Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Is The Bravest and The Most Coward Boxers of All Time
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
dominicbuilder9k1
I want to get the consensus of all boxing fans as to who they think is the TOP 5 BRAVEST boxers and the TOP 5 COWARD boxers of all time...

Then we will send notification to ESPN and HBO to at least present the award to whoever will win..
It is not necessary to give all 5 names in the bravest or coward category...but it will be appreciated if you justify the reason of your answer...

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jul 19 2010, 01:12 AM) *
I want to get the consensus of all boxing fans as to who they think is the TOP 5 BRAVEST boxers and the TOP 5 COWARD boxers of all time...

Then we will send notification to ESPN and HBO to at least present the award to whoever will win..
It is not necessary to give all 5 names in the bravest or coward category...but it will be appreciated if you justify the reason of your answer...

Bravest---I'd have to say Holyfield---He'll fight anyone no matter what their size..He fought Valuev who was 100 lbs more than him and didn't care..,Dempsey---He seriously thought he was going to die in the Willard fight but went through with the fight and destroyed Willard..Braddock---When he fought Baer everyone was telling him he was going to be another victim killed by Baer but he went through with the fight against all odds and won and became the heavyweight champ..Corrales---He was down and out in the Castillo fight but didn't give up and got back up and finished Castillo in the same round..He put his life on the line in that fight..I can remember him saying he was willing to die in the ring and that night he proved it to everyone..

Coward---Mayweather---He is very selective in who he fights and also fights for money,not legacy..Riddick Bowe for ONLY 1 reason--he threw his belt in the garbage instead of fighting Lennox..Very cowardly move but I don't think that's enough to put him on the list,but maybe..
Hops
This thread should be renamed: BRAVEST and LEAST BRAVE Boxers of all time. And inside the ring.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Hops @ Jul 19 2010, 03:12 AM) *
This thread should be renamed: BRAVEST and LEAST BRAVE Boxers of all time. And inside the ring.

Good point..Every boxer is brave as fuck to get in the ring..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Least brave: Bruce Seldon V. Tyson, he fainted after almost being hit with a punch.

I could also mention Tyson for biting holyfield's ear but I put that in a different category. Like Oliver McCall I think he actually had a breakdown in the ring. Both guys promoted by Don King and pushed into fights they weren't ready for. Coincidence? I think not.

As much as it pains me to say it, Duran in the 2nd Leonard fight. He was going got take a beating and he chickened out.

Ali probably the bravest I can think of. When he knew his skills had diminished he resorted to laying on the ropes taking horrendous punishment from guys to win fights. After watching Zaire and Manila just insane what he put himself through in the latter part of his career.
Fitz
I'm throwing Cintron in there right now.
Hops
I take my words back. From LEAST BRAVE to COWARDS.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Im doing modern fighters

bravest

1. Vinnie Pazienza.. Came back to fight from a broken neck.

2. Arturo Gatti.. Enough said

3. Buster Douglas...even if for just one night

4. Ali....Any man that knows he has to get beat on for that long just to get his punches in, is pretty damn brave

5. Meldrick Taylor... to stand in front of chavez and take that kind of punishment, get knocked down at the end of the fight and to get up, hats off to you meldrick.

Least brave

1. David haye, you cant talk a big game and run from the klichkos like he has and be considered anything less.

2. floyd mayweather jr, being smart about business, or whatever he wants to call it, it just looks cowardly

3. riddick bowe, not fighting lewis

4. Bruce seldon

5. hector comacho Jr.

Fitz
I really wish you guys knew just how bad it is. But Anthony Mundine. Right now? He is the biggest coward in boxing, he has Cintron covered. Take my word for it.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 19 2010, 07:15 AM) *
meldrick.

Least brave

2. floyd mayweather jr, being smart about business, or whatever he wants to call it, it just looks cowardly

But you have Roy Jones Jr in you Avatar? LOL.

Fitz,
I see right through Mundine. He's a first class bitch in my opinion. Good Call
Maxy
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 19 2010, 06:25 AM) *
I really wish you guys knew just how bad it is. But Anthony Mundine. Right now? He is the biggest coward in boxing, he has Cintron covered. Take my word for it.

Surely Audley Harrison takes that mantel? He's the only fighter I can think of who literally fights scared. If an opponent feints to throw a punch, Harrison flinches with his eyes shut, almost as if he is petrified to be hit. It's almost laughable watching him box.
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 19 2010, 06:03 AM) *
As much as it pains me to say it, Duran in the 2nd Leonard fight. He was going got take a beating and he chickened out.

