Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik has eyes on Dawson?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
tottenham19
Source : http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/...n_and_up_i.html

Former middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik will not have a rematch with Sergio Martinez, according to a story on myboxingfans.com.

It was Pavlik who lost a unanimous decision and his title belts to Martinez last month in Atlantic City.

Pavlik, out of Youngstown, won't fight Martinez in a rematch because Pavlik plans move up and fight at 168 pounds against IBF champion Lucian Bute. Pavlik also has his sights on IBO light heavyweight champ Chad Dawson.

Pavlik may have had trouble with Martinez because of weight issues.
KookedKrack
LMFAO
streetlion1
This cant be serious but if it is.....you have seen the last of Kelly Pavlik. He would get destroyed by Dawson...that being said...we havent seen Chad tested by a young, good, strong fighter in their prime. That fighter isnt Kelly Pavlik LOL.
JLUVBABY
somebody else said it in another thread... pavliks people are trying to cash the kid out... no way they can think they can win these fights they are talking about... bute, dawson... pavlik needs some serious confidence boosting fights then bring him up slowly (at least 2 or 3 fights) against some gate keeper or lower ranked guys in the division before going for the sharks.... just my opinion... lol..
D-MARV
LMAO.
PR316
Pavlik must want to go out on painful terms.

I don't even think he could beat Bute let alone Dawson.
The CEO
This would be another stupid/risky move on Team Pavlik's behalf...

Dawson beats anyone 175 and under...
Mean Mister Mustard
Dawson has learnt how to fight flat footed pressure fighters, see the rematch against Johnson. Pavlik would give him a tough fight but his face will be turned into hamburger. If he wants to cash out though he can do what he wants.
HaydelHammer
All the signs of a desperate man/managers/team that know their window is closing FAST or already closed for that matter.

How can Pavlik's career be salvaged guys? Seriously?

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 26 2010, 01:17 PM) *

As much as I like Dawson, I think he has problems with Andre Ward, Carl Froch and maybe, just maybe Andre Dirrell. Dawson is like a bigger Jermaine Taylor. I've seen him gassed and check out way to many times in fights. Any of those would be interesting fights. Dont get me wrong, Chad could wake up and dominate these guys, but I do think that it is possible that one of these guys could steal several rounds from Dawson, on the way to a close SD.
streetlion1
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 26 2010, 03:07 PM) *
As much as I like Dawson, I think he has problems with Andre Ward, Carl Froch and maybe, just maybe Andre Dirrell. Dawson is like a bigger Jermaine Taylor. I've seen him gassed and check out way to many times in fights. Any of those would be interesting fights. Dont get me wrong, Chad could wake up and dominate these guys, but I do think that it is possible that one of these guys could steal several rounds from Dawson, on the way to a close SD.

I agree with Dawson having problems with Andre Ward. He destroys Carl the Fraud Froch no question. Dirrell would spend the fight running before getting knocked out lol.

I think Dawson is way ahead of Jermain Taylor in every area....technical ability times 10!! My thing with Chad Dawson is...he tries to be a pure boxer....when sometimes that isnt in his best interest....if he was to become more aggressive and let his hands go more he could be very dangerous. He for sure beats anyone 175 and down besides maybe Bernard Hopkins or Andre Ward.
d843
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ May 26 2010, 04:18 PM) *
I agree with Dawson having problems with Andre Ward. He destroys Carl the Fraud Froch no question. Dirrell would spend the fight running before getting knocked out lol.

I think Dawson is way ahead of Jermain Taylor in every area....technical ability times 10!! My thing with Chad Dawson is...he tries to be a pure boxer....when sometimes that isnt in his best interest....if he was to become more aggressive and let his hands go more he could be very dangerous. He for sure beats anyone 175 and down besides maybe Bernard Hopkins or Andre Ward.
WOW!bhop?that's some funny shit!
neophyte7
Taylor came and went... Pavlik came and went. Party of boxing is staying in shape and maintaining weight. Hopkins did it for ten years as middleweight. People kill me with this he grew out of the division shit. I will buy that regarding a 19 year olf prospect, but not these old heads who exemplify poor discipline with their diets. I guarantee you want see a long reigning middle like Hopkins for some time. To dominate a division for years takes more than getting in the ring and winning... diet and preserving the body are vital. Pavlik will be lost outside of middleweight. He is done...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 26 2010, 04:50 PM) *
Taylor came and went... Pavlik came and went. Party of boxing is staying in shape and maintaining weight. Hopkins did it for ten years as middleweight. People kill me with this he grew out of the division shit. I will buy that regarding a 19 year olf prospect, but not these old heads who exemplify poor discipline with their diets. I guarantee you want see a long reigning middle like Hopkins for some time. To dominate a division for years takes more than getting in the ring and winning... diet and preserving the body are vital. Pavlik will be lost outside of middleweight. He is done...

I think if we see another long reigning champ it will be in the lower weight divisions and will probably some Asian fighter that not many will know about. The problem with today's fighters is that they are all after the big fights as wuickly as possible. Not many of them understand that if you build a long reign in a division you can create a name for yourself. You don't have go up in weight all the time to chase the big fights. Sometimes the big fights come to you, big names are always generated in boxing.
D-MARV
It seems as if they want to cash out on Pavlik. Get him in there with a couple tune ups before going after the big dawgs.

