Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hbo drops Klitschko sisters
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jlupi
Fightnews

HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg has again ripped the Klitschko brothers. IBF/WBO/IBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs) and WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko (40-2, 38 KOs) have both have previously fought on the network numerous times and routinely fill huge soccer stadiums when they fight, but Greenburg says there is no longer any interest in them from HBO. “I’m really souring on the heavyweights,” Greenburg was quoted as saying strangely on ESPN’s website, rather than that of his own network. “There doesn’t seem to be any interest in the U.S. and there doesn’t seem to be any heavyweights besides David Haye who would have any juice in challenging the Klitschkos. We’re out of the heavyweight division. We’re not playing in that sandbox right now. It doesn’t make any sense for us. The fights happen over there [in Europe], they’re on tape delay. There is just very little interest in this country.” Greenburg added that HBO definitely will not televise Wladimir Klitschko against unbeaten Teddy Atlas-trained Olympic gold medal winner Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs), nor Vitali Klitschko’s next fight unless the opponent is David Haye or Tomacz Adamek. Previously Greenburg had famously stated that the American public can’t tell which brother is which.
pcraw
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 3 2010, 10:06 AM) *
What a load of crap. The only problem is they don't know how to promote.

They can't generate any interest in an undefeated fighter v a Sister Klit?

Let me promote it. Povetkin will shock the world, I'm tellin' ya'.

I don't know about shocking the world. If you listen to Teddy Atlas when they mention the thought of a fight with Klits, he always seem to want a little more time. He never seems to anxious or interested in discussing it.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm pretty sure this upsets them but to what degree? They can still fill in stadiums over in Europe by fighting these guys.

Interesting to see it took HBO this long to officially be off the Klitshko bandwagon.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Thank god I don't have to sit and watch these two fight again. These two make for extremly boring and un-interesting fights. I'd rather have the HBO dates go for better and more interesting fights. The brothers are so dominant, and you know that they're going to be dominant going into the fight. Good for HBO.
Jack 1000
Greenburg added that HBO definitely will not televise Wladimir Klitschko against unbeaten Teddy Atlas-trained Olympic gold medal winner Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs), nor Vitali Klitschko’s next fight unless the opponent is David Haye or Tomacz Adamek.

It makes sense to me. The Klitschkos are too boring to watch, and even if they fought each other, it would be a 12-round paddy-cake sparring session with neither wanting to hurt the other.

There is so much more that HBO could be doing with the lighter weight divisions, where the action is.

Jack
D-MARV
Good move. Hopefully they can fill those dates with some more exciting fights.
JD
They could have turned them into something marketable in the States, but they would have had to continuously had them fight legit opponents at the Garden.

Even then, it is hard to compete with 50 - 60,000 in Europe against anyone.
Maxy
So is there still the option for Americans to watch the Klits box should they actually want to, or does this mean you will basically be reading the results of their fights? Not sure how things work over there?
JD
I read that SHowtime may pick up Klitschko - Povetkin
Maxy
Showtime is PPV too though isn't it?
JD
Showtime has not done a PPV in a while...the finals of the Super Six will be on regular SHowtime.
Maxy
Cheers, I wasn't sure about how they do things. Well, at least if they are on for free it gives those who want to see them box the opportunity. Over here we have to pay so I choose not to.
neophyte7
A solution to the heavy boredom would be to make a Superheayweight division above 220 pounds --- that way you would have an interesting mix of guys going up around the 200 pound range like they used to be back in the Joe Louis days

Guys like Tarver, Hopkins, Adamek. Jame Toney, Holyfield, Roy Jones... these guys would be better to watch than the Klits. I would love to see James Toney Roid Jones at heavyweight... If guys wanted to go up and challenge the Supers so be it... Just a thought
oozemcbuck
A solution to the heavy boredom would be to make a Superheayweight division above 220 pounds --- that way you would have an interesting mix of guys going up around the 200 pound range like they used to be back in the Joe Louis days

I can only think of 2 heavys around 220 pounds, Adamek and Haye. Most of them just look like out of shape fat motherfuckers. Can't realy be mad at HBO for it. But at least SHOWTIME has a chance to get them on there. I'd still rather watch the bros. instead of nothing.
D-MARV
These other sports have taken over... I doubt the Heavyweight division will EVER be great again. All these guys play in the NFL and the NBA. You now have a crop of guys who played college football trying their hand in boxing because they didn't make the NFL. Boxing has become secondary too this other sports.

Could you guys imagine Ray Lewis as a heavyweight fighter?
pcraw
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 3 2010, 10:55 AM) *
Hey! I'm tryin' to promote a fight here.

Lol. My bad. Do your thing Smarty!
oozemcbuck
Could you guys imagine Ray Lewis as a heavyweight fighter?

Shiiiit, could you imagine if the heavyweights worked in the gym as hard as Ray Lewis ? Now THAT would be something.
neophyte7
Ray lewis looks good on the field but might have a chin like an infant in the ring....
D-MARV
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 3 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Ray lewis looks good on the field but might have a chin like an infant in the ring....

