Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17yr old girl gets punched in the face by cop for jaywalking
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Snoop
Here's something that happened a couple days ago that's causing all this controversy here in Seattle. Some people think the cop took it too far, while others thought he was totally justified. I personally thought the punch wasn't necessary and that he punched her more out of anger and frustration rather than "having no other discourse", but at the same time it was stupid of her to put her hands on a cop (and jaywalk across one of Seattle's busiest streets for that matter).

Thoughts?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96353934.html

JD
LOL...If me and my buddies went at a cop like that, we would get a beating and rightfully so.

If you don't want to get hit with a night stick, tased, or worse - don't put your hands on a cop. I am fairly certain that if she or her friend hadn't touched him, things would have gone a lot better.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 17 2010, 11:12 PM) *
LOL...If me and my buddies went at a cop like that, we would get a beating and rightfully so.

If you don't want to get hit with a night stick, tased, or worse - don't put your hands on a cop. I am fairly certain that if she or her friend hadn't touched him, things would have gone a lot better.

There was a whole radio segment on this where one caller called in and said, "The police could have pepper sprayed her, tazed her, but they had to PUNCH her?", which was followed by another calling saying, "As a person who has been pepper sprayed, tazed and punched by the police, you'd much rather be punched."
JD
I mean...if he tazed the two girls would it have been better?

I don't know, to me, you put your hands up showing no aggression and you talk to them. You don't push them, wrestle with them and scream at them...they are police officers, and while they may not always be fair, that approach is the most counter productive possible.
KookedKrack
I've been pepper sprayed and that shit fucking SUCKS .....I would rather take a punch any day.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 17 2010, 11:39 PM) *

I don't know, to me, you put your hands up showing no aggression and you talk to them. You don't push them, wrestle with them and scream at them...they are police officers, and while they may not always be fair, that approach is the most counter productive possible.

Though it sounds strange, tazing them might have looked better. (Of course definitely worse for the girls)

What I mean by that is it would have looked more professional. My only grip about the punch is that it looked more like decision-making based on emotion rather than on rationality, and while police officers are human, I didn't think the situation was "dangerous" beyond some obnoxious teenage girls.

Don't get me wrong, the girls were foolish to be acting that way in the first place, but it doesn't help the situation to punch one of them in the face (especially with no backup and surrounded by pissed off community members) when you could just as easily snatch them up and handcuff em like he did with the other girl.
Snoop
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Jun 17 2010, 11:50 PM) *
I've been pepper sprayed and that shit fucking SUCKS .....I would rather take a punch any day.

I've been maced before and that shit is excruciating. I'd rather be punched as well.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 12:04 AM) *

That's fucked up, but why is it relevant?
Fitz
Girl getting hit in the face. Just like your thread title. I didn't even watch your video.

I don't know. We have two titles.

"17 year old gets punched in the face for jaywalking"

"girl gets punched in the face for not giving phone number"

You seem like a smart enough guy to get something in common from those vids, no?
D-MARV
To be honest,

Those bitches got what they deserved. You don't EVER put you're hands on a cop. Like JD said, if that were me, I would have been beaten and 5 or 6 other cops would have jumped in to join the party. The one girl was blatantly resisting arrest and she deserved to get body slammed to the pavement. I wish I knew more detail but from what I saw, the cop did NO wrong.
D-MARV
as far as Fitz's video... That's just a fucking shame. That dude deserves to be tortured.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 01:31 AM) *
Girl getting hit in the face. Just like your thread title. I didn't even watch your video.

I don't know. We have two titles.

"17 year old gets punched in the face for jaywalking"

"girl gets punched in the face for not giving phone number"

You seem like a smart enough guy to get something in common from those vids, no?

LOL. Fair enough, but I thought the part about the cop would be the emphasis, not the fact that a girl got punched.

It's like saying, "Basketball Diaries" and "The Air Up There" are similar movies because they both have basketball in them. laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jun 18 2010, 11:35 AM) *
LOL. Fair enough, but I thought the part about the cop would be the emphasis, not the fact that a girl got punched.

