Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Protecting fighters like Khan
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
EpTXCHAMP
I am tired of Promoters babying these guys like Khan. I mean he got served up a nice plate of pudding with pillows Paulie, now word is next he'll get a serving of the winner of the LIGHTWEIGHT show down between Juan Ma and Diaz give me a break this is killing boxing. Boxing and HBO especially needs to stop handing over money and more importantly DATES over to protected fighters.

Now before people say its the promoters job to make money, or to make sure they dont rush their fighters, I believe Khans amateur background is very good and doesnt need anymore protection he got his victories after being KO'D so dont feed me the confidence needs to come back line! I'm not a Khan hater if anything this is more against GBP shoving another potential predicitable fight down our throats! sub in Soto or Judah hell even Casa and get a 140 tourney going. I guess all I could do is hope most boxing fans wake up and Boycott these predictable fights but by the numbers Mayweather-Marq did hope looks to be running thin dntknw.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jun 18 2010, 04:23 PM) *
I am tired of Promoters babying these guys like Khan. I mean he got served up a nice plate of pudding with pillows Paulie, now word is next he'll get a serving of the winner of the LIGHTWEIGHT show down between Juan Ma and Diaz give me a break this is killing boxing. Boxing and HBO especially needs to stop handing over money and more importantly DATES over to protected fighters.

Now before people say its the promoters job to make money, or to make sure they dont rush their fighters, I believe Khans amateur background is very good and doesnt need anymore protection he got his victories after being KO'D so dont feed me the confidence needs to come back line! I'm not a Khan hater if anything this is more against GBP shoving another potential predicitable fight down our throats! sub in Soto or Judah hell even Casa and get a 140 tourney going. I guess all I could do is hope most boxing fans wake up and Boycott these predictable fights but by the numbers Mayweather-Marq did hope looks to be running thin dntknw.gif

i agree 100%... boxing is and will always be a business first but its time that these promoters start realizing that all it takes to make some mega bucks and keep making it is to make the fights and fight cards people want to see... dont like the guy but dana white proved that... don king proved this theory correct back in the early 90s when his cash cow was locked up for rape... its already a foregone conclusion khan beats either of those two fighters... imo... they could have matched him better theres guys like ortiz out there or urango or even a torres if they want to play this kind of game with the kid... in the long run all they are doing is setting him up for failure... once he does step it up to the elite he wont be ready for the heat and he'll be prescotted all over again...
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 18 2010, 04:48 PM) *
i agree 100%... boxing is and will always be a business first but its time that these promoters start realizing that all it takes to make some mega bucks and keep making it is to make the fights and fight cards people want to see... dont like the guy but dana white proved that... don king proved this theory correct back in the early 90s when his cash cow was locked up for rape... its already a foregone conclusion khan beats either of those two fighters... imo... they could have matched him better theres guys like ortiz out there or urango or even a torres if they want to play this kind of game with the kid... in the long run all they are doing is setting him up for failure... once he does step it up to the elite he wont be ready for the heat and he'll be prescotted all over again...

Don king loaded his cards and no promoter will do that now a days. As for Khan it clear golden boy does not want to match him against anyone with pop in their punches. No way they put him in there with Alexander maidana or Judah
PR316
With that chin, I can see why they're protecting Khan. The moment he faces somebody elite, he gets beaten again, probably by KO.
Fitz
Fucking hell you guys. He is literally just coming out on the big stage. Barely out of prospect status. He is 23 years old with 23 fights. He has fought Barrera and Malignaggi, which are good fights for a green fighter at the time and good wins. Too put in into perspective.

Miguel Cotto first stepped up and biggest test at a point was DeMarcus Corley. Cotto was 26-0 at the time and 25 years old. He fought Malignaggi a year later and a year after that, he then had his new biggest test to date, and that was Zab Judah, and was probably about 33-0 and 27 years old.
Take it fucking easy guys. Khan has barely come out of puberty (in boxing) and in his very young stage, has wins over Barrera and Malignaggi. That isn't bad for where he is at. Start making threads like this in 3 years or something and these are still his only big fights.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Fucking hell you guys. He is literally just coming out on the big stage. Barely out of prospect status. He is 23 years old with 23 fights. He has fought Barrera and Malignaggi, which are good fights for a green fighter at the time and good wins. Too put in into perspective.

