Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on Tarver going heavy?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
It can't hurt the division.

Can you smell Tarver v JT simmering?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 20 2010, 03:15 AM) *
It can't hurt the division.

Can you smell Tarver v JT simmering?

I think Toney will knock Tarver out at HW.
SENTRAL
Tarver-Toney, now there's a thought. I like Toney big in the event they do fight.
Tarver at heavyweight can't do any harm. Heavyweight is a wasteland so another tomato can added to the brigade won't matter none.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jun 20 2010, 04:36 AM) *
Tarver-Toney, now there's a thought. I like Toney big in the event they do fight.
Tarver at heavyweight can't do any harm. Heavyweight is a wasteland so another tomato can added to the brigade won't matter none.

You're right, but the press conferences would be PPV worthy alone and sometimes when 2 guys fight whose best days are behind them can actually make for a pretty interesting fight.

I hope the fight gets made. If Toney gets Tarver hurt like Nard did he won't step off the gas he'll go for the guy bigtime.
blackbelt2003
ANYTHING to offset the deluge of faceless, nameless Eastern Europeans is a bonus.

Even if Tarver sucks at heavyweight, he's at least going to add something to the division by way of being entertaining, brash and English speaking.

And Tarver-Toney is a veteran dream fight. That needs to be made as soon as Toney's MMA excursion finishes.

Other great possibilities:

Tarver - Tua
Tarver - Adamek
Tarver - Arreola

All of those would be superb entries into the division.

Black
D-MARV
I like it... Tarver beats Toney too.
Maxy
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jun 20 2010, 09:33 AM) *
I like it... Tarver beats Toney too.

Nah Toney stops Tarver. The press conferences will be great though!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jun 20 2010, 10:52 AM) *
Nah Toney stops Tarver. The press conferences will be great though!

Toney aint stopping shit, LMAO.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Would be great for a toney fight, but other than that, tarver is done. He is just a name to be knocked out
JLUVBABY
if tarver wants to do anything and make a lil more money he should take the george foreman approach and fight a few bum heavies on espn 2 and maybe grow into heavy a lil more... then go for a payday against a toney or maybe an arreola... IF he can win then maybe call out a haye or an adamek (both beat him soundly if not knock him out).... he can cancel christmas vs. the klits..
D-MARV
Tarver doesn't need any tune up for Toney.
darroy
i think tarver is making this move a few years too late!! prolly shoulda done this after finishing his trilogy with roy jones. still could be interesting to see him fight at heavy because the division is VERY weak right now and brings some personality but his chances for success at this point his career are still slim imo.
yuca
Is he going to be introduced as Mason Dixon?
GARCIA
Toney Tarver? umm it'll be a really good build up considering they are the two biggest Trash Talkers..
But this wil be an easy fight for Toney 4Sure..
Spyder
Thoughts on Tarver going to heavy? I think it's a great idea. Not so much for his career, but I think watching him get stretched will be a lot of fun.
alaganza
toney - tarver??? bring on the press conferences!!!!
mbills
The press tour would be amazing lol.. I'm not so sure he wont be ok up there.. Boxers with skill always have a shot against HW's because the majority of them mothafuckas can't fight a lick. James is an obvious exception, and Tarver might be as well. I'm not saying Tarver is as good a fighter as JT because he clearly isn't but compared to the rest of the division, he's better. JT, Haye and Adamek are the best boxers as of now. The Klitchko's are just too big and well schooled enough for this era. I'm not going to deny their dominance, but I have to point out the fact that it's a weak era.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 20 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Thoughts on Tarver going to heavy? I think it's a great idea. Not so much for his career, but I think watching him get stretched will be a lot of fun.

lol... agreed... antonio will get stretched out at heavyweight... lol..
BGv2.0
It's odd to me....but with such a weak HW division I do understand the motivation for it.

I just am not so sure that his age will over rule his ability despite the lack of depth in the division.

Working his way up the ladder toa Klit fight would provide some WAY OUT matchups I never would have imagined. Even fights with guys considered washed up or talent light look interesting with his name attached.

Toney/Tarver

Rahman/Tarver

Tarver/Peter

AND...there are some VERY interesting chess match type fights for him too that I would not mind seeing.

Tarver/Fres would be a really good matchup.

Tarver/Gomez would be good was well.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 21 2010, 03:09 PM) *
It's odd to me....but with such a weak HW division I do understand the motivation for it.

