Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do Boxing Fans Want? (From Box Rec)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
There was an interesting thread over at Box Rec asking the boxing fans in general, what do they want in terms of improvments to the sport. Lots of interesting answers! At any rate here is my Top 10. (In no particular order:)

What do boxing fans want?

1.) The best fighters fighting the best fights regardless of promoter or TV network.

2.) Working together to create more unification title bouts.

3.) The elimination of all belts that are not a part of the big 4. (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO)

4.) Any bout that is not for a big-4 title should not be more than 10 rounds and should have no belt associated with it.

5.) The return of World Title fights to Free Broadcast TV.

6.) The return of somebody like Lou Dibella at HBO, who sought action fights for the network, NOT just kissing the a$$e$ of a few promoters or fighters to sign them to long-term contracts against sub-par opposition.

7.) The restriction of PPV to closed-circuit caliber superfights ONLY! Everything else goes to free TV, HBO, or Showtime, or even standard cable.

8.) The abolishment of any type of Open Scoring System throughout the world as this system has shown to be a dismal failure every time it is used.

9.) The creation of Super-Six tournaments by Showtime again and also by HBO to draw more casual fans to the sport.

10.) The use of Association of Boxing Commissions Unified Rules for all boxing matches around the world.

Jack
D-MARV
Just make the fucking fights... PERIOD!

Oh Yeah, Blood Testing... blink.gif
Romulus9
Jack, I'm in agreement for the most part but I'll say this.

I'm in the minority, most likely, but I have a lot of respect for the IBO compared to most of the sanctioning bodies. I like the way they do things overall and wish the clowns at the 'traditional' three would take note.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 1 2010, 08:50 PM) *
Jack, I'm in agreement for the most part but I'll say this.

I'm in the minority, most likely, but I have a lot of respect for the IBO compared to most of the sanctioning bodies. I like the way they do things overall and wish the clowns at the 'traditional' three would take note.

I heard that the IBO are unique in that a computer does all the ratings. But I don't know how the IBO's computer program evaluates them.

Jack
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I would go so far as to eliminate all the big 4. How the fuck was boxing so big back in the past when they only had 1 title per division? So why do we need so many snactioning bodies now?

PPV and so many different belts have ruined boxing. It has also prevented super fights from happening, because guys have been able to become 'world champs' without having to step up and fight the very best in their divisions.

The above top 10 list looks pretty good to me.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:32 PM) *
I heard that the IBO are unique in that a computer does all the ratings. But I don't know how the IBO's computer program evaluates them.

Jack

Basically, winning and who you win against.

Whatever it is, it's better than getting ranked because you know who to give cash to under the table.

Roy Jones getting an "interim" WBC Light Heavyweight title fight with Mike McCallum, just so he could add a 175# belt to his collection, just because he wrote the check to pay for it, pretty much sums the whole deal up for me.

IBO's rankings make more sense than most of them. In most of their divisions, their champion is rated under 5 in the overall division rankings. They don't have mandatory defenses. They also do not overrule local jurisdictions (see WBC's headbutt/cut point deduction penalty nonsense). There are a few other things too.

I like it.
alaganza
Take back control from the promoters.

Unify each division once and for all.

Penalize judges for obvious poor decisions

Blood testing would not be bad.

PPV only for worthy PPV fights. (no trash like hopkins/jones)
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 1 2010, 09:07 PM) *
There was an interesting thread over at Box Rec asking the boxing fans in general, what do they want in terms of improvments to the sport. Lots of interesting answers! At any rate here is my Top 10. (In no particular order:)

What do boxing fans want?

1.) The best fighters fighting the best fights regardless of promoter or TV network.

2.) Working together to create more unification title bouts.

3.) The elimination of all belts that are not a part of the big 4. (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO)

4.) Any bout that is not for a big-4 title should not be more than 10 rounds and should have no belt associated with it.

5.) The return of World Title fights to Free Broadcast TV.

6.) The return of somebody like Lou Dibella at HBO, who sought action fights for the network, NOT just kissing the a$$e$ of a few promoters or fighters to sign them to long-term contracts against sub-par opposition.

7.) The restriction of PPV to closed-circuit caliber superfights ONLY! Everything else goes to free TV, HBO, or Showtime, or even standard cable.

8.) The abolishment of any type of Open Scoring System throughout the world as this system has shown to be a dismal failure every time it is used.

9.) The creation of Super-Six tournaments by Showtime again and also by HBO to draw more casual fans to the sport.

10.) The use of Association of Boxing Commissions Unified Rules for all boxing matches around the world.

Jack

3,4 and 10 along with my twist.

One commission and organization. Call it PBA (professional boxing association) or something like that. Some mandatory things under the association include:

- medical coverage, 401K..etc

- top 10 rank per weight class purse based off ranking (get in top ten, get a nice payday basically) this ensures quality fighters are worth the rank and not have it handed to them

- must have some amateur background in boxing or previous experience outside the association (maybe you are an espn fighter trying to get in, so you fight your but off to get in the association)

- fighters not ranked in top ten must maintain rank in top 25 per weight class in order to receive salary in the PBA (can't just sit around and rid the system, you keep losing...you are out the league)

- champions defend only vs no. 1 ranked contenders. maintain a set salary but also get a % of PPV sales or larger market TV shares or cable (this is the prize of becoming champion)

- cut down weight classes to around 6 or 7 instead of the 20 we have now.

- retirement (sort of like the nfl HOF pension) get into HOF and get nice pension for however many years.

something to this effect...sure I know there are a lot of loop holes and things I'm leaving out but this is the kinda stuff I'd like to happen. A league of boxers basically. YOu can still have your independent boxers....it's up to them to fight in the league or not...but I feel the fact that it' s organized, boxers are shown from amateurs, olympics and career on open circuit tv under contract ...etc will pull fans because they practically grew up watching the fighter from day one.

Vs the guy that comes out of nowhere with a 22-8 record or some sh*T, no.1 ranked, drives a cab for a living YET he is taking on Roy Jones Jr for a belt and he has to fight him or he losses his belt. That is insane and should never happen.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.