Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chad Dawson considering dropping to 168lbs
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
tottenham19
Source : http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28040

By Mark Vester

IBO light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (29-0, 17KOs) is still willing to drop down to 168-pounds to fight some of the big names in the super middleweight division. The light heavyweight division is running a little dry and most of the big names are veterans who are past their best.

At 168, the roster is loaded with talent, names and big money fights. Mikkel Kessler, Lucian Bute, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell, Carl Froch, Arthur Abraham, Kelly Pavlik and Allan Green are just some of the names at the weight.

Dawson wants to wait until Showtime's Super Six tournament is over, so he can challenge the winner to a fight. Most of the top names, other than Bute, are locked into the Super Six. The finals of the tournament is scheduled for next year. Dawson is set to return in August with WBC champion Jean Pascal as the target opponent.

"There is more competition at 168. There are more guys who are my age. There are more guys who are physically strong and match up evenly with me as opposed to the guys in the light heavyweight division, but we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens with that tournament and hopefully the winner of that tournament is willing to take a fight with me," Dawson told BoxingScene.com's Ernest Gabion.
Thegreatequalizer
i like dawson taking the initiative. he clearly wants some high profile fights, but i think he should be challenging them to come up to fight for his light heavy belts. maybe most of them are too scared to move up to fight him, but he should be calling them out repeatedly. he's clearly the recognized champ and needs to play off the prestige of fighting in his division. i don't blame him at all though. i know some of these fighters have a hard time finding people to fight them.
JLUVBABY
these fighters are gonna learn about weight jumping... the greats from the past never jumped weights like they are doing now.... just my opinion but its cutting some of these guys primes... its gonna be one of the reasons paul williams prime gets cut short... just my opinion...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 25 2010, 04:44 PM) *
these fighters are gonna learn about weight jumping... the greats from the past never jumped weights like they are doing now.... just my opinion but its cutting some of these guys primes... its gonna be one of the reasons paul williams prime gets cut short... just my opinion...

I think you might be unto something Jluv. Could Dawson even make 168 without weakening himself? If he wants to fight Bute he should at least make him move up in weight. I'm sure the Romanian wouldn't mind not having to make 168 for a change.
Spyder
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ May 25 2010, 04:29 PM) *
i like dawson taking the initiative. he clearly wants some high profile fights, but i think he should be challenging them to come up to fight for his light heavy belts. maybe most of them are too scared to move up to fight him, but he should be calling them out repeatedly. he's clearly the recognized champ and needs to play off the prestige of fighting in his division. i don't blame him at all though. i know some of these fighters have a hard time finding people to fight them.

I disagree. Calling them out to "move up" is a little like begging for a fight. Think about how bad it would look to call out someone smaller than him? If he's able to move down there, then that's a different story. That would be him seeking out the biggest challenge, and going after it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I get the feeling if Chad goes down a division he will lose. Fighters cutting weight doesn't usually work out well for them. I would like to see Chad stay at LHW and dominate the division. The problem is he isn't a 'dominating' kind of fighter.

His win against Adamek though is looking better by the day.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (Spyder @ May 25 2010, 08:48 PM) *
I disagree. Calling them out to "move up" is a little like begging for a fight. Think about how bad it would look to call out someone smaller than him? If he's able to move down there, then that's a different story. That would be him seeking out the biggest challenge, and going after it.

i see your point, but it has worked for other fighters. it worked for b-hop. i guess what i was really trying to say is that he needs to be more vocal in calling out all fighters and making it clear that he's the top guy, and his promoter needs to make some of these guys offers to step up.
Lil-lightsout
Dawson should just be worrying about his next fight, and that's it.
JonnyBlaze
I like Dawson a lot..I see him being a big star down the road..I don't think he is one yet even though he has proved himself..He needs to improve a couple things and he's gold..
Maxy
I'm far from sold on Dawson at this point. I don't think he has any real pop and he definitely has an over inflated reputation. He needs to do more to sell me to him.

