Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arum wants winner of Cotto/Foreman to fight Margarito
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
tottenham19

Source : http://www.boxingnews24.com/2010/05/arum-w...ight-margarito/

If Top Rank promoter Bob Arum is able to put together the fight between his fighter Manny Pacquiao against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in November, then Arum would like for the June 5th winner between his two Top Rank fighters Miguel Cotto vs. WBA junior middleweight champion Yuri Foreman to fight yet another one of his Top Rank fighters Antonio Margarito next. Itís a win-win situation for the 78-year-old Arum if he can get these fights taken care of because the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight will likely be the biggest in boxing history with the biggest paydays for those involved.

The one question that may get in the way of realizing Arumís vision is if Cotto refuses to go along with the program and fight Margarito should be get by Foreman in their fight at Yankee Stadium on June 5th. That would really mess things up for Arum, because he would like nothing better than to have Cotto facing Margarito at the Cowboy Stadium, in Arlington, Texas.

For a fight like that, it could sell as many as 50,000 tickets because of Margaritoís popularity with the Mexican community. However, Cotto has said previously that he never wants to fight Margarito again after losing to him by an 11th round TKO in July 2008. After a plaster-like substance was found on Margaritoís gloves before his bout against Shane Mosley last year in January, Cotto has become suspicious of Margarito and has said he doesnít want him to make money off of him.

If Arum is going to put the Cotto-Margarito rematch together, heís going to have to do a lot of convincing for Cotto, because this is a fight that Cotto may not want. To be sure, a Cotto-Margarito fight would be a popular one, but Arum might be better off keeping Cotto happy by looking in another direction. Arum should try and get Pacquiao to fight one last time against Cotto rather than trying to get Cotto to take a fight against Margarito that he really doesnít want.

Cotto fought well against Margarito for nine rounds, but in the 10th round Cotto was badly hurt after getting nailed by a big uppercut near the end of the round while trapped on the ropes. Margarito then went out and finished Cotto off in the 11th, causing him to take a knee twice before the fight was eventually stopped. Cottoís face was a bloody mess from cuts over both eyes and a broken nose. He looked ghastly, like he had been run over by a truck. With the punishment alone that he took in that fight, I donít blame Cotto for not wanting to fight Margarito again.
lloyd mayflower
Arum is a cunt. I cant believe Miguel stayed with him after he stood by Marg.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 29 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Arum is a cunt. I cant believe Miguel stayed with him after he stood by Marg.

Agree Miguel and clottey are two fighters that arum abuses straight up abuses...
Mean Mister Mustard
This was the plan Arum had been hinting at for a while now. I too dislike the fact that Cottto stayed with Arum but honestly, where was the guy going to go? Sign with GBP who can't even give their guys meaningful fights? Arum is the only one who can guarantee some dates for Cotto.
D-MARV
I Too hate Arum with a passion... But I won't knock how he treats his fighters. Cotto gets the life beaten out of him YET Arum finds a way to get him a fight with one of boxing's biggest stars and a HUGE pay day. Margarito gets caught cheating and now Arum will get Margarito a HUGE pay day in Pacquiao. If I was a boxer, I would want Arum promoting me.
JonnyBlaze
BS..Fuck Margarito..He ruined a guy who could of been great and who knows how many others.

If you were Cotto,what would you do??Fight him again or just shit talk em for cheating and say he's not worthy to fight anyone on top ever again??
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Alright, I'm going to catch some heat for this one, but I really hope Cotto beats Foreman on the 5th now. In fact, I hope Cotto looks spectacular and dominates Foreman. Margarito will get that rematch and stop Cotto again. I love hope everybody thinks he had loaded gloves against Cotto, even after director of the commission comes out and says they had their inspectors look at the wraps. Jay Nady, inspectors, and Team Cotto saw the wraps and saw his hands being wrapped. I just want to know what evidence people have that he did this in prior fights before Mosley. It's all speculative and no fact. However, everybody can have their own opinion. It is fact that his trainer was caught trying to put illegal wraps on his fighter, and I can understand why everybody wants to see Margarito go away. I still believe he didn't know, and he's taken the right steps for his career.