It's like saying, "Basketball Diaries" and "The Air Up There" are similar movies because they both have basketball in them. laugh.gif

Haha, to be honest, there was some relevance. I came across that video a few days ago, why would I start a new thread about it, when I can just post it somewhere that is some what relevant?
Nobody wants about 20 different threads on a page with 1,2 replies. If you can get away with sharing a thread and no spamming up a whole page with lots of little ones, I will do it. I'm sure thehype appreciates my thought process as well, as I save on bandwidth.
I did the same thing the other week to Keith. He posted a video on that drummer, I posted another video of some drunk drummer. If I have a video to share, I will attempt to share a thread, if it won't generate much discussion.
Have you ever been to a forum where the whole page is.

"girl hit in face"
"guy falls over"
"amazing video"
"funny joke"
"funny pics"

with all threads having 0, 1, 2 replies. It sucks like that.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 03:04 AM) *
Haha, to be honest, there was some relevance. I came across that video a few days ago, why would I start a new thread about it, when I can just post it somewhere that is some what relevant?
Nobody wants about 20 different threads on a page with 1,2 replies. If you can get away with sharing a thread and no spamming up a whole page with lots of little ones, I will do it. I'm sure thehype appreciates my thought process as well, as I save on bandwidth.
I did the same thing the other week to Keith. He posted a video on that drummer, I posted another video of some drunk drummer. If I have a video to share, I will attempt to share a thread, if it won't generate much discussion.

"girl hit in face"
"guy falls over"
"amazing video"
"funny joke"
"funny pics"

There's definitely relevance, I just think it takes away from the focus of the original video. Valid point overall though.
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jun 18 2010, 01:21 PM) *
There's definitely relevance, I just think it takes away from the focus of the original video. Valid point overall though.

Ok, in the future. I should probably wait for the discussion to end and die, and then introduce a few video to discuss. I will watch the video you posted and try to get it back on top though.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 17 2010, 10:04 PM) *

"girl hit in face"
"guy falls over"
"amazing video"
"funny joke"
"funny pics"

I understand your point. I do the same as well but most of my post in the general section goes in the potluck thread.
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 18 2010, 04:16 PM) *
I understand your point. I do the same as well but most of my post in the general section goes in the potluck thread.

I do that when there is literally no thread I can lump it with. But I feel more discussion would have happened here than in the pot luck thread, and the video I posted isn't standing out like dogs balls. It's still relevant.
Pot luck thread is good, but I get the feeling nobody actually discusses much in there. It feels like people dump stuff in there, people look at it, keep the opinion to themselves. Doesn't seem like many pay attention to it. Just a thread where people dump posts that don't have a home, or worthy of a new home.

laugh.gif
Fitz
Watched the video, and good on the cop. You act like savage animals, you get treated like one. Like JD said, it's pretty much common sense. Police are already known as guys on power trips as it is. You try to get aggressive, well that will never work out well for you.
The cop was doing his job, he wasn't aggressive or being physical until they did. They were the ones being the aggressive ones. It always makes me laugh when women always fight to be treated as equals. When it isn't convenient, they want to follow different rules.
I don't believe in hitting women, but it was a police officer, all it requires is common sense. Don't want to get hit by a police? Do as they say, try to be civil. Act hysterical, be physically and verbally aggressive. Well, it will pretty much end like this about 10/10 times. She has a slit down stairs and wrongly assumed she had different rules for her.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jun 18 2010, 01:35 AM) *

Yeah one is a good movie & one fucking sux.

As for the OP those women got what they deserved.

Both should be charged with offensive language, threatening behaviour, assault on police, resisting arrest & so on. She commited a crime however minor it was & the cop caught her. Now I hate cops but what the fuck they are the law & you don't have to respect them but you gotta fear the consequences of fucking with them.
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 02:25 AM) *
I do that when there is literally no thread I can lump it with. But I feel more discussion would have happened here than in the pot luck thread, and the video I posted isn't standing out like dogs balls. It's still relevant.
Pot luck thread is good, but I get the feeling nobody actually discusses much in there. It feels like people dump stuff in there, people look at it, keep the opinion to themselves. Doesn't seem like many pay attention to it. Just a thread where people dump posts that don't have a home, or worthy of a new home.

laugh.gif

You could've put it in the 'beatin women' thread...and honestly, Snoop's video could've gone in there too.

