Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@9PM(ET),8pm(CT),6PM (PT) Lopez vs. Concepcion
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all the action and reactions to tonight's Showtime card.

Jack

Administrator
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
anybody chatting for the fights?
Romulus9
That was impressive.
JonnyBlaze
This is why JML is one of my favorite fighters today..He,Robert Guerrero,and Andre Ward are my top fav. guys today I'd say..They each bring something different to the table..
Lil-lightsout
Great 2 round fight! Him and Marquez will be an amazing fight to watch.
kidbazooka1
Donaire looked awesome but that was expected given the opponent. A fight with Montiel would be a war between two of the best lower weight guys in the game.

JuanMa looked like a beast tonight his power is reminiscing of a young Trinidad and like Tito he got dropped to come back and stop him foe brutaly in the 2nd rd. I a figth with Marquez will be one for the ages I give Lopez the edge but Marquez can never be counted out.
salvador
both fights were good.

I loved Donaire's commitment to the southpaw stance for the first 4 rounds even though his defense (and offense) suffered. What a difference going back to conventional stance! I'd love to see Donaire fight Montiel or Mares. I think he takes Darchinyan more easily in a rematch - Donaire's just too accurate and quick and long for Darchinyan.

Lopez looked great as well. I love that he hit the canvas even though the competition wasn't too fast. Lopez ko's Marquez (Marquez pre Vasquez takes Lopez all day, but Marquez just ain't the same fighter anymore).

Lopez-Gamboa is going to be great. I just hope Arum doesn't press his luck too much by having one of them ko'd first. (I suppose it goes without saying that Caballero is out of the question for either guy.)
D-MARV
I'm pretty shocked that people think Donaire loooked impressive. I thought he looked like shit for the first 5 rounds. Once he changed over to his orthodox stance then he did his thing. He needs to throw the southpaw shit out the window. Lopez was awesome tonight but Marquez will throw shorter, sharper punches then Concepcion and possibly knock Lopez's block off. I can't wait until that fight. If it wasn't during football season I would definitely buy a ticket and go to the fight. Good night overall.
Mean Mister Mustard
JML looked good. I was expecting the fight to go longer than 2 rounds but I guess JML's heavy hands will make short work out of a lot of guys. I expected him to eat some shots from Concepcion but was surprised to see him get knocked down, even though I knew Concepcion has heavy hands. I've read comments from other people saying that JML is chinny, which baffles me. This was the first time he got dropped and he recovered nicely. Apart from last night, in which other instance has he been hurt? The Mtgwa fight? That was more due to exhaustion than having a shit chin. Marquez is the one who is very chinny and I'm sure JML is going to vaporize him, which is going to be unpleaseant since I'm a Rafa fan.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 08:32 AM) *
I'm pretty shocked that people think Donaire loooked impressive. I thought he looked like shit for the first 5 rounds. Once he changed over to his orthodox stance then he did his thing. He needs to throw the southpaw shit out the window.

The thing that was impressive about those first few rounds was that he stuck to his southpaw style even though it wasn't working. He was obviously in with a b-level guy and he wanted to work on his weaknesses. Once he went orthodox, he looked as good as I've ever seen him - sharp, quick, and heavy handed.
D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 11 2010, 10:28 AM) *
The thing that was impressive about those first few rounds was that he stuck to his southpaw style even though it wasn't working. He was obviously in with a b-level guy and he wanted to work on his weaknesses. Once he went orthodox, he looked as good as I've ever seen him - sharp, quick, and heavy handed.

The best I ever seen him was the Vic fight. Donaire took some leather last night and it showed in his post fight interview. This guy is suppose to be a P4P fighter and you are not suppose to look like that after you fight a C level fighter.
The CEO
First off, what the FUCK was that ref doin' in the Main Event??...he was all up in the action, right next to the fighters darting in and out, especially towards Concepcion...

That's VERY distracting...incompetent...and quite possibly corrupt.

