Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao-Cotto II
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
I'm reading reports that Team Pacquiao traveled down to Puerto Rico this past weekend to discuss a possible rematch if the Mayweather fight fell through. Apparently the fight would be at another catchweight of 150-151. Are you serious? This is such horseshit and I don't know how ANY Pacquiao fan can justify this fight.

Thoughts.
rusty_trombone
bleh
Big Slim Sweet
There is absolutely no reason for this fight to even be under consideration. Their first fight was a bludgeoning through and through.

Anyway, it won't happen. More bullshit from the Pac camp trying to force Mayweather's hand.
jvo1800
why is this even being discussed????? didnt we all see the first fight???? i thought rematches only happened if it was a questionable D.Q., a close decision, or a quick K.O. which sometimes dont mean nothing. this fight wasnt even close after 2 or 3 rounds. (confused face)
Nay_Sayer
I'd rather see de la Hoya Cotto...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 6 2010, 10:23 PM) *
I'd rather see de la Hoya Cotto...

Who wouldn't? At least with that fight we don't know what the outcome would be going in.

Now if you said you'd rather see Pacquaio-De La Hoya II, I'd have to disagree with you.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 01:10 AM) *
I hope something terrible happens to Pacquiao if he requests a catch weight.

Co-sign.
kidbazooka1
Pointless Im a big fan of Cotto but i don't wanna see this happen he can't beat Pacqiuao at any weight.
BigG
I agree with Bazooka but at 154, it would be a closer fight and I don't think Cotto gets stopped. I think it would be 8-4 type deicsion for Pacquiao.....Cotto looked good in the Foreman fight and was dominating (IMO) even before Foremans fall. Cotto still a top fighter.
Lil-lightsout
If Pac does not fight Mayweather next or soon, I would not mind seeing Pac and Cotto at 154. I think Cotto would be stronger and make better adjustments. But I do not blame anyone for not seeing a rematch either.

I would not mind seeing Pac fight Bradley or Alexander fighting Pac at 140.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 02:14 AM) *
I am in the minority that wouldn't be against a rematch at 154. I am not calling for it, but I really don't mind. I am impartial about it. But it must be at 154. Not 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 or 153 but at fucking 154. If it's a catch weight, I want to see Pacquiao's career ended permanently with a career ending knockout.

Then you shouldn't hope for a rematch coz the only one whose career will be ended in that fight is Cotto.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 06:08 AM) *
Pacquiao should win, but he isn't beating Cotto easier than last time. Cotto will be a live underdog in a rematch, unless moonface makes him come in at something stupid like 150.

I'll respectfully disagree Fitz.

I thought Cotto looked a little soft coming in at 154. It is very hard to gauge how he was going because he faced a guy who wasn't throwing any punches. I'm not sure what Foreman's strategy was coz punching didn't seem to be a part of it. Whether he had something in store for the 2nd half of the fight we'll never know.

The odd time he did stop to trade Cotto wasn't hard to find and I thought Foreman sorta hurt him a couple of times. Not badly hurt mind you.

If they fight at 154, I see Roach bringing Manny in at about 151 and just doing the same as the first fight, overwhelming Cotto with speed, workrate and punches fom angles he doesn't see coming.

I see no reason to think it would be any different.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 06:45 AM) *
Can't really argue. I have said before, in most cases I would never be on the side I am on now. Most one sided fights, end up that way in the rematch. But I don't know, I usually don't think trainers do make the world of difference later in a guys career. I just really, really like the matchup between Cotto/Steward. I think he will help Cotto more than most trainers do with experienced fighters that make changes later. I'm also not saying that Steward is that great either, I just think the area Cotto fails in the most, is Stewards best quality. The funny thing is, I only think Cotto needs a pretty minor make over, but it will make the world of difference.

watching Origin right now? I think NSW will win this one.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I take the above comment back.
streetlion1
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 7 2010, 12:59 AM) *
I agree with Bazooka but at 154, it would be a closer fight and I don't think Cotto gets stopped. I think it would be 8-4 type deicsion for Pacquiao.....Cotto looked good in the Foreman fight and was dominating (IMO) even before Foremans fall. Cotto still a top fighter.

