Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aussie boxing thread (Includes Discussion of The Green-Briggs FARCE!)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Fitz
Making a thread where I will put some Australian stuff in here. Rather than making several threads in the future.

Danny Green vs Paul Briggs tonight at cruiser. Briggs came in over the agreed weight. Right now, this fight isn't the greatest as Briggs has had about a 3 year lay off. But if Briggs was the same guy years back, this fight can be very good and interesting. To me, they were very similar fighters, both strong and physical. Briggs naturally bigger, but Green has filled out nicely and has probably got stronger.
I would have been more interested in this fight if Briggs has had a tune up or two, but still, I'm still kind of interested in this and if Green wins this. He should just go move on to heavyweight.

IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green will be featured in a world title bout against Paul Briggs on Wednesday despite the former two time WBC 175 pound challenger coming in over the agreed weight limit of 185 pounds. The cruiserweight limit is 200 pounds, but both Green and Briggs had several fights at the light heavyweight poundage of 175. Briggs weighed in at 192. 7 pounds over the agreed 185. Green said, ďWhen you come in at three kilograms over the weight that was designated over nine weeks ago, itís very unprofessional and itís very disrespectful. It just proves to me one thing, that tomorrow night Iím going to punish Paul Briggs, Iím going to punish him bad.Ē

Green continued, ďIím going to take the fight, Iíll take him at 214 pounds, I donít care what weight he is. I canít get angry, if I get angry, thatís when I get open to wearing shots. When the bell goes tomorrow night, punch-by-punch Iíll pay that disrespect back, with interest too.Ē

Green weighed in at 184. Televised on Foxtel Main Event pay-per-view Televsion throughout Australia.
D-MARV
I read about this fight... What the fuck is up with Danny Green? Does he have is own weight division now?

LMAO at Briggs coming in 7 pounds overweight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 20 2010, 06:58 PM) *
I read about this fight... What the fuck is up with Danny Green? Does he have is own weight division now?

Briggs 7 lbs overweight??How the hell did that happen??I saw him fight Adamek live twice at light heavy and now hes havin problems makin cruiser??Crazy..Must not be training hard..They have similar records and I'm thinking this will be a good fight and wish I could see it..I really like the cruiserweight division..
D-MARV
It's not the Crusierweight Division... It's Dannyweight.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 09:58 AM) *

I think it had more to do with Briggs having a layoff, weighing probably a shitload. I suppose to compromise as Briggs could have been a heavyweight, they agreed on a catch weight. Briggs came in well over, and Green is going on with it and made this comment:

"Yeah of course, I could pull the fight right now,'' Green said.

"It's within my right to say 'go lose the weight'.

"But do you know what, I don't care.

"Somebody get him a hamburger, he's going to need some energy and a bucket of ice.''

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Briggs 7 lbs overweight??How the hell did that happen??I saw him fight Adamek live twice at light heavy and now hes havin problems makin cruiser??Crazy..Must not be training hard..They have similar records and I'm thinking this will be a good fight and wish I could see it..I really like the cruiserweight division..

Well, Briggs retired and hasn't fought since 2007, I think it was always going to be hard for him to make weight and he should have taken a tune up first before taking on Green. Briggs was pretty good when he was active, very similar to Green and gave Adamek all he could handle in both fights and were fantastic fights. Could have been fights of the year (not sure if any of the fights won it though).
I like both these guys, I wouldn't mind Briggs pulling the upset, lol. I think the conditions of the fight could have been better. I would have liked to have seen more preparation from Briggs.

Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 10:07 AM) *
It's not the Crusierweight Division... It's Dannyweight.

Green said he is still putting his IBO title on the line.
D-MARV
Danny's last 4 fights have been catchweights...

I'm not trying to pick on Danny but I really don't like catchweights. You either fight at the division you're in or move up or down. It seems as if Danny wants to fight light heavyweights without having to kill himself to make weight. I have yet to see him fight at the Cruiserweight limit.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Danny's last 4 fights have been catchweights...

I'm not trying to pick on Danny but I really don't like catchweights. You either fight at the division you're in or move up or down. It seems as if Danny wants to fight light heavyweights without having to kill himself to make weight. I have yet to see him fight at the Cruiserweight limit.

