Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LOST
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
thehype
Did anyone watch the series Lost?

If so, I'm curious to know your theories on the finale.
BGv2.0
Never watched one single episode of the show. But late last night yahoo had an article on it.....from an outsider just reading about what took place in the last episode.....it sounds like the entire thing was the fantasy of a dude that was dying.

Mean Mister Mustard
They pulled a St. Elswhere?
Spyder
I watched a few episodes from the first season and then the finale...my moral of the story is, thou shall not waste 6 years of your life watching something that can be fulfilled in two episodes.

laugh.gif
Warlord
Been watching it since day 1. I remember someone tried to open up a "Lost" thread on this place awhile back, in the boxinqtalk days. Avon bitched out, talking about how even though he'd never watched it, it was a shitty show that only retards watched, and then he closed the thread down.

That aside, I watched the finale and I thought it was perfect.

It wasn't the fantasy of a dude dying, BG. The character you're referring to is Jack Shepard, played by Matthew Fox. He was dying, yes. But his life, and everyone else's life on the island were real. The story ended with all of the characters re-uniting in the after-life.

It sounds gay just by reading it, I'm sure. But in reality, it was quite beautiful, I think. It was the most satisfying conclusion to a television series, I think, that I've ever witnessed.

The X-Files was awesome, but it crumbled under the weight of its own mythology and finished with a whimper. Farscape (Another of my all-time favorites) was cancelled prematurely, saved by fans, and then granted a mini-series to finish itself. But after all that epic-ness, the end still didn't live up to expectations. Seinfeld is another show. It ended well, but not perfectly.

Lost didn't crumble under its own mythology. Even though the mythology of the show was vast, the mythology itself was never the center of the story. The characters, their lives, their short-comings, their relationships, all of these things were the heart of the show. And the last episode was a great way to finally bring all of these people full-circle.

Everyone who was disappointed by the ending all have the same argument: "They didn't answer every single question I had about the show. What about the POLAR BEARS? Boo hoo! What about the NUMBERS? Boo hoo." Grow up, you fucking pussies. Nearly every question about the show was answered, in one form of media or another. (I can answer both of those questions, btw, because I'm a hardcore geek like that.) But these pussies want to whine because it wasn't spoon-fed to them. Like I said, grow up you pussies.

Anyway, anyone else check it out? What are your thoughts?
thehype
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 24 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Been watching it since day 1. I remember someone tried to open up a "Lost" thread on this place awhile back, in the boxinqtalk days. Avon bitched out, talking about how even though he'd never watched it, it was a shitty show that only retards watched, and then he closed the thread down.

That aside, I watched the finale and I thought it was perfect.

It wasn't the fantasy of a dude dying, BG. The character you're referring to is Jack Shepard, played by Matthew Fox. He was dying, yes. But his life, and everyone else's life on the island were real. The story ended with all of the characters re-uniting in the after-life.

It sounds gay just by reading it, I'm sure. But in reality, it was quite beautiful, I think. It was the most satisfying conclusion to a television series, I think, that I've ever witnessed.

The X-Files was awesome, but it crumbled under the weight of its own mythology and finished with a whimper. Farscape (Another of my all-time favorites) was cancelled prematurely, saved by fans, and then granted a mini-series to finish itself. But after all that epic-ness, the end still didn't live up to expectations. Seinfeld is another show. It ended well, but not perfectly.

Lost didn't crumble under its own mythology. Even though the mythology of the show was vast, the mythology itself was never the center of the story. The characters, their lives, their short-comings, their relationships, all of these things were the heart of the show. And the last episode was a great way to finally bring all of these people full-circle.

Everyone who was disappointed by the ending all have the same argument: "They didn't answer every single question I had about the show. What about the POLAR BEARS? Boo hoo! What about the NUMBERS? Boo hoo." Grow up, you fucking pussies. Nearly every question about the show was answered, in one form of media or another. (I can answer both of those questions, btw, because I'm a hardcore geek like that.) But these pussies want to whine because it wasn't spoon-fed to them. Like I said, grow up you pussies.

Anyway, anyone else check it out? What are your thoughts?

I'm with ya Warlord...I thoroughly enjoyed it...it was actually deeper than I expected.

I've read all kinds of theories all day...they died immediately, their life on the island was real, multiple dimensions...all kinds of stuff...all of them possible in one way, shape or form, which is what I liked about the show I guess...the fact that you could never figure it out, but you just can't help but try. LOL.

I kind of side with the theory about everything on the island being real and they all just eventually died and finally met up again...but then again, if that's true, then year, there's a whole lot of stuff that could have used some explaining...but ultimately, I could care less. I like the fact that it left so much up to the imagination...and all those people that were disappointed...SUCKERS! That's what they get for expecting everything to be explained. LOL. For me, it was very entertaining...good acting (I'm gonna miss seeing my boys Locke and Sawyer), interesting twists, great scenery...it is what it is...a great hour of entertainment every week. I thoroughly enjoyed...wasn't disappointed at all.

