Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe turns down Hopkins
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
D-MARV
By Mark Vester

Retired superstar Joe Calzaghe has turned down an offer for a possible ring return in a rematch with Bernard Hopkins. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had approached Calzaghe about a possible Hopkins fight. The Welsh star told Schaefer he would consider the offer. After thinking about it, he ruled out a comeback. Calzaghe retired in early 2009.

He thought hard about a possible comeback and even returned to the gym to begin getting himself back into fighting shape. After a few days in the gym, he realized the hunger to fight again was simply not there.

"There's no truth that I'm coming back," said Calzaghe to Sky Sports. "A lot of boxers come back from retirement but when I retired from boxing, I said I intended to retire and nothing has changed from that. A lot of boxing fans would want to see me come back but at 38, after 27 years in the sport, being a world champ for 11 years, my time is up. I have no desire to fight, to be honest.

"Richard and I spoke about it a few months ago when I was in LA with my girlfriend. I said: 'possibly' and I went away to have some some time to think about it, whether I wanted to do it, who the potential opponents could be. But I went to the gym a couple of times and I realised that I didn't want to. There's always the chance that some big money will be on offer but you shouldn't fight for the money. That would be the wrong reason to go back into it.

"We all need the money but I look at my health, my family and my kids, I look in the mirror and think 'no, I can't do it.' I have come out of my career relatively unmarked and I have ended undefeated world champion, so it's a blessing that I can end my career like that really and I don't want to push it and get greedy and fall back into that temptation that you would always regret for the rest of your life."

Thoughts?

I can respect his decision.
lloyd mayflower
The man is retired. I would lose respect for him if he came back. The way I see it, if you want to retire, do so. It seems to have become one of the in things to do, retire then come back. Joe Calzaghe is no longer a boxer, he is a former boxer, so BHop, Schaefer, Carl Froch and all the newspapers etc should just leave him alone. Thats the way I see it
PR316
I'm not shocked. I didn't believe the comeback rumors were true to begin with.
Romulus9
I don't think it's over yet.

He'll reconsider when his dealer comes back to collect on his bill.

Fitz
Fair call. He said he doesn't have the hunger and that is fine. I prefer that, then some guy showing up for a pay check and not putting in the effort.
Method
Fair call?

For him to say, "There's NO TRUTH to the rumors that I am coming back", only to follow up with, "I was in the gym for a few days to see if I still had it"...OBVIOUSLY if he was in the gym to gauge if he still had it in him, he WAS CONSIDERING a comeback, and if he was considering it, then there at LEAST was SOME truth.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 3 2010, 08:16 PM) *
Fair call?

For him to say, "There's NO TRUTH to the rumors that I am coming back", only to follow up with, "I was in the gym for a few days to see if I still had it"...OBVIOUSLY if he was in the gym to gauge if he still had it in him, he WAS CONSIDERING a comeback, and if he was considering it, then there at LEAST was SOME truth.

Yeah... I caught that too. Calzaghe never came across as a bright guy BUT this is probably a good decison... Stay retired and enjoy the drug game.
Lil-lightsout
Thank God. Who really wants to see these to fight again?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 3 2010, 09:36 PM) *
Thank God. Who really wants to see these to fight again?

Certainly NOT me. The ONLY person I want to see Hopkins in with is Dawson.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 4 2010, 12:16 AM) *
Fair call?

Better to find out in the gym that you don't have it anymore than in the ring like his opponets have...
Fitz
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 4 2010, 10:16 AM) *
Fair call?

He maybe lied about saying there is no truth to the rumours. But his final answer to him coming back was no because he found out he didn't have the hunger in the gym. Which to me is fair enough. Nothing else I can say.
d843
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 3 2010, 02:02 PM) *
I don't think it's over yet.

He'll reconsider when his dealer comes back to collect on his bill.