I understand a ref gettin' close as to get ready to stop the fight...but this motherfucker was way too close, stepping back and forth, and looked to have an early Lopez stoppage set in his mind from the opening bell...

thumbsdown_anim.gif

Anyway...Lopez got the job done...he obviously has dynamite in his hands and a lacking defense...still a bit green if you ask me...

Matter of fact, I'mma go ahead and pick Marquez over him right now.....Lopez only got 2 rounds in, and Marquez' experience/IQ could be the difference maker...
Jack 1000
You know, we have two potential barnbarners here for as long (or short as they last)

Lopez-Marquez and Lopez-Gamboa.

In each case, it could come down to not only who hits whom first, but the recovery rate of each fighter. Or even have the winner of each fight against each other!

Could either of these fights have the potential to be Hagler-Hearns, WITH knocksowns? I was gonna say Correlas-Castillo I, but I don't think either of these matches goes past 5 rounds. Somebody's going down after taking a some good shots themselves in these fights!!!!

I give Lopez a better shot against Marquez than Gamboa. BUT if Concepcion could drop him, either of these guys could really drop him bad and hurt him. Don't forget that Lopez could do the same to the other opponents too!!!

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 11:13 AM) *
The best I ever seen him was the Vic fight. Donaire took some leather last night and it showed in his post fight interview. This guy is suppose to be a P4P fighter and you are not suppose to look like that after you fight a C level fighter.

Ever see Mayweather-Burton? I know you did, explain that then?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 11 2010, 11:57 AM) *
First off, what the FUCK was that ref doin' in the Main Event??...he was all up in the action, right next to the fighters darting in and out, especially towards Concepcion...

I understand a ref gettin' close as to get ready to stop the fight...but this motherfucker was way too close, stepping back and forth, and looked to have an early Lopez stoppage set in his mind from the opening bell...

thumbsdown_anim.gif

Hahahaha!!! I was thinking the exact same thing. I was just waiting for that early stoppage. laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 10:13 AM) *

The whole reason he took leather was because he obviously considered it a sparring session where he could work on his weaknesses without worrying about losing. Once he went orthodox it wasn't even slightly competitive.

I don't think he should ever be fighting southpaw because it's too late to add it to his game, but the fact that he was willing to stick to it when he obviously wasn't comfortable for him is commendable. It's kind of like a form of bravado, like fighting with one hand behind his back.
salvador
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 11 2010, 11:25 AM) *
You know, we have two potential barnbarners here for as long (or short as they last)

Lopez-Marquez and Lopez-Gamboa.

I give Lopez a better shot against Marquez than Gamboa. BUT if Concepcion could drop him, either of these guys could really drop him bad and hurt him. Don't forget that Lopez could do the same to the other opponents too!!!

Jack

Caballero would be an excellent match for both Gamboa and Lopez. And because Caballero has a solid chin he has a really good chance against both guys.

Unfortunately, Marquez isn't the same fighter he was pre-Vasquez or that could be interesting as well.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 11 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Ever see Mayweather-Burton? I know you did, explain that then?

I don't ever think I said Mayweather was impressive in that fight... Did I?

You obviously missed my point. My point is that Donaire was not all that impressive last night. He did well in the last couple of rounds but considering his opponent, he should have been. I hold Donaire to high standards because he is considered one of the best right now and he was touched up last night by a fighter that had no business going 4 rounds with him. If he used the fight as a sparring session then so be it But let's not say he was "Impressive" last night.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 03:17 PM) *
I don't ever think I said Mayweather was impressive in that fight... Did I?

You obviously missed my point. My point is that Donaire was not all that impressive last night. He did well in the last couple of rounds but considering his opponent, he should have been. I hold Donaire to high standards because he is considered one of the best right now and he was touched up last night by a fighter that had no business going 4 rounds with him. If he used the fight as a sparring session then so be it But let's not say he was "Impressive" last night.

