Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Alphabet Strikes Again...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
By Hilmar Rojas

The WBA has stripped Shane Mosley of the their welterweight title. Mosley was recognized as the WBA's "super" welterweight champion. Vyacheslav Senchenko (30-0, 20KOs) of Ukraine was the WBA's "regular" champion at the weight and will now be recognized as the full title-holder at 147-pounds. Senchenko defends his title against Charlie Jose Navarro on August 30 in Ukraine.

The WBA stripped Mosley because they never agreed on the terms for his May 1 bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr., who refused to pay the sanctioning fees to fight for Mosley's WBA title. Mosley went forward without reaching a deal with the WBA and was dominated in a twelve round decision loss. The WBA sent Mosley a letter wishing him luck in the future and they hope he can fight for one of their titles down the line.

So let me get this right...

They strip Mosley from his belt because Mosley's opponent didn't want to pay the stupid fee????

That's B.S.
Romulus9
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 21 2010, 09:27 PM) *

They strip Mosley from his belt because Mosley's opponent didn't want to pay the stupid fee????

That's B.S.

I expect nothing less from these clowns.
STEVENSKI
Aah fuck Mosley. He lost in the ring so he should not keep the title. Fuck him fuck the WBA & fuck Floyd.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 21 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Aah fuck Mosley. He lost in the ring so he should not keep the title. Fuck him fuck the WBA & fuck Floyd.

LOL... Hater!
leonthegee
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 21 2010, 05:41 PM) *

hahahahaha whos your champ down under? u still riding that bitch mannys nuts? hopefully your husband will man up and get in the ring this time.
thehype
Who cares? Shane Mosley don't need a belt! And besides...like Stevenski said...he lost the fight....the WBA should just GIVE Floyd the belt...no sanctioning fees necessary. LOL.
Hops
QUOTE (leonthegee @ May 22 2010, 03:20 AM) *
hahahahaha whos your champ down under? u still riding that bitch mannys nuts? hopefully your husband will man up and get in the ring this time.

Not gonna happen for STEVENSKI. Floyd will move the goalpost.
Hops
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 22 2010, 02:27 AM) *

That's B.S.

It's not B.S.

Mosley knew beforehand that Floyd's not gonna pay the sanctioning fees. And Mosley fought him anyway instead of fighting the next one in line.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 21 2010, 09:41 PM) *

I expect nothing less! This is the Stevenski I'm use too.

Shane lost, if he want his title back go fight the cat they gave it to.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 21 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Ahhh......co-sign.
STEVENSKI
It's not that I hate Shane or anything but he lost in the ring at 147 & he was not defending his belt so therefore he should be stripped & the belt declared vacant with the two top contenders fighting for the right to wear it. In a perfect world of course.....
Jack 1000
QUOTE (thehype @ May 21 2010, 09:28 PM) *
Who cares? Shane Mosley don't need a belt! And besides...like Stevenski said...he lost the fight....the WBA should just GIVE Floyd the belt...no sanctioning fees necessary. LOL.

Cosign!

There would be more upset if Shane had beaten Floyd. But he decided to just go through the motions after that great 2nd round, so it becomes a moot point.

Jack
Hops
Yeah! The WBA awarded the belt to Floyd for an infinitely small duration and then stripped him of it because he didn't want to pay the fees. The title is now vacant. And Mosley has to fight someone else to get it.
Lil-lightsout
As huge fan of Mosley, I don't think he should have the belt either. He lost in the ring and is undeserving of it now. The way he fought, I certainly don't consider him champ. He needs to try and work his way back to the top now.
mexi-cutioner
that's pathetic, fuck the sanctioning bodies. We should do like the UFC and have ONE world title (and interim title) in each division that would make things more exciting
Keith
Mosley won the belt and "defended" it one time 16 months later in a fight where he was completely outclassed. There is absolutely no reason he should still have the belt.
neophyte7
Mosley if he wants the belt has to man up and KO the guy they have designated the full 147 pound champ. Does he still have it in him? Or he should campaign for the winner of Cotto Foreman. He can KO both of those guys... Cotto is degenerated physically. Foreman has pillow fists...
JD
Molsley fought once in 16 months and lost.

