Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighter you wish had another shot
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Al Hata

I was a huge "Terrible" Terry Norris and although he had a great career, I really think he could have been better. He was a bad ass dude and got caught a few times because he was out for blood every time out and had a suspect chin. I think vs. this generation of fighters, he might have even had a better career at 154. Even if he didn't, it would sure be exciting to see. Trinidad, Mosley, Wright, De La Hoya. I think he beats Wright and Mosley but probably get tagged up by Oscar and possibly Tito. Tito vs Norris would have been insane.

Anybody else have a favorite fighter from back when who you would like to get another shot at this era just to see what would happen?
Nay_Sayer
If only Mike Tyson could have turned pro in 2005 instead of the mid '80s....
King Eugene
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 21 2010, 10:21 PM) *
If only Mike Tyson could have turned pro in 2005 instead of the mid '80s....

+1
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Even though he has had a stellar career, James Toney.

Tyson is an obvious one.

I think David Tua has wasted the best part of his career. How the fuck has John Ruiz been a 2 time champ and Tua has only fought for the belt once?
Romulus9
Any good heavyweight from years gone by should make the list.

Hell, Jerry Quarry should make the list because in any other era he would have been a champion. He was just in the wrong era.

A motivated, focused Tim Witherspoon would be unreal right now.

Throw in Pinklon Thomas with the jab.

Instead, we have "contenders" like Kevin friggin' Johnson.
Lil-lightsout
Meldrick Taylor, only at 140lbs, not welterweight.

James Toney at 168 against the guys we got now.

Bowe at heavyweight.
mexi-cutioner
Edwin Valero.
King Eugene
Sweet Pea

I'd love to see him matched up with Floyd. Some may think that would be a boring fight but I'd enjoy the hell out of it.

I think he'd dominate Bradley, and beat Khan and Alexander decisively.
AussieLad
Naseem Hamed, just because he was so fucking entertaining to watch.
GARCIA
JAMES TONEY! ! !
BigG
Meldrick Taylor

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 22 2010, 03:32 AM) *
Edwin Valero.

Nice call, MC.

I'll throw in Du Koo Kim.
pcraw
James Toney and I would have loved to see Aaron Pryor's career without the drug abuse.
JLUVBABY
this guy... the one on the left... recognize him?... lol... i had to look twice too...

Spyder
We all must think alike...lol...before I even opened the thread the name that came to me was Meldrick Taylor.

I think it's because we recognize the Greatness that the rest of the world missed.
Spyder
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 12:06 PM) *
this guy... the one on the left... recognize him?... lol... i had to look twice too...

DAMN!

laugh.gif

He looks old as fuck!
Lil-lightsout

See... Hatton does not look that bad, lol.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 22 2010, 06:41 PM) *
See... Hatton does not look that bad, lol.

Yeah, comparatively speaking...
E.C.LEGEND
Roy jones at 168 with current fighters there.
JonnyBlaze
I'd really want to have Barney Ross,Tommy Hearns,and Marvin Hagler,Mike McCallum in the mix today..Also Tommy Loughran at light heavy and also cruiser..

I'm also with Percy about Pryor..

I'd want to Dempsey and Joe Louis in the heavyweight division so they could clean house then see them 2 fight each other in what I think would be one of the best match ups ever in history(the Dempsey that fought Willard vs Louis from Schmeling 2)..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ May 22 2010, 04:27 PM) *
Roy jones at 168 with current fighters there.

im not so sure any of the elite fighters at 168 right now could hang with him... that was his prime weight and his skill was second to no ones.... i honestly feel that version of jones compares with the greatest of all time fighters pound for pound... he was that good...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 07:30 PM) *
im not so sure any of the elite fighters at 168 right now could hang with him... that was his prime weight and his skill was second to no ones.... i honestly feel that version of jones compares with the greatest of all time fighters pound for pound... he was that good...

Dude.. Jones would destroy any 168 pounder of today. NO ONE would win a round!
Method
Charles Brewer
Method
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 22 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Dude.. Jones would destroy any 168 pounder of today. NO ONE would win a round!

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 07:30 PM) *

Prime weight, huh? How many fights he have there?
Hops
QUOTE (AussieLad @ May 22 2010, 09:20 AM) *
Naseem Hamed, just because he was so fucking entertaining to watch.

Yeah!!! Hamed vs Mayweather would have allowed us to witness entrances unprecedented in history of boxing.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Method @ May 23 2010, 12:10 AM) *

What I saw from Jones at 160 and 168, leads me to believe no one would ever beat him at that weight in his prime, especially any of the guys today. I know you do not agree, just my honest opinion.
D-MARV
I have always thought that the best Roy Jones would be damn near impossible to beat. No one from this era would have beaten him.
JD
Thomas Hearns....Floyd and Pacquiao would be bending over backwards to get at each other just so they didn't have to see him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:28 AM) *
Thomas Hearns....Floyd and Pacquiao would be bending over backwards to get at each other just so they didn't have to see him.

