Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones Jr or Floyd Mayweather
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
In my opinion, at his absolute peak, I think Roy was the closest thing to unbeatable this sport has ever seen. Floyd, on the other hand, is one of the most complete boxers I have ever seen. Both fighters have egos out of this world and if you were to ask them who was the greatest of all time? They would reply, "ME".

This is the ULTIMATE battle of Ability Vs Skill.

The question I pose... (take into account, accomplishment, skill and ability) Who was/is the greater fighter?

JLUVBABY
at his best p4p no way floyd touches him... i will for ever feel roy jones jr at his best was one of the best to lace em up... i wont say THE BEST tho i want to... but... he was a special fighter... i honestly feel he gives sugar ray robinson a very firm test p4p... prime for prime that is an all time great fight... i cant think of a better one... the guy was very specially gifted in his prime you cant take that away from him.... ill say this... it will be a long time, i think, before we see a fighter the likes of roy jones jr again... bet that...
Warlord
Roy Jones.
GARCIA
I Would say a Prime Roy Jones Jr. is Greater.. Lightning fast, Untouchable, Unbreakable. Ya'll musta forgot! haha lol
kidbazooka1
I gotta go with Floyd.
D-MARV
Keep in mind, I want you guys to consider resumes. I want youu to look at careers not just Prime.
Fitz
Roy Jones for me. He was more impressive, he looked more unbeatable in his prime and is one of a kind. Yes Floyd is fundamentally better, though so are some other guys that I don't rate ahead of Jones either.
The resume isn't that much different between the two, though I think wins over Toney and Hopkins alone is better than two of Floyd's best wins.
jvo1800
Wow both of these guys are my fav fighters but i am the number 1 Roy Jones fan and i have to go with Jones jr. Floyd is a gifted/skilled fighter but u can be taught to be the next Floyd Mayweather, maybe not 100% but very close. Roy was just a once in a life time special fighter who at his best coulda beat anybody in any era in his prime. Im not sayin he definitely woulda won but i dont believe anybody can honestly say that Sugar Ray Robinson or Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Whitaker woulda definitely beat Roy in his prime. He is the fastest fighter i ever seen and he just did things in the ring that a human being shouldnt even be able to do.
King Eugene
I will proudly say my boy Roy.

As said before he WAS one of the most gifted Athletes ever. Had he polished his skills more and relied on God given ability less there would be no argument about him being top 10 all time.

Remember that 1-2 he hit Reggie Johnson with after throwing that lazy ass jab? You'll never see anything close to that for a while. Damn I feel privileged to be able to witness that man in the ring.

#nutswingingmoment
Romulus9
Roy Jones.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 02:25 PM) *
In my opinion, at his absolute peak, I think Roy was the closest thing to unbeatable this sport has ever seen. Floyd, on the other hand, is one of the most complete boxers I have ever seen. Both fighters have egos out of this world and if you were to ask them who was the greatest of all time? They would reply, "ME".

The question I pose... (take into account, accomplishment, skill and ability) Who was/is the greater fighter?

Jones' way far ahead of Floyd in his prime...

,,,,,,,,,,,while Floyd, even still in his prime now known all over the world as the "Cowarf of the County"..and many more negative titles which he himself made.

No way you can compare Jones with Floyd...no way...
Run and Gun Game Calls
Simple and easy answer, Roy Jones Jr.

The most gifted fighter of my lifetime.
D-MARV
Wow.. I'm a little shocked at the dominance of Roy be considered the "greater" fighter. Maybe I do need to go back and re-examine their careers. I'm certainly not going to argue against either side. I personally believe that Floyd has surpassed Roy but it's very debatable. I guess you can make a case that Roy's wins over Toney and Hopkins are greater than Corrales and Castillo.

What if Floyd fights and dominates Pacquiao? would that change anyone's mind?
Method
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 19 2010, 08:25 PM) *

This thread HAS to be a joke.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 20 2010, 07:30 AM) *

You're the only one laughing...

Please leave a reply or step, thank you.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 20 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Remember that 1-2 he hit Reggie Johnson with after throwing that lazy ass jab? You'll never see anything close to that for a while. Damn I feel privileged to be able to witness that man in the ring.

Man, that was a thing of pure beauty.

And I know Richard Hall isn't going down in the record books as one of the best fighters ever, but Roy's dominance and the way he did it in that fight was amazing.
Method
Im not laughing.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 20 2010, 07:30 AM) *

Don't see how it's a joke?

