group Winners

A- Uruguay and France

B- Argentina and Nigeria

C- England and USA

D- Germany and Ghana

E- Holland and Cameroon

F- Italy and Paraguay

G- This one's too tough.... I go back and forth on it. Fuck it. Brazil and Ivory Coast

H- Spain and Chile

Knockout Round

Group A winner vs Group B Runner up - Uruguay vs Nigeria- Uruguay in a close one.

Group C winner vs Group D Runner Up- England vs Ghana- England will win this comfortably.

Group E winner vs Group F Runner Up- Holland vs Paraguay- Holland will survive a scare to pull this off.

Group G winner vs Group H Runner Up- Brazil vs Chile- Provided Brazil keep it together, they should win this with little problem.

Group B Winner vs Group A Runner Up- Argentina vs France- Argentina are inconsistent but turn it up when needed. France is too old I think.

Group D Winner vs Group C Runner Up- Germany vs USA- This one has upset potential, but I'll go with Germany to win it ugly.

Group F Winner vs Group E Runner Up- Italy vs Cameroon- Upset. Italy's squad is too old and slow. Younger, fresher Cameroon will take this one.

Group H Winner vs Group G Runner Up- Spain vs Ivory Coast- Spain will have too many weapons on an open style playing Ivory Coast.

Quarters-

England vs Uruguay- England will be too strong I think. Uruguay are live but England's strength in defense and midfield and speedy attackers like Walcott and Rooney will be more than enough.

Holland vs Brazil- Great match. Back and forth I expect this one to be but Brazil are a bit tougher and they'll exploit Holland's suspect backline.

Argentina vs Germany- Rematch of 2006 World Cup. Could go either way honestly. I'm gonna say Argentina on penalties.

Spain vs Cameroon- Potentially the most exciting quarterfinal. I think Spain on the counter attack will send Cameroon home packing.

Semis-

England vs Brazil- Will be very tight and physical. Look for Brazil to edge it out by 1 goal.

Spain vs Argentina- Awesome semi final battle with two very similar teams. Spain however have the superior midfield and Argentina's defense is a little suspect along with their goal keeper. Spain by 2 goals.

Final-

Spain vs Brazil- Everybody's dream final. And I think it will happen. I'm predicting Spain on penalties to win it all.

3rd Place- Argentina vs England- England by 1 goal.

World Cup Champions- Spain

Player of the tournament- Xavi

Top Goal Scorer- David Villa

Lets see if this actually happens, now. LOL...

rusty_trombone
Why exactly did Maradona leave Cambiasso off of his squad? That guy is playing top flight football, and is one of the best midfielders in the world. what a dick.
Spyder
What happened to Freddie Adu? Over-18 poontang?
lloyd mayflower
It was discovered that hyping up a player at 14 years old rarely works
STEVENSKI
Personally I don't expect much from Australia but am relishing England choking again. Seriously England are the worst "best" team in history. Promise so much deliver so little.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 22 2010, 12:58 AM) *
Personally I don't expect much from Australia but am relishing England choking again. Seriously England are the worst "best" team in history. Promise so much deliver so little.

Socceroos!
BigG
PR316
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (BigG @ May 22 2010, 11:17 PM) *

this is a real cool commercial g
PR316
The Barcelona contingent of the Spanish national team

PR316
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 20 2010, 10:58 AM) *

Not trying to look too much ahead MAXY, but if and when Ferguson steps down from Man United, what are the chances he takes on the job of England manager??...

I've heard it in some circles off and on and I'm not sure what Ferguson himself has said.

But I guess it would make sense if that happened.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (PR316 @ May 27 2010, 05:41 PM) *
Not trying to look too much ahead MAXY, but if and when Ferguson steps down from Man United, what are the chances he takes on the job of England manager??...

I've heard it in some circles off and on and I'm not sure what Ferguson himself has said.

But I guess it would make sense if that happened.

Dont know if Maxy would know any different bein a Man U fan. But id be prepared to bet that Fergie wouldnt do it. He'll always wish England luck etc before a tournament since he always has managed plenty of their top players, but I seriously doubt he would manage them. I think hes pretty patriotic. Mind you, he has been down there a LONG time. If hes looking for a part timer after retirement, the tartan army would roll the red carpet out from Hampden all the way to Manchester to get him on board.
Maxy
Fergie manage England? Absolutely no chance. I think we are now entering his last season as a manager in football and it'll be a sad day when he leaves. I hate thinking about how the team will do post Ferguson but I know that day is just around the corner.

