Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones is back to HBO...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Romulus9
Just announced at the presser that Roy Jones will be the replacement commentator for Emanuel Steward who "took another job". thumbsup_anim.gif

Here's hoping that they come to their senses and bring him back full-time to the BAD series. If he doesn't want to go to the production meetings all that often, let it slide. It could be a lot worse.

Of course, we all know what's going to happen. They'll get Freddie Roach, who very few fans really want to see, or Floyd Mayweather, who is completely polarizing, or Hopkins, who knows his stuff but is awful behind the mic and can't relay it, or they'll go drag Ferdie Pacheco out of whatever assisted living facility he's in and give him a headset. You know, Jim Ross isn't doing WWE stuff on the air now. Why hasn't he been considered? He might be the best of that bunch.

Just give Jones the job back on BAD, and as Steward's fill-in on WCB, for good. Please. We'd all appreciate it.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 2 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Just announced at the presser that Roy Jones will be the replacement commentator for Emanuel Steward who "took another job". thumbsup_anim.gif

Here's hoping that they come to their senses and bring him back full-time to the BAD series. If he doesn't want to go to the production meetings all that often, let it slide. It could be a lot worse.

Of course, we all know what's going to happen. They'll get Freddie Roach, who very few fans really want to see, or Floyd Mayweather, who is completely polarizing, or Hopkins, who knows his stuff but is awful behind the mic and can't relay it, or they'll go drag Ferdie Pacheco out of whatever assisted living facility he's in and give him a headset. You know, Jim Ross isn't doing WWE stuff on the air now. Why hasn't he been considered? He might be the best of that bunch.

Just give Jones the job back on BAD, and as Steward's fill-in on WCB, for good. Please. We'd all appreciate it.

i was rooting for floyd mayweather sr but this is a great choice... lol... roy was a good commentator and its gonna be great to have him back...
D-MARV
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nay_Sayer
Roy was good, Foreman was better...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jun 2 2010, 12:28 PM) *

Foreman was funny. But a lot of times dumb. I recall so many times Lamps or Larry would have to correct him. I always believed that Foreman and Marchant hated each other.

Roy is a pretty good choice. Floyd's still too full of himself and arrogant. If Mayweather were to lose like Roy lost a couple of times, it would humble him and would make him a decent commentator. Never cared for Manny Steward as he would often slur his words and be difficult to understand.

Jack
Douchebag
Tyson.
salvador
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 2 2010, 01:19 PM) *
Foreman was funny. But a lot of times dumb. I recall so many times Lamps or Larry would have to correct him. I always believed that Foreman and Marchant hated each other.

Foreman was a manic depressive who got too emotionally close to pretty boy HBO fighters like DLH and Prince Hamed and was overly defensive any time Larry criticized them. Lampley's best on air moments were when he had to walk a tightrope and calm both guys down and leave their dignities in tact. Very funny stuff.

I think it was B-Talk that had a video interview with Lampley where he was asked: "Do you miss having George Foreman commentating?"

His answer: "No"

It was high point in Lampley's career.

My vote is for Tyson as well.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jun 2 2010, 12:28 PM) *

Agree..I liked Foreman more..He cracked me up a lot..
Fitz
I still want to hear Tyson as a trial. I know that it would be a risky move, but I would just love to see him a few times and see how he goes. He brings a lot of insight into the game and definitely knows his stuff, and there could be some comedy as well that he produces.
He is honest and I believe what you hear from him will really be his ideas, we just don't know how he will translate his words on the screen, lol.
Fitz
Never liked Foreman as a commentator. I don't hear him all the time, because we are here in Australia, though I do hear him when I download some cards that he is on.
He has said a few really stupid things during fights (I remember the Hopkins-Trinidad) and several others. Where he actually sounded like a casual fan which was the most surprising. I then began tuning out when ever he spoke and then took whatever he said with a grain of salt. The funny thing is, he is a really likeable guy on camera when I seen him on talk shows and so on. But he is probably one of the more terrible guys for me to listen to when about boxing.
He may know his stuff, as someone said earlier, he seems to get attached with the HBO fighters and was something I noticed when most of the stupid shit he says comes out, and probably because of that, I just don't pay any attention to him anymore.
D-MARV
Roy was 10x better than Foreman.
Fitz
Roy is much better than him. I liked listening to Roy on the few chances I did.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 2 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Roy was 10x better than Foreman.

I have been watching all of HBO boxing for over 20 years. Foreman was horrible at best. The ONLY thing he was good for was his off the wall funny comments once in a while. He had terrible insight. Roy was great all around IMO. By far he was my favorite, and had great intelligent insight which always made sense.
Romulus9
I liked Foreman but I thought Jones was a better commentator:

From the Golota-Brewster fight:

[following the second knockdown 10 seconds into the fight]

Lampley: "This is the Golota who froze against Lennox Lewis."

Roy: "No it's not. No it's not! This is the Golota that just got the hell knocked out of him by Lamon Brewster."

Lampley: "That's a very good point."

Roy: "He didn't freeze. He got iced."