Miguel Cotto first stepped up and biggest test at a point was DeMarcus Corley. Cotto was 26-0 at the time and 25 years old. He fought Malignaggi a year later and a year after that, he then had his new biggest test to date, and that was Zab Judah, and was probably about 33-0 and 27 years old.
Take it fucking easy guys. Khan has barely come out of puberty (in boxing) and in his very young stage, has wins over Barrera and Malignaggi. That isn't bad for where he is at. Start making threads like this in 3 years or something and these are still his only big fights.

Agreed!
salvador

yep.

Kahn is being groomed to be a great well rounded fighter. I think Arum brought Cotto along perfectly and I think Kahn is getting the same kind of professional management.
SmartyBeardo
JMM could possibly Liddell his ass.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 18 2010, 10:10 PM) *

When I read this it felt like you where hollering!
laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jun 19 2010, 07:23 AM) *
now word is next he'll get a serving of the winner of the LIGHTWEIGHT show down between Juan Ma and Diaz give me a break this is killing boxing.

Yep, fighting for undisputed linear world titles is killing the sport.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club

Stop making sense Fitz!

Agreed, very good post. I'd like to add that there were more than a few wise heads on these boards who gave Paulie a shot in that fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jun 18 2010, 10:34 PM) *
When I read this it felt like you where hollering!
laugh.gif

Yup... Fitzy has been grumpy for a while now.
JLUVBABY

fitzgerald... the problem with khan, well for me the problem with khan is since his loss to prescott he has shown to be a very good quality fighter... a better quality than what should be feasting on fighters he knows he can beat... the best example i can give is like watching a thourough bred gold medalist come out of the olympics then fight 20 fighters in a row that are just tomato cans... chin or no chin it is obvious his skill level should have him fighting a better quality fighter than diaz or marquez who both have seen better days number 1 and both should be fighting no higher than lightweight... just saying.. i have enough respect for khan to see he should be fighting a better caliber of fighter..
EpTXCHAMP
so does Khan's olympic amateur background account for anything? I mean I could see these pampering if he picked up the sport late. Also I see the cotto comparisions winning the title at 23 etc except for one thing arum didnt feed him guys who couldnt crack or box. For example people questioned cotto's chin he gave cotto a hard puncher in Torres even Corley had pop alot more than paulie (who cotto destroyed when they fought) for example. Second, rumblings were he couldnt handle a skilled boxer he fed him Zab Judah who was no Washed up Barrera.

In other words Arum didnt protect cotto from his weak points, Like GBP is doing for Khan by giving him guys who cant crack or are natural lightweights as in barrera and Juan Ma.

I bet anything in two years were still not going to know much about Khan especially if they keep up with this match making.
Lil-lightsout
As of right now, I see nothing wrong with what they are doing with Khan. I mean he did get totally blasted out of there. Why not rebuild his confidence? It's not like he is fighting total bums. Sure it is careful matchmaking right now, but why would they want to throw him right to the wolves right now for a young guy? You want to protect your investment and build on him to benefit both the fighter and his whole team. He is still young and there is a lot of time for him to step up. There has been far worse cases of fighters over a longer time that have been protected.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 18 2010, 09:51 PM) *
Stop making sense Fitz!

Agreed, very good post. I'd like to add that there were more than a few wise heads on these boards who gave Paulie a shot in that fight.