The limit is between 175-200. Green is fighting between the limit. Briggs weighed in over the catch weight limit and the fight is continuing. Are you suggesting that Green prevented Siaca and RJJ from weighing in close to 200lbs?
Fitz
The only fight where I could say he was fighting a guy that had nothing for him in the last 4 fights was Manny Siaca. He was never going to be effective at cruiser, lol. Don't know much about the other guys he fought at cruiser.
rusty_trombone
Listen no one gives a shit about this down under bull shit. This board isn't called Kangaroo Hype. Crikey.
Fitz
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 21 2010, 11:13 AM) *
Listen no one gives a shit about this down under bull shit. This board isn't called Kangaroo Hype. Crikey.

Yet you entered the thread titled "Aussie boxing" and contributed. Thanks for your contribution and enjoy your day sport. Looking forward to discussing the fight with you later.

dirol.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 20 2010, 09:47 PM) *
Yet you entered the thread titled "Aussie boxing" and contributed. Thanks for your contribution and enjoy your day sport. Looking forward to discussing the fight with you later.

dirol.gif

nicely done.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 20 2010, 09:05 PM) *
The limit is between 175-200. Green is fighting between the limit. Briggs weighed in over the catch weight limit and the fight is continuing. Are you suggesting that Green prevented Siaca and RJJ from weighing in close to 200lbs?

Exactly, so why did Briggs have to weigh in at 185? Again, to me it just looks like Green is fighting Light Heavyweights without having to make the 175lb limit. Now that he is fighting someone who may be bigger, he caps the limit at 185?

No biggie, it's not like he's asking for a blood test or anything like that.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 12:09 PM) *
Exactly, so why did Briggs have to weigh in at 185? Again, to me it just looks like Green is fighting Light Heavyweights without having to make the 175lb limit. Now that he is fighting someone who may be bigger, he caps the limit at 185?

No biggie, it's not like he's asking for a blood test or anything like that.

That's a fair call. I wasn't happy with what Mayweather did to Marquez and what Pacquiao did to Cotto. In the end, Briggs weighed in well over the catch weight. Green is going on with the fight, the title is still on the line.
As for having catch weights in his last 4 fights, not saying you were wrong. But I seriously don't recall them being at catchweights. Even if it did, I don't think it would have effected Jones or Siaca.
AussieLad
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 21 2010, 02:13 AM) *

Maybe we can rename it after you. The Rusty Harmonica... coz you both suck and blow
AussieLad
I think the catchweight thing is a pile of poo. How long till he has a mandatory and has to fight someone at 200 pounds.

Surely he can bulk up 5 or 10 pounds without too much sacrifice
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 21 2010, 08:55 AM) *
I am disappointed I made this thread, because I wish I never had to comment on this fight again. I hadn't seen anything as bad as what I just saw watching a fight live. I have a great appreciation for Cintron after seeing this.

Details please.
BigG
Just saw this. Truly pathetic. Danny Greens last 3 opponents have been a shot 3 year layoff Manny Siaca, a shot Roy Jones and this shit...fight a CONTENDER...
lloyd mayflower
Pathetic. I seen somewhere that Briggs was refused a licence in New South Wales. Can you shed some light on that Fitz? Maybe this guy was on the verge of a breakdown even before that feeble jab
D-MARV
Oh Shit... I just saw it on youtube. That was the worst thing I have ever seen in the sport. WOW, just WOW!

I won't shit on Danny Green. I think the man came ready to fight and for whatever reason, Briggs did not want to fight. I think him coming in overweight yesterday was his way of trying to get out of the fight.

Romulus9
I just watched the fight.

To quote Jack Buck in the Kirk Gibson Dodgers-A's game, "I don't believe what I just saw."

That was insulting. Briggs laid down and quit. We've all seen a lot of ridiculous things in boxing but that could very well be in the top 5. I'd rather have seen a lunatic try to land in the ring with a big fan on his back.

F*@^.
blackbelt2003
Saw it on Youtube, and I still can't work out what the fuck happened.

I don't like to call bottle jobs, because you can't always tell how a shot lands, but I can safely say this was a straight out bottle job.

It was hilarious watching Briggs pretend to get up at the count of 8, realise he might just make it up before ten, and then dramatically flop back down again.

I don't get it, because I saw Briggs' two wars with Adamek. He is a tough guy, and him and Green should have been a tear up despite him being out of action for three years.

Fitz or Steve, can you guys throw some light on this? Does he have some issues coming in we don't know about?

