Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miguel Cotto open to rematch with Margarito
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
tottenham19
Source : http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28487

The new WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is open to a future rematch with Mexican rival Antonio Margarito. The tough Mexican handed Cotto his first career loss in 2008 with a TKO in eleven rounds.

Quotes by Golzka, Cotto said he was open to fighting Margarito again if the Mexican's license issue is corrected. Margarito's license to box was taken away in February 2009 by the boxing commission in the state of California. Margarito was found guilty of loading his gloves before a scheduled fight with Shane Mosley in January 2009.

The battle between Cotto and Margarito took place at welterweight. At the present both rivals are fighting at 154-pounds. Margarito would have to reclaim his license to box in the United States for a Cotto rematch to happen.

"If he settles the issue with his suspension and the money is right, it's possible," Cotto said.
Douchebag
I don't know why Cotto would want to put any more money in that faggots pockets.
JD
Revenge...and money in his pockets as well.

Cotto is a fighter at heart and I have to believe he wants to exact his share of revenge on Margarito.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 12 2010, 06:08 PM) *
Revenge...and money in his pockets as well.

Cotto is a fighter at heart and I have to believe he wants to exact his share of revenge on Margarito.

Maybe if the revenge is that Cotto takes 90% of the purse on principle. But Cotto knows that he can't hurt Marg which, along with the fact that Cotto isn't the same fighter he was before the first fight, would seem to be an impossible psychological hurdle to overcome.

Cotto needs at least one more tune up for confidence.
JD
I was referring to physical revenge.

If he believes Margarito's chin was dented...and it may have been...he could want to go in there and try to light it up.
Rivado
Open to a rematch with Big T...?

Cool I will host Cotto's retirement party at my pad and all you fukkers are invited! LOL!
Hittman25
I dont hate him now haha.....BITCHEs
xxxxxx
I don't blame Cotto for changing his mind here if that's the case. I think with Steward he beats Margarito in a rematch and gets his revenge. The fight would be a big fight...maybe one they could put in the new Cowboys Stadium. Cotto would have to box Margarito with a lot of movement. As long as his stamina is good and he picks his spots he could win a UD. Margarito took a BEATING against Mosley and I'm sure Cotto is well aware of that.
Keith

Cotto must love to take beatings...
PR316
Cotto was beating him the first time before he started wearing down. Those first 6 rounds or so was all Cotto, and even rounds 8 and 9 he was consistently landing the cleaner shots, outboxing Phony.

Now I'm not gonna say 100% for sure that Margarito had on his plaster wraps, though there was a picture showing some evidence that he did in one issue of Ring magazine some time back. I didn't see Margarito's last fight but there can't be too much to go on seeing he was out over a year.

I'd watch it. Cotto proved he has the skills to beat him. The strategy is going to need some work, though.
salvador
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 13 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Cotto was beating him the first time before he started wearing down. Those first 6 rounds or so was all Cotto, and even rounds 8 and 9 he was consistently landing the cleaner shots, outboxing Phony.

Now I'm not gonna say 100% for sure that Margarito had on his plaster wraps, though there was a picture showing some evidence that he did in one issue of Ring magazine some time back. I didn't see Margarito's last fight but there can't be too much to go on seeing he was out over a year.

I'd watch it. Cotto proved he has the skills to beat him. The strategy is going to need some work, though.

First of all, Marg had loaded gloves for that fight just like he did with all his big fights - that picture was shown here somewhere and it was clear to me that that was just a normal part of doing business Margarito style.

Marg used to be my favorite fighter because I loved the way his body work wore down opponents - and that's what happened to Cotto. And given that, I disagree with your assessment that Cotto was winning because even though Cotto's shots were cleaner, Cotto was definitely taking more punishment each round and he wasn't getting his weight behind his shots because he was too afraid of getting caught with something in return. Cotto never hurt Marg and Marg was destroying Cotto from the opening bell. Sadly, I think that fight ruined Cotto and Cotto will never have the confidence to fight his aggressive style again.

We'll never know how much the Mosley fight took out of Marg's chin, but Mosley definitely had the blueprint for how to beat him (get rid of the plaster being rule 1). The thing is, Mosley's plan would require Cotto to keep coming forward and I'm not sure that Cotto has that kind of confidence for that kind of fight with a guy who walked through all his best shots.

I'd definitely watch a rematch and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens. There's a lot of money there and Marg would be taking the very very short end of the stick. I'd love to see Cotto knock Marg into retirement.
Keith
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 13 2010, 12:58 PM) *

I'd have to disagree. Cotto might have been winning the rounds on the scorecards but he was already losing the battle as early as round 2. Margarito was putting a lot of leather on him even in the first 6 rounds.
streetlion1
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 12 2010, 06:02 PM) *
I don't know why Cotto would want to put any more money in that faggots pockets.