DAMN!that's cold!but funny!
Snoop
I read the article as Joe thinking about coming back, and finding out in the gym that the fire was gone, which lead to his conclusion that there was no truth to a comeback. I didn't see any mention of "rumors" in the piece. But whatever. Boxers go back and forth on what they say all the time. This is a pretty inconsequential lie if it is one.
Maxy
I doubt he ever had any intention of coming back. What is the point in making a comeback anyway? Yeah, he went to the gym, hit the bag, whatever, but his heart is no longer in it. If you aren't 100% dedicated you will suffer and he knows the hunger has completely gone.
thehype
Thank goodness.

I'm sure he probably thought about it. I mean, if someone is offering you milllions, how can you not think about? Still though, I'm glad he's not...at least not to fight Hopkins. I don't mind these guys fighting, but man, these fights gotta have some kind of meaning behind them. A rematch with Hopkins just has absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
neophyte7
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 3 2010, 09:05 PM) *
Yeah... I caught that too. Calzaghe never came across as a bright guy BUT this is probably a good decison... Stay retired and enjoy the drug game.

calzaghe wants to remain undefeated... he joins the heated discussion of his legitimacy being questioned like Marciano... coke head motherrfucker LMAO

alaganza
Good for Joe and good for boxing. No reason to see him comeback and slap his way to victory.

If you are healthy, made a boat load of money, and you've made a mark in the sport that really can't be erased then you should stay retired.
JD
Credit to him for hitting the gym and realizing quickly that he was not going to put in what he would need to in order to continue.
neophyte7
QUOTE (alaganza @ Jun 4 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Good for Joe and good for boxing. No reason to see him comeback and slap his way to victory.

If you are healthy, made a boat load of money, and you've made a mark in the sport that really can't be erased then you should stay retired.

LMAO.... SLAP HIS WAY TO VICTORY... LMAO-- yeah I don't want to see any more of that shit... I am still searching for the clean punches he landed against Hopkins? Someone (meth I believe) had a avatar of Hop Cal and Cal mounts a slapping assault of 7 or so girl type flurries. He missed all of them and Hopkins in the midst of the flurry landed two crisp counters... this was slow mo, yet the way cal slaps in volume he puts stress on his opponent even though he lands very few punches.. I for one don't want to see his ass in the ring again. Against Hop he would do the same thing and we know he is not fighting Chad Dawson or any live young dogs.. So yeah I would rather not see slappy in the ring again LMAO very good for boxing and Joe that he stay retired. No reason to see him comeback and slap his way to victory. LMAO
Fitz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Someone (meth I believe) had a avatar of Hop Cal and Cal mounts a slapping assault of 7 or so girl type flurries. He missed all of them and Hopkins in the midst of the flurry landed two crisp counters... this was slow mo, yet the way cal slaps in volume he puts stress on his opponent even though he lands very few punches..

Yeah, I remember that. How can anybody think that fucking Calzaghe won that fight after watching that 10 second gif from a 36 minute fight? Hopkins won that fight easily and that gif proves it.
tottenham19
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 5 2010, 03:21 AM) *
Yeah, I remember that. How can anybody think that fucking Calzaghe won that fight after watching that 10 second gif from a 36 minute fight? Hopkins won that fight easily and that gif proves it.

Anyone have it? I'd like to see. laugh.gif
neophyte7
The sarcasm in your posts has a strong scent... somewhat RANK like adult urine... LMAO the 10 seccond gif huh alright... but really that is what Slappy did all night in that bout in my view. He landed very few clean punches against Hop who was unscathed.. Honestly Cal knows he don't have it anymore he was put down on the canvas early in consecutive bouts by old legends. he limped away with his dubious win over Hopkins... I am sure that bout convinced him to leave the sport or atleast reinforced his intentions...

I wish somone had that gif because Cal mounted an assault that came with about 5 girl type slaps.. I remember my girl friend looking over my shoulder while on the site and seeing that avatar and saying "That is why I stooped looking at fights, what the fuck is that" LMAO

Hopkins shoud have known-- when you say publicly "I aint letting a white boy beat me"... especially a high profile caucasion like CALZAGHE you better knock him the fuck out LMAO where the fuck did hopkins think he was. He forgot he was living in AMERIca... HOW DARE you make such a statement and expect to get the judges to score a close bout your way LOL pretty dumb on the part of Hopkins.

