Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs. Bute
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
just read this article and wanted to get you guys feed back or thoughts of what you think about this potential fight?.... personally im not sure its a good fight for hopkins at this point.. i didnt like what i saw vs. jones even though he won hands down... i can see hopkins getting treated like holmes treated ali in this fight (hope im wrong) but i just think its the wrong move for b hop at this point..

hopkins vs bute clash in talks
King Eugene
I think Hopkins will get out before he gets to the point where he is taking beatings like that. I mean you could look at Ali during his training and build up to the fight against Holmes and tell he wasn't going to put up much of a fight. Hopkins still has it in him and I think he'll beat Bute.

The thing about Hopkins last fight was Jones was gun shy and was scared(man that pains me to say) to attack Hopkins. Bute wont, he'll be eager just like Pavlik to get a hold of Hopkins and leave himself open all night to be picked apart.

This will be another scenario where Hopkins is the underdog, comes out victorious, and everybody talks about how great he is for fighting at such an elite level at his age. Same book different cover.
PR316
I would take Bute at this point. He probably outworks and outspeeds Hopkins to a rather tedious points win. Of course Bute's stamina is a question mark still so you never know with Hopkins. He could possibly take him out late.

But the likely scenario I think is that Bute does enough in the early to mid rounds, survives a late scare and hangs on for the win.
Box in Hand
Hopkins don't take fights he doesn't think he can win. And dude trains all year round. Gimme Hopkins in an ugly 12 decision. Pleeeeeasssseee B-Hop retire after this. There ain't nothing left to prove 4 you.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think this would be a bad idea for Hopkins. has he still got it? to some extent yes of course he has but I have started seeing Hopkins react very strangely in 2 of his last 3 fights. calzaghe and more bizarrely the Jones fight. Says to me that maybe his heart isn't quite in it anymore.

I'll go out on alimb and say Bute by stoppage.
D-MARV
LMAO... NO WAY is Hopkins taking a beating against ANYONE. AT Worst he gets outworked by Bute... I like this fight. I think it will be a competitive fight and I think Bute will make Hopkins work. My prediction is Bute takes a close, maybe controversial, decision.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 18 2010, 10:58 PM) *
LMAO... NO WAY is Hopkins taking a beating against ANYONE. AT Worst he gets outworked by Bute... I like this fight. I think it will be a competitive fight and I think Bute will make Hopkins work. My prediction is Bute takes a close, maybe controversial, decision.

Then Hopkins is in trouble. Hopkins doesn't liek to work so much in fights anymore. He is 45 for chrissakes. Doesn't matter who you are if you go on long enough it will get handed out to you one night. crying like a bitch agianst Roy was not agood look and tells me that Hopkins isn't that nasty dog anymore.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jun 18 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Then Hopkins is in trouble. Hopkins doesn't liek to work so much in fights anymore. He is 45 for chrissakes. Doesn't matter who you are if you go on long enough it will get handed out to you one night. crying like a bitch agianst Roy was not agood look and tells me that Hopkins isn't that nasty dog anymore.

thats partially what im thinking...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 18 2010, 07:54 PM) *
I would take Bute at this point. He probably outworks and outspeeds Hopkins to a rather tedious points win. Of course Bute's stamina is a question mark still so you never know with Hopkins. He could possibly take him out late.

But the likely scenario I think is that Bute does enough in the early to mid rounds, survives a late scare and hangs on for the win.

I do not think Bute's stamina is a question mark at all, I think he has excellent stamina. I am thinking you are referring to the first Andrade fight? I would more attribute that ending to his lack of experience. He went in for the kill and tried to do too much trying to impress his fans instead of continueing what was working for him all the preceding rounds. He was over agressive and got caught in return and payed the price. I think he learned his lesson and have never thought or questioned his stamina.

Oh... I would pick Bute in a close decision win over Hopkins at this point. No freaking way does he stop Bernard though.
Maxy
I think Hopkins, although obviously still very capable, isn't good enough to beat someone like Bute right now. I'd see Bute winning a wide decision in a messy fight. Hopkins doesn't work enough to win on points and he won't stop Bute.

Seriously though Bernard....you've had a fantastic career so what the hell is the point in going on? It'll all end in tears, I just hope he doesn't get hurt, be it against Bute or some other young gun.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 19 2010, 06:31 AM) *
I think Hopkins, although obviously still very capable, isn't good enough to beat someone like Bute right now. I'd see Bute winning a wide decision in a messy fight. Hopkins doesn't work enough to win on points and he won't stop Bute.

