Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: winky wright
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
neophyte7
This guy is as hated and unappreciated as any fighter I can remember. Where is he? At 154 where does he rank all time. Great chin, Great D, was the undisputed 154 king

where does he rank all time at 154?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
All time? Uhh I don't know how he would rank all time actually. I'll give you the fact that he is an underappreciated fighter, but what exactly has he done to be considered all time. He has three notable victories over Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley (twice). Lets consider that for a second. Mosley was 1-2-1 in his previous four fights before that. In fact, most people at the time thought De La Hoya beat him in that rematch. It was a big victory for Winky no doubt though. Felix Trinidad was a great performance. However, Trinidad was coming off a three year retirement, and his only win after that three year retirement was Ricardo Mayorga. Mayorga was at his best at welterweight, not middleweight. To me, Winky Wright was supposed to beat Felix Trinidad. After getting beat up by Hopkins and taking all that time off, Winky Wright would have been tough to beat. Those were his best victories, and they're impressive. Winky Wright will go down as a very good fighter. There is no way he can go down as an all-time great though. Most of the other times he stepped up he got beat. He was beat by Vargas, Hopkins, and Paul Williams. Also, he was held to a draw against Jermain Taylor. I've been a fan of Winky Wright, but I just don't see him being ranked all-time that high. Like I said, he will go down as a very good fighter who can give anybody a tough night.

Where do you see him ranked, and what are your opinions?
STEVENSKI
Right down the bottom.
D-MARV
Winky Wright will always be remembered as a "Good" fighter.
Fitz
Very good fighter of this era, that's about it.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 30 2010, 09:10 PM) *

Very well said.
Keith

Winky Wright was overated. He more or less beat fighters he was bigger then and lost to fighters he wasnt.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 30 2010, 08:10 PM) *

I would add that he could compete in any era.

Wright is a rock solid professional who has never been KOed, even by Vargas, Mosley, PWill, BHop, Simon, or Vazquez.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 1 2010, 01:46 AM) *
I would add that he could compete in any era.

Wright is a rock solid professional who has never been KOed, even by Vargas, Mosley, PWill, BHop, Simon, or Vazquez.

Wow some monster punchers right there.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 30 2010, 11:02 PM) *
Wow some monster punchers right there.

Not monsters but 70 plus % KO rate.

Winky has had 57 professional fights and has finished them all. You might not consider that much of an accomplishment, but I do. He is an accomplished pro who could have competed in any era.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I will guiltily admit to being a Winky fan. I thought most of his big fights were fairly entertaining; lowering your gaurd and letting Mosley take free shots is fucking insane.

I enjoyed his fights with Vargas (in which he got robbed) and with Taylor. I don't know why he got so much hate. For a minute there he was the most avoided man in boxing, neither Floyd nor Oscar (who fought just about everyone) would go near him.

First ballot hall of famer, very good for his era without being Jones, Hopkins, Mayweather great. Probably not too far removed from Oscar when you're talking about quality wins.
King Eugene
I've always been a fan of Winky. He's under appreciated but complains about being under appreciated too much. Even at this age not too many are eager to jump in the ring with him.
neophyte7
I agree... he was robbed in the Vargas fight. Vargas was the house fighter and a PPV projection in the future. Definitely a fighter who could compete in any era... I read he is talking of Sergio Martinez at 160.... a win there upsets the balance of power and puts him right back on the map. no shame in losing to Hopkins but he beat taylor hands down. Too bad he never got a chance to face Vernon Forrest

In my view he beats DLH at 154 if they had met. I think has has to considered one of the better Jr middles that could have competed in any era. His chin is great. Has he ever been off of his feet?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 1 2010, 01:08 AM) *
I agree... he was robbed in the Vargas fight. Vargas was the house fighter and a PPV projection in the future. Definitely a fighter who could compete in any era... I read he is talking of Sergio Martinez at 160.... a win there upsets the balance of power and puts him right back on the map. no shame in losing to Hopkins but he beat taylor hands down. Too bad he never got a chance to face Vernon Forrest

In my view he beats DLH at 154 if they had met. I think has has to considered one of the better Jr middles that could have competed in any era. His chin is great. Has he ever been off of his feet?