I just am not so sure that his age will over rule his ability despite the lack of depth in the division.

Working his way up the ladder toa Klit fight would provide some WAY OUT matchups I never would have imagined. Even fights with guys considered washed up or talent light look interesting with his name attached.

Toney/Tarver

Rahman/Tarver

Tarver/Peter

AND...there are some VERY interesting chess match type fights for him too that I would not mind seeing.

Tarver/Fres would be a really good matchup.

Tarver/Gomez would be good was well.

All good except he won't make it past Toney.
mbills
Quite honestly, Rahman would be the perfect fight at this point. Another member brought up the George Foreman approach which may actually be the way to go if he wants to be successful, however I'm not so sure that would be available to him given the state of boxing in 2010 as compared to the late 80's/early 90's (a by-product of today's sensationalistic society). Rahman provides Tarver with the perfect litmus test at this point in time.
mbills
Quite honestly, Rahman would be the perfect fight at this point. Another member brought up the George Foreman approach which may actually be the way to go if he wants to be successful, however I'm not so sure that would be available to him given the state of boxing in 2010 as compared to the late 80's/early 90's (a by-product of today's sensationalistic society). Rahman provides Tarver with the perfect litmus test at this point in time.
thehype
My thoughts?

IF SHOWTIME ISN'T WORKING ON A HEAVY SIX TOURNAMENT, THEY SHOULD BE!

Is Showtime Sports general manager Ken Hershman currently working on putting together a Heavy Six Heavyweight tournament? If he's not, he certainly should think about it. Given the attention that the network's Super Six World Boxing Classic tournament has brought to the 168-pound division, one has to wonder if Showtime is also contemplating a heavyweight tournament to add some much needed excitement to a division that's quickly being forgotten about. In fact, if I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest to Mr. Hershman the following candidates to participate in said tournament: Antonio Tarver, James Toney, David Tua, Hasim Rahman, Shannon Briggs and Tomasz Adamek.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content7831.html
thehype
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jun 22 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Why not throw in two more and make it single elim with a losers' bracket?

Because Showtime already has a format in place and the idea is to get them to put this thing together.

laugh.gif

All of the fighters I mentioned should be relatively easy to work with considering that none of them are really locked in with HBO. In fact, Rahman, Briggs and Toney are essentially free to do whatever they like with no promoter blocking their moves. That means all they really have to work on are Adamek (Main Events), Tua (Gotham Boxing/Kushner) and Tarver (his own inflated ego) in order to make it a reality. Personally, I think it's a lot easier to make than people think. I wouldn't mind replacing maybe Shannon Briggs with Sam Peter, but I'm just not sure if Top Rank/Bob Arum would be down for that.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 22 2010, 11:15 AM) *
Because Showtime already has a format in place and the idea is to get them to put this thing together.

laugh.gif

All of the fighters I mentioned should be relatively easy to work with considering that none of them are really locked in with HBO. In fact, Rahman, Briggs and Toney are essentially free to do whatever they like with no promoter blocking their moves. That means all they really have to work on are Adamek (Main Events), Tua (Gotham Boxing/Kushner) and Tarver (his own inflated ego) in order to make it a reality. Personally, I think it's a lot easier to make than people think. I wouldn't mind replacing maybe Shannon Briggs with Sam Peter, but I'm just not sure if Top Rank/Bob Arum would be down for that.

or replace rahman with peter... lol...
thehype
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 22 2010, 02:01 PM) *
or replace rahman with peter... lol...

Either/Or....they're both about the same.

Personally, I prefer to keep Rahman in it though because of that Draw and No Contest he had with Toney and the Draw and TKO loss he had to Tua...there's some history there, which makes the fights a little more interesting.

Briggs on the other hand...he can go.

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 22 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Either/Or....they're both about the same.

Personally, I prefer to keep Rahman in it though because of that Draw and No Contest he had with Toney and the Draw and TKO loss he had to Tua...there's some history there, which makes the fights a little more interesting.

Briggs on the other hand...he can go.

laugh.gif

i just see peter being the herder nosed of the two fighters... rahman would have crumbled in that fight with vitali... peter got his ass handed to him but he took the ass kicking like a "G"... never hitting the canvas... that same approach to the fights kept him in the fight with wladimir....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.