Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who are boxing's biggest over achievers?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
To be honest, I wanted to make a thread called 'who is the greatest worst boxer of all time?'. It was because I wanted to talk about Ricardo Mayorga and give him props. I love that dude. Now not sugar coating anything, he is pretty terrible when you are just watching him, and his style. But for some reason, he was extremely good in the ring. Has an excellent resume.

Wins over:
  • Andrew Lewis
  • Vernon Forrest (x2)
  • Fernando Vargas

Also a very questionable loss over Cory Spinks.

And has losses over Trinidad, De La Hoya and Mosley. And he has been pretty exciting in just about every one of them. He held multiple world titles, and unified in the welter weight division. Was pipped out on becoming undisputed against Spinks, and then picked up a title at 154. Plus him sticking his chin out against Trinidad was probably one of the best things I have seen in boxing, lol.

Ok. Well I didn't call it "the greatest worst boxer", and feel over achievers can probably venture out a little more. Here are some of the guys I think were over achievers.

• Ricardo Mayorga
  • Carlos Baldomir
  • Ricky Hatton
  • Lamon Brewster
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Ricky Hatton for mine.

John Ruiz, especially after the Tua fight and then holding wins over Holyfield and Rahman.
SENTRAL
I would add Greg Haugen who was average at everything apart from a huge heart and inner toughness. He was IBF lightweight champ but was never any better than 5th or 6th of the lightweights of that time. Ruiz, Hatton, Mayorga, Baldimor and Brewster are good calls. Carlos Maussa is one more I'd throw into the pot.
Snoop
So are we talking about boxers who exceeded our expectations or someone that did more than they needed to (that's what I usually refer to as an overachiever)?
Lil-lightsout
Troy Dorsey...hands down. Dude could not crack an egg and had zero boxing skills. He managed to become a champ and beat some decent fighters along the way. His fight with Kevin Kelly when Kevin was an undefeated fighter was awesome. What Dorsey had was a huge heart and crazy ass determination who just sat on your chest from the opening bell and just never stopped punching.
Method
Who was that colored dude that Big G had in his sig and avatar for a while. He beat somebody good, but he had zero punching power.

Felix Trinidad was a great overachiever.
rusty_trombone
john ruiz
antonio margarito
thehype
Manny PEDuiao

laugh.gif
neophyte7
Valuev... this guy belongs in a circus freakshow.... credit to him for doing what he has in the ring...

Mickey Ward... dude is the most celebrated fighter i have seen with more than ten losses and never a world champion. he may even get into the hall of fame based upon his three face fighting brawls with Gatti---
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 7 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Who was that colored dude that Big G had in his sig and avatar for a while. He beat somebody good, but he had zero punching power.

Zahir Raheem?

John Ruiz is technically, what, a 13 time heavyweight champion or something? Yet he may be the single worst fighter to every lace up a pair of gloves. This is a guy who would get his ass handed to him by half the women in any given bar. A living, breathing pile of dog shit. So I guess maybe he's an overachiever, all things considered.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 7 2010, 08:53 PM) *
John Ruiz is technically, what, a 13 time heavyweight champion or something? Yet he may be the single worst fighter to every lace up a pair of gloves. This is a guy who would get his ass handed to him by half the women in any given bar. A living, breathing pile of dog shit. So I guess maybe he's an overachiever, all things considered.

this made me chuckle. I have a friend who would describe him the exact same way.
yuca
I would add Arturo Gatti, and definitely Nazeem Hamed.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (yuca @ Jul 7 2010, 09:13 PM) *

I would actually classify Nazeem Hamed as an underachiever
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (yuca @ Jul 7 2010, 09:13 PM) *

Arturo Gatti was a decent fighter with some good skills. His heart did help him through many/some of his fights too, so maybe he did overachieve?

Hamed was a beast with killer power. Personally I do not see how he was an overachiever.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 10:00 PM) *
I don't know. I suppose someone who has had a pretty good career or has some achievements that probably shouldn't have when looking at them.

In that case I would agree with most of your original list with exception to Ricky Hatton. I think people were pretty high on this guy and he basically got exposed and hasn't really done shit since.