I would have to check but I THINK Vasquez had him down 3 times? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else. That one other dude(forget his name right now) who was real nice beat him and maybe had him down. I think that guy like killed someone in a car accident or something, he was a good fighter. Damn I forget his name and need to check. Don't know if he ever fought again?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Sergio Martinez would be the worst style matchup ever for Winky Wright. Martinez throws a lot of punches and uses a lot of angles. Fighters that let their hands go beat Winky Wright. If a fight is letting those hands go, Winky sits there with that turtle-shell defense. Martinez would outwork him and win every round. I think Ouma back in 06 would have beaten Wright as well. Remember back in 03 when Angel Hernandez gave Wright hell but just putting pressure on and letting those hands go. I also don't think he beats De La Hoya at 154 either. De La Hoya is a better boxer than Mosley and Trinidad. He wouldn't have just sat their and eat that jab all night. He would have moved his head more, and gotten under the jab. It would have been a competitive fight though. Too bad they never made that one.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
lil lightsout: I think the guy you're thinking about is Harry Simon.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 1 2010, 01:20 AM) *
lil lightsout: I think the guy you're thinking about is Harry Simon.

Haha. I was just about to write that after I checked. Thanks man. Yeah, that is who I was talking about. I thought he was a nice fighter. What a shame.

Also. Glancing over at Winky's career fights, damn he fought a lot of really good/great fighters. He IS definitely under appreciated.
King Eugene
Wright was down like 5 times in that fight right? He looked like an amateur that fight. He was frail and shaky as hell.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 1 2010, 04:42 AM) *
Not monsters but 70 plus % KO rate.

Winky has had 57 professional fights and has finished them all. You might not consider that much of an accomplishment, but I do. He is an accomplished pro who could have competed in any era.

70% KO rate fighting 70% bums. he is little better than Anthony Mundine in accomplishments.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 1 2010, 02:18 AM) *
70% KO rate fighting 70% bums. he is little better than Anthony Mundine in accomplishments.

Now I know you're taking the piss. I've seen more guys on bumfights who have had better careers than Mundine.
BigG
Winky Wrights a great fighter of this era. Top 15 of the last decade.
Keith
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 1 2010, 07:45 AM) *
Winky Wrights a great fighter of this era. Top 15 of the last decade.

I dont have problem with this.

I challenge the notion that he was so good he was an avoided fighter though.

At the time when he could have garnered more attention he lost to Vargas(a fighter he wasnt bigger then) and that set him back a bit. Thats his fault. And the whole idea he was avoided is pretty slim after that anyway... he fought most of the name guys around his weight during the decade.

I he was avoided, it wasnt for his skills... avoided because he wasnt "exciting" enough in or out of the ring. He couldnt even sell the B side of a ppv.
neophyte7
I remember the Vargas fight... He was robbed... He had tight D all night. I remember him sending Vargas's mouthpiece into the crowd with a good shot...Good fight that should have gone to Winky.

He definitely is one of the best of this era and he is not done yet... we will see what happens
blackbelt2003
Jr Middle ATG's

1. Tommy HEARNS
2. Terry NORRIS
3. Mike McCALLUM
4. Winky WRIGHT

The only thing he could have done to increase his standing was to have reigned a little longer or to have gotten the match with DLH after beating Mosley. Man what a way to have closed out his jr middle reign that would have been.

Black
Keith
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 1 2010, 11:45 AM) *
I remember the Vargas fight... He was robbed... He had tight D all night. I remember him sending Vargas's mouthpiece into the crowd with a good shot...Good fight that should have gone to Winky.

Not a robbery. I had the fight dead even at 6 rds a piece. The 116-112 card was at least a rd too wide but that was a very close fight. I wont argue with anyone who thought Winky won the fight 7-5... but to call it a robbery is overly dramatic.

I didnt feel Winky's D was any better then Vargas over the course of the fight. Vargas made Winky miss a lot of punches with head movement. Vargas landed a ton of body punches and the judges scored them.

Winky could have won the fight but he coasted in 10, 11, and 12. He did nothing in 10 and let Vargas throw 99 punches. Even though he was coasting and just trying to win with his jab I still thought he won the 11th. And then again in the 12th with a title on the line... Winky did very little and danced around and let Vargas punch output get up to where judges had to give him the rd.
streetlion1
Not sure where to rank him but he was a very good fighter...I always liked his toughness and appreciate his style for what it was.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 1 2010, 08:24 AM) *
I dont have problem with this.