Here (though I have never been accused of being part of the "wise heads").
SENTRAL
Amir Khan't take a punch though so regardless of how slowly (I'm content with his level of opposition), he moves along it will never be enough to disguise his biggest flaw, his fragility. His team are wise to avoid the big punchers for as long as they can for obvious reasons. I've read he wants to fight the best but Roach saw him get put down in sparring by the young golden boy kid whose name evades me right now and Freddie wisely opted to give him an easier ride. He has good fundementals and a little pop in his shots but he's an accident waiting to happen. So what do they do? Protect him, make some money and then wait for the inevitable fall. Personally I am of the opinion Alexander and Bradley beat him with ease and Maidana knocks him out the first time he brushes that chin.
Hops
A young fighter usually has fragile chin.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2010, 01:50 AM) *
He was fed Judah when he was 29-0 and about 26-27 years old. Up until then, his biggest wins were Quintanna and Malignaggi. Khan is only 23 years old and has about 24 fights, and has wins over Barrera and Malignaggi. He isn't moving up to slowly.

Coming off a longish layoff due to suspension and being embarassed badly by Mayweather and beaten by Baldy and only that shitty 1 round No Contest to get him ready. If I remember correctly Cotto wasn't supposed to have as much trouble as he did in beating Judah.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jun 19 2010, 02:18 AM) *
Amir Khan't take a punch though so regardless of how slowly (I'm content with his level of opposition), he moves along it will never be enough to disguise his biggest flaw, his fragility. His team are wise to avoid the big punchers for as long as they can for obvious reasons. I've read he wants to fight the best but Roach saw him get put down in sparring by the young golden boy kid whose name evades me right now and Freddie wisely opted to give him an easier ride. He has good fundementals and a little pop in his shots but he's an accident waiting to happen. So what do they do? Protect him, make some money and then wait for the inevitable fall. Personally I am of the opinion Alexander and Bradley beat him with ease and Maidana knocks him out the first time he brushes that chin.

Really? I'd be interested to hear more about that.
Maxy
QUOTE (Hops @ Jun 19 2010, 04:03 AM) *
A young fighter usually has fragile chin.

Khans chin may well improve now that he is filling out but I don't think it will ever be solid enough to take a big shot from a big puncher. Man, I saw him almost get KO'd in one of his last amateur fights and feather fisted Willie Limond had him in big trouble.

I've made it clear from day one that I ain't no fan of Khan. His comments, several of them, have put me right off him even more. Not fussed who his next opponent is though, don't see the point in rushing him but I do want him to fight the best next year.
SmartyBeardo
Big John Tate comes to mind.
JLUVBABY
TO ANYONE THINKING KHAN NEEDS CONFIDENCE BUILDING OR MATURING IN ANY WAY BEFORE STEPPING UP HIS COMP, THIS IS MY OPINION ON THOSE THOUGHTS.... i dont think as a champion khans confidence needs any more building.... the guy talks as if he thinks he can beat anyone right now... i'd say his confidence level is on cloud 9... with bradley seemingly gone from the division i'm not saying he needs to fight devon alexander next fight but he wanted to hold a belt and be called champ he needs to fight championship caliber fighters in his weight division... seems to me they are trying to employ that old oscar dela hoya strategy of championship fights where he routinely fought and defended his title against fighters either with no punch or a division smaller than him that where past their prime... that was frustrating to watch especially when you could see he had the talent level to be facing far superior fighters... well the same holds true for khan.... his talent level suggest he should be fighting more dangerous fighters than what they are trying to serve up... he wanted to be a belt holder so he should act like one... you dont win a title to play build the fighter or worry about rushing him and or confidence building.... there are solid contenders out there in that loaded division that deserve shots at the title before any beefed up lightweights and shouldnt have to wait for khan to mature to get it... if khan needed maturing or confidence building still he never should have accepted the title shot and he should have stayed in contender status... its time to man up and be the belt holder he is... he wanted to be called champ well now that he is he should respect the title...
Big Slim Sweet
I don't have any problem with the way they're moving Khan. Paulie was a perfect step-up opponent for him in his U.S. debut and JMM would be another step up I believe from Paulie. (no gimme fight for Khan based on what I've seen so far either). Eventually Khan will need to fight Alexander or Maidana (looks like Bradley may be done with 140) and if they're still maneuvering him away from those guys by this time next year then these protection grumblings will start to make more sense. But for now what GBP is doing with this kid is cool by me.