Dawson beats Hopkins ALL DAY LONG!
The CEO
I think Ward needs some more seasoning to get to a pick 'em with Dawson at 175...win the 68 tournament, make and win a good fight at 75, that should be enough...he's the only one that can be a threat to Dawson in the near future iMo...

In the meanwhile, Dawson should stay at Light Heavy and only take on top contenders like Cloud et al...really clean it out...he should make the smaller guys step up to him.
JD
Pavlik should not chase Dawson...it would not suit him well.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 26 2010, 08:15 PM) *
Very good post, coming from you.

That was actually a DAMN good post.
PR316
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ May 26 2010, 05:18 PM) *

Agree but I do think Dirrell gives him a tougher fight. Dawson would have to chase here and he's not used to that. He would get hit more than he ever has and if he does come back to beat Dirrell by a stoppage or decision, I wouldn't be shocked if he's down on the cards. But overall, I think Bad Chad beats just about everyone 175 or below.

B-Hop if he can still fight at the same level he did against Pavlik, would give Dawson all he could handle.

Ward is a good fighter but his lack of power at 168 wouldn't help him much at 175.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 26 2010, 12:17 PM) *

I think Dawson gives Chad some problems...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 26 2010, 08:50 PM) *
I disagree. I think Chad will give Dawson problems.

Ha ha, brain fart on my part.

Meant to say Ward gives Chad some problems...
mrwigi
if he is eyeing him, he better close them eyes b4 chad catches him staring at him
EirbinX
QUOTE (The CEO @ May 26 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Wats Wrong With Stupid/Risky Moves. Gatti Made plenty of them
The CEO
QUOTE (EirbinX @ May 27 2010, 10:33 AM) *
Wats Wrong With Stupid/Risky Moves. Gatti Made plenty of them

You're right...sometimes stupid/risky moves pay off in the long run...regardless if the one makin' 'em wins or not...

but Dawson is way more than Pavlik can chew....more stupid than risky....he'd at least have a shot against some names at 68...
Method
Career SUICIDE for Pavlik to face Dawson.

CAREER FUCKING SUICIDE right now.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 28 2010, 11:57 PM) *
Which is why he should go for it. Pretty much any path is leading to career suicide for him. May as well make it enjoyable for everyone else.

Fitz will cream his jeans if Pavlik is stupid enough to make this fight. This is all of Fitz's Christmas days come at once.
D-MARV
Librado Andrade just got a win last night... If I'm Team Pavlik, I target that guy... That fight would guarantee fireworks and I would favor Pavlik.
tottenham19
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 29 2010, 06:34 PM) *
Librado Andrade just got a win last night... If I'm Team Pavlik, I target that guy... That fight would guarantee fireworks and I would favor Pavlik.

I agree. That'd be a good first fight for Pavlik moving up. With that said, I'd still like to see Bute smoke Pavlik.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 28 2010, 11:57 PM) *
Which is why he should go for it. Pretty much any path is leading to career suicide for him. May as well make it enjoyable for everyone else.

Naaaahhh... The guy can still comeback and win some good bouts. i think the Andrade fight would be good. its winnable and its against a guy who is pretty well known. KP can take on a soft touch or 2 after that and get his swagger back. It looks like Hopkins took the guys confidence. I'd still like to see him try to get his 160lb title back from Sergio. Take on Andrade and a soft touch or two. Then go get your titles back at 160. If he absolutely cant make 160, then go for the best guys at 168, but only AFTER taking on a few softies to get his head swelling again. Pavlik aint done. I think he still can beat some people.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 31 2010, 06:15 AM) *
I don't know, things don't look to promising when you say he can still come back and win some 'good bouts', and then follow it up with the first and only name being mentioned is Andrade.

I think Andrade would be a good fight to debut at. If he can stop Andrade then it would look good anyway you look at it. I would then target Steiglitz to pick up a belt.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 31 2010, 08:43 AM) *
I'm not saying Andrade is a bad fighter, he isn't. But he isn't great. He is like a Urango, Miranda, Katsidis type of fighter of 168. Sure it's great for an up and comer or a mandatory. They are solid fighrers. But he was the undisputed middleweight champion. This isn't like his 5th weight class, it's his second. When talking about a former undisputed middle weight champion that is still kind of young, and to then look at Andrade as maybe one of the good ones he can scrap up, well I'm sorry. That isn't looking up considering to where he was (or according to so many).

I see where you're coming from BUT Pavlik is just trying to get a win back in his colum at a new weight class. Do you expect him to jump right into a Bute fight? That's silly and it's stupid if Team Pavlik makes that fight. I think Pavlik needs to get a W before anything else. Andrade is a fight he can win and be exciting doing it. I'm sure it's a fight HBO would air with a decent undercard fight. Many fighters take L's, fight lesser opponents and get another big fight. This is nothing new. I see nothing wrong with Pavlik fighting him to regain some momentum.

For the record though... Pavlik will NEVER beat Dawson. He probably couldn't beat Bute either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.