Black
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 21 2010, 02:11 PM) *
Saw it on Youtube, and I still can't work out what the fuck happened.

I don't like to call bottle jobs, because you can't always tell how a shot lands, but I can safely say this was a straight out bottle job.

It was hilarious watching Briggs pretend to get up at the count of 8, realise he might just make it up before ten, and then dramatically flop back down again.

I don't get it, because I saw Briggs' two wars with Adamek. He is a tough guy, and him and Green should have been a tear up despite him being out of action for three years.

Fitz or Steve, can you guys throw some light on this? Does he have some issues coming in we don't know about?

Black

That's what I was thinking as well. This leads me to believe that Briggs must have some serious issues in his life right now.
Jack 1000
Here is the You Tube Video of the Biggs-Green- FARCE! Dare anyone calls this a fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQpoPzd5Bcs

I feel bad for our Aussie friends who may had paid to watch this...........just dreadful!

I will edit the topic title to include info on the fight and promote discussion about it in this thread.

Jack
AussieLad
What the fuck happened there?

I think this must have been some form of "screw you" to Danny Green. These guys were friends, and then the trash talk started in the lead up. Then Briggs coming in over weight in what should never have been a catchweight fight... more things got said and Briggs must have thought 'fuck this'

Danny can't get away with fighting shit fights. He gets a pass for roy jones, even if he was shot, because of the huge name value. But Siaca and Briggs should never even been mentioned.

Worst australian fight i have ever seen.

Despite the poor choice of opponent, i feel sorry for green in that i dont think anyone would have expected briggs to just lay down like that. Briggs is a tough bastard
JLUVBABY
stevenski, fitz and aussielad... my daughter is a few meets away from going to sydney with her swimming... its a long shot cuzz she hates to train and barely gets any rest before her swim meets because of her staying up with her online gaming but she has a natural talent that if she actually trained id be telling you guys get ready to see me... but she's 2 swim meets away from state... 3 from nationals and 4 from world games that will be in sydney this year... she dont have to win just place in the top 4 in state and then top 4 in nationals to make it to sydney... IF we get there i look forward to meeting all you guys you guys... I do not want to leave australia without meeting you if we come down there so i will keep you guys posted as we have the swim meets...
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 21 2010, 03:40 AM) *
Maybe we can rename it after you. The Rusty Harmonica... coz you both suck and blow

Aw, you're still upset from the shock to your system when you found out MMA fighters are a bunch of heartless pussies afraid to step foot into a boxing ring. I forgive you buddy.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 21 2010, 06:17 PM) *
stevenski, fitz and aussielad... my daughter is a few meets away from going to sydney with her swimming... its a long shot cuzz she hates to train and barely gets any rest before her swim meets because of her staying up with her online gaming but she has a natural talent that if she actually trained id be telling you guys get ready to see me... but she's 2 swim meets away from state... 3 from nationals and 4 from world games that will be in sydney this year... she dont have to win just place in the top 4 in state and then top 4 in nationals to make it to sydney... IF we get there i look forward to meeting all you guys you guys... I do not want to leave australia without meeting you if we come down there so i will keep you guys posted as we have the swim meets...

I don't know man, I wouldn't bring my daughter anywhere around these lads. nono.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 21 2010, 07:18 PM) *
I don't know man, I wouldn't bring my daughter anywhere around these lads. nono.gif

we got to make it there first rusty... lol...
JD
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 21 2010, 09:21 PM) *
I ordered the fight Jack.

LOL.

Fuck it I still like Briggs. He fucked everyone over & good for him. This is the best thing to ever happen to Aussie boxing. I hope he gets paid & bet a shitload on a Green 1st round KO. LOL.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 21 2010, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 21 2010, 10:49 PM) *
I am in a different state than Sydney. Stevenski is in Sydney, but he was moving to Melbourne where I am. Not sure if he has moved yet. But keep us posted.

I just moved to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago which is why I have been AWOL most of the time. I do get up to Sydney a bit though so let us know if you are coming Down Under.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 22 2010, 05:52 AM) *
Turn it up Stevenski. You moved to Melbourne with your girlfriend and now she has your balls in a vice and pussy whipped

Haha.