As Lloyd said, Ferguson is extremely patriotic. No amount of money would ever get him to manage the English.
lloyd mayflower
I agree. His legacy has nothing left to gain. He basically forged the worlds most successful club up from a club on its knees. He of all people deserves his retirement. I think he'll probably feel the same. I think the hunger will go after leaving. I'v always had a soft spot for United but worry about what will happen to them once Fergie goes. Whoever comes in is going to have to bend over for the Glazers constantly. That shower of leeching cunts is probably dying for Fergie to throw it in cos he's absolutely untouchable and they want a yes man.
PR316
Ferguson never really speaks of retirement. He sort of takes the "lets wait and see" approach as an answer whenever it seems to come up of how much longer does he want to continue. I think when he's gone, the EPL will definitely miss him. He's such an integral part to not just United but the league in general.

I believe Fabio Capello is going to retire after the World Cup. So its curious to see whom will succeed him.

Seems that Real Madrid has hit a snag trying to sign Mourinho because Jose has not yet been able to break contract ties with Inter.

Word is Cesc Fabregas wants out and he wants to follow David Villa to Barcelona. Cesc has been pretty vocal this off season much to my surprise. Usually he's the first to commit to the Arsenal cause and say "I'm staying no matter what." But this time he's really flirted with Barca alot and has basically been inviting them to make them move, not to mentioned the rumored meeting he had with Arsene Wenger in which he supposedly told him that he wants out.

This Summer is gonna be eventful.

lloyd mayflower
Yep, between the World Cup and all the movement that follows one, it should be good. I for one cant wait. My Saturdays are quickly becoming pointless and boring. I NEED football soon!!!! Close season is particularly bad for my liver!
PR316
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 27 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Yep, between the World Cup and all the movement that follows one, it should be good. I for one cant wait. My Saturdays are quickly becoming pointless and boring. I NEED football soon!!!! Close season is particularly bad for my liver!

LOL!!!!.... Me too!!!
Maxy
Yeah just counting the days down until the world cup starts. Can't wait, even though I have a deep down sinking feeling of reality that as far as England are concerned it will all end as it always does....in frustrating disappointment.

Fabregas has finally realised that now is the time to move on, or in his case, move back to his beloved Barca. No surprise there really. It has always been on the cards and even the most staunch die hard Arsenal fans have accepted that.

Barca will be stronger next year with Fab and Villa adding to their already illustrious squad. Mourinho will sign for Madrid, no doubt about it. How will he set his side up though. There is no way the Madrid fans will accept the sort of football he played to beat Barca in the semi's, no way. They demand entertainment and it'll be interesting to see how he puts his teams out to play the game.

United are in a major debt crisis. I'm not worried too much yet because we still have the manager and the players to achieve good things. However, if it turns out we don't have the funds to strengthen the squad I'll take it on the chin. I've been spoiled for years but I still remember the days when things weren't so great so I'm ready for the slump.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 27 2010, 07:19 PM) *
Yeah just counting the days down until the world cup starts. Can't wait, even though I have a deep down sinking feeling of reality that as far as England are concerned it will all end as it always does....in frustrating disappointment.

Fabregas has finally realised that now is the time to move on, or in his case, move back to his beloved Barca. No surprise there really. It has always been on the cards and even the most staunch die hard Arsenal fans have accepted that.

Barca will be stronger next year with Fab and Villa adding to their already illustrious squad. Mourinho will sign for Madrid, no doubt about it. How will he set his side up though. There is no way the Madrid fans will accept the sort of football he played to beat Barca in the semi's, no way. They demand entertainment and it'll be interesting to see how he puts his teams out to play the game.

United are in a major debt crisis. I'm not worried too much yet because we still have the manager and the players to achieve good things. However, if it turns out we don't have the funds to strengthen the squad I'll take it on the chin. I've been spoiled for years but I still remember the days when things weren't so great so I'm ready for the slump.

Dont think I could accept those debt problems so lightly. Its fuckin immoral buying something with borrowed money, then saddling them with the debt. Man U's debt isnt Man U's, its that hairy faced wanker Glazers. Thats shit should be illegal
PR316
I always thought you guys would find a way to control your debts. I had heard rumors that United were going to consider making a move for David Silva so I then figured even more ok these guys have some funds to work with.

