Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heard Barrett knocked Tua's block off!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BGv2.0
I had heard Monte say this was his last fight win or lose.....if so....nice way to go out IMHO!

Anybody see this...also sorry if there is already a thread ..but I looked and could not find it.

Romulus9
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:52 PM) *
I had heard Monte say this was his last fight win or lose.....if so....nice way to go out IMHO!

Anybody see this...also sorry if there is already a thread ..but I looked and could not find it.

Got the whole broadcast on DVD.

I wouldn't say he knocked Tua's block off. I scored it 113-113 but there were a couple of swing rounds. Tua started off nicely, had Monte rocked a couple of times, but just gassed out late. The knockdown wasn't a serious knockdown. Tua had Barrett up against the ropes, trying to pound on him, stepped back, and it looked like he squared his feet and we know what that means, especially on tired legs. Took a couple of shots and went down but got right back up. He was just gassed. He'd lost a point earlier in the round for throwing Barrett down, so that made it 10-7 in the 12th. He doesn't get dropped, or he doesn't get the deduction, and he wins via unanimous decision.

That said, it sure was a shock to see Tua dropped under any circumstances.
JLUVBABY
they keep calling that tuas first knockdown... i seem to remember hasim rahman having him down in the last round of their rematch that was deemed a draw... lol...
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Got the whole broadcast on DVD.

I wouldn't say he knocked Tua's block off. I scored it 113-113 but there were a couple of swing rounds. Tua started off nicely, had Monte rocked a couple of times, but just gassed out late. The knockdown wasn't a serious knockdown. Tua had Barrett up against the ropes, trying to pound on him, stepped back, and it looked like he squared his feet and we know what that means, especially on tired legs. Took a couple of shots and went down but got right back up. He was just gassed. He'd lost a point earlier in the round for throwing Barrett down, so that made it 10-7 in the 12th. He doesn't get dropped, or he doesn't get the deduction, and he wins via unanimous decision.

That said, it sure was a shock to see Tua dropped under any circumstances.

Well...I always said Rahman dropped him in that last fight..so I'm one of those that does not really consider this the first time he was floored.

Sounds like it was a good fight though.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/rin...rett-tua-fight/

I like Barrett's last statement as a boxer...“Everybody knows I am the winner. I fought with heart and determination. I’m retiring from boxing, this is my last fight. The sport of boxing is not pure like the boxers.”

“Champions are born and I’m a champion at heart,” said Barrett. “I gave it my all, all my heart. I feel like I gave it my last breath in there"
D-MARV
Rom... are you sure that's what you saw?

The decision was AWFUL and Barrett had Tua hurt in the 12th. Tua did not just pop back up, he was noticeably hurt.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 05:06 PM) *

The decision was AWFUL and Barrett had Tua hurt in the 12th. Tua did not just pop back up, he was noticeably hurt.

i didnt see the fight but the phots i saw had tuas legs looking bow legged getting up... lol... gotta kinda wonder how barrets career would have turned out had he taken boxing more serious... he wasnt a bad fighter in his prime...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:04 PM) *
Well...I always said Rahman dropped him in that last fight..so I'm one of those that does not really consider this the first time he was floored.

Sounds like it was a good fight though.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/rin...rett-tua-fight/

I like Barrett's last statement as a boxer...“Everybody knows I am the winner. I fought with heart and determination. I’m retiring from boxing, this is my last fight. The sport of boxing is not pure like the boxers.”

“Champions are born and I’m a champion at heart,” said Barrett. “I gave it my all, all my heart. I feel like I gave it my last breath in there"

real talk... great quotes from barrett...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 21 2010, 06:09 PM) *
i didnt see the fight but the phots i saw had tuas legs looking bow legged getting up... lol... gotta kinda wonder how barrets career would have turned out had he taken boxing more serious... he wasnt a bad fighter in his prime...

Tua was hurt... I'm sure fatigue had a lot to do with it but he was there for the taking. Any decent Heavyweight would have KO'd him.

My God.... It's a good thing they didn't throw Tua in with Wlad.
Romulus9
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 21 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Just saying that he wasn't visibly dazed, staggering, etc.

He was completely gassed. Considering how done he was, I'm surprised he actually made it up in time. Kind of like Foreman against Ali.

He was DONE. I thought he was going to topple over earlier in the round, before he got Monte hurt. If Barrett had a little more in the tank for the last three rounds, he wins GOING AWAY.

Like I said, I had it a draw, 7-5 Tua but 113-113 on points after Tua lost two in the 12th, but I'd have had no problem with a 7-5 score for Barrett.

Pasquale's 115-111 Tua card is completely unacceptable.
Romulus9
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 21 2010, 06:09 PM) *

He was the Antwun Echols of heavyweights.

GATEKEEPER!

But I loved his quotes after the fight. Breath of fresh air for pro athletes, but not uncommon in our sport. I love it.
JonnyBlaze
I've always thought these comebacks of Tua were nothing to get excited about..His pace is so slow compared to how it used to be..He normally would start slow and end the fight throwing more(of the fights I've seen of his comeback) so it's weird to hear he started to fast..
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2010, 06:24 PM) *
I've always thought these comebacks of Tua were nothing to get excited about..His pace is so slow compared to how it used to be..He normally would start slow and end the fight throwing more(of the fights I've seen of his comeback) so it's weird to hear he started to fast..

He didn't exactly start fast. He just started faster than Barrett. laugh.gif
Thegreatequalizer
i wish tua had made a serious comeback 5 years ago. i think at this point he's too old to get himself in good enough shape to be able to compete with the top.

the rahman knock down came just after the bell, so it didn't count. he did knock him down, but it wasn't an official knock down.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 21 2010, 06:24 PM) *

Actually Jonny, Roger Bloodworth FINALLY has Tua doing some nice things. The speed is still kinda there, or has been in his last 3 fights. He is now throwing right hands, throwing combinations and he went to Monte's body A LOT, which is probably what saved him the last round, Monte had nothing left in the tank to go after him.

On the other hand Tua's 2 biggest strengths, his punching power and punch resistence (chin) appear to have diminished. He seems to be throwing arm punches these days. Seriously some of the shots he hit Barrett with would've knocked him the fuck out 5 years ago. Now Barrett although badly buzzed was able to whetehr the storm. In the old days once Tua got you clean you were done.

And yeah he was hurt in the 12th. Barrett actually hurt him pretty good I think in the 9th as well. It's strange to see Tua getting visibly hurt by single shots.

It's frustrating seeing Tua finally using some half decent boxing skills yet it seems to have come too late. If his punch goes and his chin goes he'll always be there for the taking.

It ws a strange fight to score. I thought Tua definately had the ring generalship, landed by far the harder shots, but the last round.................Rom's right 113/113 isn't a bad score. I wouldn't have been disppointed to see Barrett get the win either.

Doesn't matter Tua is done. It will be a career of 'what if's.'
BGv2.0
I totally agree with those saying it is too little too late for Tua.

The guy allowed a large portion of his career rot away by inactivity. I know some of it was due to legal issues....but none the less it has cost him.

I think with a couple more fights reguardless of this fact, he should still be considered for a shot at SOMEBODY.....simply due tot he fact that there is nobody else out there for these three champs to fight. I'd like to see Tua with either Klit or Haye.

AND....on the topic of Haye....

Does Monte's display in this fight with Tua, in regard to hurting and flooring a guy with a supposed iron chin make a case for Haye's chin being a little better than what many consider it to be?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.