That W over Barrera was still bullshit though. smile_anim.gif
PR316
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 19 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Khans chin may well improve now that he is filling out but I don't think it will ever be solid enough to take a big shot from a big puncher. Man, I saw him almost get KO'd in one of his last amateur fights and feather fisted Willie Limond had him in big trouble.

I've made it clear from day one that I ain't no fan of Khan. His comments, several of them, have put me right off him even more. Not fussed who his next opponent is though, don't see the point in rushing him but I do want him to fight the best next year.

He does come off like an arrogant little punk. Prior to the Malignaggi fight, he said he was a better fighter than Cotto(He hasn't accomplished HALF of what Cotto has). And then in other interviews talking about how in a year he'll be ready for the likes of Mayweather and Pacquiao when he hasn't even proved he can beat the likes of Bradley, Alexander, Maidana, or even a Zab Judah. PBF and Pacquiao destroy the little punk. Cotto brutalizes him.

Khan is a guy with a decent jab, fast hands, and good athleticism. Nothing more. Not a special guy by any means.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 19 2010, 09:19 AM) *
I don't have any problem with the way they're moving Khan. Paulie was a perfect step-up opponent for him in his U.S. debut and JMM would be another step up I believe from Paulie. (no gimme fight for Khan based on what I've seen so far either). Eventually Khan will need to fight Alexander or Maidana (looks like Bradley may be done with 140) and if they're still maneuvering him away from those guys by this time next year then these protection grumblings will start to make more sense. But for now what GBP is doing with this kid is cool by me.

That W over Barrera was still bullshit though. smile_anim.gif

the guy is a champion... he should be fighting worthy contenders to his belt... if he needed step ups he shouldnt have taken a chamionship fight... am i wrong in thinking this somebody?...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 19 2010, 03:53 PM) *
the guy is a champion... he should be fighting worthy contenders to his belt... if he needed step ups he shouldnt have taken a chamionship fight... am i wrong in thinking this somebody?...

I don't see how JMM can be considered a pushover for Khan. Maybe JMM is through, time will tell, but to me, having no shot against PBF does not mean you have no shot against Khan, lol. I mean, the guy is still the linear lightweight champ. Fighting him does not = taking on a soft touch, IMO.

But like Smarty Beardo said, the whole thing just shows how little titles actually mean these days.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 19 2010, 08:52 PM) *
I don't see how JMM can be considered a pushover for Khan. Maybe JMM is through, time will tell, but to me, having no shot against PBF does not mean you have no shot against Khan, lol. I mean, the guy is still the linear lightweight champ. Fighting him does not = taking on a soft touch, IMO.

But like Smarty Beardo said, the whole thing just shows how little titles actually mean these days.

jmm shouldnt be fighting over lightweight.... the guy has no type of chance against a young lion of a fighter in khan... zilch.. zero... if juan diaz could do to jmm what he did early in that fight khan is gonna bust him up too... khan is a belt holder, he should be fighting legit contenders in his weight division...
EpTXCHAMP
Corley was still not considered a heavy puncher. If anything, he was leaning towards the feather fisted side (though I wouldn't go that far). I don't really understand your point in this one. Testing Cotto's chin? Corely wasn't supposed to be a guy that was going to test it, because he isn't a puncher.

corley was not perhaps a single punch ko guy but he had 15 ko's before the cotto fight and actually stunned cotto in that fight he also popped zab with a few good ones so IMO corley was a good chin tester.bcorley in his prime I bet cracked harder than Juan ma does. As for cottos resume vs khan let's wait till khan is 26/27 and decide.... At this pace I def think cotto's will be superior.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 19 2010, 11:00 PM) *
jmm shouldnt be fighting over lightweight.... the guy has no type of chance against a young lion of a fighter in khan... zilch.. zero... if juan diaz could do to jmm what he did early in that fight khan is gonna bust him up too... khan is a belt holder, he should be fighting legit contenders in his weight division...

