Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want Mayweather v.s. Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
streetlion1
I think Cotto presents a tougher fight for Floyd than Pacman does....its been talked about in other threads but I think it deserves its own. I know Floyd has said hes not interested in titles...and it sounds like Manny would be chopping up Cheato for a vacant belt....thus cheating history again by winning another belt at a bullshit catchweight...BUT...the whole thing could go better. Forget the vacant belt for Crackman and Cheato.....Mayweather beats Cotto in a much more competetive fight and Manny is forced to fight the best at the full 154 to get his 8th title.

Mayweather-Cotto...style v.s. style...would be Floyds toughest fight since DLH. Cottos jab and body attack along with a solid gameplan from a hall of fame trainer would definitely have Floyd on the defensive. I know the arguement people will have with this fight....Cotto is too flat-footed...Cotto is past it...blah blah blah. Whats the alternative? I have always said a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight would be a let down once all the hype is over with with Floyd adjusting to his speed and knocking him out in 9 rounds or under. IMO Cotto isnt past it...hes lost to 2 cheaters....he is more nimble on his feet than people give him credit for and his speed has always been under rated.

In the end Pacman will chop up Cheato or beat Cotto again and win a bullshit catchweight title fight while Mayweather kicks back and they will probably fight next year....but I say why not Mayweather v.s. Cotto?
Snoop
Personally I'd rather watch Mayweather vs PWill or Martinez, but I would definitely prefer watching Mayweather vs Cotto than Pacquiao vs Cotto II.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jul 23 2010, 09:51 AM) *
I think Cotto presents a tougher fight for Floyd than Pacman does....its been talked about in other threads but I think it deserves its own. I know Floyd has said hes not interested in titles...and it sounds like Manny would be chopping up Cheato for a vacant belt....thus cheating history again by winning another belt at a bullshit catchweight...BUT...the whole thing could go better. Forget the vacant belt for Crackman and Cheato.....Mayweather beats Cotto in a much more competetive fight and Manny is forced to fight the best at the full 154 to get his 8th title.

Mayweather-Cotto...style v.s. style...would be Floyds toughest fight since DLH. Cottos jab and body attack along with a solid gameplan from a hall of fame trainer would definitely have Floyd on the defensive. I know the arguement people will have with this fight....Cotto is too flat-footed...Cotto is past it...blah blah blah. Whats the alternative? I have always said a Mayweather-Pacquiao fight would be a let down once all the hype is over with with Floyd adjusting to his speed and knocking him out in 9 rounds or under. IMO Cotto isnt past it...hes lost to 2 cheaters....he is more nimble on his feet than people give him credit for and his speed has always been under rated.

In the end Pacman will chop up Cheato or beat Cotto again and win a bullshit catchweight title fight while Mayweather kicks back and they will probably fight next year....but I say why not Mayweather v.s. Cotto?

Because Floyd doesn't give a shit about fighting Cotto, there's not enough money in it. Why would he take a chance against the guy Pac kicked the shit out of, Arum would want that fight but it's retarded from Floyd's perspective. The risk-reward isn't right for him, if I were Floyd I wouldn't fight him. He gets no extra notoriety from it, if I were Floyd and I wanted to fight, I wouldn't be fighting any guys from Arum's stable either.

Not too mention, Cotto would just get worked. He is not nimble on his feet, if you get hit that much by Margarito, you will get abused by a guy like Floyd. I said the same thing before the Manny fight, it holds true for this one too.
PR316
The time for Floyd to fight Cotto was back in 2007-2008. Right now the reward is not high enough to warrant the risk.

I really don't believe Pacquiao and Mayweather will ever happen now.

I hate being a doom and gloom kind of guy but its just becoming more clear everyday.
D-MARV
Mayweather Vs PWill???
jvo1800
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jul 23 2010, 09:51 AM) *

R U serious????????? Cotto would get put into retirement against Floyd. Ima give u two reasons why, first Cotto is slow as hell and second Cotto is slow as hell. Cotto is slow on defense and he is slow on offense (at least against somebody with Floyd reflexis). Cotto would be a moving punching bag for Floyd because he is flat footed and his foot work is just way too slow. Another thing is Cotto is another Shane Mosley, once u start whooping on him he starts to fade mentally and loses all of his confidence. Now he is a warrior and he wont give up but once u pound him for a few rounds u can see that he starts to fight just to survive.
kidbazooka1
Cotto gives Floyd a much tougher fight than he gave Pacqiuao.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 24 2010, 12:19 AM) *
Cotto gives Floyd a much tougher fight than he gave Pacqiuao.

not a chance... maybe a few years ago before the beatings he took but not now... floyd would dominate cotto... cotto's too slow to give floyd much of a fight...
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 23 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Personally I'd rather watch Mayweather vs PWill or Martinez, but I would definitely prefer watching Mayweather vs Cotto than Pacquiao vs Cotto II.