Notice when Cal and Hop see each other in the press conference first thing Cal says, " Bernard, you lost to a white boy" LMAO when I heard Cal say that I was rolling on the floor in laughters
JD
Damn white people!
neophyte7
LMAO--the statement Hopkins made I am sure pissed off some Whites and Blacks... while some both Black and White found it amusing.

HOPKINS... BOY... how dare you LMAO
JD
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 08:40 AM) *
LMAO--the statement Hopkins made I am sure pissed off Blacks and Whites while some both Black and White enjoyed it LMAO

I thought it was hilarious.

A lot of the shit Hopkins says is tongue in cheek and that is how you have to take it...Bernard knows what buttons to press. In the case of Calzaghe, he is utterly horrible at shit talking or going back and forth, but at the same time, he seems pretty good at taking it all in stride.

neophyte7
You have a point... I was impressed how Cal handled it... he handled it like he was from the inner city streets in America knowing it was all mind game shit... nothing with malicious racial intent...
JD
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 08:52 AM) *
You have a point... I was impressed how Cal handled it... he handled it like he was from the inner city streets in America knowing it was all mind game shit... nothing with malicious racial intent...

Calzage has that scrapper mentality. That's the one thing Naz always said about Cal...he made a comment to the effect of Calzaghe being the little kid at the playground who is on the swingset and the bully comes over wanting the swing he is on, and coming to take it. The next day, Calzaghe would show up and be on the same swing waiting for the bully to show up again.

Some people are hyper sensitive to shit without actually understanding the dynamic...white, black, or any other color or race. Something like this highlights that, but not even the guy is was directed toward was bothered - instead, he played off it.
Fitz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 10:02 PM) *
The sarcasm in your posts has a strong scent... somewhat RANK like adult urine... LMAO the 10 seccond gif huh alright... but really that is what Slappy did all night in that bout in my view. He landed very few clean punches against Hop who was unscathed.. Honestly Cal knows he don't have it anymore he was put down on the canvas early in consecutive bouts by old legends. he limped away with his dubious win over Hopkins... I am sure that bout convinced him to leave the sport or atleast reinforced his intentions...

I wish somone had that gif because Cal mounted an assault that came with about 5 girl type slaps.. I remember my girl friend looking over my shoulder while on the site and seeing that avatar and saying "That is why I stooped looking at fights, what the fuck is that" LMAO

Hopkins shoud have known-- when you say publicly "I aint letting a white boy beat me"... especially a high profile caucasion like CALZAGHE you better knock him the fuck out LMAO where the fuck did hopkins think he was. He forgot he was living in AMERIca... HOW DARE you make such a statement and expect to get the judges to score a close bout your way LOL pretty dumb on the part of Hopkins.

Notice when Cal and Hop see each other in the press conference first thing Cal says, " Bernard, you lost to a white boy" LMAO when I heard Cal say that I was rolling on the floor in laughters

Yeah more sarcasm again my friend, lol. But seriously, Hopkins is my man. I thought the fight was close, and I can see how someone may have had it for Hopkins (I personally had it for Joe in a close one), but I don't think it's right to think it was a robbery.
I also don't judge fights on how they look after a fight. It was a very scrappy fight by both guys, and it was a close fight. Hopkins was resorting to things that we weren't used to seeing, I don't think he was convinced he was clearly winning the fight either with his actions.
Close fight, but you can't base it on a gif or how someones face looks after a fight.
D-MARV
Calzaghe-Hopkins was FAR from a robbery.
neophyte7
You are right... It was highway robbery LMAO... I bet if we to watch the entire fight in slo mo you would be hard pressed to find 10 clean punches landed by calzaghe in each round... add that to him being floored no way he won and please the beavior that Hopkins displayed was nothing new go back and watch Hop Echols I and II. Hopkins Allen, Hopkins vanderpool.... antics were nothing I had never saw from Hopkins.