His fight vs Pascal will answer some questions and I think it will be a tough bout for him. Jean has proven that he is willing to dig down into the trenches and he's proven he can fight and win when he's one handed due to injury. He's a tough challenger for Dawson and I'm looking forward to the fight.

Dawson talking about moving down in weight is a huge mistake in my opinion. Either that or he realizes that he stands a better chance of living up to the expectations if he moves down in weight....provided he can comfortably do that.

Pascal is hungry and I rate him. Yeah he lost to Froch and realistically Dawson should be able to school him but I'm not yet convinced. I'm looking for a good performance from Chad to give me more reasons as to why I should rate him.
SENTRAL
I extend my love to Jean Pascal, he's a good boxer and he has made an everlasting impression on me with his mental toughness, a trait so often lacking in todays generation of less than hungry warriors. I share the above posters assessment that Chad will find this a tough fight because Pascal won't flinch at his arsenal. No, this has a clear decision victory for Chad written all over it. Chad is 6-3 so it seems questionable for him to consider moving to a lower division and I hope he chooses not to make such a sacrifice.
neophyte7
One of the things said above is that Dawson does not have real pop... many of his flurries don't landed cleanly... I am not sold on him either. He was buzzed by a shot tarver a few times in their bouts, a faster busier and stern fighter will be able to give him problems.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 29 2010, 05:06 PM) *
One of the things said above is that Dawson does not have real pop... many of his flurries don't landed cleanly... I am not sold on him either. He was buzzed by a shot tarver a few times in their bouts, a faster busier and stern fighter will be able to give him problems.

Agreed. You look at Dawson and he is a fine looking physical specimen. You'd think it'd be knocking out dudes left right and centre, then he gets in the ring and nothing happens......

Chad reminds me of one of those fighters who will do enough to win and no more. I still like Dawson and I was high on him after his Adamek win but I still feel like we are waiting for a career defining performance from him. The guy appears to have a ton of heart, Johnson took him to hell and back in that first fight but as much heart as he posseses he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct either.

A perplexing fighter.
Warlord
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ May 29 2010, 04:04 PM) *
I extend my love to Jean Pascal, he's a good boxer and he has made an everlasting impression on me with his mental toughness, a trait so often lacking in todays generation of less than hungry warriors. I share the above posters assessment that Chad will find this a tough fight because Pascal won't flinch at his arsenal. No, this has a clear decision victory for Chad written all over it. Chad is 6-3 so it seems questionable for him to consider moving to a lower division and I hope he chooses not to make such a sacrifice.

Tits or GTFO.

Just Kidding.

But seriously. Tits or GTFO.
Lil-lightsout
^^^^^^^ Hahahahahahaha!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 31 2010, 02:15 AM) *
I have asked her to show tits or GTFO myself. She ignored me.

Little slut.

Little slut? I get the feeling that 'she' is probably a 45 year old bald guy called Hank. laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 31 2010, 06:12 AM) *
The person in the AV is the person posting.

Nope no way. No way does a broad that good looking know that much about boxing. Physical impossibility.

I say it's really Hank from Michigan, about five eight, weighs around 250 pounds, bald, likes burgers............whoops I think I've just described James Toney!!!
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ May 31 2010, 11:31 AM) *
Nope no way. No way does a broad that good looking know that much about boxing. Physical impossibility.

I say it's really Hank from Michigan, about five eight, weighs around 250 pounds, bald, likes burgers............whoops I think I've just described James Toney!!!

Sorry Fitz, generally most of what you say I agree with. I think you are a sensible poster. But I'm with Ollie and his above statement. I pondered the idea of Sentral being the person in that sig for all of about 0.2 seconds. Then I moved on with the mroe sensible theory that the guy from Lil' Lightsout's sig stumbled upon his image being used and decided to start posting here.

Which leads me onto my next point. Sentral, they can do some wonderful things with lasers these days...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.