You missed my point completely also.

My only point was basically P4P fighters do have off nights and sometimes fight to the level of there opposition. You wrote "P4P fighters are not supposed to look like that after fighting a C-Level fighter". That is why I brought up the Mayweather-Burton fight, Floyd got hit a lot and looked far from spectacular that night, and he fought a C-Level fighter that night also . Does not mean he is not a P4P'er, like you were implying about Donaire, just means maybe he was not at his best that night?

No doubt Donaire took his opponent lightly and was not at his best last night. So many top fighters need big fights or tough opponents to "get up" and so we see them at their best. I could name you many of fights and fighters who fought below there own level and lost or squeaked by fights to lesser fighters only because there lack of preparation.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 11 2010, 12:54 PM) *
Caballero would be an excellent match for both Gamboa and Lopez. And because Caballero has a solid chin he has a really good chance against both guys.

Unfortunately, Marquez isn't the same fighter he was pre-Vasquez or that could be interesting as well.

Caballero isn't the faster nor the hardest puncher his chin might hold up but he will end up takeing a beating at the hands of Lopez who i believe is overall the more skilled and talented fighter.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 11 2010, 10:57 AM) *

thumbsdown_anim.gif

Anyway...Lopez got the job done...he obviously has dynamite in his hands and a lacking defense...still a bit green if you ask me...

Matter of fact, I'mma go ahead and pick Marquez over him right now.....Lopez only got 2 rounds in, and Marquez' experience/IQ could be the difference maker...

For me,

I didn't notice. However, this may have been due to that great first round when them swapping knockdowns! Some refs are more intrusive than others, and this ref may have been that. But I saw him carefully watching the action, not so much looking to step in. Notice that when Concepcion goes down before the stoppage, the ref starts to count, but it's only AFTER Concepcion goes down again after starting to get up that he makes the call to stop it. That second round knockdown was sharp, definitive, and definite. It wouldn't have been to much longer before Lopez could have REALLY hurt him.

If the ref wanted the earlier stoppage, he could have stopped it before Concepcion's shocking at the bell knockdown, but he didn't. I've seen Luis Pabon ref before and don't recall any problems with him.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 11 2010, 05:44 PM) *
You missed my point completely also.

My only point was basically P4P fighters do have off nights and sometimes fight to the level of there opposition. You wrote "P4P fighters are not supposed to look like that after fighting a C-Level fighter". That is why I brought up the Mayweather-Burton fight, Floyd got hit a lot and looked far from spectacular that night, and he fought a C-Level fighter that night also . Does not mean he is not a P4P'er, like you were implying about Donaire, just means maybe he was not at his best that night?

No doubt Donaire took his opponent lightly and was not at his best last night. So many top fighters need big fights or tough opponents to "get up" and so we see them at their best. I could name you many of fights and fighters who fought below there own level and lost or squeaked by fights to lesser fighters only because there lack of preparation.

Again... you missed my point, I'll try to be as simple as I can with you.

My argument is that Donaire wasn't all that impressive last night. I never said he wasn't P4P material... I said that his performance last night wasn't P4P material. You then felt the need to bring up Floyd's name which is irrelevant to my argument. Did you find Donaire's performance impressive?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Again... you missed my point, I'll try to be as simple as I can with you.

My argument is that Donaire wasn't all that impressive last night. I never said he wasn't P4P material... I said that his performance last night wasn't P4P material. You then felt the need to bring up Floyd's name which is irrelevant to my argument. Did you find Donaire's performance impressive?

Hahahaha.

Listen man, Donaire was NOT impressive last night.

You DID say in your original statement that "a P4P" fighter is not supposed to look like that against a C-Level fighter. To me you are implying or questioning him being a true P4P fighter. Otherwise why would you say that???

The only reason I brought up the Floyd fight is cause it is basically the same thing. Just cause you have an off night or not look your best does not mean you should question his P4P status.