Thats a huge misconception. Duran didnt want to CHASE Sugar Ray all night, so he basically said "Fuck this, dude is show-boating and not taking this match seriously". In their first fight, Sugar Ray traded with him. Second fight, Ray damn near did flashy cartwheels which seemed to be more annoying to Duran than actually PHYSICALLY effective. Being sick already, he said "Lets fight later, when I can actually chase and pound you again...instead of you running all night, and I am too fat and sickly to catch up with you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDYnO9gGwIQ...feature=related
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Jul 19 2010, 02:35 PM) *
Thats a huge misconception. Duran didnt want to CHASE Sugar Ray all night, so he basically said "Fuck this, dude is show-boating and not taking this match seriously". In their first fight, Sugar Ray traded with him. Second fight, Ray damn near did flashy cartwheels which seemed to be more annoying to Duran than actually PHYSICALLY effective. Being sick already, he said "Lets fight later, when I can actually chase and pound you again...instead of you running all night, and I am too fat and sickly to catch up with you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDYnO9gGwIQ...feature=related

So he quit before they even started then? I like Duran, but lets not offer his unpreparedness as an excuse.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Hops @ Jul 18 2010, 09:12 PM) *

I agree, but there has to be a clear contradiction that's why the title crop up like it is...

Anyhow,...it seem there really is / are boxers who are afraid or scared to fight their match.....and we can call them coward...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 18 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Bravest---I'd have to say Holyfield---He'll fight anyone no matter what their size..He fought Valuev who was 100 lbs more than him and didn't care..,Dempsey---He seriously thought he was going to die in the Willard fight but went through with the fight and destroyed Willard..Braddock---When he fought Baer everyone was telling him he was going to be another victim killed by Baer but he went through with the fight against all odds and won and became the heavyweight champ..Corrales---He was down and out in the Castillo fight but didn't give up and got back up and finished Castillo in the same round..He put his life on the line in that fight..I can remember him saying he was willing to die in the ring and that night he proved it to everyone..

Coward---Mayweather---He is very selective in who he fights and also fights for money,not legacy..Riddick Bowe for ONLY 1 reason--he threw his belt in the garbage instead of fighting Lennox..Very cowardly move but I don't think that's enough to put him on the list,but maybe..
...thanks for the clear explanation...by the way,...Holyfield is actually not a natural heavyweight...he was brave,,,and still showed it when he face the giant...
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 19 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Im doing modern fighters

bravest

1. Vinnie Pazienza.. Came back to fight from a broken neck.

2. Arturo Gatti.. Enough said

3. Buster Douglas...even if for just one night

4. Ali....Any man that knows he has to get beat on for that long just to get his punches in, is pretty damn brave

5. Meldrick Taylor... to stand in front of chavez and take that kind of punishment, get knocked down at the end of the fight and to get up, hats off to you meldrick.

Least brave

1. David haye, you cant talk a big game and run from the klichkos like he has and be considered anything less.

3. riddick bowe, not fighting lewis

4. Bruce seldon

5. hector comacho Jr.

Good answer....but david haye is not least brave...he is coward in as far as the Klitschko brothers and millions of boxing fans are concern
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jul 19 2010, 05:42 PM) *
...thanks for the clear explanation...by the way,...Holyfield is actually not a natural heavyweight...he was brave,,,and still showed it when he face the giant...

Deary me Johnny, I thought you would have known that already.
Method
Bravest? Gatti is among them

Biggest Coward? Wladdy.
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 19 2010, 10:26 AM) *
So he quit before they even started then? I like Duran, but lets not offer his unpreparedness as an excuse.

I am saying there is a difference between a COWARD and Duran. It was still wack that he didnt go out on his shield, but cowardice implies a lack of willingness to fight. I think Duran WANTED to fight. I think he wasnt physically ABLE to literally spend every round chasing a boxer who didnt plan on boxing that night, who was basically just waiting for him to get exhausted. Slight difference, in my opinion.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Jul 19 2010, 04:04 PM) *
I am saying there is a difference between a COWARD and Duran. It was still wack that he didnt go out on his shield, but cowardice implies a lack of willingness to fight. I think Duran WANTED to fight. I think he wasnt physically ABLE to literally spend every round chasing a boxer who didnt plan on boxing that night, who was basically just waiting for him to get exhausted. Slight difference, in my opinion.

I agree, Duran was all balls, his skin was scrotum. He didn't see any point in getting further outboxed by Leonard that night especially when he knew he was in no shape to land a miraculous shot. Was it dreadful that he quit? Absolutely, but a coward he was not especially since he was one of the fiercest fighters at lightweight and would go on to fight Hagler and Hearns.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 19 2010, 04:31 PM) *
I agree, Duran was all balls, his skin was scrotum. He didn't see any point in getting further outboxed by Leonard that night especially when he knew he was in no shape to land a miraculous shot. Was it dreadful that he quit? Absolutely, but a coward he was not especially since he was one of the fiercest fighters at lightweight and would go on to fight Hagler and Hearns.