I don't agree with your assessment that the linear champ at 135 and future first ballot has no business being in the same ring with a greenhorn belt holder at 140. Sorry.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 20 2010, 12:58 PM) *
I don't agree with your assessment that the linear champ at 135 and future first ballot has no business being in the same ring with a greenhorn belt holder at 140. Sorry.

first time ballot all that stuff is nice but lets be real Juan Ma is going to be 37 in a few months there is a reason boxing has weight classes Juan ma has no business fighting over 135 period! This thinking that smaller guys can pull off these wins is leading to fights like mayweather Marq if they can fool the public and make millions why not make these fights?

lets play greedy promoter here you have a fading fighter soon to be 37 why not set him up with an even more faded fighter one he has already beaten in Diaz and fool the public into thinking Marq still has something left after he beats Diaz then move him up to 140 to be our sacrifice for Khan? This is what GBP is doing to the fans at least Nacho knows it and I believe he even said on ESPN that he would not let Marq be a pawn in their game.

to a previous post someone mentioned his confidence needs to be built up again since he got Ko'd blah blah well haven't they already done that? I mean he has won 5 fights since then 3 coming by Ko and one against a solid opponent in Kotelink and a "first ballot" guy in Barrera lol

Cotto seriously got ko'd by plaster and in less than two years after was feed Josh Clottey and Pac-man now that IMO is a true fighter! Lastly someone said oh he's only 23 well so is Alexander actually a bit younger than Khan and I dont see King or Cunningham mentioning any lightweights as possible opponents for Alexander?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jun 20 2010, 06:02 PM) *
first time ballot all that stuff is nice but lets be real Juan Ma is going to be 37 in a few months there is a reason boxing has weight classes Juan ma has no business fighting over 135 period!

So because Juan Ma got beat by the best fighter in the world at 147 that automatically means he has no business fighting at 140?

You boys are seriously overrating Khan right now.
Mean Mister Mustard
Jluv, a lot of good fighters think they are the shit but how many are really ready? Especially Khan who appears to have a shit chin? Yes he has the talent but he still needs to be put in against a guy who will trouble him just enough to make him work hard. Malignaggi wasn't that guy but it did show us that he will not be easily outboxed.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 20 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Marquez is the undisputed lightweight champion. He ended up stopping Casamayor who was never stopped, despite fighting guys like Corrales, Castillo and Freitas. Marquez stopped him, something nobody has been able to do. He also stopped Diaz, something nobody has ever been able to do.
Doesn't matter, he has had like 23 fights, and has already stepped his competition up accordingly in recent fights with Barrera and Malignaggi. Anyway you slice it, that is a step up from recent competition and he isn't doing it at an extremely slow pace either.
You see fighters like Vargas, and people say he was too green. You bring them up slowly. One year ago, Khan was still a prospect. He isn't being brought up much slower than most guys.
Find me 5 fighters that are equal or lower in age/fights and lets see how much better their resume is than Khan. Also, I noticed when I commented about how having an amateur background doesn't count for much and it means he was a good amateur fighter. It wasn't responded with. He should be brought up just like any young guy should. They shouldn't fast track him purely based on him being good at the olympics.

From earlier.

Campbell had already exposed Diaz and he knocked out Casa on older legs my brother lets be honest Casa was on the way out compared to when he was in his prime against Frietas, Diego and Castillo.

As for your Olympic one I guess I was just spoiled by Guys like Leonard even Meldrick coming from great olympic amateur backgrounds and going straight at it. I see your point for Vargas but I believe he had Tito if not for the low blows did Tito ruin Vargas maybe depends on how you define ruined I mean Vargas still went on to accomplish and make more money then alot of fighters ever will.
I just think Khan having an olympic back ground should count for something opposed to all the guys you hear about picking up boxing at 20 something like Cintron I mean the dude didnt put on a pair of gloves till he was like 22 and was fighting a plastered wrapped Margs by his fourth year as a pro I mean Overall there are numbers of fighters with No Am experience Nada going straight into the fire, I just think when your am experience is good to great the nurturing should not be there as much.