PBF ain't getting no where near those guys...he won't even fight pacman!
Byrd Man
I can't believe people are clamoring for Floyd vs. Cotto.

A huge knock on Floyd is his allegedly fighting people he knows he's going to win. Here you have Cotto who at one time was a bad motherfucker. However in the last year or so he's been beaten badly by Margarito (possibly with loaded gloves), and destroyed by Manny Pacquiao leading many to wonder if he was done.

Then he managed to FINALLY get a half mobile Yuri Foreman out of there in (if I remember right) 9 rounds.

Why would floyd get any credit for this? I think people are too focused on the Floyd vs. Cotto idea from years back.

He's possibly going to facing a guy who was quite possibly broken against Margarito and Pacquiao. Why would anyone wanna see this? If Floyd DOESN'T put him away easily it's going to look bad.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jul 24 2010, 05:29 PM) *
I can't believe people are clamoring for Floyd vs. Cotto.

A huge knock on Floyd is his allegedly fighting people he knows he's going to win. Here you have Cotto who at one time was a bad motherfucker. However in the last year or so he's been beaten badly by Margarito (possibly with loaded gloves), and destroyed by Manny Pacquiao leading many to wonder if he was done.

Then he managed to FINALLY get a half mobile Yuri Foreman out of there in (if I remember right) 9 rounds.

Why would floyd get any credit for this? I think people are too focused on the Floyd vs. Cotto idea from years back.

He's possibly going to facing a guy who was quite possibly broken against Margarito and Pacquiao. Why would anyone wanna see this? If Floyd DOESN'T put him away easily it's going to look bad.

good post... easy win or not for lil floyd cotto was broken by margarito and pac... BROKE....
Fitz
I don't think Floyd gives Cotto a serious beat down like many others. I think Cotto would give Mayweather a closer fight than Mosley did, and I think Cotto would do better against Floyd than Pacquiao might. All about styles, and though Mayweather wins. I don't think it would be the absolute one sided fight people would expect.
Still, not a good fight for Floyd to take now. Especially when they are fights that could have been taken a while back when they were at the peak at 147.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 24 2010, 07:07 PM) *
I don't think Floyd gives Cotto a serious beat down like many others. I think Cotto would give Mayweather a closer fight than Mosley did, and I think Cotto would do better against Floyd than Pacquiao might. All about styles, and though Mayweather wins. I don't think it would be the absolute one sided fight people would expect.
Still, not a good fight for Floyd to take now. Especially when they are fights that could have been taken a while back when they were at the peak at 147.

Agree 100% with you there. Mayweather might make it look easy after round 8 or 9 when Cotto usually fades in big fights but that would be more from Mayweather potshotting with lead right hands or uppercuts (which work very well against Cotto) and then getting away after that. Cotto took beatings from guys who put the pressure on him from the early rounds, Mayweather does not fit that mold. Moreover, Cotto doesn't lay down for anyone. He put up a hell of a fight against Manos de Plaster and gave Pacquiao all he could handle, even when he started to run.

Cotto has a good jab, solid chin, body work and is an intelligent fighter. Never understood why people call him slow and it makes me wonder if the people who make the claim have acutally seen him fight. Sure his footwork is not as quick as Mayweather's but he has outmanoueverd plenty of guys with them, doing so recently against Yuri Foreman. Plus he has great timing and that alone would give Mayweather all sorts of trouble.

But like you said Fitz, his stock isn't as high right now considering that the Pacquiao fight is still fresh in our minds.
Method
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 24 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Agree 100% with you there. Mayweather might make it look easy after round 8 or 9 when Cotto usually fades in big fights but that would be more from Mayweather potshotting with lead right hands or uppercuts (which work very well against Cotto) and then getting away after that. Cotto took beatings from guys who put the pressure on him from the early rounds, Mayweather does not fit that mold. Moreover, Cotto doesn't lay down for anyone. He put up a hell of a fight against Manos de Plaster and gave Pacquiao all he could handle, even when he started to run.

Cotto has a good jab, solid chin, body work and is an intelligent fighter. Never understood why people call him slow and it makes me wonder if the people who make the claim have acutally seen him fight. Sure his footwork is not as quick as Mayweather's but he has outmanoueverd plenty of guys with them, doing so recently against Yuri Foreman. Plus he has great timing and that alone would give Mayweather all sorts of trouble.

But like you said Fitz, his stock isn't as high right now considering that the Pacquiao fight is still fresh in our minds.

Mayweather ABUSES Cotto. A-B-U-S-E-S.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 24 2010, 07:59 PM) *

Maybe in the later rounds, but it won't be no beating.
Method
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 24 2010, 09:06 PM) *
Maybe in the later rounds, but it won't be no beating.