I do agree with this POV and I understand it. But that night for whatever reason (and yes I've seen enough doco's on the fight to understand them) he wasn't prepared to stand there and take his loss like a man. i've seen fighters in a ring (we all have) who know they have nothing, but still see the fight through to it's inevitable conclusion.

Sure Duran went on to right that wrong but that night he did something which to me is about the biggest no no you can do in the sport. I don't give a shit about frustration or whatever nor the excuses he is STILL offering over that situation. 'No mas' was a cowardly act. Can you imagine the shitstorm if Floyd offered that up in a fight?

DISCLAIMER: I think that as a person SRL is undoubtely the bigger turd.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 11:13 PM) *

Mundine was travelling OK for a while. He had fights with Green, Kessler and Soliman. After the rematch with Soliman, it was all down hill from there. He took Soliman in a 3rd pointless fight.
He picks up a 168 title from the garbage, defends it and then all of a sudden. Kessler is now Mundine's mandatory again. Instead of Mundine defending it, what did he do? If your next response was to get rid of it, and move up. You are wrong, he actually got rid of it, and worked backwards. He moved down rather than face Kessler again. Since then, he has been feasting on bums from 3rd world countries, picking up titles and every now and again. Will throw a name like Pavlik out there to look like he is trying. He has now moved down again to pick up some bullshit 154 title, and he called out Cotto in his last fight, LOL.
That guy deserves terrible things towards him, and he also has every single fight PPV down here, no matter who he fights.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 19 2010, 05:22 PM) *
I do agree with this POV and I understand it. But that night for whatever reason (and yes I've seen enough doco's on the fight to understand them) he wasn't prepared to stand there and take his loss like a man. i've seen fighters in a ring (we all have) who know they have nothing, but still see the fight through to it's inevitable conclusion.

Sure Duran went on to right that wrong but that night he did something which to me is about the biggest no no you can do in the sport. I don't give a shit about frustration or whatever nor the excuses he is STILL offering over that situation. 'No mas' was a cowardly act. Can you imagine the shitstorm if Floyd offered that up in a fight?

DISCLAIMER: I think that as a person SRL is undoubtely the bigger turd.

I agree Ollie, which is why I said that what he did that night was dreadful but it was one instant and compared to all the other things Duran did before and after that moment, he does not deserve to be in any list titled "most coward boxer of all time".
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 19 2010, 05:22 PM) *
'No mas' was a cowardly act.

Another misconception. He never said that. What he said was more to the effect of "I aint gonna keep chasing this clown"...(loose translation, but considered more accurate)
Fitz
Actions speak louder than words, in the end. His actions spelt "no mas". Do I think he is a coward? No. He still quit because he was getting embarrassed in the fight though.
D-MARV
Duran a Coward? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Get the fuck outta here.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 11:13 AM) *
But you have Roy Jones Jr in you Avatar? LOL.

Fitz,

Roy jones fought james toney in his prime when toney was considered unbeatable, he fought a young prime hopkins, beat him. Came back from his first loss and destroyed Montell Griffen. Crunched HOF'er Virgil hill with a body shot. Went to heavyweight and beat John Ruiz, and finally he went to to fight tarver three times, even though he knew after the first tarver foght he didnt have it anymore. Then he fought Glen Johnson, Clazage, and Hopkins again.

Sorry Dude, Roy Jones is anything but cowardly.

I didnt call him the most brave, but he is not cowardly
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 19 2010, 04:57 PM) *

Biggest Coward? Wladdy.

I would agree with you on that Method if Wlad hadnt fought sam peter and kept getting up to fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 19 2010, 07:16 PM) *
Roy jones fought james toney in his prime when toney was considered unbeatable, he fought a young prime hopkins, beat him. Came back from his first loss and destroyed Montell Griffen. Crunched HOF'er Virgil hill with a body shot. Went to heavyweight and beat John Ruiz, and finally he went to to fight tarver three times, even though he knew after the first tarver foght he didnt have it anymore. Then he fought Glen Johnson, Clazage, and Hopkins again.

Sorry Dude, Roy Jones is anything but cowardly.

I didnt call him the most brave, but he is not cowardly

LOL... Dude, Roy Jones is one of my ALL TIME favs... I never called him cowardly. You said Floyd looked cowardly because he made some "Smart Business" moves... Roy made some smart business moves as well. We can sit down and compare their careers if you want BUT Floyd's resume is better than Roy's.

By the way, You're the first person in History that has hated Floyd and liked Roy...LOL. Most people either like them both or hate their guts.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 09:27 PM) *
LOL... Dude, Roy Jones is one of my ALL TIME favs... I never called him cowardly. You said Floyd looked cowardly because he made some "Smart Business" moves... Roy made some smart business moves as well. We can sit down and compare their careers if you want BUT Floyd's resume is better than Roy's.

By the way, You're the first person in History that has hated Floyd and liked Roy...LOL. Most people either like them both or hate their guts.