So because Juan Ma got beat by the best fighter in the world at 147 that automatically means he has no business fighting at 140?

You boys are seriously overrating Khan right now.

I am by no means saying khan will be great I wouldnt even put him as a top 5 in the 140 division.

But as mentioned earlier there are weight divisions for a reason. Marq threw all the rocks there were in Mexico drank all the piss possible and still barely hit the scales at 144 It's not that he lost to the best 147 pounder its how he lost I mean no power at all from those 37 year old legs and we just saw if you dont have Prescott Power or even respectable power which Paulie didnt have, Khan can be effective.(side note not saying Marq doesnt crack harder than Paulie but I dont believe at 140 his pop is enough to keep khan back) I still think GBP is gonna fool you guys into thinking Marq vs Khan can be competitive. From me previous post how there gonna set everyone up with him beating Diaz
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 20 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Yuriorkis Gamboa was a gold medallist in 2004, Khan was a silver medallist in 2004. Gamboa is 28, Khan is only 23. Who has Gamboa fought? Are we going to start calling him protected?

Kinda comparing apples to oranges here especially since gamboa didn't turn pro till 25 going on 26 second flyweight ain't as deep right now as 140 so who really is out there just Juan ma lopez really

side note since u never replied to Juan ma beating a faded casa and Diaz what chance would u give him against khan if they were to fight? I'm still trying to figure out if you think a 37 yr old marq at 140 is going to be a tough test
ROLL DEEP

Exactly.

23 is YOUNG. He had a good am career, but the professional is a different game. Not read the rest of the thread yet, but this is what my opinions are.

Come 27-28 and he's still doing what he is now, then yeah, I'd say he's protected. Not yet though. It's too early.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jun 18 2010, 04:23 PM) *
word is next he'll get a serving of the winner of the LIGHTWEIGHT show down between Juan Ma and Diaz give me a break this is killing boxing. Boxing and HBO especially needs to stop handing over money and more importantly DATES over to protected fighters.

I'm not a Khan hater if anything this is more against GBP shoving another potential predicitable fight down our throats! sub in Soto or Judah hell even Casa and get a 140 tourney going. I guess all I could do is hope most boxing fans wake up and Boycott these predictable fights

QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jun 20 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Campbell had already exposed Diaz and he knocked out Casa on older legs my brother lets be honest Casa was on the way out compared to when he was in his prime against Frietas, Diego and Castillo.

You're suggesting Casa would be a more respectable opponent for Khan than Marquez, but then degrading Marquez' KO of Casa as him beating a washed up fighter. Marquez is better than Casa at 130, 135, 140 etc. He's a better opponent for Khan than Casa and a better opponent for Khan than Paulie.

Like Roll Deep said, Khan is only 23. There's plenty of time with this kid. Perhaps your real problem lies with the fact that GBP and HBO maneuvered him into a title this early when everyone in the world knows he's not really ready to just jump in the world's elite yet.
lloyd mayflower
Khan is a victim of his own hype machine. If anyone else had just came into boxing without the olympic thing and came this far this quickly they would be a national fucking hero. Because of how big Khan had got before even turning pro, it was recognised that there was big money to be made. So I would say that a fairer comment to make would be that he has been carefully and intelligentyl matched (With Prescott being the one beautiful exception) with a view to getting him into a money making position, where he is just about at now. Once HBO and Golden boy are satisfied that he is ready to go in with the big boys I dont see Khan being one to duck anyone. At least not till he gets his arse handed to him again.