Chelsea have alot of money so they can strengthen but as of yet I've seen no immediate moves from them. Liverpool have a huge debt and thats gonna be hard for them to get through and then Arsenal have some money to spend but there's a serious question of ambition at that club right now as we speak.

Maybe thats a huge reason in why Fabregas is trying to return home. Arsenal fans are frustrated and rightfully so. Wenger appears happy with the squad he has and he only wants to add a GK and CB. Cesc has to know that is not nearly enough to compete with Man United and Chelsea and he's probably fed up with having to carry mental midgets like Diaby and Denilson. Fabregas is as loyal to AW as any player has ever been and so when you see the likes of Cesc throwing the towel on Arsene Wenger, its a clear sign of the lack of ambition that the club is retaining. Such a shame too because Arsenal are an absolute joy to watch play on their day. And Cesc is their centerpiece. Without him, they're gonna be lost at sea.

Barca are going to have an UNBELIEVABLE team next year. Its just gonna be out of sight. I don't know how Madrid even with the Special One are going to be able to stop them. Those fukers are gonna have a PERFECT team. Guardiola now has almost all the players that he wants. He begged for Villa last summer, has got him now, and he's been asking about Cesc for quite some time now, and I'm willing to bet thats the reason that Yaya Toure is looking for a way out of Barcelona.

Its gonna take one of Chelsea or Man United to stop Barcelona next season I'm afraid.
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 27 2010, 02:32 PM) *
Dont think I could accept those debt problems so lightly. Its fuckin immoral buying something with borrowed money, then saddling them with the debt. Man U's debt isnt Man U's, its that hairy faced wanker Glazers. Thats shit should be illegal

Oh don't for a minute think I've accepted the debts. I'm Green and Gold til the club is sold all the way. I'm just taking the position of a worst case scenario because I've always been a pessimist.
Maxy
Yeah PR316, Barca, on paper, are going to be even better but that doesn't mean they will run away with everything. Fabregas is hoping to leave for them because it's his home town club and all that but I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of ambition on Arsenal's part. Honestly, I just feel that Wenger has had his hands tied when it comes to finances so he hasn't been able to invest in the team in the way he would like.

I'll take delight in Liverpool's continued demise if we can't compete for the top players anymore (for the time being). It does take the pain away. I mean that.
PR316
True. Its only on paper. But the rest of La Liga unfortunately has really been left behind and the gap is just getting bigger and bigger. We'll have to see. I hope the likes of Valencia, Sevilla, Villareal, etc. make it interesting at least.

But as far as the World Cup goes, whom do you guys say are the players to watch??... Whom are your potential candidates for the top scorer and the player of the tournament?
lloyd mayflower
If I was goin to have a bet on top scorer, I think i'd maybe go with David Villa. Maybe Argentinas strikers could be in with a shout. Thay have some quality up top with Milito in fine form, Aguero, Higuain and Tevez. Thats a formidable front line. Miroslav Klose generally is a good tournament goalscorer.
I also think based on being in the same qualifying group as the Dutch and seein them firsthand dismantle us in Amsterdam that they will score goals so id say Van Persie and Robben could get their fair share.

Player of the tournament, well thats a bit more of a difficult one. Always surprise packeges come up. If I have to go on record for one, since I think Brazil will win the cup, i'm going to say Felipe Melo.
JD
I got my teams for my pool.

Everyone gets a 1, 2, 3 and 4 from random groups. All groups have the teams ranked 1 - 4...

I have Spain, Cameroon, Ivory Coast and North Korea. I like my foursome.
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 4 2010, 02:12 AM) *
I got my teams for my pool.

Everyone gets a 1, 2, 3 and 4 from random groups. All groups have the teams ranked 1 - 4...

I have Spain, Cameroon, Ivory Coast and North Korea. I like my foursome.

Wait, what's this for? Like some competition?
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 3 2010, 07:40 PM) *
Wait, what's this for? Like some competition?

It's an 8 man pool I am in.

All the 1's are drawn...all the 2's...3's...etc. Every group has each team ranked 1 - 4, and everyone gets a 1, 2, 3 and a 4.

