Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where have the potential boxers gone?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
The obvious answer is MMA. But, I don't think so. I don't see that many potential boxers in MMA. Certainly there are some decent punchers. But how many could be really talented boxers?

In America, I think the best potential heavyweights have gone to basketball. But worldwide I have no doubt that soccer has attracted many of the best potential boxers. Great footwork. Great head movement. Hungry youngsters all over the world dream of being Messi, Klose, Kaka and others more than JMM, Pac or PBF.

And for good reason.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jul 5 2010, 11:59 PM) *
The obvious answer is MMA. But, I don't think so. I don't see that many potential boxers in MMA. Certainly there are some decent punchers. But how many could be really talented boxers?

In America, I think the best potential heavyweights have gone to basketball. But worldwide I have no doubt that soccer has attracted many of the best potential boxers. Great footwork. Great head movement. Hungry youngsters all over the world dream of being Messi, Klose, Kaka and others more than JMM, Pac or PBF.

And for good reason.

I'd say basketball myself..Yet,I don't feel there is a shortage of potential boxers since they keep comin along..
Lil-lightsout
I think fighters today just do not have the same desire(for the majority) as in the past. The heavyweights are the best example of how shitty and lazy fighters have got. I do not know the reason why there is not more quality fighters. Boxing is a dangerous sport and maybe today more people have more options than boxing??? I just know it's depressing looking at the heavyweight division.
Keith

If I had a choice between boxing and basketball... basketball would win everytime.

NBA players make way more money and dont have to get punched in the face.
Fitz
Teddy Atlas says on 'fight night round 4' that it's basketball.
salvador
Football and basketball might be getting the hws, but the lower weights are still in good shape. Where else is a young, 122 pound Latino going to go other than boxing, bullfighting?

D-MARV
I think the heavyweights have gone on to other sports such as football but the lower weights seem to be doing well.
Spyder
It's no secret that boxing is a sport for the poor. Until the last couple of years, things had been pretty good in the US. Of course there is ALWAYS going to be poor people, but until recently, it wasn't that hard to find work. I'd say the recession will dawn a new age of fighters...with this current regime pushing the unemployment figures into the double digits, the next wave of talent should be coming along shortly. thumbsup_anim.gif

Keith
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jul 6 2010, 10:23 AM) *
It's no secret that boxing is a sport for the poor. Until the last couple of years, things had been pretty good in the US. Of course there is ALWAYS going to be poor people, but until recently, it wasn't that hard to find work. I'd say the recession will dawn a new age of fighters...with this current regime pushing the unemployment figures into the double digits, the next wave of talent should be coming along shortly. thumbsup_anim.gif

YAAAAA RECESSION !!!
King Eugene
They heavyweights have gone to football. They'd rather get smacked in the face with a face mask on by an offensive lineman than get punched in the nose with a straight right hand you don't see coming from the likes of Wlad or Vitali and get paid way more money for it.

I mean........can you blame them?
dntknw.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 6 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Football and basketball might be getting the hws, but the lower weights are still in good shape. Where else is a young, 122 pound Latino going to go other than boxing, bullfighting?

tell him to stop being such a lazy ass, lose some more weight and become a jockey. jai-alai is always an option also.
Big Slim Sweet
It's not just the heavyweights. Allen Iverson might have made a great middleweight.
neophyte7
No sir. Iverson had a poor work ethic in basketball and hated to practice. I could see him showing up without training and getting starched!!!
Big Slim Sweet
Allen Iverson vs. Roy Jones in a street fight Iverson whips that ass son!!!
neophyte7
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 6 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Allen Iverson vs. Roy Jones in a street fight Iverson whips that ass son!!!

LMAO--- you trying to start some shit...
GARCIA
I'm right here... jus mackin some hoes and chillin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.