In fact, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that it's over...and 24 and Heroes too? Damn!

Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ May 24 2010, 10:38 PM) *
I'm with ya Warlord...I thoroughly enjoyed it...it was actually deeper than I expected.

I've read all kinds of theories all day...they died immediately, their life on the island was real, multiple dimensions...all kinds of stuff...all of them possible in one way, shape or form, which is what I liked about the show I guess...the fact that you could never figure it out, but you just can't help but try. LOL.

I kind of side with the theory about everything on the island being real and they all just eventually died and finally met up again...[/b]

That's it in a nutshell. I can't go word for word, but both Jack and Christian laid it out.

Jack was like, "All of this happened for a reason."

And Christian was like, you know, you guys met (in their real lives) because you needed them, and they needed you. You were all flawed in some way, broken. And together, you completed each other. These are the most important people in your life.

And then Christian explains that after death, there is no "now." Everyone arrives to the after-life. Some before you, some after. And they meet together, to make the final trip together. (To heaven? Who knows right?)

I really don't see how so many people were getting confused. We clearly see Jack die on the island, while the few who've survived escape on the Ajira flight. We know for a fact that Hurley and Ben spent a long period of time working together to protect the island. (Hurley: "You were a good number two." Ben: "You were a great number one.")

We know for a fact that Charlie, Jin, Sun, Locke, Boone, Shannon, and Sayid had died. We know Jack died. The after-life scenario was made perfectly clear. I thought. I'm reading a bunch of dumb shit today from some thick blockheads and it literally astounds me.

but then again, if that's true, then year, there's a whole lot of stuff that could have used some explaining...but ultimately, I could care less. I like the fact that it left so much up to the imagination...and all those people that were disappointed...SUCKERS! That's what they get for expecting everything to be explained. LOL. For me, it was very entertaining...good acting (I'm gonna miss seeing my boys Locke and Sawyer), interesting twists, great scenery...it is what it is...a great hour of entertainment every week. I thoroughly enjoyed...wasn't disappointed at all.

Co-sign. Which mysteries weren't cleared up for you? Maybe I can shed some light. I was (am?) a pretty huge Lost geek. Some of the common questions are usually:

Where did the Polar Bears come from?
The Dharma Initiative

Well then who the fuck is the Dharma Initiative?
A group of scientists who came to the island in the 1970's to study its strange electro-magnetic properties.

What are the "numbers?" (4,8,15,16,23,42)
The numbers still have some mystery about them. But we do know that they were the variables in a mathematic equation designed to determine the end-date for mankind. The Dharma Initiative was originally established to discover a way to change any of the 6 variables, thereby preventing mankind's extinction.

The numbers also serve a very mythical purpose, but no explanation is ever given. Nor should it have been. No answer would've ever been good enough. It's better left to the murky depths of our imagination.

What is the island?
Every explanation given by the writers over the years was just bits and pieces. I think, ultimately, it is left in the hands of the viewer. I personally always viewed the island very similarly to the way John Locke did. The island was alive. It brought those people there because they needed to be there. They were all broken, and the island gave them a new chance, to forget the past and be whatever they wanted to be.

That's why we kept hearing phrases like, "The island's not finished with you yet." I think a real effort was made to give these characters second chances at life.

In fact, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that it's over...and 24 and Heroes too? Damn!

I checked out on both of those series a long time ago. The thing that bugged me about 24 was that Jack Bauer was always put in the hard situation, and forced to make the hard choice. He would make the hard choice, but he would never have to suffer the consequences for it.

I think season 2 is when I checked out. Jack was undercover within that drug syndicate, and he had to kill Chase (wasn't that the guy's name? Kim's boyfriend?) in order to prove his loyalty and keep his cover intact. So Jack makes the decision, yes, I have to kill my partner, otherwise millions of Americans will die. Cool. I'm down with that. But he pulls the triggers and its "Oops, just kidding Jack. The gun wasn't loaded. Just testing you. Hehehe."

I hate that kind of fucking shit. Weak-as-shit writing, man. A real fucking cop-out. 24 could've been epic if we had Jack being forced to REALLY get down and dirty. Yeah, torturing terrorists is a hot-button issue. But they're fucking terrorists. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit? No one. But when you have to kill someone you work with in order to get the job done, now that's a weighty fucking issue.

That's why I like Lost, and stuck with it. That was a show that had the balls to kill ANYONE, at any fucking time. Boone dying? Man, no one ever thought Boone would die. Its TV. The hero always saves the day.