Ray Lewis has a neck like a bulldog... I'm willing to bet his chin would hold up. But whatever... it's just fantasy. Ray Lewis would beat Wlad's ass if they met in an alley.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 3 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Ray Lewis has a neck like a bulldog... I'm willing to bet his chin would hold up. But whatever... it's just fantasy. Ray Lewis would beat Wlad's ass if they met in an alley.

or just have one of his boys stab him and drive away in his limo
D-MARV
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 3 2010, 06:58 PM) *
or just have one of his boys stab him and drive away in his limo

Maybe Vitali... LOL
Method
No US Interest, the fights are on tape delay...save the money and spend it in the middleweights, tournaments, documentaries chronicling the tourneys, and then make the finals of the tourneys PPV. Showtime SHOULD make the final of the Super Six a PPV...you have all those fights, documentary TV shows promoting and documenting...there's enough of a following to make money on a PPV. Might do 300-400k, would you agree?

As for HBO dumping the heavies, you cant blame them. Its a GREAT move by HBO, IMO. Get the programming back on track. Maybe Hauser's articles getting to them.
D-MARV
HBO needs to have a 140lb tourney. I think they would do well and the winner may become the next big thing in Boxing. Start it this fall and crown a champ by the end of next year or beginning of 2012.
Jack 1000
I would grant a partial reconsideration for the Klitschkos only if they are in with an opponent who forces them into a war, otherwise probably not. (And the fight should be Live.)

HBO said they might do a per fight basis only with Haye or Adamak. But you can't blame them for saying no to the mismatches.

Jack
Jack 1000
Showtime SHOULD make the final of the Super Six a PPV...you have all those fights, documentary TV shows promoting and documenting...there's enough of a following to make money on a PPV. Might do 300-400k, would you agree?

Agree that the money is there, but boxing doesn't need more PPV's, it needs less. This is very cool of Showtime to be able to have the fans follow along in this tournament. I don't think it would be fair to make the climax a PPV only. Boxing promoters have to start thinking more about giving back to the fans, rather than nickel and diming them to death for PPV. Mutilate dish and cable services can add up to large amounts of dollars per month. PPV boxing on top of that has become a financial burden. This is great that Showtime subs will be able to see a climax without having to fork over more money.

Jack
Spyder
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 3 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Agree that the money is there, but boxing doesn't need more PPV's, it needs less. This is very cool of Showtime to be able to have the fans follow along in this tournament. I don't think it would be fair to make the climax a PPV only. Boxing promoters have to start thinking more about giving back to the fans, rather than nickel and diming them to death for PPV. Mutilate dish and cable services can add up to large amounts of dollars per month. PPV boxing on top of that has become a financial burden. This is great that Showtime subs will be able to see a climax without having to fork over more money.

Jack

Careful Jack, you're starting to sound like SmartyBeardo.
alaganza
1. I don't blame HBO at all.

2. Showtime should investigate and maybe capitalize on the opportunity

3. Larry Merchant must be heartbroken now.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 3 2010, 06:55 PM) *

Beat their ass in a game of football? Yes.

Beat their ass in an actual fight? I am going to confidently disagree...Ray Ray goes to sleep.
EpTXCHAMP
I think it's obvious this was done to open up some dates and money for future fights in the 140lb division.. He mentions earlier that it is a Deep division and is interested in making fights with Devon,Bradley, and unfortunatley making khan vs Marquez even though a mismatch I would def like to see
that over a klit fight
Fitz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 4 2010, 06:24 AM) *

Maybe we could name it cruiser weight division B.
Method
I maintain that I would have ZERO problem w Showtime making the final of the Super 6 PPV. With all the free content they've given subscribers w all the fights and the documentary, they earned the right to make the final a PPV....perhaps it doesn't have to be og the $49.99 variety, but again, I believe they've put enough into the tourney to warrant that.

Mosley/Mora? No fucking WAY it should be PPV.

Jack, I fully agree that boxing needs less PPV, but the finale of the Super 6 doesn't fall into a bullshit ppv. It's the rest of the bullshit match-ups that need to fall in line.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 4 2010, 01:00 PM) *
Beat their ass in a game of football? Yes.

Beat their ass in an actual fight? I am going to confidently disagree...Ray Ray goes to sleep.

If those two ever met in the street, I'm willing to bet that Ray Ray makes Wlad his bitch.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 4 2010, 08:25 PM) *
If those two ever met in the street, I'm willing to bet that Ray Ray makes Wlad his bitch.

Yeah...I would happily take the Klitschko side of that action with either Wlad or Vitali. They fight for a living...Ray Ray plays linebacker.
Lil-lightsout

Wow!!! rolleyes_anim.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 5 2010, 02:07 PM) *
Yeah...I would happily take the Klitschko side of that action with either Wlad or Vitali. They fight for a living...Ray Ray plays linebacker.