We need more of that.
neophyte7
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 2 2010, 07:17 PM) *
I liked Foreman but I thought Jones was a better commentator:

From the Golota-Brewster fight:

[following the second knockdown 10 seconds into the fight]

Lampley: "This is the Golota who froze against Lennox Lewis."

Roy: "No it's not. No it's not! This is the Golota that just got the hell knocked out of him by Lamon Brewster."

Lampley: "That's a very good point."

Roy: "He didn't freeze. He got iced."

We need more of that.

ROY Jones talking about someone getting iced LMAO--- he is one to talk after being KTFO in viscious fashion. Surely the hell was knocked out of him LMAO
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 3 2010, 06:40 PM) *
ROY Jones talking about someone getting iced LMAO--- he is one to talk after being KTFO in viscious fashion. Surely the hell was knocked out of him LMAO

To be fair, that probably qualifies him even more to pass comment on the situation. He has delivered, and received the ice.
D-MARV
Foreman's commentary at the Lewis-Grant fight was laughable.

He kept talking about how Lewis better be cautious because he's gonna get Knocked out. Meanwhile, Lewis was beating the shit out of Grant with no problems... LOL
Jack 1000
I still want to hear Tyson as a trial. I know that it would be a risky move, but I would just love to see him a few times and see how he goes. He brings a lot of insight into the game and definitely knows his stuff, and there could be some comedy as well that he produces.

Tyson would be the huge ratings boost and would transcend HBO into even more of the causal public. Remember that in the mid-80's people ordered HBO just for TYson fights. He seems like such a loose cannon though. Loved him on Showtime though during Pettway-Brown! ("This is a war!!!!)

Jack
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 3 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Tyson would be the huge ratings boost and would transcend HBO into even more of the causal public. Remember that in the mid-80's people ordered HBO just for TYson fights. He seems like such a loose cannon though. Loved him on Showtime though during Pettway-Brown! ("This is a war!!!!)

Jack

Which is precisely why he still did huge numbers on PPV after the Holyfield bite! The very prospect of him losing it on TV is what would turn a ratings boost into a ratings bonanza.

It would be a brilliant move for that, if for no other reason.

That said, the man knows his boxing, is an intelligent guy regardless of the stereotypes (and poor decision making at times), and would be a great fit on that team.

It ain't happening... so get Roy Jones back full time!
salvador
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 3 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Which is precisely why he still did huge numbers on PPV after the Holyfield bite! The very prospect of him losing it on TV is what would turn a ratings boost into a ratings bonanza.

The reason Tyson did huge ratings was because of his style and because there may have never been anything in the history of boxing as exciting as the moments between the stare down and the opening bell of a Tyson fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 3 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Foreman's commentary at the Lewis-Grant fight was laughable.

He kept talking about how Lewis better be cautious because he's gonna get Knocked out. Meanwhile, Lewis was beating the shit out of Grant with no problems... LOL

"Don't waste your punchesssss on bigggg mennn"---hahahaha..This comment cracked me up..

I forget what fight it was in but George started tweaking out cause someone was punching to the chest.."he hit em in the chest,RIGHT IN THE CHEST!!!"..Wish I remembered what fight that was.."It's like a syringe sucking all the life out of you"..

The thing I liked about Lennox and George was when they'd mess up guys names and say some of the weirdest shit while trying to say the guy's name..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jun 3 2010, 06:05 PM) *
"Don't waste your punchesssss on bigggg mennn"---hahahaha..This comment cracked me up..

I forget what fight it was in but George started tweaking out cause someone was punching to the chest.."he hit em in the chest,RIGHT IN THE CHEST!!!"..Wish I remembered what fight that was.."It's like a syringe sucking all the life out of you"..

The thing I liked about Lennox and George was when they'd mess up guys names and say some of the weirdest shit while trying to say the guy's name..

Jones vs. Ruiz or Mayweather vs. Corrales...its one of the two.
kidbazooka1
I like Roy as a commentator i hope he gets a permanent spot.
ViperSniper
I don't remember which fight it was (Tapia fight?) but I've heard Tyson commentate a fight and he was the goods. He really knew how to explain what the fighters were doing in the ring and why they were doing it. Overall just broke fights down really well & gave reason behind it. Also laid out the facts and didn't come across too opinionated which is pretty important when commentating. It really sounded like Tyson was having a good time in the process. But maybe he was having a good day, as I don't think Tyson is really a safe option as he is too unpredictable and isn't the clearest speaker.

Other than the extent of knowledge on the history of the sport, Roy Jones has the exact great qualities as Tyson as he really knows his shit and knows out to translate that into words while backing it with logic on the headsets. Overall though I think Roy would be the safest and best option and would be good for HBO's longevity to have such an icon of the sport that will speak the truth and not cheer lead.

Out of all the boxers I've heard commentate I think Tyson and Jones are by far the most insightful and knowledgeable commentators. Also as much as I can't stand the prick I'd have to say Tarver is pretty good and surprisingly is well spoken.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 4 2010, 12:13 AM) *
Jones vs. Ruiz or Mayweather vs. Corrales...its one of the two.

Good call..I think it might be Mayweather/Corrales..He goes so crazy when he says that shit..It's like a fetish to him..hahaha..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.