I think I am a bit whipped these days. When she gets home tonight Ima bust her in the mouth to keep her in her place & reassert my dominance in the relationship.
AussieLad
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 22 2010, 01:16 AM) *
Aw, you're still upset from the shock to your system when you found out MMA fighters are a bunch of heartless pussies afraid to step foot into a boxing ring. I forgive you buddy.

Only pussies round here are the ones playing the trombone

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Obviously Briggs should have his entire purse withheld.

I like Danny Green, but really he should have known better than to take on this scrub. I bet the NSW comission are laughing their arses off. I do hope he agrees to fight Shane Cameron though and beats his fuckin arse. I can't stand that guy.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 22 2010, 01:42 AM) *
laugh.gif

JLuv. I just remembered, you are black aren't you? I wish your daughter the best, african-american's aren't known as swimmers. I suppose it's like having a white dude dominate the 100m sprint. I barely ever see any of them in swimming. She could be the Tigress Woods of swimming, except I'm pretty sure neither of us want her cheating with about 15 different people laugh.gif
Good luck to her with the swimming. By the way, how old is she (I'm not trying to be a pervert either, lol. Just curious).

some nice words of encouragement.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 22 2010, 04:43 AM) *
Only pussies round here are the ones playing the trombone

I've never tapped.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 22 2010, 12:42 AM) *
LOL.

Fuck it I still like Briggs. He fucked everyone over & good for him. This is the best thing to ever happen to Aussie boxing. I hope he gets paid & bet a shitload on a Green 1st round KO. LOL.

LOL! OK, if you bet 1st round KO. Stevenski, how much did you win?

Jack
ROLL DEEP
Oh, shit!

Just watched it. WTF happened? Man, this is just what boxing needs thumbsdown_anim.gif
uppercutking
I watched the fight and it is utterly unbelievable to me how an opponent let alone a professional (even after a three year lay-off) could go down and out from a tap on the head from a what appeared to be WEAK ASS JAB FROM GREEN! This is not good for boxing and will only go to further prove how corrupt the sport is. Furthermore, it makes me really start to believe Roy Jones Jr, that he wasn't really knocked out in his fight with Green and there was also something fishy going on there as well.
uppercutking
What another disgrace for boxing. This just goes to show the causal fan is right and further proves the corupption that is going on I mean even after a three year lay-off there is no way a weak ASS Jab like that should even put briggs down. Boxing is losing and unfortunatly this only goes to further help it die as a sport I love who ever thinks this is good is a fucking a idiot. This is a disgrace! That was the weakest fucking jab ever
AussieLad
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 22 2010, 01:43 PM) *
I've never tapped.

Thats because you love a good ass pounding and your boyfriend has a little dick
AussieLad
Supposedly Briggs has nuerological problems and only fought because of bankruptcy. Who knows what to believe
Jack 1000
Here is more information about the investigation:

Danny seems to have "changed his tune" a little bit now, claiming that Briggs was legitimately hurt. The governing authorities don't buy it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-a...a-green-inquiry

Jack
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 23 2010, 04:23 AM) *
Thats because you love a good ass pounding and your boyfriend has a little dick

Maybe I should try MMA then, they love to roll around with each other in tight little undies, mounting each other, rubbing their sweaty torsos all up on each other. Maybe a little "ground and pound action," and my favorite "rear naked choke." Sounds like they should be having cosmos before a fight.
AussieLad
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 23 2010, 02:16 PM) *
Maybe I should try MMA then, they love to roll around with each other in tight little undies, mounting each other, rubbing their sweaty torsos all up on each other. Maybe a little "ground and pound action," and my favorite "rear naked choke." Sounds like they should be having cosmos before a fight.

When you phrase it that way, it does sound right up your alley.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 23 2010, 05:40 PM) *
When you phrase it that way, it does sound right up your alley.

i mean, who doesn't like a good cosmo?
JLUVBABY
yall are crazy... fitz my daughter advanced to state in the relay with some team mates and im not sure if she's going in individual races but def for relay... 1 more win to go before we are headed to australia in at least that 1... if we get there i wantto meet my aussie homies...
AussieLad
I wouldnt mind catching up with the Aussie Branch of team fight hype, but i am a Brisbane boy
Fitz
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 25 2010, 08:22 AM) *
I wouldnt mind catching up with the Aussie Branch of team fight hype, but i am a Brisbane boy

The sad thing is, nobody would go to a Mundine fight and meet each other at it

laugh.gif

Also JLuv, congrat on your daughter going through in the relay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.