Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the overall interest in Toney-Couture?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
TRU
It's hard for me the gauge the interest on this fight from boxing fans. Maybe it's too far way being a month away.

Do you guys think that this fight will really bring that boxing/mma rivalry to a boil over in the days leading up to the fight or is it just a "yawn" event to the boxing fan?
oozemcbuck
I'm kinda intereted. I guess Couture should win, but FIGHTHYPE is doing a great job in promoting Toney, got all these MMA guys talking about how Toney is picking things up quickly. I have a feeling this is not gonna be worth paying for. The only way u get your money's worth is if Toney wins. I won't pay for it, but if I catch up on my cable bill a bit and the extra OT I'm working keeps up, I just might order it, just out of curiosity.
Snoop
I think Warlord will UD Smarty again.
Method
I'll check the headlines and read the stories the next day. That's about it. Watch it on youtube when available. Otherwise, could give fuck all. The thread was more interesting. LOL.
D-MARV
"Yawn" Event... Unless it ends with Couture motionless on the mat, I don't give two fucks.
TRU
I wonder if it's because Toney isn't really taken seriously by boxing fans being that he aint' even close to his prime.

If it was a guy like Sergio Martinez fighting in MMA, would it be any different?
Method
I dont think it would be any different.

IMO opinion, a boxer vs an MMA guy is like a lion jumping into the Amazon to take on a pack of Piranha. The lion cant swim to begin with, so aside from a stroke of luck (read: "puncher's chance"), any decent MMA athlete will take a boxer down and submit him.

I'd like to see Martinez get fucked up though, all his clowning around and bullshit showmanship for no reason.

A lion cant swim with the sharks.

It would be the same thing for an MMA guy to put on a pair of gloves and get in a boxing ring. A mismatch.
TRU
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 23 2010, 05:52 PM) *
I dont think it would be any different.

IMO opinion, a boxer vs an MMA guy is like a lion jumping into the Amazon to take on a pack of Piranha. The lion cant swim to begin with, so aside from a stroke of luck (read: "puncher's chance"), any decent MMA athlete will take a boxer down and submit him.

I'd like to see Martinez get fucked up though, all his clowning around and bullshit showmanship for no reason.

A lion cant swim with the sharks.

It would be the same thing for an MMA guy to put on a pair of gloves and get in a boxing ring. A mismatch.

I see what you're saying man.

Just interested to see the feedback after the shit.

Wonder if boxing will ever get the chance to repay MMA the favor and take one of their top guys to get embarrassed...
Method
I hope we do, but in reality, I think boxing fans are a little more sophisticated and realize that kicking the shit out of an MMA guy in a boxing ring is kind of a dubious honor. And I agree with those that say Dana White is exploiting the fuck out of his guys, or that MMA guys are taken big time advantage of. They make ZERO money, relatively speaking.

D-MARV
We shit on boxers for beating up "C" level fighters... I know we would clown boxers for beating up MMA fighters...

I wouldn't give Chad Dawson credit for beating Anderson Silva in a boxing match. After Toney gets fucked up, I wonder how many MMA fans would say "this proves MMA is better"? This fight is nothing more than a Circus Act and James Toney is just desperate enough to act a clown.
TRU
So if Toney beat Couture... it'd probably be a much bigger story.

Would it be bad for the UFC if fat man won?

They could make Lesnar-Toney pretty big if he did.
Method
OMG Lesnar would fucking STEAMROLL Tendaroni Toney.
D-MARV
I don't think it would be bad if Toney KO'd him, it would be funny as hell though. My guess is that Couture is completely shot (I really don't know) but I couldn't imagine Toney having a chance if Couture got him on the ground.

Lesnar breaks the 8 ball in half... Now, I would pay to see that, LOL.
Lil-lightsout
I could have sworn I seen Lesner get horribly wobbled by one punch and looked like a turtle ready to fold before his opponent punched himself out on the follow up? Lesnar is far from unbeatable. If that was Toney that had him that hurt I guarantee you Toney would have KO'd him.

Warlord
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 23 2010, 11:21 PM) *
I could have sworn I seen Lesner get horribly wobbled by one punch and looked like a turtle ready to fold before his opponent punched himself out on the follow up? Lesnar is far from unbeatable. If that was Toney that had him that hurt I guarantee you Toney would have KO'd him.

Hehe, I was about to say the same thing. Brock Lesnar is the biggest fucking PUSSY on the planet, rolling himself up into the fetal position after getting tagged by Carwin. God I can't stand that guy.
Method
Im just picturing him lowering his head and running straight through James. I know what I've been hearing about his chin. Still. I don't see Toney doing it. But hey, that's why they fight the fights. Again, something I'd read about the next day, and not watch.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 23 2010, 01:22 PM) *
I think Warlord will UD Smarty again.

Smarty left
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jul 23 2010, 05:16 PM) *
We shit on boxers for beating up "C" level fighters... I know we would clown boxers for beating up MMA fighters...

I wouldn't give Chad Dawson credit for beating Anderson Silva in a boxing match. After Toney gets fucked up, I wonder how many MMA fans would say "this proves MMA is better"? This fight is nothing more than a Circus Act and James Toney is just desperate enough to act a clown.

Toney will win
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 23 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Im just picturing him lowering his head and running straight through James. I know what I've been hearing about his chin. Still. I don't see Toney doing it. But hey, that's why they fight the fights. Again, something I'd read about the next day, and not watch.