One fucking sided
BigG
Mayweather will break Cotto down if they fight. Wide UD
Fitz
I'm with you MMM. On paper, Mayweather abuses Cotto but Cotto struggles against people that have a higher work rate than him. I agree with what you said that Mayweather maybe starts to beat Cotto down in the later rounds. I actually think the structure of the fight might be similar to Mayweather-Judah.
Mayweather likes fighters that just punch and come at him. But Cotto doesn't just punch and come forward. He is patient, uses his jab well and makes Mayweather think. Cotto is a pressure fighter, but different to the pressure someone like a Hatton and Mosley brought.
The fight will be at a slower pace and make Mayweather wait more. The punch out put of Mayweather to me is often determined on the output of his opposition. Cotto won't star getting abused until the middle or last third of the fight. I think the structure will be similar to the Judah fight, and Mayweather will probably have a similar activity to the DLH or Baldomir fight.
Cotto makes Mayweather think and wait much more than Mosley or even Pacquiao. Which will make it close on the cards because Cotto will probably win early rounds and make Mayweather have close rounds early on due to activity.
Fitz
Also. Not only does Cotto struggle with people who have a higher workrate than him. Also guys that will takes punches to land their own, and that is why I think Cotto won't get abused. He will not take the shots that Pacquiao and Margarito took to land their own, hence why Pacquiao and Margarito abuse Cotto more than Mayweather did, and why Mayweather will wait more. Cotto would not come at Mayweather in the same rate Hatton, Pacquiao or Margarito might. Different type of aggression.
PR316
UD for Mayweather. I'd be surprised if he stopped Cotto because he just doesn't the mentality and killer instinct to do so. Not at these higher at least.

But I expect Floyd to win it very clearly.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 24 2010, 07:59 PM) *

yeah, seriously
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 24 2010, 10:20 PM) *
I'm with you MMM. On paper, Mayweather abuses Cotto but Cotto struggles against people that have a higher work rate than him. I agree with what you said that Mayweather maybe starts to beat Cotto down in the later rounds. I actually think the structure of the fight might be similar to Mayweather-Judah.
Mayweather likes fighters that just punch and come at him. But Cotto doesn't just punch and come forward. He is patient, uses his jab well and makes Mayweather think. Cotto is a pressure fighter, but different to the pressure someone like a Hatton and Mosley brought.
The fight will be at a slower pace and make Mayweather wait more. The punch out put of Mayweather to me is often determined on the output of his opposition. Cotto won't star getting abused until the middle or last third of the fight. I think the structure will be similar to the Judah fight, and Mayweather will probably have a similar activity to the DLH or Baldomir fight.
Cotto makes Mayweather think and wait much more than Mosley or even Pacquiao. Which will make it close on the cards because Cotto will probably win early rounds and make Mayweather have close rounds early on due to activity.

Akin to DLH who didn't get abused by Mayweather. He kept his guard up, parried the punches well and tried getting his jab off. Margarito and Pacquiao pierced Cotto's peek a boo defense simply by pounding it. Mayweather won't do that.
Byrd Man
can someone explain HOW Floyd would benefit from this fight? Due to Cotto being destroyed twice and then taking 9 rounds to get out a disabled Yuri Foreman, what possible benefit could Floyd get from this fight, aside from money? And perhaps that's the most important thing for him, but from the fans standpoint, I can't imagine how people would be all worked up and excited over Floyd winning this fight.

In fact this will play into the hands of those who are critical of him over his opponent choices.

Same with Manny's bullshit Margo fight and (reportedly) looking at it being a catchweight for the title @ around 152 or so.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Cotto is a good fighter but Floyd is a special fighter. This would be one sided. Cotto, like Mosley, is a guy that Mayweather can fight off the front foot against and when he does that he is very dangerous. Floyd's power is underrated and Cotto can be buzzed relatively easy. It may seem like Floyd is prone to pot shotting guys but look at their faces by the end of the fight. He throws with such accuracy that most of what he lets go lands.

Clottey isn't exactly an offense machine and he gave Cotto all he could handle. I really believe this would be an easy night for Floyd.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 25 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Cotto is a good fighter but Floyd is a special fighter. This would be one sided. Cotto, like Mosley, is a guy that Mayweather can fight off the front foot against and when he does that he is very dangerous. Floyd's power is underrated and Cotto can be buzzed relatively easy. It may seem like Floyd is prone to pot shotting guys but look at their faces by the end of the fight. He throws with such accuracy that most of what he lets go lands.

Clottey isn't exactly an offense machine and he gave Cotto all he could handle. I really believe this would be an easy night for Floyd.