I agree....I know the first fight was a blowout but that IMO was a different Cotto. 2lbs drained with a bad corner and no real gameplan. I dont think its that far fetched that Cotto could beat Manny in a rematch at 154 with Emanuel in his corner...he is still the better boxer. I think a Cotto who just uses his boxing skill, throws his jab, and doesnt try to trade where he gets caught with an unseen punch would do alot better.

The fight would have to be at 154 though. No more giving the catchweight king the advantage. The more talk about catchweights is making me really wanna see Floyd knock Crackiuao the fuck out!
PR316
Its Freddie Roach thats behind all that shit with catch-weights and all.

But unfortunately even at 154 its hard to imagine Cotto beating Manny. Cotto can box him for a bit but once Pacquiao makes him fight, its all downhill from there.

Manny is too fast, too fit, and too powerful for Miguel who was gassed after 4 rounds against Pacquiao(Knockdowns played a part as well).

If the weight is not 154 then Cotto should not take the fight. He has every right to have his size advantage regardless of what Freddie Roach says.
Snoop
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 7 2010, 04:02 PM) *
Its Freddie Roach thats behind all that shit with catch-weights and all.

But unfortunately even at 154 its hard to imagine Cotto beating Manny. Cotto can box him for a bit but once Pacquiao makes him fight, its all downhill from there.

Manny is too fast, too fit, and too powerful for Miguel who was gassed after 4 rounds against Pacquiao(Knockdowns played a part as well).

If the weight is not 154 then Cotto should not take the fight. He has every right to have his size advantage regardless of what Freddie Roach says.

Pretty much. That's how it should have been for the "championship" fight at WW as well.
Big Slim Sweet
Cotto can't deal with Pac's hand speed at 145, 147, 150 or 154. The weight doesn't matter, he'll get blown out again.

Why on earth is this idea being taken seriously by anybody?
BoxingStill#1
The biggest difference in this fight wouldnt really be the wieght I believe, I think it would be the presence of Emanuel in the corner...

Still, I'm one of the biggest Cotto fans in here but even I think I saw everything I needed to see in the first fight...

bring on floyed and pac
KookedKrack
It might be time to re-up the pontoon.....So if Pac doesn't fight Floyd he will instead fight a guy who he got a tko victory over? If it was Floyd doing this the internet would explode. Not only is the thought of this fight disrespectful to us boxing fans but the mentioning of another fucking catch weight makes me rage.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 9 2010, 12:07 AM) *
I still don't think speed is the issue for Cotto. He has dealt with speed from Judah, Mosley and Malignaggi. I think people are putting too much emphasis on Pacquiao's best quality and that was speed.
Cotto doesn't like guys who punch more than him (higher workrate) and are aggressive. I think there are more instances where Cotto has struggled with offensive/high work rate guys than he has with guys with speed.
Speed may cause Cotto some discomfort, but isn't the thing that troubles him the most.

Agree and would like to add that offensive/high work rate fighter give him more trouble because he is not that durable.
streetlion1
I agree its not really speed that bothers Cotto but he is durable. Margacheato had loaded gloves and Cotto took alot of shots on the ropes before being stopped. I think he just needs to box against Crackman.....and jab his ass off. Emanuel Steward wont let him stop jabbing....I like the team of Emanuel and Cotto....I'll bet we start seeing Cotto do another thing we havent really seen him do that can help him is tie his man up. I dunno if anyone noticed but Cotto rarely holds when he is in trouble he just tries to run. Where Cotto really lacks is defense. Its not his chin or his under rated speed but his defense. In his losses he took a lot of punches....now he has a trainer that will be able to work with him on that.