Shit PW has had a few off nights and you STILL keep him in your P4P top fighters.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 11 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Hahahaha.

Listen man, Donaire was NOT impressive last night.

You DID say in your original statement that "a P4P" fighter is not supposed to look like that against a C-Level fighter. To me you are implying or questioning him being a true P4P fighter. Otherwise why would you say that???

The only reason I brought up the Floyd fight is cause it is basically the same thing. Just cause you have an off night or not look your best does not mean you should question his P4P status.

Shit PW has had a few off nights and you STILL keep him in your P4P top fighters.

Well, do you disagree with me? Or do you think P4P fighters should look average against C class fighters? I haven't dismissed Donaire as a P4P fighter as I understand that fighters DO have off nights. My whole point is/was that Donaire was not all that impressive last night.

LOL... now I see you're bringing PWill into the discussion... LMAO.

Dude, PWill had a shitty night against Quintana and I immediately took him off my list... Since then he's dominated quality fighters at multiple weight classes and climbed his way back on the lists. He wasn't dominate against Martinez but Martinez is a GREAT fighter whom I also rate very highly. Big difference from Martinez and the guy Donaire fought last night.

I hope you understand where I' coming from now. I NEVER said Donaire was overrated or wasn't a P4P fighter but he sure didn't look his best olast night. I'm not sure what this has to do with Floyd or PWill but whatever.
JD
A P4P player can have an off night against a fighter they should dominate...as long as the find a way to win, and don't make a habit out of looking so-so.
thefloatingmonkey
Not sure why people consider Donaire to be a p4p fighter. He has had little opposition throughout his career. He is a good fighter and looks sharp in the ring (not when he fights left handed), but I would say it is a little too early to say he is a p4p fighter. He needs to start fighting better competition.
D-MARV
QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Jul 11 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Not sure why people consider Donaire to be a p4p fighter. He has had little opposition throughout his career. He is a good fighter and looks sharp in the ring (not when he fights left handed), but I would say it is a little too early to say he is a p4p fighter. He needs to start fighting better competition.

I have no problem putting Donaire in the top 10 (I personally have him somewhere along those lines). In the past, Donaire has shown to have an impressive skill set. Someone mentioned, last night in the chat room, that Donaire has one of the best left hooks in the game and I completely agree. I expect his level of competition to rise.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 07:27 PM) *
I have no problem putting Donaire in the top 10 (I personally have him somewhere along those lines). In the past, Donaire has shown to have an impressive skill set. Someone mentioned, last night in the chat room, that Donaire has one of the best left hooks in the game and I completely agree. I expect his level of competition to rise.

It's almost like Donaire has to beat Darchinyan again to prove the first fight was not a fluke to many people. But Vic does not seem to want the rematch.

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
This thread has raised an important question: Is Donaire p4p material? I think he is but I disagree with the position Ring Magazine have given him ( they have him at #4). He beat Darchinyan 3 years ago and has fought no big names since. To his credit he has looked impressive in his subsequent fights, with 1 or 2 exceptions, but one wonders whether that earns him the #4 spot.
kidbazooka1
Donaire definitly has p4p skills but his resume is shaky his only good win was ofcourse the win over Darch but i can't blame him for that it seems Arum isn't doing his best to get him the big fights.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Well, do you disagree with me? Or do you think P4P fighters should look average against C class fighters? I haven't dismissed Donaire as a P4P fighter as I understand that fighters DO have off nights. My whole point is/was that Donaire was not all that impressive last night.

LOL... now I see you're bringing PWill into the discussion... LMAO.

Dude, PWill had a shitty night against Quintana and I immediately took him off my list... Since then he's dominated quality fighters at multiple weight classes and climbed his way back on the lists. He wasn't dominate against Martinez but Martinez is a GREAT fighter whom I also rate very highly. Big difference from Martinez and the guy Donaire fought last night.