I agree...I wouldnt give Margacheato another fight if I was him. I dont think Cheato should of been allowed to fight again.

Cotto was giving Cheato a boxing lesson when they fought until the bricks in Cheatos gloves started taking thier tole.
SmartyBeardo
Margarito? Ain't that toilet bowl punch?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I truly don't believe he had illegal wraps against Cotto, and I know I've already put my reasoning behind that. I also don't think he knew that his trainer was loading the wraps against Mosley. However, these are just my opinions.

This is why I hope the rematch gets made. He's never looked good at 154, which could explain why he didn't KO his last opponent. Also, he did drop him in the first round, so he still has some power. Go back and look at round two of the first fight. Margarito hurt him in that round, and drove him back with a body shot. I'll say it, there is no way Cotto beats him in a rematch. Cotto can't deal with pressure fighters, and it has shown when the heat was turned up against Clottey, Mosley, Margarito, and Torres. He's struggled in all those fights. Hell, Clottey beats him if he just lets his hands go in the late rounds. Styles make fights, and this is one of those fights that is terrible for Cotto. Margarito would do the same thing in a rematch. Cotto will start out boxing well, but that body attack will slow him down. He will resort to running corner to corner in the middle rounds once again. He did it against Clottey too. However, Margarito will go in for the kill and stop Cotto. Anybody that thinks Cotto was giving Margarito a boxing lesson in that first fight really needs to go and watch that again. Cotto was scoring points and "looking pretty", but Tony was breaking him down round after round.

I'd love to see the rematch, but I doubt it happens. Cotto does not have to fight him in all fairness. Margarito was out of the ring 16 months, and caught with an illegal substance on his gloves. Cotto has every right to make Margarito earn a significant win before taking a rematch. Cotto is the champ, so it's his court.
salvador
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 14 2010, 11:38 PM) *
Cotto is the champ, so it's his court.

I don't think Cotto, Marg, or Arum care about a belt or if Marg "deserves" the fight. Cotto is looking to make as much money as he can in the next 2 or 3 fights and retire. If Marg is the money (and he can be if he's willing to take the very short end of the stick and if DLH is out of the picture), Marg will get the shot.
D-MARV
I personally don't think it would be wise for Cotto to fight Margarito in his next fight. He would be best served to fight Cory Spinks are Vanes M before he fights another pressure fighter. I agree with the notion that Cotto does not do well with pressure fighters. Margarito beats him again.
JLUVBABY
just thought id throw this in.... clotteys nae should be used on a very limited basis on the forums... lol... it was God awful watching the dog come out of him vs pac... that guy doesnt have have the higher gears to compete at the highest level.. im jokin to an extent but i hate the guy now...
Method
Why would Marg have to agree to take a "very short end of the stick"?
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 15 2010, 12:04 PM) *
just thought id throw this in.... clotteys nae should be used on a very limited basis on the forums... lol... it was God awful watching the dog come out of him vs pac... that guy doesnt have have the higher gears to compete at the highest level.. im jokin to an extent but i hate the guy now...

I'm not mad at Clottey... Arum and Jerry Jones made him an offer he could not refuse.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 15 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I'm not mad at Clottey... Arum and Jerry Jones made him an offer he could not refuse.

im sure d... but that shit was hard to watch.. and i watched that b.s live... it became pretty obvious that when clottey landed he was backing pac up and had his head bobbin like a bobble head doll... that was like watching mollasses flow up hill this guy in front of pac that was hurting hi not fight back... i put miles on the cadi for that b.s man... lol...
salvador
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 15 2010, 11:08 AM) *
Why would Marg have to agree to take a "very short end of the stick"?

Because who else would fight him on USA TV PPV? What other choices does Marg have that remotely compete with Cotto?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 15 2010, 11:27 PM) *
Because who else would fight him on USA TV PPV? What other choices does Marg have that remotely compete with Cotto?

A pitbull in Tijuana?
Jack 1000
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 13 2010, 11:58 AM) *

I think I had Cotto slightly ahead at the stoppage. Can't remember. I know it was no more than two points on either side, but it was very close.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 16 2010, 12:27 AM) *

Last I heard, he was Pacquiao's back-up plan.
Lil-lightsout
I know I should never support that piece of shit AM, but if him and Cotto would fight again, I would surely watch it.

It is actually a toss up fight for me, considering what Shane did to AM.
Big Slim Sweet
There's no doubt in my mind that Margarito had illegal wraps when he fought Cotto, and those bricks did a hell of a lot of damage. That being said, Margarito's style remains all wrong for Cotto and if he can still take his shots he likely still beats him late.
SmartyBeardo
Margarito? Is that a new corn chip flavor?
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 18 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Last I heard, he was Pacquiao's back-up plan.

If Pac gets in the ring with Marg or Williams then we know for damn sure he's on something - or that Roach is on something.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 19 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Margarito? Is that a new corn chip flavor?

lol....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.