He should be stripped.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 22 2010, 03:36 AM) *
that's pathetic, fuck the sanctioning bodies. We should do like the UFC and have ONE world title (and interim title) in each division that would make things more exciting

The UFC is not the only MMA organization in the world, Mexi-Cutioner. They do not own that industry. Maybe you've heard of Alistair Oveream or TPR (The Pudgy Russian)?
Snoop
Alphabets usually don't make sense, but it made even less sense when Judah got to keep the IBF belt after losing to Baldomir. Didn't make sense then and wouldn't make sense now IMO.
leonthegee
shane should be stripped but the title should be vacant. dont strip him and give to some bum that nobodies heard of.
JLUVBABY
how can any of you think shane should hold on to a belt after getting beat like he did?... fact of the matter is he is not the best of the division and doest deserve the belt. this no name that got elevated to full champ status will either be found to be the paper champion he is or a good fighter... how many people had heard of felix trinidad before he fought maurice blocker? i hadnt... just saying shane dont deserve that belt... at least the no name that has the belt actually beat someone to earn his spot...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 07:18 PM) *
how can any of you think shane should hold on to a belt after getting beat like he did?... fact of the matter is he is not the best of the division and doest deserve the belt. this no name that got elevated to full champ status will either be found to be the paper champion he is or a good fighter... how many people had heard of felix trinidad before he fought maurice blocker? i hadnt... just saying shane dont deserve that belt... at least the no name that has the belt actually beat someone to earn his spot...

I'm not sure anyone does think that Shane should keep his belt.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 22 2010, 06:24 PM) *

i read a few early post that seem to scream of outrage... lol...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 06:33 PM) *
i read a few early post that seem to scream of outrage... lol...

I think I read 2 where they said it was B.S. hardly what I'd call outrage laugh.gif

If Shane wants his title back he can go fight for it. Titles are beginning to mean less and less. Think of a few of the megafights in the past few years and can anyone actually remember what title the fighters were fighting for?

PBF/DLH, DLH/Pac, PBF/Mosley. Maybe there were titles on the line in some of those fights (I can't actually remember) all I know is that it was the fight itself that had me pumped.

Even fights the tier below like Hopkins whooping up Pavlik was there a title on the line there? Sanctioning bodies only have themselves to blame for the mess they have created. I have little or zero sympathy for them.

Nowadays it's not whether you've got a strap or not that counts. It's how many 24/7's you've had in your career laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 22 2010, 07:24 PM) *

Yeah, pretty much everyone agrees he does not deserve it.
Byrd Man
I'm a fan of Shane's and I despise the alphabets, but there's no reason why Shane should NOT lose the belt. He doesn't keep the belt just because Floyd didn't wanna pay for the sanctioning fees. If he loses the fight, then he is no longer the champion, and thus does not have the belt.

I suppose it boils down to whether or not the belt was on the line in the fight, due to Floyd not paying the sanctioning fees. If he didn't wanna pay the fees, then does that make the fight automatically just another fight? If that's the case, perhaps he should still have it, I dunno.

It'd be the same as a catchweight fight that the belts aren't on the line. Just like when Kelly Pavlik lost to Bernard Hopkins and still had the middleweight belt (if I'm remembering correctly).

Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong. lol
blackbelt2003
The WBA are blameless in this.

In ALL of the alphabet guys rules, if a guy who holds their belt loses in a scheduled twelve rounder fought at the weight in which they hold the belt, they CANNOT hold the belt.

If the belt was on the line, the guy who beat them gets it. If it wasn't, they get stripped.

Pretty simple.

The only downside is the WBA insisting the Russian who now holds the belt was the top ranked guy under Shane, when I'm sure there are plenty more deserving contenders.

And as for giving Floyd the WBA belt anyway, that would open the door for every fighter refusing to pay the sanctioning fees and hope the WBA will do the 'moral' thing. But seriously, how long can a body operate without any income? Who's gonna pay for the actual championship belt? Who's gonna pay for the all the work and staff?

It's gotta come from somewhere, and that is what a sanctioning fee is supposed to be.

I'm getting worried all these fighters blanking the alphabet bodies or fighting for lesser titles. The saying goes that, 'the fighter makes the belt, not the other way around'. But this is potentially dangerous. Would you really trust the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pac, Bob Arum etc to make the most deserving fights if there were no championship belts?

I'd rather stick with the alphabet boys telling champions who to fight. They throw some duds up every now and then, but by large they do a better job than Golden Boy, Top Rank and the prima donna fighters would do if left to their own devices.

Black

Jack 1000
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 23 2010, 07:19 AM) *

In ALL of the alphabet guys rules, if a guy who holds their belt loses in a scheduled twelve rounder fought at the weight in which they hold the belt, they CANNOT hold the belt.