I'm not sure why you guys have gone soft on beatin' on the opposite sex.
Snoop
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *
You could've put it in the 'beatin women' thread...and honestly, Snoop's video could've gone in there too.

LMAO. Goddamit I give up. Fitz you were right.
Fitz
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 18 2010, 10:09 PM) *

Pffffftttt

I'm going to use this one for my av.
Fitz
What an amazing av. The red totally goes with the fighthype theme.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 03:55 PM) *
What an amazing av. The red totally goes with the fighthype theme.

laugh.gif

Alright, alright. I get it.

laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 17 2010, 06:39 PM) *

I think tazing would have been better..Punching a chick in the face is crazy..Was the cop in that much danger to punch her??No..Bogus!!
JD
One was wrestling with him, and while that was happening, the other went at him.

She is lucky she only got punched.
King Eugene
Holler, scream, shout, and curse all you want but you better not touch them.
D-MARV
That one chick decided to get bold and jump in... she got buck and got dealt with. I applaud the officer.
JD
I mean...you can't really have people just getting physical with police officers and think there are no ramifications.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Agreed agreed agreed.

I have been arrested a couple of times and although I might not have always been sympathetic with what I was being arrested for (well maybe in one occasion they were pretty right to do what they did) it is always futile to resist arrest.

You are only going to make the situation worse. All you can really do is follow the instructions, get cuffed, go back to the station and if you have a gripe take it from there. Many cops are buffoons without a doubt, but to inflame the buffoon is a pretty dumb move.

I just thought the whole thing was pretty funny. I hope those girls have learned their lesson. Instead they'll probably hire Gloria Albright and end up walking away with a multi million dollar payday.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 19 2010, 12:57 AM) *
Agreed agreed agreed.

I have been arrested a couple of times and although I might not have always been sympathetic with what I was being arrested for (well maybe in one occasion they were pretty right to do what they did) it is always futile to resist arrest.

You are only going to make the situation worse. All you can really do is follow the instructions, get cuffed, go back to the station and if you have a gripe take it from there. Many cops are buffoons without a doubt, but to inflame the buffoon is a pretty dumb move.

I just thought the whole thing was pretty funny. I hope those girls have learned their lesson. Instead they'll probably hire Gloria Albright and end up walking away with a multi million dollar payday.

Damn... arrested a couple of times! laugh.gif

I agree somehow they will get some lawyer and get some cash out of this.

While I agree everybody should be treated equally, somehow cause they are women, and one got punched, that cop is screwed. Does not help he is white and the females were black either IMHO.

Personally I think using force to control the situation is fine, but was the punch really needed at that point? I will have to watch it again.

Also. Damn Fitz is got me rolling lately. Seems like everyday he's pissing someone off here, and bickering back and forth with someone. laugh.gif
BigG
The cop shouldn't have punched the cousin. She didn't physically harm him she just pushed him off.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2010, 01:39 AM) *
Don't get me started on you, asshole laugh.gif

Just kidding man. I haven't been that bad have I? In this thread, I don't think I was arguing with snoop, I thought we were being civil, and had some fun over this stupid shit, haha. But I have always bickered with people back and forth, I have tried being less of an asshole and not always argue, but I get bored and find myself boring as a poster laugh.gif
Have I really been that bad lately? I thought I was only really bad with Marv? Maybe I have been a bit more bitchy these last few weeks.

LMFAO!!!

Dude... you are like one of the coolest, most knowledgeable, sensible posters on here. I was just busting your chops. It does crack me up though cause in all the years I really don't remember many posters really ever give you shit before. And now all the sudden it's like everyone is fucking with you and you are like going ape shit. laugh.gif

Maybe you are a little "more bitchy" lately though? It is okay though, we all have our times. There are times I remember I took too much stuff way to personal, and let it get the best of me and just brought out the worst in me. Still happens sometimes to me though.

Also, you need not to explain yourself to me or anyone, everybody knows you are a good guy.