I recall Lampley speaking on the Hopkins antics in the Syd Vanderpool something to the fact that he saw in that bout thaT HOPKINS WOULD DO ANYTHING TO TRY AND WIN A FIGHT... LMAO

I may be wrong, but I recall Vanderpool being ducked by Calzaghe? prior to his bout with Hop at Middle he beat Glen Johnson at 168
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 5 2010, 08:58 AM) *
Calzaghe-Hopkins was FAR from a robbery.

I disagree. Boxing fans were robbed, not Hopkins.

The sequel was Slappy v RJJ.
neophyte7
LMAO... I bet if we to watch the entire fight in slo mo you would be hard pressed to find 10 clean punches landed by calzaghe in each round... add that to him being floored no way he won and please the behavior that Hopkins displayed was nothing new go back and watch Hop Echols I and II. Hopkins Allen, Hopkins vanderpool.... antics were nothing I had never saw from Hopkins.

I recall Lampley speaking on the Hopkins antics in the Syd Vanderpool something to the fact that he saw in that bout thaT HOPKINS WOULD DO ANYTHING TO TRY AND WIN A FIGHT... LMAO

I may be wrong, but I recall Vanderpool being ducked by Calzaghe? prior to his bout with Hop at Middle he beat Glen Johnson at 168

But no dis to Cal... he benefits from an era when volume means more than clean effective punching
D-MARV
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 5 2010, 10:19 AM) *
I disagree. Boxing fans were robbed, not Hopkins.

The sequel was Slappy v RJJ.

Now that I can agree with.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 03:25 PM) *
LMAO... I bet if we to watch the entire fight in slo mo you would be hard pressed to find 10 clean punches landed by calzaghe in each round... add that to him being floored no way he won and please the behavior that Hopkins displayed was nothing new go back and watch Hop Echols I and II. Hopkins Allen, Hopkins vanderpool.... antics were nothing I had never saw from Hopkins.

But no dis to Cal... he benefits from an era when volume means more than clean effective punching

I know i'm stating the obvious here, but theres no point in watching the fight in slo mo since the judges dont get that opportunity. If you have to go to such lengths as watching something in slo mo to prove your point that it was a robbery, then, well it wasnt a robbery
tottenham19
BEST STOPPAGE OF ALL TIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2E6sGjNGo4

Slap montage:

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (tottenham19 @ Jun 5 2010, 04:09 PM) *

Whats your point?
neophyte7
sarcasm... Bullshit stoppage

I recall Cal in a fight with Byron Mitchell...

Mitchell floors cal with a right that spins his head around like the bich in the EXCORCIST... Joe gets up stuns Mitchell flurries with 9 punches and about two land.. he then asks the ref to stop the bout and the ref stops the bout.. LMAO
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 5 2010, 10:26 AM) *
sarcasm... Bullshit stoppage

I recall Cal in a fight with Byron Mitchell...

Mitchell floors cal with a right that spins his head around like the bich in the EXCORCIST... Joe gets up stuns Mitchell flurries with 9 punches and about two land.. he then asks the ref to stop the bout and the ref stops the bout.. LMAO

Rule #1 in sales= Always Be Closing (translation; ask for the sale).
lloyd mayflower
Go watch the Mitchell stoppage again. There was fuck all wrong with that one.
neophyte7
QUOTE (tottenham19 @ Jun 5 2010, 11:09 AM) *
BEST STOPPAGE OF ALL TIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2E6sGjNGo4

Slap montage:

@lloyd mayflower " Go watch the Mitchell stoppage again. There was fuck all wrong with that one". huh?