You mean you are going to pick a fighter to beat a football player in fighting? Wow JD, I thought you were smart. Clearly an idiot. You are supposed to base your picks on physical looks and reputation. Everything else goes out the window.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 5 2010, 01:40 AM) *
You mean you are going to pick a fighter to beat a football player in fighting? Wow JD, I thought you were smart. Clearly an idiot. You are supposed to base your picks on physical looks and reputation. Everything else goes out the window.

What the fuck was I thinking? Ray Lewis is just an American athlete, he only has a good vertical leap.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 5 2010, 11:04 PM) *
What the fuck was I thinking? Ray Lewis is just an American athlete, he only has a good vertical leap.

Not to mention being a brother with a thick neck. Adds to his image.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 5 2010, 09:27 AM) *
Not to mention being a brother with a thick neck. Adds to his image.

Why he gots to be a brotha?
D-MARV
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 5 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I would agree with you if D-Marv was talking about a regulation boxing match. On the street Wlad and Vitali would have little chance specifically because "Ray Ray plays linebacker." Aint no jab stoppin' the NFL wreckin' ball the Klit Sisters would be KTFO by before they hit the pavement.

The only question would be in the counting of the broken bones.

Ray Lewis was an All American Wrestler in High School with over 30 scholarship offers. It's not like all he knows how to do is play football. His offseason workouts consists of a 2 hour boxing workout 4 days a week. I'm not saying he would beat the Klits in a boxing match but If I had to pick someone to go to war with me, I'm definitely picking Ray Ray over both Klits.
JD
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 5 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I would agree with you if D-Marv was talking about a regulation boxing match. On the street Wlad and Vitali would have little chance specifically because "Ray Ray plays linebacker." Aint no jab stoppin' the NFL wreckin' ball the Klit Sisters would be KTFO by before they hit the pavement.

The only question would be in the counting of the broken bones.

LOL...yes...Ray Ray would KO them without eating a couple shots that would put him to sleep. He would walk through whatever straight shots they landed on his dome, and KO them.

Some of the shit you read on messageboards is hilarious.
Maxy
Blimey, am I still reading the fighthype forums?
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 6 2010, 12:52 AM) *
Ray Lewis was an All American Wrestler in High School with over 30 scholarship offers. It's not like all he knows how to do is play football. His offseason workouts consists of a 2 hour boxing workout 4 days a week. I'm not saying he would beat the Klits in a boxing match but If I had to pick someone to go to war with me, I'm definitely picking Ray Ray over both Klits.

I would pick Roy Jones Jr over Dwayne Wade in basketball. Roy Jones played basketball in college, so it's not like all he knows is how to box. His off season includes a lot of basketball.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 5 2010, 07:57 PM) *
I would pick Roy Jones Jr over Dwayne Wade in basketball. Roy Jones played basketball in college, so it's not like all he knows is how to box. His off season includes a lot of basketball.

I would would pick Fitz over Rupaul. I know Rupaul acts gay here and there but Fitz has been gay his whole life...

Seriously dude... If I had said that Ray Lewis would beat Wladimir in a boxing match then you're post would apply.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 6 2010, 10:16 AM) *
I would would pick Fitz over Rupaul. I know Rupaul acts gay here and there but Fitz has been gay his whole life...

Hahaha. You are too witty.
neophyte7
people kill me assuming a football player well built and who hits like a ton of bricks on the grid iron can take a good punch in the ring or automatically whips ass in the street. I have seen big line backers get dropped by slim jim basketball players who never even picked up weights. Iron fist would fuck Ray lewis up... Wlad? he is pussy Iron fist lays ray lewis flat... without gloves he puts him in coma
JD
Yeah...I mean, I am not really sure why this is a tough one.

Wlad or Vitali put Ray Ray to sleep rather quickly. I think people underestimate what being hit by one of them bare-fisted would be like.
Fitz
Wlad:
  • Unified Heavyweight champion
  • Professional fighter, fights for a living
  • Been fighting for about 17 years

Ray Lewis:
  • Plays football
  • Has a thick neck
  • Apparently wrestled in college

Based on that, Ray Lewis is definitely the superior fighter, despite not having any of his fights on footage or a career in it. He clearly beats the unified heavyweight champion that is a prize fighter and fights for a living.
Warlord

You're on drugs.
Fitz
Smarty and Marv. This guy you talk of.

He is not a professional fighter, while Wlad does it for a profession. You have not seen this guy in a fight/street fight, he doesn't have footage of him fighting and he has apparently wrestled in college. While Wlad is a unified champion, fights for a LIVING, has footage of him fighting, so saying Wlad is a fighter isn't speculation.

What are you basing that this Lewis dude would beat Klitschko on? As clearly it isn't on OBSERVATION because he doesn't fight nor have fights on camera. What's it based on?
Fitz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 6 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Ray Lewis is a maniac, as witnessed 16 weeks a year, 25 to 50 times a week, on camera from multiple angles.

So he is a maniac on a football field. Sounds like good reasoning.

rolleyes_anim.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.