I think the fight would be a different one with Emanuel in his corner....but it has to be done at 154. Cotto came down the first time when he was the champ he shouldnt do it again. IMO belts shouldnt be on the line in catchweight fights....Pacquiao is cheating history and I hope that Mayweather accepts the deal so I can finally see Manny K.Oed.
Yucayeke
I agree that Cotto / Emmanuel is a good combination. I have always said that Cotto would benefit from a real trainer, just Like Trinidad would of had he dropped off of papa Trinidad's tit when he had a chance at being viable.

That being said even with Steward, I can't see Cotto beating Manny. He might make it a bit more competitive at 154 and avoid the TKO, but for the life of me I can't see anything in his arsenal that would help him win. Well, yeah there is his killer left hook, but he would have to land it forst wouldn't he.

All things equal, this is a way better fight than against Margacheeto and who could Floyd fight against that wouldn't be a a total borefest? Williams? Margacheeto? Berto? All Blah fights and unfortunately will not bring out the PPV buys.

Manny and Cotto have HUGE fan bases. HUGE! This business is all about money and after all is said and done if not the Gayweather battel, the only other high money battle Manny has in front of him would be Cotto.

I would pay to see it before I would pay to see Gayweather vs. Berto for instance. Just my two cents, but what the fuck do I know.
Keith
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jul 9 2010, 09:48 AM) *
I agree its not really speed that bothers Cotto but he is durable.

Cotto starts falling apart soon after guys start landing shots on him, going all the way back to Judah. I'm not talking strictly kd's or ko's.

Judah landed and Cotto got hurt and bled like a pig.
Cotto had a cut inside his mouth and started to look vulnerable against Mosley.
Margarito beat him to a pulp and Cotto bled like a pig.
Cotto bled like a pig and looked very vulnerable against Clottey.
Pac beat him to a pulp and he bled like a pig.

Whenever fighters land punches on Cotto something bad happens. He is always bleeding like a stuck pig and often looks very vulnerable.
When he's not getting beat to a pulp (Margarito, Pac)... in fights he wins he looks more diminished then his opponent (Mosley, Clottey).

Cotto is very tough... but not durable.
streetlion1
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 9 2010, 10:32 AM) *
Cotto starts falling apart soon after guys start landing shots on him, going all the way back to Judah. I'm not talking strictly kd's or ko's.

Judah landed and Cotto got hurt and bled like a pig.
Cotto had a cut inside his mouth and started to look vulnerable against Mosley.
Margarito beat him to a pulp and Cotto bled like a pig.
Cotto bled like a pig and looked very vulnerable against Clottey.
Pac beat him to a pulp and he bled like a pig.

Whenever fighters land punches on Cotto something bad happens. He is always bleeding like a stuck pig and often looks very vulnerable.
When he's not getting beat to a pulp (Margarito, Pac)... in fights he wins he looks more diminished then his opponent (Mosley, Clottey).

Cotto is very tough... but not durable.

Well yeah he cuts easy. I thought you were talking chin wise. I think what makes him look more vulnerable is the fact that he runs when in trouble....he never holds and takes short steps and circles his man he just runs and winds up stopping on the ropes. Whatever him and Emanuel are working on defense better be a part of it.
Keith
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jul 10 2010, 09:41 AM) *
Well yeah he cuts easy. I thought you were talking chin wise. I think what makes him look more vulnerable is the fact that he runs when in trouble....he never holds and takes short steps and circles his man he just runs and winds up stopping on the ropes.

The reason he runs when in trouble is related to some of his durability issues. I think his chin is fine, but he does cut easy, he doesnt like being hit in the body, and I dont believe he likes a rough fight. Cotto is average strength wise and he gets worn down by fighters. Mosley, Margarito, Clottey, and Pacquiao were all physically stronger then him.

I just don't think he he's very durable, but thats only my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.