This is very true indeed.
Thegreatequalizer

yeah, that pic is hilarious. hamed makes hatton look like he's at his prime fighting weight.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 08:28 AM) *

Yep.
Maxy
I'd love to see Hearns boxing today. You all know how quick he'd get rid of Pac and how Mayweather would have never moved up further than 140 if Tommy was on the scene.

I'd also like to see Holmes. He'd do exactly what he did in the late 70's, early 80's....clean up the heavyweights but get underrated for fighting in a weak era.
BigG
Hearns would KO Pac and May, move up KO Martinez, then win the super 6.
kidbazooka1
Julio Cesar Chavez so he could have fought Manny Pacqiuao.
D-MARV
Chavez would have chopped Pacquiao up.
JD
And Hearns would have handled Chavez.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:17 PM) *

That's an understatment!

Hearns could have very well been the baddest welterweight ever!!!
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:28 AM) *

Probably.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 23 2010, 10:09 AM) *
This is very true indeed.

The bandwagon gains steam.

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ May 23 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Yep.

Like a downhill skier.

QUOTE (Maxy @ May 23 2010, 03:30 PM) *
I'd love to see Hearns boxing today. You all know how quick he'd get rid of Pac and how Mayweather would have never moved up further than 140 if Tommy was on the scene.

I'd also like to see Holmes. He'd do exactly what he did in the late 70's, early 80's....clean up the heavyweights but get underrated for fighting in a weak era.

It is flying now.

The Sisters Klit would rather call each other out than deal with a prime Holmes.

QUOTE (BigG @ May 23 2010, 04:10 PM) *

The Tommy bandwagon has officially gone out of control at this point.

QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:17 PM) *

Off the rails.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 23 2010, 09:24 PM) *
That's an understatment!

Hearns could have very well been the baddest welterweight ever!!!

By the time I post this Hearns may well have been the GOAT of every weight class from welter to heavy.

"The Hitman is a living deity, I tell ya'!"

It is Sunday night (back away from the bongs and put down the Colt 45).
JD
Silence.

I would never drink Colt 45!

Side note - Hearns would handle Chavez.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:45 PM) *
Silence.

I would never drink Colt 45!

Side note - Hearns would handle Chavez.

Then you haven't lived.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." William Wallace.

Cliff note; "Tommy would KTFO Holmes, I tell ya'. He'd embarass both Klits, at once."
JD
I didn't say I have never had it...I just said I would never drink it. That stuff is just putrid. Old E, Hurricane, Big Bear, Crazy Horse, Mickeys, Golden Anniversary...whatever swill in a 40 oz bottle you can think of, I have tried it back in the day just for the sake of it. Terrible.

I got Holmes and either Klit over Tommy...Chavez, Floyd or Pac? Not so much.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 09:53 PM) *
I didn't say I have never had it...I just said I would never drink it. That stuff is just putrid. Old E, Hurricane, Big Bear, Crazy Horse, Mickeys, Golden Anniversary...whatever swill in a 40 oz bottle you can think of, I have tried it back in the day just for the sake of it. Terrible.

I got Holmes and either Klit over Tommy...Chavez, Floyd or Pac? Not so much.

Golden the fuk Anniversary? Is that before or after the showers?

Probably correct on the Chavez, Floyd Pac front. I just don't think he qualifies as GOAT welter or anything else. He was great. He was elite. He could also be KTFO. His legs were not great.
JD
Greatest welterweight of all time? No...I don't think he was. Could he potentially beat any welter on any given night? Perhaps.

Golden Anniversary is conceivably the worst thing ever brewed.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ May 23 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Greatest welterweight of all time? No...I don't think he was. Could he potentially beat any welter on any given night? Perhaps.

Golden Anniversary is conceivably the worst thing ever brewed.

Gives me a searing headache just thinking about it.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 22 2010, 06:30 PM) *

I know that, but there are more names there now than when he was there. If he cleaned house with the current roster...maybe some people wouldn't knock him as much.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 22 2010, 11:33 PM) *
What I saw from Jones at 160 and 168, leads me to believe no one would ever beat him at that weight in his prime, especially any of the guys today. I know you do not agree, just my honest opinion.

co-signed...

man i still get a good laugh off that sig.. lol!!!
Hops
QUOTE (BigG @ May 23 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Hearns ain't KOing Floyd. Never.
Hops
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 23 2010, 07:30 PM) *

Spot on.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ May 22 2010, 11:10 PM) *

its not the number of fights jones had at 168 but the quality in the fight produced at the respected weight that tells me 168 was his prime fighting weight... at 168 jones maintained his punching power, super cat like reflexes and everything else that had some nicknaming him superman, you could say he was the ultimate fighting machine at that weight... pound for pound no one else came close to him at that fighting weight.... he didnt carry all that punch up to lt heavy even though he was untouchable till his move up to heavy then that move back down...
JLUVBABY
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.