Cotto should fight him. However, I get this funky sense that Pac-Margarito will be happening first. I don't see Mayweather-Pac getting made, and Margarito would be the easiest fight for Arum to make. I think that fight is more interesting than most will give credit for.
Lil-lightsout
Margarito probably does not deserve to fight again, but he is going to anyway. So all I can hope is for him to get KO'd and embarrassed again. I would love to see Cotto beat Foreman and then destroy AM. I personally think Cotto will look better at 154 and it should also help him with Stewart in his corner(i think).
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ May 31 2010, 02:28 AM) *
Margarito probably does not deserve to fight again, but he is going to anyway. So all I can hope is for him to get KO'd and embarrassed again. I would love to see Cotto beat Foreman and then destroy AM. I personally think Cotto will look better at 154 and it should also help him with Stewart in his corner(i think).

I wanna see Pac tee off on his head all night. Pac hits hard enough to hurt guys but not hard enough to take them out with one shot (Fatton excepted.) That means Marg will take a shed load of punishment before falling over.
D-MARV
I'm having a hard time seeing Cotto beating Foreman.
SENTRAL
QUOTE (D-MARV @ May 31 2010, 06:49 AM) *
I'm having a hard time seeing Cotto beating Foreman.

The style mesh turns my head in favor of Foreman but then I get all twisted because he hasn't proven enough at the elite levels unlike Cotto. However, Cotto would have served my passions in his favor far more had he first had a tune up at 154. This is a difficult one to pick but as I type I get a poetic sense of an upset occuring so I will go out on a limb and stack my emotions and folding stuff on Miguel by 10 round TKO.
D-MARV
Foreman's style could cause Cotto some major problems. SHIT... Pacquiao won't even go near Foreman. Maybe Foreman has become the most feared fighter on the planet. LMAO
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ May 31 2010, 02:23 PM) *
The style mesh turns my head in favor of Foreman but then I get all twisted because he hasn't proven enough at the elite levels unlike Cotto. However, Cotto would have served my passions in his favor far more had he first had a tune up at 154. This is a difficult one to pick but as I type I get a poetic sense of an upset occuring so I will go out on a limb and stack my emotions and folding stuff on Miguel by 10 round TKO.

Cotto aint knocking Foreman out. Not even maybe
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 31 2010, 09:05 AM) *
Cotto aint knocking Foreman out. Not even maybe

I agree. I think Foreman will cruise to a UD and I also believe that Cotto will not be the same fighter anymore. If Cotto does lose this I really don't think there is anywhere left for him to go.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ May 31 2010, 03:50 PM) *
I agree. I think Foreman will cruise to a UD and I also believe that Cotto will not be the same fighter anymore. If Cotto does lose this I really don't think there is anywhere left for him to go.

Agree with that and it upsets me. I blame Margarito. Cotto was one of my favourite fighters up till that fight and won a lot more respect for taking that fight in the first place. I am convinced that Marg cheated in that fight. I dont see why he would win that one honestly, then use bricks for a Shane Mosley who looked like shit against Mayorga and got beat by Cotto.

Its a shame to see someone who used to look like a machine now look such a shell.

I hope Cotto wins this, put I wouldnt put my hard earned on it

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Can I just ask why you're convinced he cheated against Cotto?
lloyd mayflower
Like I said above Kyle, I dont see the logic in fighting an honest fight against Cotto. (And lets say for now he was honest) Breaking him down in such impressive fashion, stopping him for his 1st defeat, and then going into a fight with an ageing Shane Mosley, who looked shitty against Mayorga, and deciding you need to load your gloves. To me that doesnt make sense. To me the logic says he was loaded against Cotto. Just my opinion tho...

Also I believe Cotto is pretty convinced he cheated. May just be sore loser syndrome, but I put a bit of stock in the word of the guy on the end of the punches
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 31 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Can I just ask why you're convinced he cheated against Cotto?

kyle i think its a great assumption... come on... are we to believe the mosely fight was the first time?... mosley was considered shot going into that fight if he felt a need not to cheat that should have been the one... not many people gave mosley much of a chance.... now lets go back a few years... i give cintron a lot of flack but who has ran through his chin like margarito?... i dont want to take anything away from margarito but its hard not to wonder when it actually started... i mean come on margarito drives through world class fighters yet goes the distance with the last bum he fought?.... fishy if you ask me..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ May 31 2010, 01:31 PM) *
Like I said above Kyle, I dont see the logic in fighting an honest fight against Cotto. (And lets say for now he was honest) Breaking him down in such impressive fashion, stopping him for his 1st defeat, and then going into a fight with an ageing Shane Mosley, who looked shitty against Mayorga, and deciding you need to load your gloves. To me that doesnt make sense. To me the logic says he was loaded against Cotto. Just my opinion tho...