I really was just messing with you... asshole. laugh.gif
Snoop
Ok so I'm hearing a pretty unanimous agreement here. But I guess my question is really, do you all think that punching was a response based on rational/procedural thinking or based on emotion? If it's the latter, did the cop (or cops in general) have right to act based off emotions?
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 19 2010, 05:23 AM) *
Also. Damn Fitz is got me rolling lately. Seems like everyday he's pissing someone off here, and bickering back and forth with someone. laugh.gif

Nah man, Fitz is my dude.

But he does like to stir shit up just for shits n giggles. laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2010, 08:22 AM) *
I think the cop has the right to do it based on emotion. Unless he doesn't cross the line for his professionally stand. He is maybe sitting on the fence ethically, which is why this thread has been started. But he did what just about any cop would do when physically confronted. He just has the luxury of being able to do react that way based on human nature and still keep in line. Most people will react emotionally to someone coming at them physically whether they are unemployed, a constructer, a salesman, a mechanic or whoever the hell it is. At the end of the day, a police is still a human. Of course when they put their uniform, they can't just switch off emotions just like that. Things that piss them off out of work, will probably piss them off during work as well. They just have the privileged of reacting the way they do, and still doing their job.

I see your point, like I see everyone else's point in the thread, definitely. But I guess because we give law enforcement so much authority in our lives, I would expect a better ability to control emotions. I think he was well within his right to put her in a half nelson and handcuff her ass (like he did with her friend), but the punch gave it more of a street fight feel, like he was almost just being part of the situation rather than controlling it. Plus, being alone with no backup, surrounded by on-the-edge community members slowly inching in on the situation, just escalates the whole thing IMO. He's lucky Seattlites are so damn passive-aggressive. laugh.gif
neophyte7
she resisted arrest and then the girl who pushed the cop deserved to be punched in the face. women in this country better check themselves... you don't push an officer trying to make an arrest... he should have hooked off on the unruly bitch again... I once saw a female smack a cop... he backhanded her ass with great technique... I loved it.

people kill me always defensing women when they are wrong. if she got would have gotten slammed she brought it on herself. no wrong no harm
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (BigG @ Jun 19 2010, 05:27 AM) *
The cop shouldn't have punched the cousin. She didn't physically harm him she just pushed him off.

She assaulted a cop. You gonna do that make it worthwhile because either way you gettin charged at best & charged, locked up & a beatdown at worst.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Was the Punch justified? Was it the best course of action? I say it was, just as a tazer shot, a kick to the ass or anything else to stop the situation would have been justified. The cop was alone and surrounded, and it was quickly getting out of control. The Snuffed the situation out as he should have. The girl didnt get punched in the face for jaywalking either, she got punched for laying her hands on a cop and interfering with an arrest
Snoop
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jun 20 2010, 11:26 AM) *
Was the Punch justified? Was it the best course of action? I say it was, just as a tazer shot, a kick to the ass or anything else to stop the situation would have been justified. The cop was alone and surrounded, and it was quickly getting out of control. The Snuffed the situation out as he should have. The girl didnt get punched in the face for jaywalking either, she got punched for laying her hands on a cop and interfering with an arrest

My whole thing is that I thought it made the situation worse because he may have snuffed her behavior, but it sure got everyone else around riled up.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Alright, I watched the video and have a couple opinions that haven't been discussed. First of all, this cop is lucky this didn't ignite an entire race riot. That cop is lucky he didn't die in that situation. What if somebody else pulls a gun, and he's there alone? I don't see anything wrong with the punch, as he felt the need to control the situation. Pepper spray or mace would have ignited the crowd as much as a punch too.

Also, it seemed like that cop had such a struggle with that woman? Aren't officers trained to take down suspects quicker and with more ease than that? Resisting arrest was so stupid, and her cousin getting involved was even more stupid. Jaywalking isn't exactly a serious offense, and the officer may have just let them go with a warning if they cooperate and are nice. I drive a red car, and get pulled over all the time for the dumbest shit. They just wanna see if they can rile you up. If you're calm and respectful they let you go. I've talked my way out of more than a couple tickets. People can be so stupid, and people forget that fact. Instead, they get caught up with the officer punching the girl. Well, maybe if these two idiots were calm from the get-go, this wouldn't have happened. I'm not going to blame a cop for making an impulse decision he felt necessary. He's being attacked by two people, what do ya do?