Seriously though Bernard....you've had a fantastic career so what the hell is the point in going on? It'll all end in tears, I just hope he doesn't get hurt, be it against Bute or some other young gun.

+1.
JD
What is the point of this fight?

I doubt HBO wants this fight.
salvador
At this point Hopkins is about 70% of what he was when he beat Tito, but that 70% is still more than enough to expose Bute as the B-level guy that he is. Bute might get a sloppy hometown decision based on his workrate, but I think it's more likely that Hopkins gets the ko - maybe even early.
Big Slim Sweet
If I'm a young undefeated fighter with a fan friendly style, I stay away from Bernard Hopkins.

I'm just sayin.
Method
Hopkins over Bute all day every day. Even w one arm tied around his back. Bute is NOT impressive.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jun 19 2010, 09:27 AM) *
If I'm a young undefeated fighter with a fan friendly style, I stay away from Bernard Hopkins.

I'm just sayin.

Very good point.

The more I think about it, the better I like this match. It would give BHop a chance to redeem himself from the circus act he stooped to with RJJ. It would be a great exit to an exemplary career (win, lose or draw).
Mean Mister Mustard
Let's not forget that Hopkins has a very good style to beat southpaws. Still, Bute is a pretty accurate fighter with fleet feet and good defense, he's no stationary fighter. If Hopkins is still as good as we think he is maybe he could pull it off but , if he loses, don't expect him to be thourougly outclassed. The man's wits always make a fight closer than it should be.
Keith

Quick accurate punchers expose old slower fighters. Bute has power to boot.

Bute wins easy. It would look similar to Calzage but Bute's ain't slappin.
D-MARV
I think Calzaghe's foot speed bothered B-Hop more than anything. Bute doesn't have that kind have footwork. He hits a helluva lot harder than Calzaghe so Hopkins will probably be on the defense more than he was against Calzaghe. I don't see any outcome other than Bute winning a narrow decision. NO WAY does he blow Hopkins away.
Keith
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 19 2010, 01:48 PM) *
I think Calzaghe's foot speed bothered B-Hop more than anything. Bute doesn't have that kind have footwork. He hits a helluva lot harder than Calzaghe so Hopkins will probably be on the defense more than he was against Calzaghe. I don't see any outcome other than Bute winning a narrow decision. NO WAY does he blow Hopkins away.

We both have Bute winning so your analysis is good with me.

I do think Bute's footwork/speed is close to Calzage's but... His head movement and chin are not on par with Calzage.
PR316
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jun 19 2010, 01:37 AM) *
I do not think Bute's stamina is a question mark at all, I think he has excellent stamina. I am thinking you are referring to the first Andrade fight? I would more attribute that ending to his lack of experience. He went in for the kill and tried to do too much trying to impress his fans instead of continueing what was working for him all the preceding rounds. He was over agressive and got caught in return and payed the price. I think he learned his lesson and have never thought or questioned his stamina.

Oh... I would pick Bute in a close decision win over Hopkins at this point. No freaking way does he stop Bernard though.

Yeah I agree. I don't think Hopkins pulls the trigger quickly enough anymore to consistently get to Bute.

But he's smart and he'll have the wits and craftiness to make it close and ugly.

I picked Hopkins over Pavlik. And I figured he'd beat Jones. But what exposes age is speed. And Bute has enough speed to overwork the old man now. 3 years ago its a different fight. Hell, 2 years ago its probably a different fight.

Hopkins won't get knocked out or dominated. But he'll lose on a decision similar to the Calzaghe fight where he's constantly getting outworked.
JLUVBABY
bute, in the end, overwhelms an aged hopkins... possibly winning by stoppage or very clear cut ud...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 24 2010, 07:50 PM) *
bute, in the end, overwhelms an aged hopkins... possibly winning by stoppage or very clear cut ud...