The U.S. Marshal, the guy who caught Kate? Yeah. We knew probably he was gonna die. And he's sitting there, you know, taking forever to die. Suffering. Writhing in misery. Screaming and moaning. Suffering. So Sawyer decides he's gonna be the one to snuff him. Put him out of his misery. And so he shoots him and...

HE MISSES. He hits him in the lung, collapsing it. laugh.gif And now this fucking Marshal is suffering twice as badly before, and we know from Jack that it could take HOURS for the guy to bleed out.

And so the doctor, the guy who we've seen go above and beyond to try and save lives, the doctor goes in, and even though we don't see it, we know he goes in the tent and chokes the Marshal out, lol. Chokes him out with his own brutal hands, to put the poor sap out of his misery.

Now THAT is fucking good writing.

Fuck Avon, wherever that bitch is right now.
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 24 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Wait, I am confused. So is 'Lost' a reality show or not? I remember this show being big at one stage, though don't know anything about it. I thought it was a reality show (which is funny, because reality shows don't actually exist, lol). Though if it was a reality show, I don't know why the big deal or twist in a finale which threw me off.
What type of show was it?

laugh.gif

No, Lost was not a reality show...it was a drama.
thehype
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 25 2010, 12:49 AM) *
Co-sign. Which mysteries weren't cleared up for you? Maybe I can shed some light. I was (am?) a pretty huge Lost geek. Some of the common questions are usually:

Where did the Polar Bears come from?
The Dharma Initiative

Well then who the fuck is the Dharma Initiative?
A group of scientists who came to the island in the 1970's to study its strange electro-magnetic properties.

What are the "numbers?" (4,8,15,16,23,42)
The numbers still have some mystery about them. But we do know that they were the variables in a mathematic equation designed to determine the end-date for mankind. The Dharma Initiative was originally established to discover a way to change any of the 6 variables, thereby preventing mankind's extinction.

The numbers also serve a very mythical purpose, but no explanation is ever given. Nor should it have been. No answer would've ever been good enough. It's better left to the murky depths of our imagination.

What is the island?
Every explanation given by the writers over the years was just bits and pieces. I think, ultimately, it is left in the hands of the viewer. I personally always viewed the island very similarly to the way John Locke did. The island was alive. It brought those people there because they needed to be there. They were all broken, and the island gave them a new chance, to forget the past and be whatever they wanted to be.

That's why we kept hearing phrases like, "The island's not finished with you yet." I think a real effort was made to give these characters second chances at life.

Yeah, I pretty much got everything, but still, there was just a lot of crazy shit that went on at the Island that just makes you wonder WTF if all of it was real...like, what was up with Jacob's mysterious cabin disappearing all the time...or what was up with the wheel that they turned to make the island disappear and time travel...just crazy, far-out-there kind of stuff. But I don't really need an explanation so much...I just kind of see how people are still searching for answers to those questions.

Regardless though, like I said, I thoroughly enjoyed the show each and every week. Good stuff.

QUOTE (Warlord @ May 25 2010, 12:49 AM) *
I checked out on both of those series a long time ago. The thing that bugged me about 24 was that Jack Bauer was always put in the hard situation, and forced to make the hard choice. He would make the hard choice, but he would never have to suffer the consequences for it.

I think season 2 is when I checked out. Jack was undercover within that drug syndicate, and he had to kill Chase (wasn't that the guy's name? Kim's boyfriend?) in order to prove his loyalty and keep his cover intact. So Jack makes the decision, yes, I have to kill my partner, otherwise millions of Americans will die. Cool. I'm down with that. But he pulls the triggers and its "Oops, just kidding Jack. The gun wasn't loaded. Just testing you. Hehehe."

I hate that kind of fucking shit. Weak-as-shit writing, man. A real fucking cop-out. 24 could've been epic if we had Jack being forced to REALLY get down and dirty. Yeah, torturing terrorists is a hot-button issue. But they're fucking terrorists. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit? No one. But when you have to kill someone you work with in order to get the job done, now that's a weighty fucking issue.

That's why I like Lost, and stuck with it. That was a show that had the balls to kill ANYONE, at any fucking time. Boone dying? Man, no one ever thought Boone would die. Its TV. The hero always saves the day.

The U.S. Marshal, the guy who caught Kate? Yeah. We knew probably he was gonna die. And he's sitting there, you know, taking forever to die. Suffering. Writhing in misery. Screaming and moaning. Suffering. So Sawyer decides he's gonna be the one to snuff him. Put him out of his misery. And so he shoots him and...

HE MISSES. He hits him in the lung, collapsing it. laugh.gif And now this fucking Marshal is suffering twice as badly before, and we know from Jack that it could take HOURS for the guy to bleed out.