I challenge the notion that he was so good he was an avoided fighter though.

At the time when he could have garnered more attention he lost to Vargas(a fighter he wasnt bigger then) and that set him back a bit. Thats his fault. And the whole idea he was avoided is pretty slim after that anyway... he fought most of the name guys around his weight during the decade.

I he was avoided, it wasnt for his skills... avoided because he wasnt "exciting" enough in or out of the ring. He couldnt even sell the B side of a ppv.

The 2 biggest name fighters of the day (De La hoya and Mayweather) went out of their way to avoid him.
Keith
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 6 2010, 08:15 PM) *
The 2 biggest name fighters of the day (De La hoya and Mayweather) went out of their way to avoid him.

DLH maybe... for some reason or another... but Floyd did not. Was there a some chance to fight? Yes. but it's not my opinion that you can say Floyd having to fight out of his natural weight class to to make a fight "avoiding" Winky. I understand the argument though.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 1 2010, 12:08 AM) *
Too bad he never got a chance to face Vernon Forrest

Pretty sure Winky refused to fight Vernon cause he said he considered him too good a friend. To which Larry Merchant commented something along the lines of 'Well, then Winky has too many friends.'

Winky-Vernon is a fight that could have and should have been made. Both those guys had trouble getting big fights. Had they been willing to fight each other they most certainly would have.

QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 1 2010, 01:11 PM) *
Not a robbery. I had the fight dead even at 6 rds a piece. The 116-112 card was at least a rd too wide but that was a very close fight. I wont argue with anyone who thought Winky won the fight 7-5... but to call it a robbery is overly dramatic.

I didnt feel Winky's D was any better then Vargas over the course of the fight. Vargas made Winky miss a lot of punches with head movement. Vargas landed a ton of body punches and the judges scored them.

Winky could have won the fight but he coasted in 10, 11, and 12. He did nothing in 10 and let Vargas throw 99 punches. Even though he was coasting and just trying to win with his jab I still thought he won the 11th. And then again in the 12th with a title on the line... Winky did very little and danced around and let Vargas punch output get up to where judges had to give him the rd.

Agreed. Winky gave that fight away in the late rounds, same as he did against Taylor 7 years later. GREAT fighters don't coast in the last few rounds of fights they're hardly dominating in, simply content to say they deserved to win.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 12:50 AM) *
Yes and no. I don't think people would say that Floyd 'ducked' Wright if Floyd kept his mouth shut. Though in 2005 or whatever it was. Floyd CALLED out Wright. Not the other way around, Floyd challenged Winky and would have been at 154.
Winky accepted, then Floyd started with all these stipulations about weighing a certain weight at 'x' number of weeks before the fight and weigh a certain weight at fight night. That's when the fight folded. Mayweather began with all these stupid requests, once Winky accepted.

You know me, I can probably find the articles if I really wanted to, lol.

No need to find the articles, your memory is correct. He should have kept his mouth shut, I just dont consider not fighting a guy outside your natural division avoiding that fighter.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 6 2010, 11:50 PM) *
Yes and no. I don't think people would say that Floyd 'ducked' Wright if Floyd kept his mouth shut. Though in 2005 or whatever it was. Floyd CALLED out Wright. Not the other way around, Floyd challenged Winky and would have been at 154.
Winky accepted, then Floyd started with all these stipulations about weighing a certain weight at 'x' number of weeks before the fight and weigh a certain weight at fight night. That's when the fight folded. Mayweather began with all these stupid requests, once Winky accepted.

You know me, I can probably find the articles if I really wanted to, lol.

I remember Winky at one point saying he would suck down to 147 to make a fight with Floyd. Winky was prepared to go to Floyd's weight class.
neophyte7
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 7 2010, 07:35 AM) *
I remember Winky at one point saying he would suck down to 147 to make a fight with Floyd. Winky was prepared to go to Floyd's weight class.

If Winky had done that he would have ended up looking like DLH against PAC
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 07:26 AM) *
I would never have said Mayweather should fight Wright. I feel he was too small at the time, Mayweather just left himself open to criticism by making a bluff challenge.

Agree. I dont think we disagree at all on the subject.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.