LMAO @ slap montage: LACY was a legit arse kicking by CAL but it was really amazing in the MANFREDO stoppage... what the fuck landed? LMAO Calslappy... King of the volume punching ERA
lloyd mayflower
I personally think Mitchells head hadnt cleared after the KD, he got hit with a few clean shots, and at the point where the ref stepped in hes had just bounced back off the ropes towards Calzaghe after being sent reeling into them, so instead of just saying huh?, why not tell me why you think the fight shouldnt have been stopped
tottenham19
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Mitchell stoppage. You could say it should have went on a little longer because Joe was KD in the round as well but Mitchell clearly wasn't all there.
neophyte7
Just watched it again...Come on... Cal pushed Byron to the ropes.. prior to that he was up from the KD at count of 2 and immediately defended himsefl from the slapping flurries that were not landing. Also there was less than a minute in the round.. CAL did not want to run the risk of getting hit with another sledge hammer right hand and he used a sales pitch to get the ref to stop that bout... This fight should have continued but the hometown boy motioned for the ref to stop the bout. Pure Bullshit. A blind man could see it...
lloyd mayflower
I'm with you on the Manfredo stoppage. That was purely down to nothing coming back rather than Manfredo being hurt, but Mitchell, well it could maybe be argued that he could have continued, but there are plenty of stoppages like that, I think it was fair enough, I think the writing was on the wall personally. If it wasnt Calzaghe this probably wouldnt be an issue, but dont forget, at that stage of his career Joe could actually bang a bit and I feel Mitchell would have been down again pretty soon.

Just like the Bhop points decision, just because you dont agree with the stoppage doesnt make it bullshit. Just cos you dont score a close fight the same as the judges, doesnt automatically make it a robbery. Both the ref and the judges have split second, one chance only decisions to make.
neophyte7
All sports are using some sort of review or replay system. I don't know how, but if refs could look at rounds where they are unsure of the punches landing etc... we would not have guys getting rewarded for punches that don't land. Hell a ref blew the call for the perfect game in Baseball (Detroit Tigers) and replay clearly showed that the UMP fucked up... Judges fuck up a bit two often... a review system should be implemented. When I watched Cal slapping at Hopkins and landing very very few punches in Slo mo it made me think of a review system LMAO--- the guy in the round I mentioned earlier missed damned near every slap thrown at HOP... I know no one will agree, but I feel that all sports need to have a review system. Not sure how in boxing, but just a thought.. escpecially when cuts are ruled butts instead of punches and vice versa...
lloyd mayflower
Football (real football) is THE biggest sport in the world and the ruling bodies have point blank refused to get involved with video refereeing. The thing with boxing is you cant afford to have a fight stop/starting all the time whilst the ref reviews film. Im not really sure how it would be implemented. Altho was there not something in Nevada earlier this year where they brought in some sort of video review system?
BigG
Calzaghe is a very good fighter but everytime I watch the fight I score it for BHOP, 116-111 or 115-112. There is NO WAY Calzaghe landed 230 punches that night.
neophyte7
QUOTE (BigG @ Jun 5 2010, 07:55 PM) *
Calzaghe is a very good fighter but everytime I watch the fight I score it for BHOP, 116-111 or 115-112. There is NO WAY Calzaghe landed 230 punches that night.

LMAO... MOSDEF...
Keith

Its funny how easy it is to try and discredit Calzage... all you have to call him Slappy, lol.....

I have and idea... instead of discrediting Calzage for winning by "slapping" then discredit the 46 guys who lost to a guy who "slaps".

If all he was doing was slapping his way to victory... then why werent his opponents doing anything about it?

Even if you had Hopkins the winner against Joe... how could you shit on Joe for going 45-1 with his only loss coming to an all time great in a close fight?

Fitz
QUOTE (Keith @ Jun 6 2010, 12:30 PM) *
Its funny how easy it is to try and discredit Calzage... all you have to call him Slappy, lol.....

I have and idea... instead of discrediting Calzage for winning by "slapping" then discredit the 46 guys who lost to a guy who "slaps".

If all he was doing was slapping his way to victory... then why werent his opponents doing anything about it?

Even if you had Hopkins the winner against Joe... how could you shit on Joe for going 45-1 with his only loss coming to an all time great in a close fight?

That's what I mentioned in the past before. Regardless, the fight was close. If it was someone like Andre Ward giving Hopkins a close fight, we would be hearing how impressive it was that Ward could make Hopkins fight a competitive fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.