I hope you understand where I' coming from now. I NEVER said Donaire was overrated or wasn't a P4P fighter but he sure didn't look his best olast night. I'm not sure what this has to do with Floyd or PWill but whatever.

I pretty much agree with what JD and Fitz have stated on the Donaire situation.

Come on... you know I had to throw in PW to the mix. laugh.gif Don't forget Paul was getting roughed up pretty good before CINTRON flew out of the ring. Not exactly a stellar performance there either, just didn't want you to forget that one either.

If you still have no clue the resemblance of the Mayweather-Burton fight way back, and what I compared this fight to ONLY because of your statement in your original response, I feel sorry for you. I do not know how to explain it any more clearer.

And for the record, Mosley is NOT on my top 10 P4P list after his dismissal fight against Floyd.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 11 2010, 10:30 PM) *
It's almost like Donaire has to beat Darchinyan again to prove the first fight was not a fluke to many people. But Vic does not seem to want the rematch.

Jack

Agree 1000%!!! That bitch Darchinnyan wants no part of Donaire again. He's been running for years and will continue to and while making his lame ass excuses. laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 12 2010, 01:03 AM) *
Agree 1000%!!! That bitch Darchinnyan wants no part of Donaire again. He's been running for years and will continue to and while making his lame ass excuses. laugh.gif

Yup Darch wants nothing to do with Donaire i highly doubt that fight will ever happen again.
D-MARV
I wish people would take 2 fucking minutes and read what was written. No where have I stated that Donaire wasn't P4P material based on his performance Saturday night. I said that he wasn't impressive after it had been stated several times in this thread that he was. Bringing up other fighters who had nothing to do with Saturday night will not change my mind of what I thought about Donaire performance on Saturday night.

I pretty much agree with what JD and Fitz have stated on the Donaire situation.

Come on... you know I had to throw in PW to the mix. laugh.gif Don't forget Paul was getting roughed up pretty good before CINTRON flew out of the ring. Not exactly a stellar performance there either, just didn't want you to forget that one either.

If you still have no clue the resemblance of the Mayweather-Burton fight way back, and what I compared this fight to ONLY because of your statement in your original response, I feel sorry for you. I do not know how to explain it any more clearer.

And for the record, Mosley is NOT on my top 10 P4P list after his dismissal fight against Floyd.

Now here you go bringing up more fighters that had nothing to do with Donaire's performance on Saturday night. Molsey had nothing to do with my thoughts of Saturaday night. I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with what I'm saying. Paul Williams wasn't looking great against Cintron (Sure as hell wasn't getting roughed up like you claim) but AGAIN, Cintron is not the guy Donaire fought on Saturday. Do you see where I'm going with this? Level of opposition makes a difference.

Again people, I didn't think Donaire's performance on Saturday was all that impressive. That does NOT mean that I don't think he's P4P material.

AND LMAFO at people thinking VIc is afraid to fight Donaire again. Vic has been wanting that rematch forever.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 11 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Okay, this is your ORIGINAL response. And it only took me a few seconds to read, I do not need "2 fucking minutes" to read it. Now YOU read the bolded part, take the full 2 minutes if you need to. To me you are questioning his P4P status in your statement. I will break it down for you.

1-You used the word "suppose" twice, basically you yourself are questioning if he is P4P worthy, because of what a C-Level fighter did to him.

2- You never mentioned anything about him here having an off night in this response, which led to my rebuttal.

3- My ONLY comparison of the Mayweather-Burton fight was Floyd was a P4P fighter fighting a C-Level fighter in Burton that night, and Floyd also was not impressive that night and as good as he is should have never looked that sub-par against Burton. Everybody knows how untouchable and awesome he is when he is on, just not like him to get touched up so much against Burton that night. Chalk it up to not one of his better performances for whatever reasons. Still no one should question his P4P status cause of one bad performance. Sorry if you can not see the resemblance.