This incident also emphasizes stereotypes of blacks and whites in America. Racism sucks and is stupid, but to me this is the shit that keeps it going both ways. You all may disagree, and that's fine, but these types of incidents give both races a poor reputation.
Snoop
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 21 2010, 03:11 AM) *
Alright, I watched the video and have a couple opinions that haven't been discussed. First of all, this cop is lucky this didn't ignite an entire race riot. That cop is lucky he didn't die in that situation.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. Wrong or right, it was a foolish decision by the cop. Like I said, he's lucky Seattlities are so passive-aggressive.
neophyte7
FUCK THE RACE CARD... black bitches for the most part exhibit zero race consciousness and in defense of a unruly black bitch who want to say that this was racial... again and the stupid ass was still resisting arrest to the point that the cop had to use more and more force... Only in America are women this damned lawless. I would have knocked the bitch out ... or i might have taken off my size 15 and smacked in her weave filled head. I for one was doing security at a club and was breaking up a fight only to have a bitch smack me in the face: My size 15 Nike was all upside her face. Afterwards about 10 white dudes said that was the coolest response they ever saw (girl was white)... I got shots of Jack Daniels all night. I am Black... the unruly bitch deserved what she got... she will know next time to HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT- IF I HAD PUSHED THE COP i WOULD BE SHOT AND that would be extreme, yet you don't get physical with COPS. period
Run and Gun Game Calls
Again i dont feel the punch was foolish. He snuffed out the situation. If he had slammed that first bitch onto the pavement right off the bat instead of trying to be gentle, peeps would still be saying he made the wrong decision for bouncing her dumb ass off of the pavement. he handled the situation, and the girls were arrested, end of story.

Justified force
lloyd mayflower
Just got round to watching the video. That cop was lucky he didnt get filled in there. As for punching the bitch, well, Im pretty sure he would have punched me, but what I noticed more than anything else on that video was how pathetic his attempts were to arrest her in the first place. I dont know if he was apprehensive cos he was alone, if hes a shit cop or what, but even after he punched her he was fucking feeble. As soon as he decides to arrest her he should have slammed her face onto the bonnet of his car and cuffed her, if she resists that, then throw her onto the pavement, and get your elbow right on her face, pressing it right down so she can hardly speak. Maybe even tell her that if she doesnt play nice your going to slam your fist right into her temple.

In summary, bitch deserved it, cop was gay
ROLL DEEP
Whether the girl was black or green and whether the police officer was yellow or orange, the cop was right to do what he did.

If the crowd want to pull the race card....well, then they're the racist ones, right?

You don't try and stop a cop arresting someone....let alone placing your hands on them, so she got what she deserved imo.

Plus, we all got to watch the fottage and have a laugh.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 21 2010, 07:58 AM) *
Wait, I noticed the bold part. Was the issue for you about her being black?

I'm more focused on the rational during such a heated situation. I mean if he did this shit in Baltimore, LA or NY, things probably woulda gotten WAAAAYYY outta control. And we can argue to death that the cop was right, he should have hit her, blah blah blah, but it wouldn't change the fact as to what happened and that he should have been more calculated in his thinking.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
About seven years ago, in North Minneapolis, an officer fired at a suspect. The bullet deflected off the curb and hit a child. Now this was an accident. The whole community rioted that night, and even tipped over a news truck. They set anything they could on fire, and racial tensions were pretty high. That's the only reason I brought the race card out. The cop did have the right to do what he did, and I mentioned that. The women were acting really stupid, and putting your hands on a cop is a no-no. I'm not saying what the cop did was wrong or too extreme. All I'm saying is, if that shit happened in certain parts of North Minneapolis or other areas, that cop would be dead on the sidewalk. You are all right too, if anybody touches a cop they're getting hit or tazed. All I'm saying is, it's sad that this incident emphasizes stereotypes.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Maybe the cop would be dead, and maybe he would have shot the next ass who laid their hands on him. dont assume that just because he was alone, that he cant defend himself in a life and death situation . his biggest mistake was trying to take it to easy on the first girl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.