Two fighters who are/were considered p4p for extensive time periods.

Both had similar styles that rely on speed and reflexes (more so Jones).

Both had a few big wins against good names, but still have ? over them (DLH past it, Hopkins was green)

Both had one or two fighters that they haven't faced (Mikelchweski sp?! and Pac Man).

Is it just me or am I missing something? dntknw.gif
Method
Their styles are no where NEAR similar.
KENSOFINE
As I mentioned before, Roy CLEANED OUT his division, whether the opponent was in his prime or not...to the tune of SEVEN TITLES BEING HELD AT ONE TIME. Floyd has done neither of the two things I just mentioned. That alone makes me thinks the comparison is retarded, other than skill-set. Floyd looked dominant against mediocre or washed up talent, mostly. Roy looked impressive against ANY talent you put in his way. He destroyed his abilities by gaining and losing 25 pounds OF PURE MUSCLE in between fights in attempt to challenge himself in the Heavyweights. We have trouble convincing Floyd to fight PRIME fighters IN HIS OWN DIVISION.

He clearly has remarkable skills, but his lack of willingness to challenge himself is what will always keep him at the BOTTOM of the all-time greats debate.
Method
Roy Jones the heavyweight is a BAMBOOZLE.

Floyd Mayweather is a better boxer, period. End.

Roy never cleaned out shit.

Roy moved to heavyweight fought and beat the biggest palooka the sport has ever seen.

The 25lbs of "PURE MUSCLE" is a joke.

Roy shoulda been working on perfecting his craft instead of fighting jokers.

Roy was flashy. So are the Harlem Globetrotters. Thank God for the Washington Generals, and Manny, Moe and Jack.
Spyder
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Jul 20 2010, 09:48 AM) *
As I mentioned before, Roy CLEANED OUT his division, whether the opponent was in his prime or not...to the tune of SEVEN TITLES BEING HELD AT ONE TIME. Floyd has done neither of the two things I just mentioned. That alone makes me thinks the comparison is retarded, other than skill-set. Floyd looked dominant against mediocre or washed up talent, mostly. Roy looked impressive against ANY talent you put in his way. He destroyed his abilities by gaining and losing 25 pounds OF PURE MUSCLE in between fights in attempt to challenge himself in the Heavyweights. We have trouble convincing Floyd to fight PRIME fighters IN HIS OWN DIVISION.

He clearly has remarkable skills, but his lack of willingness to challenge himself is what will always keep him at the BOTTOM of the all-time greats debate.

Well put.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Hopkins and Toney are all time greats that stand up as greats in any era. Corrales and castillo while good fighters are not cut from that cloth.

Sorry but Roy is by far the superior fighter.

I feel both men have let good fights slip away though.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 20 2010, 08:42 AM) *
Their styles are no where NEAR similar.

But they're not completely different either.

Both like to stay on the outside.

Both can pot shot their way to wins with their speed and movement/reflexes.

Both can throw crazy quick combinations.

Both are extremely fit and well oiled athletes who can go 12 rounds.

Both aren't massive power punchers.

I'm not saying they are carbon copies of each other, but they're not chalk and cheese.
D-MARV
Toney and Hopkins were both great fighters But I didn't think Roy was impressive in either fight. The Hopkins fight was quite possibly the most Boring fight between two GREAT fighters this sport has EVER seen. I also don't believe Hopkins was in his prime when they first met back in 1993. However, I still think that (Prime Vs Prime) Roy beats Hopkins. I'm not knocking Roy but I don't think those two fights alone seperate the two fighters as much as some may think.

If you take away their top 2 victories, Floyd has a SHITLOAD of "B" fighters on his resume while Roy has a shitload of "C" fighters on his. But like I said, I can see both arguements.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jul 20 2010, 01:14 PM) *

Both like to stay on the outside.

Both can pot shot their way to wins with their speed and movement/reflexes.

Both can throw crazy quick combinations.

Both are extremely fit and well oiled athletes who can go 12 rounds.

I'm not saying they are carbon copies of each other, but they're not chalk and cheese.

your wrong on a couple o points there roll. RJJ had big time power when he would sit down on his punches, which wasnt often. He was the only man to drop Toney, although a flash knock down. he crunched virgil Hill with a body shot. after his first loss, a DQ to Griffen, he came out and destroyed Griffen in the rematch.