And so the doctor, the guy who we've seen go above and beyond to try and save lives, the doctor goes in, and even though we don't see it, we know he goes in the tent and chokes the Marshal out, lol. Chokes him out with his own brutal hands, to put the poor sap out of his misery.

Now THAT is fucking good writing.

Fuck Avon, wherever that bitch is right now.

laugh.gif

Yeah, truth be told, I pretty checked out of 24 when they killed President Palmer. LOL. Still though, it kind of became habit for me to tune in and watch Jack Bauer solve every single problem, make every single decision and break every single rule. LOL. I know exactly what you're saying though...the writing was WHACK...and it was so unrealistic to see Jack Bauer literally do EVERYTHING while CTU fucked up and got infiltrated every single season. LOL. Pretty LAME...but like I said, I kind of got used to the damn show coming on. Last night's finale was WHACK...but given every season since the first 2, it was probably a fitting WHACK ending. LOL.

By the way, great scene with Jack, Sawyer and the marshall...I almost forgot about that one. LOL. I actually think the first 3 or so seasons of Lost were better than the last few, but I definitely enjoyed the entire series.
Big Slim Sweet
I watched "Lost" from season one and enjoyed it as a show but never really cared much for the whole mythological aspect. I know that means I missed out on much of it, but by itself it was a very entertaining 60 minute program each week that I looked forward to watching. Terry O'Quinn gave one of the better performances in TV history IMO as John Locke.

My personal favorite series finale was "Six Feet Under", which actually gave me goose bumps watching it. I thought it perfectly captured what that show was about.

I also loved "The Sopranos" finale and the whole debate that came out of the sudden final cut. And I think about that scene every time I hear "Don't Stop Believing" so you know it made its stamp.

Hated the series finale of "Seinfeld", though I liked what they did with it on "Curb" this past year.
Warlord
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ May 25 2010, 01:44 PM) *
I watched "Lost" from season one and enjoyed it as a show but never really cared much for the whole mythological aspect. I know that means I missed out on much of it, but by itself it was a very entertaining 60 minute program each week that I looked forward to watching. Terry O'Quinn gave one of the better performances in TV history IMO as John Locke.

Terry O'Quinn has always been awesome. I even liked him on Millennium when he played the character of Peter Watts. Him and Lance Henriksen are real heavyweights as far as I'm concerned.

I know that O'Quinn has recently completed a script for a pilot, and has been pitching it to the networks. It would, potentially, star himself and Lost co-star Michael Emerson (Ben Linus) as two aging hit-men on the road together.

Man, those two guys together in any capacity is a recipe for awesome. Together like that? That would be fucking balls-to-the-wall. I hope someone out there green-lights this shit.
Keith Pratt
I first saw Terry O'Quinn in The Stepfather, he was great in that too:

Al Hata

I'm a huge Lost fan. I thought the finale was solid and never really expected all the answers. I think that what we saw was Jack's point of view of this adventure. The island life they had, althought not fully explained, was real. The alt reality was a waiting room for the next phase and once Jack died in reality his "soul" woke up and he was ready to move on.

Although it is interesting that C shepard said some people died before him and some died after....something about the island isn't right. Dead people alive, I don't know......maybe it was all a fantasy until he woke up. He did die in a plane crash right?

Fuck man.
Warlord
QUOTE (Al Hata @ May 26 2010, 11:18 AM) *
I'm a huge Lost fan. I thought the finale was solid and never really expected all the answers. I think that what we saw was Jack's point of view of this adventure. The island life they had, althought not fully explained, was real. The alt reality was a waiting room for the next phase and once Jack died in reality his "soul" woke up and he was ready to move on.

Although it is interesting that C shepard said some people died before him and some died after....something about the island isn't right. Dead people alive, I don't know......maybe it was all a fantasy until he woke up. He did die in a plane crash right?

Fuck man.

None of the dead people on the island came back to life on the island. I think most of what you saw was the MiB (The man in black, smokie, flocke, whatever you want to call him.)

In season 5 (or 4?) when Christian was with Claire, that was obviously the MiB, in hindsight.

Ditto with season 2, when Eko sees his "brother" on the island. I think that was the earliest hint of smokie taking different forms actually. Because Eko recognized it immediately, telling smokie "Why do you speak to me as if you were my brother?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Warlord @ May 25 2010, 09:20 PM) *
Terry O'Quinn has always been awesome. I even liked him on Millennium when he played the character of Peter Watts. Him and Lance Henriksen are real heavyweights as far as I'm concerned.

Lance Henriksen is the shit. Jesse Hooker in "Near Dark" was brilliant.

And like Keith Pratt, I first saw Terry O'Quinn in "Stepfather" and loved him in it.

Two great little horror flicks right there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.