Clottey isn't offensive. But he is bigger and stronger. Maybe one of the biggest and strongest fighter he has fought. He stands in front and is physical. Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the last fight, and a series of fights before that get forgotten. They think we will see a Mayweather show up that showed up in the Mosley or Hatton fight. Mayweather is still very much capable in pulling out performances like he did against Baldomir, DLH and Marquez. Cotto brings that Mayweather out in him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 25 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Cotto brings that Mayweather out in him.

No he doesn't.

Good I'm glad that's sorted laugh.gif

You've always had a soft spot for Cotto Fitz but I really think you are overestimating his ability.
Fitz
I do like Cotto, I have never hidden that. I also like to think that I can call things like I see it, regardless if it's one of my liked fighters fighting or not, and I think I have in the past.
If Baldomir can make Mayweather fight like that, I feel Cotto can as well. I don't think I am making some outrageous prediction when I say I think Mayweather will fight a slow and safe fight.
neophyte7
Baldomir can walk through elephant gun fire... he has the face and jaw structure of a rockem sockem robot... Cotto don't have that type of chin and Floyd will buzz him often and then stop him late in their match if they ever meet.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jul 24 2010, 10:38 PM) *
can someone explain HOW Floyd would benefit from this fight? Due to Cotto being destroyed twice and then taking 9 rounds to get out a disabled Yuri Foreman, what possible benefit could Floyd get from this fight, aside from money? And perhaps that's the most important thing for him, but from the fans standpoint, I can't imagine how people would be all worked up and excited over Floyd winning this fight.

In fact this will play into the hands of those who are critical of him over his opponent choices.

Same with Manny's bullshit Margo fight and (reportedly) looking at it being a catchweight for the title @ around 152 or so.

You're right Byrd Man, Floyd won't benefit anything from this fight, except possibly a payday. That's why it will never happen, this fight might be a win-win for Arum, but it certainly ain't for Floyd.
D-MARV
Let's not jump the gun on this one... They had a business meeting about some promotional stuff.

I don't see this fight happening unless Cotto breaks away from Arum.
PR316
I believe its all just rumors too.

If this fight happens then no more needs to be said about Mayweather ducking Pacquiao.
PR316
Floyd won't fight anyone that he sees as a threat. If he fights Cotto(Doubtful), it'll be because he sees him as vulnerable enough to not pose a threat to his undefeated record.
Fitz
QUOTE (frankstea @ Jul 26 2010, 09:43 AM) *
It's pointless plus Floyd won't fight at 154

He will and it depends on the circumstance. If it's a big reward against a guy he can beat, he will take it for the right fight. He fought DLH at 154, I have no reason to believe he wouldn't fight Cotto at 154 or another guy if the price is right.
streetlion1
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jul 25 2010, 04:26 AM) *
No he doesn't.

Good I'm glad that's sorted laugh.gif

You've always had a soft spot for Cotto Fitz but I really think you are overestimating his ability.

Or you could be underestimating him. A pressure fighter who uses his jab and goes to the body will force Mayweather to retreat....making the fight a legit fight. Cotto defends against left hooks pretty well....though Floyd would land straight rights...and uppecuts. I dunno...I just see a pretty good fight here. I think Cotto at least gives a better account of himself than a Mosley with no jab or workrate for that matter. Or a blown up Marquez...or even shitty Hatton.

Floyd wins...but it isnt a blowout.
Fitz
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Jul 28 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Or you could be underestimating him. A pressure fighter who uses his jab and goes to the body will force Mayweather to retreat....making the fight a legit fight. Cotto defends against left hooks pretty well....though Floyd would land straight rights...and uppecuts. I dunno...I just see a pretty good fight here. I think Cotto at least gives a better account of himself than a Mosley with no jab or workrate for that matter. Or a blown up Marquez...or even shitty Hatton.

Floyd wins...but it isnt a blowout.

Yep. Pretty much how I see it. It's almost as if people have forgotten about the trash he can dish out in fights like he did with Baldomir, DLH and Marquez. Mayweather is still very capable of pulling out performances like that, not everyone is going to be like Mosley and Hatton performances.
Lil-lightsout
I have zero interest in seeing todays Cotto against Mayweather. Before Maragrito ruined Cotto, I always thought Cotto would give Floyd a tough fight. But Cotto lost a few steps and just looks so much slower and his stamina is questionable. Right now I see Floyd dominating Cotto no doubt.
King Eugene
I wouldn't be surprised if Arum gave us a Cotto vs. Clottey rematch for his 154 title. I mean hell Clottey did give a good showing for himself except for those last two rounds. I just find it hard to figure out how would Arum sell Clottey who has lost his last two fights which where title fights in another title fight.

I'm all but sure if Margarito win(he wont) we'll see Margarito vs. Cotto II at 154
neophyte7
Cotto is too slow and does not have a Baldomir chin. Mayweather abuses him. And oh yes, there will be blood!!! Cotto would get bludgeoned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.