Jones had power, he just chose not to use it.

And well oiled athletes??????????? lmao looking at their physique a little to close there
D-MARV
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 20 2010, 11:20 AM) *
your wrong on a couple o points there roll. RJJ had big time power when he would sit down on his punches, which wasnt often. He was the only man to drop Toney, although a flash knock down. he crunched virgil Hill with a body shot. after his first loss, a DQ to Griffen, he came out and destroyed Griffen in the rematch.

And well oiled athletes??????????? lmao looking at their physique a little to close there

LOL at the Toney knockdown... That's not a good example to prove that Roy had power! That had EVERYTHING to do with balance. I would give Roy a "B+" in the power category and give Floyd a "B"
Run and Gun Game Calls
Floyds key wins

shane mosley
jm marquez
Hatton (undefeated)
DelaHoya
judah
mitchell
gatti
corley
castillo
hernandez
corrales (undefeated)

Roy Jones Jr's Key wins

hopkins
thomas tate
james toney (undefeated)
antoine byrd
vinnie pazienza
merqui sosa
eric lucas
bryant brannon (undefeated)
Glen thomas (undefeated)
Mike McCallum
Montell Griffen (undefeated)
Virgil hill
David Telesco
Eric Harding (undefeated)
Julio Gonzalez (undefeated)
Glen Kelly (undefeated)
John Ruiz
Antonio Tarver

Ill take Roys resume any day of the week over Floyds
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 20 2010, 11:20 AM) *

After i'd put 'well oiled' I knew someone would call me on it, hahaha. I was getting at they both had similar physical attributes.

Yeah, I respect Roy's power. He wasn't exactly feather fisted - he was a great, solid puncher. He did have a cracking punch, but like I said, I don't think Jones had MASSIVE POWER.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Roy had the power when motivated to use it though is all i am saying. The Body punch he hit hill with is one of the best thrown pun chs i have ever seen

It was perfect
Method
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 20 2010, 11:33 AM) *
Floyds key wins

shane mosley
jm marquez
Hatton (undefeated)
DelaHoya
judah
mitchell
gatti
corley
castillo
hernandez
corrales (undefeated)

Roy Jones Jr's Key wins

hopkins
thomas tate
james toney (undefeated)
antoine byrd
vinnie pazienza
merqui sosa
eric lucas
bryant brannon (undefeated)
Glen thomas (undefeated)
Mike McCallum
Montell Griffen (undefeated)
Virgil hill
David Telesco
Eric Harding (undefeated)
Julio Gonzalez (undefeated)
Glen Kelly (undefeated)
John Ruiz
Antonio Tarver

Ill take Roys resume any day of the week over Floyds

Hahahhaha. Look at Roy's key losses.
Run and Gun Game Calls
method, in all due respect, you have been a roy hater from long back, as hops is your dog. I respect that though, I feel the same way about floyd.

If you buy the muscle loss affecting roy or not, he was never the same fighter once he moved back to light heavy. Maybe it was just age, point is when he came back from heavy, he was completely done as a fighter. If those losses were mixed in his prime with the wins it would take away from his legacy. but as they are they really dont. He has been a finished fighter for years.

Ali's losses late in his career dont take away from his either.

Fact is Roy was shot.

As for your fighter Hops, props to his longevity, the man is a freak.
ROLL DEEP
True, that body shot was perfect.

Timing, speed, power and placing.
Method
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 20 2010, 11:47 AM) *
method, in all due respect, you have been a roy hater from long back

Not true. I started hating him as he continued to opt for the Washington Generals of the sport.

Originally, I was a fan.

Hopkisn has nothing to do w this thread. Not even worth interjecting him into it. This thread is about Floyd and Roy. Keep it that way.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 20 2010, 03:03 PM) *
Not true. I started hating him as he continued to opt for the Washington Generals of the sport.

Originally, I was a fan.

Hopkisn has nothing to do w this thread. Not even worth interjecting him into it. This thread is about Floyd and Roy. Keep it that way.

Again method i am refering to years ago when we debated the proposed 60/40 split for a rematch.

But back to the thread, Roy could have fought tougher fights, and moved down to fight tougher fights. He did dominate the Lt. Heavyweight division. Both fighters have played a safety first mentallity torwards their career.

