Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Arum better than Don King as a Promoter during his time?...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
dominicbuilder9k1
Bob Arum's dismissal of Bradley and Wiliams...even Berto,...was a clear indication of GREED,...
He want Floyd for Pacquiao because that is a huge money and that's what the fans are waiting...YOU see it seems ARUM cares for the fans eh?...

Well, now that Floyd is out,...He doesn't want Pacquiao against Bradley...nor Williams...NOT EVEN if this is the fans' choice,...he prefer Pacquiao vs Cotto 2 or Margs simply because all D goes to his pocket...he doesn't care what boxing fans want...hahaha...

Arum is exposed again...match maker of "IN-HOUSE" boxers...

My question is : Was Don king better or what?...that is as far as giving the fans a good match-up fighters..?..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Jul 22 2010, 09:31 PM) *
Bob Arum's dismissal of Bradley and Wiliams...even Berto,...was a clear indication of GREED,...
He want Floyd for Pacquiao because that is a huge money and that's what the fans are waiting...YOU see it seems ARUM cares for the fans eh?...

Well, now that Floyd is out,...He doesn't want Pacquiao against Bradley...nor Williams...NOT EVEN if this is the fans' choice,...he prefer Pacquiao vs Cotto 2 or Margs simply because all D goes to his pocket...he doesn't care what boxing fans want...hahaha...

Arum is exposed again...match maker of "IN-HOUSE" boxers...

My question is : Was Don king better or what?...that is as far as giving the fans a good match-up fighters..?..

Don King MADE the big fights..If they didn't wanna fight each other,Don made it happen anyway..haha..Don was worse to his fighters but pleased the fans..

If I had to choose Arum or Don as my promoter,I'd choose Arum..As a fan,I'd choose Don..
kidbazooka1
F*ck King the guy is a snake. Arum is may not be the more popular of the two but he's definitly the better.
mexi-cutioner
As a Promoter, Don easily takes the cake.

As a person, Arum isn't all that but he's definitely better than King.

Like Johnnyblaze said, Don MADE the fights happen.

Thrilla in Manilla, Rumble in the Jungle, on more than one occassion he's had upto SIX world title fights on one card, etc etc

King is one of the few men in boxing who have become a regular part of popular culture throughout the years and the man isn't even a fighter! That speaks volumes to his ability to promote for him to be so recognized outside of the sport as well as within it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'm gonna assume that by 'better' we mean, made the biggest and baddest fights. If that's the case King SHITS all over Arum. The dude was a straight up hustler/gangster.

How the fuck do you go and promise 2 seriously bad dudes like Foreman and Ali a guaranteed multi million dollar purse when you have NO IDEA where the money is coming from? That shit is hilarious, but also kinda highlights what Don King was all about. He made fights appear from nowhere. He is a bit of a faded icon thse days and Arum has definately had the better career down the stretch (thanks to Pac) but if we judge this on their overall body of work. King.
Method

Id have a problem if Arum had shit fighters in house, but he dont.
kidbazooka1
King was big back in the day but now he's got nothing left Arum took over big time.
Nay_Sayer
Lonesome Bob

lol....
Spyder
King didn't need to keep his guys in-house, because he'd make the opponents sign multi-fight deals with him to get a shot at his fighter. Don't you guys remember this tactic? It would stop fights from being made if the NON-King fighter refused to sign with King.

Don viewed the whole boxing world as HIS fighters...it was just a matter of time until they were forced to sign with him.
Jack 1000
I think they are both equally corrupt,

But King was at least willing to put on better fights for the fans and more willing to work outside the house of his fighters, especially if fans demanded it. King was the best at getting things done, had a good rapport with the sanctioning bodies, and was a master at marketing the fights. King still conned us into shit also, trying to overturn Buster Douglas' win over Tyson because of the ref's long count error. Trying to pass of the horrible ghastly mismatch of Tyson-McNeeley as a legitimate fight even after the way it ended, many other things.

But at least the big fights were more likely to happen with King involved than without King involved.

Jack
D-MARV
LMAO... Bob Arum went hard on this one. And yes, I know this went down last year.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 23 2010, 07:56 PM) *
LMAO... Bob Arum went hard on this one. And yes, I know this went down last year.

Hahahaha..Arum had me crackin up..
JLUVBABY
don king is the greatest promoter in the history of the sport... who he is as a person has nothing to do with the events he has put on as a promoter... the guy has put on some of the if not the greatest fight cards in the history of the sport and has worked and screwed over some of the greatest fighters the sport has ever seen... he is probably histories sorriest person in boxing from a humanitarian standpoint but who was a better promoter than king at his best?... arum is/was good but king is the KING!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.