4-Can you honestly not read the bolded part and read between the lines what you are getting at? I mean you wrote P4P fighters are not suppose to look like that after fighting a C-Level fighter. So what does it make Donaire??? BECAUSE HE DID LOOK LIKE THAT AFTER FIGHTING A C-LEVEL FIGHTER!!! Obviously in your eyes NOT a P4P fighter.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2010, 06:08 AM) *
Now here you go bringing up more fighters that had nothing to do with Donaire's performance on Saturday night. Molsey had nothing to do with my thoughts of Saturaday night. I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with what I'm saying. Paul Williams wasn't looking great against Cintron (Sure as hell wasn't getting roughed up like you claim) but AGAIN, Cintron is not the guy Donaire fought on Saturday. Do you see where I'm going with this? Level of opposition makes a difference.

Again people, I didn't think Donaire's performance on Saturday was all that impressive. That does NOT mean that I don't think he's P4P material.

AND LMAFO at people thinking VIc is afraid to fight Donaire again. Vic has been wanting that rematch forever.

Most everybody on this board thought, probably you included, thought Cintron was and is a joke and PW would smoke him. So don't give me this crap about level of opposition, cause Cintron is a joke around here and was supposed to get hammered.

I bring up other fighters to use them as examples in situations pertaining to whats' being talked about at hand to use in comparison or whatever.

Now on to the Vic statement...hahahaha. Sarcasm man. I do not follow all the BS why the rematch has not been made, or whose fault it is or whatever. I was just fucking with Fitz cause he is in love with Vic and was hoping to get a rise out of him. I saw how Fitz reacted to Jack's original "Vic does not seem to want the fight" statement. So I figured I would see if Fitz would respond to my anti-Vic statement, but he just ignored my shitty attempt to bait him. I am sure he knew I was messing with him.
D-MARV
I'm going to say a few things and be done with this discussion because it is beyond silly.

Fact: Donaire was NOT all that impressive on Saturday night. There were comments made in this thread (not by you) that he was impressive Saturday night. Considering his opponent and the fact that he was getting touched up in the first 4 or 5 rounds, I would say that his performance was far from impressive. I undertsand that he was working on a few things as he mentioned this going into the fight but the truth of the matter is that he looked pretty ordinary fighting out of the Southpaw stance.

My comment "P4P fighters are not suppose to look like that after a fight with C level competition" referred to the fact that I DO recognize him as a P4P player and his performance did not support that theory. I never once said that Donaire was NOT a P4P player becuae of this performance. You then felt the need to bring up Floyd's name into the discussion. You made the comparison to a very young Floyd vs Burton. I see where you were getting at but AGAIN I never said that Floyd's performance against Burton was impressive NOR do I even remeber if I had Floyd ranked at the time.

You then brought up PWill. I'm not sure how you can consider 3 BORING rounds and one solid punch as "Roughing Up" PWill. Sure, PWill didn't look like a murderer in there but if you go back and watch many of PWill's fights, he really doesn't get himself going until the midway point. You Nor I have NO clue how that fight would have turned out But PWill certainly wasn't getting "roughed up" in that fight... outboxed, maybe.

The Vic comment wasn't aimed at you. I actually didn't even realize you made that comment. I must've overlooked it.
Keith
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2010, 09:34 AM) *
Sure, PWill didn't look like a murderer in there but if you go back and watch many of PWill's fights, he really doesn't get himself going until the midway point.

I'm not trying to bust your balls.... but this this just isnt true.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 12 2010, 12:11 PM) *
I'm not trying to bust your balls.... but this this just isnt true.

His activity level isn't low but he normally gives up a few rounds before he starts overwhelming his opponents with the exception of the Margarito fight. I recall Williams giving up early rounds against Martinez, Winky, Quintana (1), Cintron, and Matthysse.