But Roy v/s Floyd, his resume is by far superior
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 20 2010, 01:22 AM) *
Wow.. I'm a little shocked at the dominance of Roy be considered the "greater" fighter. Maybe I do need to go back and re-examine their careers. I'm certainly not going to argue against either side. I personally believe that Floyd has surpassed Roy but it's very debatable. I guess you can make a case that Roy's wins over Toney and Hopkins are greater than Corrales and Castillo.

What if Floyd fights and dominates Pacquiao? would that change anyone's mind?

It may help a bit but not quite...and beside, Floyd is sore afraid of Pacquiao...no matter how you put it, it's obvious Roy is far way ahead of Floyd if we compare them at their prime... We are evaluating these two fighters not only on their skills but on the level as a fighter...Roy is obviously a good-great fighter while Floyd is a mere good boxer and that's all about it.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Jul 20 2010, 03:48 AM) *

It may seem harsh for Floyd but it's the way it is now.... although he is still in his prime yet he is known all over the world as the " Coward of the County"...

I agree with you...Floyd's got good boxing skills but his attitude toward the sport is hurting himself, his ducking of good boxers will remain in the minds of boxing fans,...his bragging as the greatest which he won't prove to his fans and his running away from good challengers will cement his legacy as the boxer who talk like a duck and walk like a chicken.
KENSOFINE
Yeah, Roy may not have capitalized on every possible match up, but Roy NEVER flat-out DUCKED suitable competition, in any facet of reality. Floyd fighting believable opponents throughout his career is unfortunately the EXCEPTION and not the rule. That his not the case with Roy.

Roy also DOES NOT have the pattern of carreer hypocracy that Floyd has. He fought the naturally smaller Hatton cuz he mentioned his name in an interview, but DIDNT fight Margarito (pre-scandal) who would roll up on him and challenge him directly. There is NO EXCUSE for him not to fight Pacman, fuck the smoke n mirrors. Shit like that gives Roy a distinct advantage, legacy-wise.

Extant
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jul 20 2010, 08:14 AM) *

??? With ALL due respect bro... But you have LOST YOUR EVERLUVIN MIND!!! Let's not forget Sup's record of knockouts before his bout with Bernard Hopkins (20 KO's out of 21 fights). And out of the 27 fights since defeating Hopkins to the last fight in his prime with John Ruiz for the WBA HW Championship, he's scored 20 KO's. Hardly seems like a fighter that Mayweather can come close to comparing to.

Like Goldie from the Mack says, "Go stick yourself!!!"
Extant
And the amazing differences between these two is where out of most of the decisions that Jones has won from the beginning to the latter part of his prime, he could have very easily have scored brutal knockouts in those wins, with the exception of Hopkins, Toney, Ruiz and Tarver (All formidable opponents), while in many of Floyd's bouts it was painfully obvious that he did not possess those same abilities. And we have YET to witness in PBF the killer instinct that Roy has displayed on occasion
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Extant @ Jul 20 2010, 04:32 PM) *
And the amazing differences between these two is where out of most of the decisions that Jones has won from the beginning to the latter part of his prime, he could have very easily have scored brutal knockouts in those wins, with the exception of Hopkins, Toney, Ruiz and Tarver (All formidable opponents), while in many of Floyd's bouts it was painfully obvious that he did not possess those same abilities. And we have YET to witness in PBF the killer instinct that Roy has displayed on occasion

I disagree. I am with most people in saying that Jones was a heavier pucher but there were many instances where he also hurt opponents and then let them off the hook. He had Reggie Johnston hurt and didn't finsih him. Same goes for Julio Gonzales whom he dropped in the firts round and then later in the fight. Mayweather is just not the type of guy that is going to drop an opponent with 1 shot like RJ did but when he does have a guy hurt he goes after them. See the Manfredy and Hatton fights.
caneman
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 20 2010, 04:40 PM) *
I disagree. I am with most people in saying that Jones was a heavier pucher but there were many instances where he also hurt opponents and then let them off the hook. He had Reggie Johnston hurt and didn't finsih him. Same goes for Julio Gonzales whom he dropped in the firts round and then later in the fight. Mayweather is just not the type of guy that is going to drop an opponent with 1 shot like RJ did but when he does have a guy hurt he goes after them. See the Manfredy and Hatton fights.

