Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sugar Ray Robinson Vs. Tommy "The HitMan" Hearns
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Classic Boxing
Douchebag
I got Ray by KO, I know there are some that think that Hearns wins this but I just don't see it.
neophyte7
SRR lost to a Jake Lamatta--- a midget with less skills in comparison to Hearns... so the possibility of Tommy winning are not out of the question If Tommy decided to Box this would be a chess match. Very good fight. You got to favor SRR because of his chin.. also at what weight 147 or middleweight.
Douchebag
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 24 2010, 01:17 PM) *
SRR lost to a Jake Lamatta--- a midget with less skills in comparison to Hearns... so the possibility of Tommy winning are not out of the question If Tommy decided to Box this would be a chess match. Very good fight. You got to favor SRR because of his chin.. also at what weight 147 or middleweight.

This is at welter and Ray only lost to Lamatta when he first went to 160. After that Lamatta face loss after loss at the hands of Ray.
PR316
50-50 fight because Robinson had been dropped and badly hurt by the likes of Tommy Bell and Artie Levine, not to mention the loss in his 2nd fight with Lamotta, whom outweighed him by about 12 pounds on the night of that fight.

You have to favor Robinson though. But it would be very tough for him. Hearns was like a praying mantis. His reach was freakish for a weltweright(78 I believe) and Robinson was about a 73 or 74 I wanna say. Hearns right hand when perfectly delivered was capable of knocking out anything that weighed 147 pounds and Robinson would have to taste quite a few of them.

I think its stars slow with Hearns getting the better of it from long range, and then Robinson decides he has to go after Hearns, damning the consequences. It'll take a while but by the mid rounds Robinson will find Hearns with those brutal bodyshots and his right hand left hook combination. And when he does, I think that'll be too much for Tommy to be able to handle. Ray would break him down.

Robinson via 12th round TKO,.
neophyte7
YOUR ASSESSMENT is what I had in my head regarding Rays body work.. He could really go the body in savage brutal fashion
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The Conscience @ May 24 2010, 12:07 PM) *
I got Ray by KO, I know there are some that think that Hearns wins this but I just don't see it.

I agree..Ray would KO Hearns..Ray had more power than we know..
neophyte7
At middle weight and Light heavy? leans towards hearns at those weights
caneman
Tommy was a badass but Ray would tag that chin & Tommy's legs would be gone IMO! Ray wins with no problem IMO!
JonnyBlaze
Basilio had said Robinson hit harder than anyone he ever fought..I really feel we don't know how hard Robinson really hit..Even after watching him KO Fullmer,I still feel his power hasn't been given it's rightful dues..Robinson was a devestating 1 punch KO artist..
PR316
Robinson's power is not underrated. He is recognized for alot for his ability to end a fight with one punch, with either hand. His power was truly chilling.
neophyte7
Robinson also was very good with his feet. He could dance all over the ring when he wanted. Yeah I have to admit. hearns would be out gun in just about every department... besides the fact that Ray had ungodly stamina
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 28 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Robinson also was very good with his feet. He could dance all over the ring when he wanted. Yeah I have to admit. hearns would be out gun in just about every department... besides the fact that Ray had ungodly stamina

If you knew what he did in the gym,you'd be even more surprised..He'd spar 6 rounds when he'd be preparing for 15 round fights..He would be in and out the gym in 2 hours after working technique and doing his work out..It's all about being loose and making a point to not over train..It's better to be under trained then over trained..Have you ever seen Robinson tense??Naw..Robinson is only behind Benny Leonard and Tommy Loughran in the footwork department..He used minimal energy while moving by sliding while the guys he was fighting was chasing after him for the most part..His footwork was key to his success..
PR316
^^^^Good point about the footwork.

You can see a prime welterweight Robinson here. He could slide left or right with ease all the while maintaning his balance and punching with full leverage and body weight to really add power.
neophyte7
Watch Hopkins Echols II-- after Hops got up from being body slammed he put on a footwork clinic while beating Echols with one hand... Ray Rob was his idol and can see things hops adopted from Ray Rob... watching that youtube clip of Ray Rob dropping his hands and sticking his chin out tells me that Roy Jones copied alot too.. Who would not be wise enough to call themselves great and not study Ray Rob???
PR316
Willie Pep is another who had amazing footwork. And of course Ali for a heavyweight had very unusual footwork considering how big he was. Roberto Duran in his prime had underrated footwork. He was like a cat.

kidbazooka1
I can't see any scneario where Hearns could win this. I could see him hurting Robinson but he'll never be able to follow up on much cause like most have already mentioned Ray was pretty much better than Tommy in every department save for maybe pure power.

Robinson by late rd TKO.
Maxy
"A left hook from Robinson and Hearns is down, Hearns is down and he's not gonna get up from that!!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.