I would absolutly love to hear how Floyds career is better than roys

How many Hof'ers has Floyd fought and beat in their prime?
Run and Gun Game Calls
Funny thing is I like Pernell Whitaker too, lol

Cant stand Floyd
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jul 19 2010, 11:42 AM) *

Exactly..Holyfield and Chris Byrd both forced their body to become a heavyweight and both were successful..Holy fought EVERYONE..Who in the division did he not fight??He fought the best really big guys and he fought the best guys a little closer to his weight..
KENSOFINE
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 07:27 PM) *
Roy made some smart business moves as well. We can sit down and compare their careers if you want BUT Floyd's resume is better than Roy's.

THEEEE MOST RETARDED statement I probably have ever read on this site.

No bullshit. Roy RAN OUT of fighters in his division, after CLEANING IT OUT. 7 Titles at ONE TIME. Floyd has done that? EVER?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 19 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Deary me Johnny, I thought you would have known that already.

hahahaha..Dude,you know that I know..It was not needed to be said but I guess Dom didn't know my knowledge of Holy..Dom,Holy is one of my favorite fighters ever..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 19 2010, 01:57 PM) *

Biggest Coward? Wladdy.

Wlad??Dude that makes no sense..Who did he avoid??He continues to say he wants to fight the best..If you mean his style is coward like,well,Sam Peter put him down 3 times and he got back up and almost KO'd Peter in the last round of their fight..He would have been the first to put Peter down..Wlad exposed Peter and softened him up for everyone else..
D-MARV
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Jul 19 2010, 07:45 PM) *
THEEEE MOST RETARDED statement I probably have ever read on this site.

No bullshit. Roy RAN OUT of fighters in his division, after CLEANING IT OUT. 7 Titles at ONE TIME. Floyd has done that? EVER?

LOL... I don't even know if I want to take part in this debate... I'm a Roy Fan First!!!
GARCIA

I guess I'm the Second LOL Big Roy fan, but not to fond of Floyd at ALL..
GARCIA
Bravest...

HollyField
Arturo Gatti-
Diego Corrales- Never Gives UP
PacMan- For going up and up in weight and fighting bigger guys

Coward.....

ummm, only person that pops up is Mayweather...
D-MARV
QUOTE (GARCIA @ Jul 19 2010, 09:11 PM) *
Bravest...

HollyField
Arturo Gatti-
Diego Corrales- Never Gives UP
PacMan- For going up and up in weight and fighting bigger guys

Coward.....

ummm, only person that pops up is Mayweather...

Floyd went up and fought bigger men too.

It's one thing to not like Floyd because of his personality... I can see that. But to call Floyd a coward because you don't like his personality is a little jacked up.

When I think of Cowards, I think of the Bruce Seldon.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Floyd's resume is better than Roy..?...are you on earth or what?... hahahaha...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 19 2010, 07:35 PM) *
Funny thing is I like Pernell Whitaker too, lol

Cant stand Floyd

Floyd will be more appreciated as time goes by thats usually how it works.
King Eugene

I swear I thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It actually had me confused. I was like is that really even possible? laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 20 2010, 04:17 PM) *
I swear I thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It actually had me confused. I was like is that really even possible? laugh.gif

My brothers favourite fighter is RJJ and his most hated is Mayweather.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 19 2010, 12:46 PM) *
hahahaha..Dude,you know that I know..It was not needed to be said but I guess Dom didn't know my knowledge of Holy..Dom,Holy is one of my favorite fighters ever..

hahaha...well, not everybody knows what you know about Holy,...that was actually for those who do not know...I was a fan of Holyfield as well and we both like Lee Haney whom he hired to combined his boxing skills with power...
Romulus9
After today, I think we can add Paul Briggs to the 'least brave' list.
D-MARV
Agreed... Briggs can certainly be added to the top of the Coward list.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 19 2010, 08:04 PM) *

Don't count on it...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jul 22 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Don't count on it...

I do. It happened with Pernell Whitaker who everyone said was boring. Now you got a bunch of Youtube videos with people commenting on how awesome he was and how he would whoop Mayweather. In 15 years, some other new hotshot will be on the scene and people will be talking about how Mayweather would have whooped him too.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 22 2010, 12:30 PM) *
I do. It happened with Pernell Whitaker who everyone said was boring. Now you got a bunch of Youtube videos with people commenting on how awesome he was and how he would whoop Mayweather. In 15 years, some other new hotshot will be on the scene and people will be talking about how Mayweather would have whooped him too.

It never fails.
streetlion1
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 20 2010, 01:04 AM) *

Yea...I had alot of hate for Mayweather because of his fight selection at 147....once he fought Mosley that put it to rest. I have always appreciated his skill...just not his attitude. However I know that his attitude is more just a way to create buzz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.