Great call on Carlos Maussa. Especially the hype he received on this board after his win over Harris.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 7 2010, 09:29 PM) *
I would actually classify Nazeem Hamed as an underachiever

Exactly... he could have done more.
Snoop
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jul 8 2010, 01:53 AM) *

LMAO. Nice.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think Juan Diaz is an overachiever given the fact that he is short, chubby, couldn't knock out an old geezer even if he was trying to gum him to death and his defense consists of covering up and waiting for the other guy to stop punching so he can go back to swinging his fists and barking like a frightened puppy and yet was still able to beat Freitas, Julio Diaz, Cotto's crazy undefeated brother and went toe to toe with JMM.

How about Glen Johnson? The guy toured the world losing a few here, winning a few there and then all of a sudden was able to have a great year in 2004 by beating Clinton Woods, Roy Jones Jr and Antonio Tarver, taking the Light Heavyweight championship in the process. Also he gave Chad Dawson the scariest night of his life and recently KO'd the younger Yusaf Mack. He did all that despite having slow feet, limited head movement, average hand speed and being in his middle to late thirties.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 7 2010, 10:31 PM) *
How about Glen Johnson? The guy toured the world losing a few here, winning a few there and then all of a sudden was able to have a great year in 2004 by beating Clinton Woods, Roy Jones Jr and Antonio Tarver, taking the Light Heavyweight championship in the process. Also he gave Chad Dawson the scariest night of his life and recently KO'd the younger Yusaf Mack. He did all that despite having slow feet, limited head movement, average hand speed and being in his middle to late thirties.

Great call on Glen Johnson! Could not agree more, and at his advanced age.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 7 2010, 09:31 PM) *
I think Juan Diaz is an overachiever given the fact that he is short, chubby, couldn't knock out an old geezer even if he was trying to gum him to death and his defense consists of covering up and waiting for the other guy to stop punching so he can go back to swinging his fists and barking like a frightened puppy and yet was still able to beat Freitas, Julio Diaz, Cotto's crazy undefeated brother and went toe to toe with JMM.

Excellent calls on both Diaz and Johnson.
Keith

Evander Holyfield was an over achiever. He was barely a HW but just worked harder then all of them to compete. IMO he wasnt all that great skill wise either but was just a tough stubborn brawler that wore his opponents down.
GARCIA
Antonio Margarito... idk how that guy beats ppl, he's slow lol Fun to watch tho..
Romulus9
Vinny Pazienza.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (GARCIA @ Jul 8 2010, 06:39 PM) *
Antonio Margarito... idk how that guy beats ppl, he's slow lol Fun to watch tho..

Be fun watching him get beat over the head with a nightstick.

Not really, but it would be (almost) appropriate.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 8 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Vinny Pazienza.

Another great example.
Warlord
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 7 2010, 06:24 AM) *
To be honest, I wanted to make a thread called 'who is the greatest worst boxer of all time?'. It was because I wanted to talk about Ricardo Mayorga and give him props. I love that dude. Now not sugar coating anything, he is pretty terrible when you are just watching him, and his style. But for some reason, he was extremely good in the ring. Has an excellent resume.

Wins over:
  • Andrew Lewis
  • Vernon Forrest (x2)
  • Fernando Vargas

Also a very questionable loss over Cory Spinks.

VERY questionable. I thought Mayorga won it cleanly. That's always been a shit decision in my book.
King Eugene
Hasim Rahman...one punch wonder!
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 13 2010, 04:52 PM) *
Hasim Rahman...one punch wonder!

Good one. That one totally went under the radar and was a very good example.

He actually falls in the Juarez category. Continually got title shots for nothing.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 13 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Good one. That one totally went under the radar and was a very good example.

He actually falls in the Juarez category. Continually got title shots for nothing.

Well if that's the case.........Frank Bruno. And even possibly his one big victim Oliver McCall. Both guys were good gatekeeper type HW's. But champs of the world?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 10 2010, 02:34 AM) *
VERY questionable. I thought Mayorga won it cleanly. That's always been a shit decision in my book.

I still get pissed about this one. One of my least favorite decisions ever. I absolutely hated the way Spinks went about protecting his early lead by fish flopping to the canvas every 30 seconds the last few rounds to avoid getting thumped. Mayorga would have KO'd him, or at the least dropped him legitimately a few times to win that fight.
JLUVBABY
buster douglas
dennis andries
jeff harding
id even say nigel benn to a large extent...

too many to name really... lol...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.