Also I believe Cotto is pretty convinced he cheated. May just be sore loser syndrome, but I put a bit of stock in the word of the guy on the end of the punches

to add to this assumption... paul williams is quoted after his fight with margarito that margarito was punching harder later in the fight than earlier on, its supposed to be the other way around isnt it?... lol.... this was said before the marg. mosley fight...
Imperius3
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ May 31 2010, 12:55 AM) *
Alright, I'm going to catch some heat for this one, but I really hope Cotto beats Foreman on the 5th now. In fact, I hope Cotto looks spectacular and dominates Foreman. Margarito will get that rematch and stop Cotto again. I love hope everybody thinks he had loaded gloves against Cotto, even after director of the commission comes out and says they had their inspectors look at the wraps. Jay Nady, inspectors, and Team Cotto saw the wraps and saw his hands being wrapped. I just want to know what evidence people have that he did this in prior fights before Mosley. It's all speculative and no fact. However, everybody can have their own opinion. It is fact that his trainer was caught trying to put illegal wraps on his fighter, and I can understand why everybody wants to see Margarito go away. I still believe he didn't know, and he's taken the right steps for his career.

Cotto should fight him. However, I get this funky sense that Pac-Margarito will be happening first. I don't see Mayweather-Pac getting made, and Margarito would be the easiest fight for Arum to make. I think that fight is more interesting than most will give credit for.

The commission was about to sign off on Margarito's wraps against Mosley too, until Nas spotted it. Of course the commission isn't going to admit they dropped the ball. They don't want to admit they fucked up, and they definitely don't want to get sued. I'm not sure why you mentioned Jay Nady since Kenny Bayless was the ref for the fight, but regardless it's not the ref's job to inspect the wraps. The ref for Margarito-Mosley (Raul Caiz) didn't notice anything funny about the wraps either. I don't know what happened with Team Cotto, but I think they do have some responsibility too. Not as much as the commission though.
lloyd mayflower
Let me put it to you another way. If i'm Marg and iv just dismantled top WW Miguel Cotto. Why do I then take a dive into the complete unknown and load my gloves for Shane Mosley? I'm at the top of my game, I just beat Miguel Cotto. Not only that, the longer the fight went on the harder i'm punching. I dont need loaded gloves for Shane fuckin Mosley! Also, since iv never done this before, I dont know what are the chances of being caught? Why take the risk now, AFTER the biggest win of my carrer which I got legitimately.

A more likely scenario is, I'm Margarito, I'v been getting away with loading my gloves for ages now. I got away with it whilst beating Cotto in a megafight, so i'm aswell doing it for Mosley. I'm not getting caught this time if i didnt the last few times
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Sorry I've taken so long to get back at you, I've just been super busy. I meant Bayless, not Jay Nady. Cotto's people saw Margarito's hands get wrapped, and the comission was there as well. Nevada is a reputable commission, and I don't think that would slip by. Styles make fights, and Margarito's style will beat Cotto's everytime. He was running around, and struggling in the late rounds against Mosley as well. Mosley didn't put the body work in like Margarito, so Mosley didn't finish him. There was a moment in the 2nd round when Margarito drove Cotto back and seemed to hurt him with a good body shot. There has been more than one person come out and say that his hands weren't loaded for that fight. If Cotto's people truly believed his wraps were rigged, I'm sure we would have heard a lot of it by now. The only people I really hear making a big deal out of that fight is HBO. I understand that because they had to sell Pacquiao-Cotto. However, Cotto looked like shit in the Clottey fight, getting drove back into those ropes. Clottey may have stopped him too if he let his hands go. We've seen Miguel Cotto hurt before. Torres nearly had him out back in 05. Pressure fighters give him problems, and that happened before Margarito. Like I said, the only people making a big deal out of Cotto-Margarito is HBO. He stopped Cintron early in both those fights too, before plaster would really harden. Manuel Gomez was fairly durable too, went 11 with Mosley, and was stopped in the first round. Isn't that before plaster hardens? There are really no facts to support that he had loaded wraps for that fight. Until I see those facts, I can only go off of what we know. I respect everybody's opinion though, and I think a rematch may answer some questions.