It's a good time. The guy with the World Cup winner gets half the pot, the guy whose group scores the most total goals gets the other half...last time it was points, but this time it is goals to make the 4 seeds have some value.
rusty_trombone
I think if the Dutch are gonna surprise some folks at this cup. They will probably have a big game against Brazil in a KO stage, but I think if they can get past them, they have a good chance.
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 4 2010, 12:45 PM) *
It's an 8 man pool I am in.

All the 1's are drawn...all the 2's...3's...etc. Every group has each team ranked 1 - 4, and everyone gets a 1, 2, 3 and a 4.

It's a good time. The guy with the World Cup winner gets half the pot, the guy whose group scores the most total goals gets the other half...last time it was points, but this time it is goals to make the 4 seeds have some value.

Nice. Sounds like a good competition. Good luck.
JD
Didier Drogba breaks his arm during a warmup today?!!? UGH!
PR316
Pirlo is also injured and the odds of him playing the World Cup are said to be very small.

Rio Ferdinand as well is probably out.. HUGE blow for England there.
Snoop
World Cup's Greatest Actors
JD
Fitz
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/article?contentId=1942504

Top 10 Bearded World Cup Players Of All Time

With South Africa 2010 less than three weeks away, Carlo Garganese runs down a list of 10 of the most famous World Cup beards over the years.
By Carlo Garganese
May 25, 2010 1:30:00 PM
Please note the below players are ranked on the quality of their beard.

10) Roger Milla (Cameroon) - 1982

The African legend is best remembered for his exploits at Italia '90 when he stunned the world at the ripe old age of 38 by scoring four goals and leading Cameroon to the quarter finals. Less well known is that at the 1982 World Cup in Spain, Milla sported a thick beard as The Indomitable Lions unfortunately bowed out unbeaten in the first round after three straight draws against Peru, Poland and eventual champions Italy.

9) Trifon Ivanov (Bulgaria) - 1994

There are many scary-looking people in this list, but few scarier than former Bulgarian international Ivanov. Nicknamed ‘The Bulgarian Wolf’ due to his long beard and ridiculous graying mullet, Ivanov singlehandedly took 'The Lions' to the semi-final of USA ’94 by frightening every opponent into submission. Few could have believed that Little Red Riding Hood's nemesis was only 28 at the time.

8) Rogelio Delgado (Paraguay) - 1986

I must confess that I haven't seen much footage of Delgado the footballer, but judging on the way he looked attackers must have wet themselves when facing the Paraguayan defender.

Built like a bull, with mean-looking eyes that could stare Medusa into stone, it was Delgado's forest-like beard that was scariest of all. Unlikely that the ex-stopper is a vegetarian.

7) Rino Gattuso (Italy) - 2006

Many of the iconic images from the 2006 World Cup involved Italian players. You had Zinedine Zidane's headbutt on Marco Materazzi, Fabio Grosso's Germanic scream and, of course, Rino Gattuso's hilarious neck-push/slap on coach Marcello Lippi after Italy scored to go two-up against the Czech Republic.

What made this moment so striking was Gattuso's trademark beard. During his prime, there was not a more feared hardman midfielder on the globe than the pitbull 'Ringhio'.

6) Sergio Batista (Argentina) - 1990

Batista is like Benjamin Button - he ages backwards. Now coach of Argentina Under-20s, a clean-shaven 47-year-old Batista could probably pass as someone 10 years his junior. However, at the 1986 and 1990 World Cups, Batista was more likely to be mistaken for a retired revolutionary in a Che Guevara Marxist group, with his six inch beard.

5) Paul Breitner (West Germany) 1974, 1982

Football's most famous communist, who showed his dedication to the left-wing with an unforgettable revolutionarly-style beard. But his politics were eventually questioned when he agreed to clean shave for a German cosmetics advert.

On the football pitch, there was nothing edgy about the ex-Bayern Munich and Real Madrid star. Breitner possessed brilliant versatility that enabled him to excel both at full back and in midfield. He packed a bullet of a right foot, and scored many important goals during his career - including strikes in both the 1974 and 1982 World Cup final.

4) Socrates (Brazil) - 1982, 1986

A star performer in Brazil's brilliant 1982 side, Socrates puffed his way through two packs of cigarettes a day and continued to light up after quitting the game. Now a medical doctor and member of the Workers' Party, he suggested in a masters thesis that football should be reduced to nine a side to improve skill levels.

But the elegant midfielder, whose favorite move was the backheel, paints an unforgettable image of 1980s international football due to his outstanding beard. His resemblance to Jesus Christ was uncanny, in looks anyway.

