Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@11PM(ET),10PM(CT),8PM(PT)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all comments on tonight's Showbox card. Keep everything here. No public streams.

Jack
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think this will be a very good fight card. I'm very intrigued by the main event and the Shawn Porter fight. Robinson is a tall fighter, and we all saw Russell Jordan give Porter problems with his height. Robinson is not as talented as Porter, but he has the height and reach advantage. I think he'll give Porter fits at times tonight. However, Porter is a really talented fighter and he will wear Robinson down. I think after some cautious early rounds, Porter will pick it up. Robinson will win some of those early rounds, but Showtime Porter will bring the heat. Porter likes to work that body too, and he'll get to the lanky Robinson. I see Porter stopping him in the 9th round in a competitive fight.

I think Ishe Smith will pull off an upset tonight. Guerrero is a good fighter, but he's not on Smith's level. Guerrero will come forward, but Smith won't brawl with him like Jesse Nicklow. He also won't just stand there taking punishment like Mike Walker did. Smith will dodge shots, but the only question is whether he'll let his hands go enough to win rounds. Ossie Duran was able to put him on the canvas, and I expect Ishe to fight well tonight. I mean he stunned Danny Jacobs, and put up a good fight there. This guy is not on the level of Danny Jacobs, and he's going to eat counter shots all night. Ishe will win a wide UD.

I saw Guerrero, Porter, and Lane all fight live last December in Hinckley. They'll put on exciting fights, and it should be a solid show tonight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Smith has a style that will confuse and annoy most immature fighters. We'll see what happens.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That was another fight where Sugar Shay just can't get over the hump. He was competitive, and had his moments, but he was just outworked at times. I thought he would win, but he just didn't let it go enough. I thought he let the ref get in his head too much with the body shots. After the 3rd round, there was a difference in Smith's body language. It was like he was discouraged from the low-blow warnings. That really affected rounds 3-7, and that was apparent on the scorecards. He came out good early and finished pretty well, but just couldn't pull it out. Guerrero is a good fighter, but I can't see him competiting with Danny Jacobs at 160. I think him and Chavez Jr. would make one hell of a fight too. His handlers won't put him in with a top 10 guy next fight I don't think. I think we'll see him fight somebody like Miguel Espino on shobox again. He's a fun fighter to watch though, so he'll get the TV dates.

Speaking of fun fights to watch, Shawn Porter-Ray Robinson was an excellent fight. The scores do not reflect how competitive this bout was either. I had it 95-94 Porter, but there were a lot of close rounds. Robinson gave a good effort, and threw a lot of punches. Porter landed the harder shots, and the judges were impressed by that. Showtime didn't mention much about Porter's body attack either. Porter attacked the body well, and landed some nice shots.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 17 2010, 03:13 AM) *
That was another fight where Sugar Shay just can't get over the hump. He was competitive, and had his moments, but he was just outworked at times. I thought he would win, but he just didn't let it go enough. I thought he let the ref get in his head too much with the body shots. After the 3rd round, there was a difference in Smith's body language. It was like he was discouraged from the low-blow warnings. That really affected rounds 3-7, and that was apparent on the scorecards. He came out good early and finished pretty well, but just couldn't pull it out. Guerrero is a good fighter, but I can't see him competiting with Danny Jacobs at 160. I think him and Chavez Jr. would make one hell of a fight too. His handlers won't put him in with a top 10 guy next fight I don't think. I think we'll see him fight somebody like Miguel Espino on shobox again. He's a fun fighter to watch though, so he'll get the TV dates.

Speaking of fun fights to watch, Shawn Porter-Ray Robinson was an excellent fight. The scores do not reflect how competitive this bout was either. I had it 95-94 Porter, but there were a lot of close rounds. Robinson gave a good effort, and threw a lot of punches. Porter landed the harder shots, and the judges were impressed by that. Showtime didn't mention much about Porter's body attack either. Porter attacked the body well, and landed some nice shots.

I was impressed by Robinson who started to come foward and banged Porter on the inside after having been knocked down and hurt the previous round. Porter has a great deal of talent (physical that is) with his speed, power and resolve but his defence wasn't all that impressive. He got caught flush many times and was lucky that Robinson could not maintain the same snap in his punches as he had earlier. Then again that was due to Porter banging the body as you mentioned but still I don't see porter being a great fighter unless he tightens that defense or it turns out he has a granite chin and doesn't need head movement.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I agree, if Robinson had more power Porter may have seen the canvas. He was getting hit flush by left hands and right hooks all night. I thought Robinson had things going in those early rounds with that length, but Porter showed why he was superior. Still, he let Robinson get back into the fight in those late rounds. That was unfortunate, as I was expecting him to put Robinson away. There's no way that fight was 99-89 either, that judge really messed up.

I also had Smith ahead 95-93, but it wasn't a robbery like some are reporting. He really let rounds 3-7 go, as the ref seemed to get in his head. Rounds 2 and 10 were close as well. I gave Smith both rounds two and ten though, but it was a close, competitive, and really good fight. He needs to fight every round like he fought that 9th round last night. He looked great in that round, and showed all his potential. He was making Guerrero miss and making him pay. It's a real shame he can't put that together for 10 rounds, as he could beat a lot of fighters. He's clearly on the level of guys like Fernando Guerrero and Danny Jacobs, but just can't get over the hump. Ishe Smith needs to be mentally stronger in there, and not cuss at the ref or let the ref dictate the way he fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.