As a footnote however, I feel it is absolutely necessary to cleanse my soul after that by saying that Amir Khan is a cunt
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 21 2010, 09:11 AM) *
I feel it is absolutely necessary to cleanse my soul after that by saying that Amir Khan is a cunt

laugh.gif

Why don't you like him?
lloyd mayflower
There are many reasons, but if I had to pick a couple that epitomised everything about him, they would be that since the age of 20 he has referred to himself in the 3rd person, and the ways he talks/writes the way he talks. I read the twitter exchange between him and Polly and thinking he sounds like nothing more than an uneducated 11 year old hood rat. Plus hes an arrogant little fucker, plus he claimed he would never fight his mate Hatton then after the Pac fight started touting himself for it saying it would be great.

I could go on
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 21 2010, 09:21 AM) *
There are many reasons, but if I had to pick a couple that epitomised everything about him, they would be that since the age of 20 he has referred to himself in the 3rd person, and the ways he talks/writes the way he talks. I read the twitter exchange between him and Polly and thinking he sounds like nothing more than an uneducated 11 year old hood rat. Plus hes an arrogant little fucker, plus he claimed he would never fight his mate Hatton then after the Pac fight started touting himself for it saying it would be great.

I could go on

Yeah, there is also his "If I was white" comment and his stinking racist trouble making fans.

I could go on too.
lloyd mayflower
laugh.gif laugh.gif
There you go Roll, I feel after some constructive input from Maxy the above reasons listed are a good start!

Anything to add???
ROLL DEEP
Fair enough! Haha.

I've not read too much about what he's said in papers and interviews, etc.

What's he said about 'if he was white'?
lloyd mayflower
I'll leave that to Maxy to give you the details but it was something along the lines of, If I was white id be a superstar by now (I think)
PR316
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 21 2010, 12:38 AM) *
Yuriorkis Gamboa was a gold medallist in 2004, Khan was a silver medallist in 2004. Gamboa is 28, Khan is only 23. Who has Gamboa fought? Are we going to start calling him protected?

I would definitely say Gamboa is protected. Much like Lopez, Arum has steered him clear of the likes of Caballero, John, etc...

Gamboa's chin is suspect too. He's been steered very clear of punchers.
D-MARV
I would like to know what Khan said about being white?
lloyd mayflower
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-superstar.html

There you go lads.
PR316
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 21 2010, 11:05 AM) *
Haha. I personally don't think Gamboa is protected. He is only like 18-0. I am more using the thread starters logic to point that it can be used on other fighters. I personally don't mind fighters being matched carefully early in their career.

I hear ya. But he is 28 now. For a guy who doesn't have 25 fights yet, thats pretty old. And he's promoted by Top Rank.

If he was 23 it would be a different story. But 28 years old and still hasn't fought a recognizable NAME in that division. I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound good to me at all.

His development is gonna be hampered big time.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 21 2010, 06:58 AM) *
You're suggesting Casa would be a more respectable opponent for Khan than Marquez, but then degrading Marquez' KO of Casa as him beating a washed up fighter. Marquez is better than Casa at 130, 135, 140 etc. He's a better opponent for Khan than Casa and a better opponent for Khan than Paulie.

Like Roll Deep said, Khan is only 23. There's plenty of time with this kid. Perhaps your real problem lies with the fact that GBP and HBO maneuvered him into a title this early when everyone in the world knows he's not really ready to just jump in the world's elite yet.

no not at all re read I was stating sub in casa just to get this 140 tourney going! Since gbp doesn't want khan or ortiz in it.

Also Gamboa is 28 but turned pro at 25 almost 26 the guy hasn't been a pro for 3 years yet! Yes greAt am experience but as mentioned his division is not As deep as 140 so having the title @140 means more responsiblity in my book.

I respected that he won the undisputed title but come on let's not over hype it. I can say the same for zab as he became undisputed champ by stopping someone who was never stopped before! But that won't make me say he is anything more than a bottom half contender at 140
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 20 2010, 01:58 PM) *

linear champ or not I cant look at what marquez has done lately and get excited about his chances of winning a fight against khan... linear champ or not he brings nothing to the table as far as this fight is concerned.. from a fight fans stand point id like to see guys get a chance that have a legit chance of winning the fight... jmm looks like shit above lightweight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.