Actually in the Cintron fight, PWill started extremely slow. He was hardly throwing anything. My only guess would be that he was trying to avoid being so reckless.
Keith
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2010, 12:49 PM) *
His activity level isn't low but he normally gives up a few rounds before he starts overwhelming his opponents with the exception of the Margarito fight. I recall Williams giving up early rounds against Martinez, Winky, Quintana (1), Cintron, and Matthysse.

Actually in the Cintron fight, PWill started extremely slow. He was hardly throwing anything. My only guess would be that he was trying to avoid being so reckless.

What rds did he give away to Winky? He starched him from the opening bell. He knocked Martinez down in the 1st rd...granted he was later knocked down as well. He ko'd Quintana in the 1st in the rematch. He didnt see to give away much against Vernon Phillips as well. And as you stated he pretty much starched Margarito for the first 6 rds.

Imo... I think it would be much more accurate to say he's starts fast.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 12 2010, 03:39 PM) *
What rds did he give away to Winky? He starched him from the opening bell. He knocked Martinez down in the 1st rd...granted he was later knocked down as well. He ko'd Quintana in the 1st in the rematch. He didnt see to give away much against Vernon Phillips as well. And as you stated he pretty much starched Margarito for the first 6 rds.

Imo... I think it would be much more accurate to say he's starts fast.

I guess you can say that PWill starts fast... But his style is to overwhelm you which normally doesn't happen until later in the fight. I just don't think it's fair to assume PWill was getting "roughed up" against Cintron especially after 3 rounds were completed. PWill is a fighter that gets stronger as the fight goes on.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 12 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Paul Williams starts off and fights at one pace, and a very fast pace. His opponents become overwhelmed half way through because they can't keep up with the pace anymore, not really because Williams turns it up. Becomes too much for them by half way. I personally think he fights at one pace, and that is fast.

You're exactly right... PWill has the style that overwhelms his opponents. Judging 3 rounds of the Cintron fight isn't really the best way to classify Williams in a P4P discussion.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2010, 06:29 PM) *
You're exactly right... PWill has the style that overwhelms his opponents. Judging 3 rounds of the Cintron fight isn't really the best way to classify Williams in a P4P discussion.

My criticism of Paul is that he often fights to the level of his opposition. He is a warrior though.

On the other thread, the 'glad it didn't happen thread', I'd say he dodged a bullet not fighting Hopkins.
Mean Mister Mustard
I think his ability to take so many flush shots will catch up to him eventually. He's 29 and he's in his prime but it would not surpise me to see him done by age 33.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 12 2010, 09:01 PM) *
I think his ability to take so many flush shots will catch up to him eventually. He's 29 and he's in his prime but it would not surpise me to see him done by age 33.

That's the most frustrating thing with PWill. He has only fought once this year and that fight ended on some bullshit. He has no other fight planned thus far and his prime years are ticking. I only give him another 2 or 3 years before he slows down. His last interview sounded like he was slurring a bit.
Lil-lightsout
When I originally stated "Cintron roughed up Williams in those 3 rounds, that was ONLY to mess with Dmarv a little. It obviously worked cause he mentioned it a few time already. And for the record, OF COURSE you can not judge a fight off of just 3 rounds, I was just baiting you with that statement.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 12 2010, 08:12 PM) *
That's the most frustrating thing with PWill. He has only fought once this year and that fight ended on some bullshit. He has no other fight planned thus far and his prime years are ticking. I only give him another 2 or 3 years before he slows down. His last interview sounded like he was slurring a bit.

I've yet to notice him slurring..

On another note,I thought Cintron won that fight based on those couple of rounds..I gave em all except for maybe 1 to Cintron..I thought it was easy to score that fight..
King Eugene
PWill doesn't slur. James Toney Slurs but PWill does talk like his tongue is too fat though. I noticed that a long time ago. He seems to have missed a few English classes back in his day.
JLUVBABY
i think p will just has a country ass southern drall to his speech...
JD
I think the weight jumping is effecting Williams. If he goes to welter, I would not be surprised to see him lose to someone I would have otherwise picked him over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.