JLuv, Margarito fought that guy at 154 in his last fight. That's not his best weight class, and has never been his best weight class. He was beaten by Daniel Santos at 54, and didn't really look solid at the weight class. He dropped and hurt Garcia in the first round though, so the power must still be there. Garcia has never been stopped and has a pretty good chin. Margarito dropped and stunned him early, and dominated the rest of the fight. In a weight class that's not natural, that's not too bad. Also, he had been out of the ring for 16 months.

I guess I'll be the minority that believes Margarito didn't know what his trainer was doing. When I boxed golden gloves, I never really paid attention to my trainer wrapping my hands. When he was done, he'd ask, "Is that good"? I understand the point about Mosley not looking good against Mayorga. However, Margarito was coming off a brutal fight, where he did take some punishment. His trainer is with him in everyday in training and knows his fighter best. Maybe he seemed to have lost a step in sparring, or maybe he wasn't sharp on the mitts. Capetillo, stupiditly, tried to give his fighter an advantage. He was coming off the best win of his career, and he needed to keep the spotlight. Bigger paydays for Margarito mean bigger paydays for Capetillo. Boxing is a mentally draining sport, and you need to believe in yourself in the ring. Knowing that you have illegal wraps doesn't inspire much confidence in oneself, but Margarito always fought like he believed in himself. Capetillo may not have believed in him though, and desperatley tried to keep Margarito getting big fights. It's terrible, and Capetillo should be banned for life for that. I guess I'll believe Margarito was innocent though. That's my logic, and we'll see how Margarito looks in future fights. If he looks like shit in future fights, and can't beat world class fighters, then I'll consider changing my stance. However, one fight in and he dominated a fringe contender at 154. Lets see what happens when he gets Pacquio or Cotto again.
lloyd mayflower
I see where your coming from Kyle, I guess Marg getting his hands wrapped is like me getting out of bed in the morning, it will be totally routine for him, but where you and I differ is that I dont think theres any chance Marg didnt know what was going on. If getting his hand wrapped is routine for him, and he wasnt loaded before, he HAD to have noticed Capetillo doing something differently. I dont see any justification for either of them ever being allowed near a ring again. Sometimes people deserve second chances, but not in a combat sport, because the bottom line is, if not for brother Naaz, Shane Mosley might not have got a second chance
The CEO
Word on the street WAS Josh Clottey was gettin' the winner of this fight...that he was guaranteed a title shot as part of his package deal for his lay down vs. Pacquiao...
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 6 2010, 12:15 PM) *
Word on the street WAS Josh Clottey was gettin' the winner of this fight...that he was guaranteed a title shot as part of his package deal for his lay down vs. Pacquiao...

I was saying that as well. Arum will make sure he still gives Clottey shots for losing to Pacman. Why should Clottey suffer? He was only doing his job on what his boss wanted. Most guys get rewarded when they do their job correctly, Clottey isn't being treated any differently.
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 5 2010, 10:18 PM) *
I was saying that as well. Arum will make sure he still gives Clottey shots for losing to Pacman. Why should Clottey suffer? He was only doing his job on what his boss wanted. Most guys get rewarded when they do their job correctly, Clottey isn't being treated any differently.

lol...well he DID get that extra 1.5 mil from "Jerry Jones" AFTER the fight was over you know...they said it was out of "appreciation"...smh....for what??...lol

What a set up that was...
SmartyBeardo
You just had to go and give me heartburn before the fights start.
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 6 2010, 02:23 AM) *
lol...well he DID get that extra 1.5 mil from "Jerry Jones" AFTER the fight was over you know...they said it was out of "appreciation"...smh....for what??...lol

What a set up that was...

LMAO. Are you fucking serious? Is there a source on this?
The CEO
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jun 7 2010, 01:13 PM) *
LMAO. Are you fucking serious? Is there a source on this?

I thought you knew??...oh yes...he got a bonus for that shit...

There's several sources on it...just search the particulars...

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/03/15/10..._medium=twitter

Clottey was set to receive $1.5 million, his highest pay check to date in his career. According to Mendoza, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones doubled Clottey’s pay to $3 million because he was overjoyed by the number of spectators at the stadium.
D-MARV
LMAO.

Good work Clottey
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 7 2010, 07:21 PM) *

Wow...just...wow. Since when are fighter's purses DOUBLED when a venue fills up? LMAO
Imperius3
That is strange. I wonder if Jones increased Pac's purse also?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 7 2010, 01:21 PM) *

wow... i didnt know this till now... i also find it funny to think clottey only landed a handful of punches all night he did this... lol...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.