I agree with you MMM! RJJ was an odd case in so many ways! So many think he was this top 5 MW when after beating BHop only defended his belt once in 4 fights! It was somewhat short lived @ SMW & after awhile had lack luster showings @ LHW! He seemed to carry guys that he should have stopped in a few rounds! He did have some good performances though too...what he did to Virgil Hill was badass.
Method

Roy had Trinidad dead to rights and pussed out.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Method, i can complain about the fights all champions took or didnt take, and how they fought them.

I think lewis should have fought Vlad again. Was the best heavyweight matchup in years. Could Vlad recover from the cuts And take lewis out? Could lewis get in fantastic shape and prove the difficulty he had in the first fight was a fluke? We will never know

Back to RJJ though. I think that is just his temperment. I dont remember off the top of my head which fight it was, but I remember Roy having an opponent badly hurt, and out on his feet, and backing off, almost begging the ref to stop the fight. He didnt want to hurt the guy.

You got killers like tyson, and tactical fighters like pernell and jones
Warlord
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jul 20 2010, 10:14 AM) *

Roy was a tremendous puncher who didn't step on the gas often, but when he did, he had the ability to put guys away. (See Montell Griffin.) ((In addition, see James Toney. Jones didn't stop him by any stretch, but the man has been down twice in his career. One of those came was courtesy of Jones.))

Mayweather is technically the better fighter. But I think Fitz said it best, so are a lot of other fighters ranked below Jones.
Extant
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 20 2010, 01:40 PM) *

I appreciate you making it more clear than I did, but you actually make my point as I say "the killer instinct Roy displayed ON OCCASION...[Griffith, Hill, The guy he made to look like he just saw that horror movie 'The Ring' etc...]" My point is that Floyd didn't even have the options that Superman had in the he didn't have near as many choices to knock a n*gga out whenever he got "good and gat dam ready to" as Roy had because of his punching power.
Warlord

There is a difference between not finishing an opponent because you can't, and not finishing one because you choose not to.

I think what happened to Gerald McClellan after the Benn fight had a profound impact on Roy Jones. I know Roy has given a lot of money to the McClellan family over the years, but has refused to meet the man face-to-face, because he is afraid of seeing shit like that.

Roy just didn't have that killer instinct in the ring, for whatever reason, with the exception of his annihilation of Montell Griffin. He might've been lacking something upstairs, or even something in the furnace, but he wasn't lacking power.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 20 2010, 08:38 PM) *
There is a difference between not finishing an opponent because you can't, and not finishing one because you choose not to.

I think what happened to Gerald McClellan after the Benn fight had a profound impact on Roy Jones. I know Roy has given a lot of money to the McClellan family over the years, but has refused to meet the man face-to-face, because he is afraid of seeing shit like that.

Roy just didn't have that killer instinct in the ring, for whatever reason, with the exception of his annihilation of Montell Griffin. He might've been lacking something upstairs, or even something in the furnace, but he wasn't lacking power.

Roy certainly had the power to finish guys off but he chose not to because he lacked the killer instinct. He was always more comfortable sitting back and counteperpunching than actually going after a guy. In fact, most of the times we've seen Jones going after someone he always looks awkward. Meanwhile Mayweather has chased guys down like he did against Sharmba Mithcell, Demarcus Corley, Zab Judah and Shane Mosley.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Jul 20 2010, 09:09 PM) *
Method, i can complain about the fights all champions took or didnt take, and how they fought them.

I think lewis should have fought Vlad again. Was the best heavyweight matchup in years. Could Vlad recover from the cuts And take lewis out? Could lewis get in fantastic shape and prove the difficulty he had in the first fight was a fluke? We will never know

Back to RJJ though. I think that is just his temperment. I dont remember off the top of my head which fight it was, but I remember Roy having an opponent badly hurt, and out on his feet, and backing off, almost begging the ref to stop the fight. He didnt want to hurt the guy.

You got killers like tyson, and tactical fighters like pernell and jones

Bryant Brannon
caneman
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 20 2010, 09:27 PM) *
Roy was a tremendous puncher who didn't step on the gas often, but when he did, he had the ability to put guys away. (See Montell Griffin.) ((In addition, see James Toney. Jones didn't stop him by any stretch, but the man has been down twice in his career. One of those came was courtesy of Jones.))

Mayweather is technically the better fighter. But I think Fitz said it best, so are a lot of other fighters ranked below Jones.

I just wanted to say it's good having you back & posting bro!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.