3) Leonardo Cuellar (Mexico) - 1978

One of those people who you would either describe as ultra-cool, or in need of a good shave, haircut and wash - depending on your viewpoint. Cuellar was a talented midfielder for Mexico at the 1978 World Cup, but it was his gigantic Carlos Valderrama-style afro-head, coupled with an outrageous Professor-beard, that got everyone talking.

Cuellar looked like the kind of guy who spent his summer afternoons lounging in his apartment overlooking the beach while smoking a spliff. Come to think of it, why do I keep getting 'Scarface' flashbacks when I look at Cuellar's picture? Say no more.

2) Alexi Lalas (United States) - 1994

Goal.com's former American site director Greg Lalas - whose MLS career famously consisted of five games played, 100 minutes, one shot on goal, and one red card (sorry Greg, but I couldn't resist!) - has a pretty impressive beard.

But, he doesn't come even close to matching the facial hair of his older brother Alexi from the 1994 World Cup. The iconic United States center back lit up the tournament in his own country with his extravagant long hair and bright bushy beard.

1) Peter Disztl (Hungary) - 1986

Hungary's goalkeeper at Mexico '86 had been seen a few years earlier playing Chewbacca in the Star Wars movies. His messy hair was complemented by a half gray/black beard which terrified kids and, let's face it, grown men everywhere. How the Soviets had the courage to put six past him and stay alive is one of the World Cup's more enduring mysteries.

Quite simply the scariest footballer of all time. Parents all over the world, if your kids won't go to bed - tell them that Peter Disztl will come and get them!

The 2010 World Cup is fast approaching, so keep up to date with all the news at Goal.com's World Cup homepage and join Goal.com USA's Facebook fan page!
lloyd mayflower
Arjen Robben the latest big name casualty with a suspected hamstring injury. The dutch will sorely miss him if he cant play.
Maxy
Yeah big blow for the Dutch, as is Ferdinand missing out for us. As long as we can beat the USA in the opening game I'm certain we'll do pretty well. Slip up in that game though and the draw might not be so favourable.
lloyd mayflower
I sat and done a world cup competition at my work last night to pick the group winners, runners up etc and work it right through. I had Brazil beating Spain in the final. Maxy I had you lot getting beat by France at the QF but the more I think about it the more im not convinced. Im not convinced France beat England, but im also not convinced England or France even get that far! I am 100% that your not getting any further than the semi's and getting there will be tough!

I dont think it would be a bad bet to have England v USA a draw. Algeria and Slovenia are easy meat tho, and England will outscore the USA against them so I still have you top of the group
Maxy
Sad thing is, if we play anything like we did against Mexico and Japan, the USA will beat us. That would be a disaster. I keep picturing some gobby American defender giving Rooney the verbal all match until Wayne snaps, lays him out and gets a ban from the remainder of the tournament. Fuck I'm such a pessimist.

laugh.gif
PR316
None of the big teams are looking all that good in their friendlies. All of Spain, Italy, England, Brazil, Argentina, have all looked ok. Nothing more...

With these tournaments, its all about WHEN you hit your peak. You want to hit form at the right time.

You also need alot of luck.
lloyd mayflower
I say Villa will get their goals. Altho if they decide to go one up top he is probably the man most likely to drop to the bench (assuming Torres is fully fit)

Any of the Argies top strikers wont be a bad shout. Not sure who they will start with. Probably Higuain and Aguero. Higuain not a bad bet.

Luis Fabiano of Brazil wouldnt be a bad bet either as I expect them to go all the way
PR316
For Spain, of course you start with the two men leading the line Villa and Torres. Though El Niño is still working to get back to 100% fitness, he's important because his speed and strength command double teams and leaves Villa free to exploit the open spaces with his quick diagonal runs.

I'd place bets on Villa being the top scorer if I had to make a bet.
ROLL DEEP
England VS America later today!

WOOOOO!!!

I'll be gutted if we start off on a defeat to you lot laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
I dont want to jinx it for you lot ROLL, (really honestly biggrin.gif ) but iv picked my coupon for today and its got England USA as a draw. Think you may struggle to break them down. Still think you will top the group by virtue of easily outscoring the US. I kinda hope so cos theres somethin just a little bit sweeter about watchin the inevitable penalty meltdown!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.