Bute gets ko'd in 3 if he tries to "owerwhelm" Hopkins.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 24 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Bute gets ko'd in 3 if he tries to "owerwhelm" Hopkins.

salvador... that is a very bold statement... wow... what are you basing this off of? hopkins recent strand of early ko's?...
lloyd mayflower
Sooner or later, no matter what he has achieved or how smart he is in the ring, someone is going to hurt BHop. Its inevitable. At this stage I think its naive for people to say theres no way Bute stops Hopkins, A more accurate statement would be that theres no way Bute stops Hopkins 3 years ago, but now, its very much within the realms of possibilty
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jun 24 2010, 09:17 PM) *
Sooner or later, no matter what he has achieved or how smart he is in the ring, someone is going to hurt BHop. Its inevitable. At this stage I think its naive for people to say theres no way Bute stops Hopkins, A more accurate statement would be that theres no way Bute stops Hopkins 3 years ago, but now, its very much within the realms of possibilty

i'll be so bold to say no way hopkins walks out of that ring a winner... imma fan of hopkins but his best days are over.. like ive always said i have one of his earliest fights on vhs when he was fighting on b.e.t... but when its over its over and the guys JUST ABOUT over... there are still some guys he can beat but bute is just too young and he's slipped more than enough for bute to exploit a lot of what hopkins was once good at making his strong points... you say it best 3 years ago hopkins has this fight but this is 3 years later and hopkins is 3 years older and bute is 3 years more mature in the fight game....
Mean Mister Mustard
I can see where Salvador is coming from; Hopkins, at this stage of his career is better suited to bait guys in and whack them with right hands. His stamina is not what it once was and he can no longer chase a young guy like Bute down. Sure he can still press the action but that requires long breaks that involve mauling and clinches. Even when he fought Pavlik, he was the one backing off and countering. If he tries to press Bute he will get the worst of the action but if the Romanian tries to rush Hopkins, something he's not used to against top competition, he might get a surprise, although I doubt he gets KO'd.

This fight would actually be a good step for Bute. Hopkins has won 3 straight fights and provides a similar style that one of Bute's potential opponents, Andre Ward, might display against him. Plus it's better to see him against Hopkins than against some unheralded opponent that the alphabet orgnization (I don't even know what belt Bute holds) might pit him in againt. At this point the best 168 pounders are frozen in the tournament so Bute either fights some 160 pounder moving up in weight, fights a worthless mandatory, moves to 175 or fighs Hopkins. The first two options would not improve his standing in the division and would actually piss people off. The last two seem pretty good, especially if he fights someone like Cloud or Johnson at 175. Unfortunately, I can see his management taking a mandatory fight or taking on Pavlik. Remember that not too long ago Bute had fought a shopworn Joppy.
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 24 2010, 09:15 PM) *
salvador... that is a very bold statement... wow... what are you basing this off of? hopkins recent strand of early ko's?...

my point is that nobody has tried to "overwhelm" Hopkins, possibly since Tito or maybe JT in their second fight.

Hopkins' only chance against a guy like Bute is the short right hand counter and if Bute tries to make this about overwhelming Hopkins (i.e. getting close enough and staying inside long enough to throw combos in a dominant fashion), Bute's chin is going to get cracked. Bute can't stay close to Hopkins for more than one punch at a time because Hopkins' counters are too short and too accurate - even at 45.

Bute's best fight plan here is footwork from the outside and doing just enough to win each round on points without ever committing himself - like Floyd would.
Method
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 24 2010, 10:24 PM) *
i'll be so bold to say no way hopkins walks out of that ring a winner...

WOW. SOOOOO Bold.

D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 25 2010, 07:27 AM) *
Bute's best fight plan here is footwork from the outside and doing just enough to win each round on points without ever committing himself - like Floyd would.

Just Like Floyd did to Shane... LOL
JD
I hope this doesn't happen.

D-MARV
I really wish Hopkins would just retire. He has nothing left to prove and he would lose this fight.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 25 2010, 07:08 AM) *
Just Like Floyd did to Shane... LOL

More like what Floyd did with Baldomir.
Method
Hopkins beats Bute EAZY!
The CEO
I doubt Bootay is gonna fight Hopkins....

I see him takin' on Jessie Brinkley...in Canada....and then 2, 3 more guys he's supposed to beat...in Canada.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jun 25 2010, 09:53 AM) *
I doubt Bootay is gonna fight Hopkins....

I see him takin' on Jessie Brinkley...in Canada....and then 2, 3 more guys he's supposed to beat...in Canada.

I agree.

He will wait for the Super Six to pound each other into mush and demand an immediate fight with the winner, in Canada.
streetlion1
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 25 2010, 08:31 AM) *
Hopkins beats Bute EAZY!

Thats what I lean toward. I dont get how people think this is a nightmare for B-Hop....I think he wins an ugly but easy U.D. Ugly because I could see there being alot of clinching but I see B-Hop dominating Bute inside with short combinations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.