If the belt was on the line, the guy who beat them gets it. If it wasn't, they get stripped.

Pretty simple.

The only downside is the WBA insisting the Russian who now holds the belt was the top ranked guy under Shane, when I'm sure there are plenty more deserving contenders.

And as for giving Floyd the WBA belt anyway, that would open the door for every fighter refusing to pay the sanctioning fees and hope the WBA will do the 'moral' thing. But seriously, how long can a body operate without any income? Who's gonna pay for the actual championship belt? Who's gonna pay for the all the work and staff?

It's gotta come from somewhere, and that is what a sanctioning fee is supposed to be.

I'm getting worried all these fighters blanking the alphabet bodies or fighting for lesser titles. The saying goes that, 'the fighter makes the belt, not the other way around'. But this is potentially dangerous. Would you really trust the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pac, Bob Arum etc to make the most deserving fights if there were no championship belts?

I'd rather stick with the alphabet boys telling champions who to fight. They throw some duds up every now and then, but by large they do a better job than Golden Boy, Top Rank and the prima donna fighters would do if left to their own devices.

Black

Cosign!!!

And a lot of fighters in smaller divisions get more exposure because of the belts. People like Manny Pacquiao winning all those belts. He couldn't really do that if there were no belts. If you win a WBC, WBA, IBF title, you move on the way to even bigger things like unifications. The WBO is gaining groud almost with the big three, but not quite there yet. The only time you might not need the belts is if you are fighter with a huge name and network fighting the guys that the public wants you to fight. Than the fighter can be bigger than the belts. But HBO's and Ring's assessment of "ignore the alphabets and they will go away" doesn't work. Because there are too many smaller weight class fighters that don't have the luxery of a big network or media experience, where they would be nothing without an alphabet belt.

Jack
Snoop
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 23 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Pretty simple.

Black

I agree with most of this post, but IMO some of the sanctioning bodies going bankrupt and out of business wouldn't be a bad thing. There needs to be some form of rankings outside the promotional companies, but not to the ridiculous surplus amount that we have now.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ May 23 2010, 07:19 AM) *

Pretty simple.

Black

i thought the russian that now holds the belt was technically already a belt holder with mosely considered super champion status and once mosely lost the russian was given sole ownership of the belt...?... i could be wrong... this whole super champion crap is a load of b.s in my opinion...
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 24 2010, 08:59 AM) *
i thought the russian that now holds the belt was technically already a belt holder with mosely considered super champion status and once mosely lost the russian was given sole ownership of the belt...?... i could be wrong... this whole super champion crap is a load of b.s in my opinion...

Technically, you're right, but in reality the 'Super Champ' is the champ and the 'regular champ' is the no. 1 contender in my eyes.

But it is stupid and confusing. All of this stuff would be avoided if the WBC, WBA and IBF just made each other's champs their no.1 contenders.

They'd still get their sanctioning fees, they'd still get their champion and boxing would be the winner. Sure, the unified champ would have to pay sanctioning fees x 3, but then they'd be a bigger name if they were the only champ in the division.

Black
King Eugene
I'm hearing a bout between Shane Mosley vs. Sergio Mora may come about in Sept.

What do you guys think about that?
I really wouldn't be surprised if Mora outboxed him for 12 rounds straight.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 23 2010, 10:19 AM) *
I'm hearing a bout between Shane Mosley vs. Sergio Mora may come about in Sept.

What do you guys think about that?
I really wouldn't be surprised if Mora outboxed him for 12 rounds straight.

Sergio Mora UD 12 Shane Oldey. The fight with Mayweather is the type to make a guy like Shane grow old very quickly.

Black
JLUVBABY
mora is a very dangerous fight for mosley at this point... i see mosley being just a tad bit more competitive than he was with mayweather.... im in no means a fan of mora but i respect his boxing... i think he's a dangerous fight for a few fighters out thre at the top...
D-MARV
Mosley will fuck Mora up.

Martinez is calling out Mosley as well.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mora has shown that he can fight dirty on the inside (see the 1st Forrest fight) but I think he gets hammered here. He has no power to keep Mosley at bay, his torso is scrawny, making him susceptible to Mosley's potent body attack and doesn't even have that good a jab. I could be wrong about that last one but I don't think he beats Mosley.
JLUVBABY
id be interested in seeing mora mosely... martinez sends mosley into retirement..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.