Oh, you were right on the money. Lesnar would most probably eat him for breakfast and shit him out in the morning. I just can't stand the mother-fucker.
Warlord
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 24 2010, 12:07 AM) *
Smarty left

Bitch committed e-suicide. I'm gonna take full credit for retiring his lame ass too, though I guess retardation was probably the true culprit.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 24 2010, 01:27 AM) *
Bitch committed e-suicide. I'm gonna take full credit for retiring his lame ass too, though I guess retardation was probably the true culprit.

If we had to credit anyone,it'd have to be you..I don't think the threats of a beating by Neo did much..hahaha..

Kinda too bad though,he had pretty good knowledge.
King Eugene
I'm looking forward to it. I know it wont prove a thing but I just want to see a good fight.
Run and Gun Game Calls
I want to see it for the same reason i would want to see mayweather fighting in mma.. you get to see a loud mouth shut the hell up.

Lol its gonna be a blast
Jack 1000
Seeing Toney get broken in half, which will probably happen the minute the match goes to ground for me at least is almost as good as seeing Mayweather getting TKFO!

Hey, Floyd? Wanna try MMA?!! hahahaha!

But seriously, what I don't like is what White is doing. By all accounts, James is gonna get murdered and these young uneducated kids who don't know shit are gonna say, "See! MMA is so much better than boxing, because a multi-boxing champion just got his ass kicked." White is doing this IMO, for that reason, and that reason only and the whole set up looks bad for boxing's struggling image at this point in time. If I am wrong about this, why?

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 4 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Seeing Toney get broken in half, which will probably happen the minute the match goes to ground for me at least is almost as good as seeing Mayweather getting TKFO!

Hey, Floyd? Wanna try MMA?!! hahahaha!

But seriously, what I don't like is what White is doing. By all accounts, James is gonna get murdered and these young uneducated kids who don't know shit are gonna say, "See! MMA is so much better than boxing, because a multi-boxing champion just got his ass kicked." White is doing this IMO, for that reason, and that reason only and the whole set up looks bad for boxing's struggling image at this point in time. If I am wrong about this, why?

Jack

White is always trying to play little games. I do find solace in him getting outsold 2:1 or more when he went against Mayweather and his reluctance to schedule a UFC PPV near a top selling boxing PPV while droning on about boxing being dead.
D-MARV
I never understood why certain MMA spokesman have said that "MMA is swallowing boxing". Boxing has been putting up better numbers EVERYTIME they go head to head.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 5 2010, 08:38 AM) *
I never understood why certain MMA spokesman have said that "MMA is swallowing boxing". Boxing has been putting up better numbers EVERYTIME they go head to head.

They may be putting up better numbers when boxing has a mega fight. So every couple of fights, but that's about it. TV coverage, interest from people all beg to differ with you. It is killing boxing. I know in Australia that's the case and from all reports, it's the same thing in the US and Canada. Yeah, when Pacquiao or Mayweather fight they may get better numbers. But MMA has more fans, interest and coverage than boxing everytime.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 24 2010, 02:37 AM) *
If we had to credit anyone,it'd have to be you..I don't think the threats of a beating by Neo did much..hahaha..

Kinda too bad though,he had pretty good knowledge.

I don't know, this gravytrain character popped suspiciously close to the time when beardo left......

you're not beardo, are you gravy?
AussieLad
People think the UFC is pulling some shit to ensure the win over toney. And i reckon thats a load of dingleberry pie

For those of you who dont know what a dingleberry is:

"A delinquent partial turd which grasps anal shrubery causing brownish crust to accumulate in ones boxers."

Who should they have stuck him in with, when toney is himself asking to fight the best? They could have thrown him in with a Velasquez or a Dos Santos, or one of the enormous beasts that are Carwin and Lesnar. Anyone of those fights would leave Toney in a crumpled red puddle in the octagon.

But no. James is matched against a guy even older than himself. A guy that hasnt looked fantastic in his last couple of fights. A small heavyweight who had just recently tried to transition down to light heavy and is coming back up. And a guy who's striking is nowhere near the level of toney's. And the other thing to consider is that, despite all these factors, Couture is a big big name. This is the very best situation for toney. He gets to fight someone who is not as dangerous as the elite, but has serious credibility in the sport... Can you imagine the smack talk from toney if he wins, and bad publicity that will generate for the UFC

If they really thought Toney was a once of deal, sideshow arrangement, i would have put him in with Velasquez. Someone who's youth, size, wrestling and chin mean that Toney gets mauled during every second of the fight. Not some ancient, small, former super star

This is a match up that is not insulting to toney (randy is a big name and respected), an interesting match up of styles (wrestler vs boxer), and its fairly evenly matched in terms of size and age. I still think once couture gets a hold of him, toney wont be able to stop the take down, but randy is going to eat some leather coming in and could go down from the right shot. The first 30 seconds are what will determine the outcome of this fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 6 2010, 04:13 PM) *
I don't know, this gravytrain character popped suspiciously close to the time when beardo left......

you're not beardo, are you gravy?

It depends, are the any incentives to be beardo?

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 4 2010, 07:01 PM) *
They may be putting up better numbers when boxing has a mega fight. So every couple of fights, but that's about it. TV coverage, interest from people all beg to differ with you. It is killing boxing. I know in Australia that's the case and from all reports, it's the same thing in the US and Canada. Yeah, when Pacquiao or Mayweather fight they may get better numbers. But MMA has more fans, interest and coverage than boxing everytime.

http://www.cagepotato.com/ufc-learns-hard-...fights-ppv-buys

Quantity vs quality for the most part.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 6 2010, 06:35 PM) *
People think the UFC is pulling some shit to ensure the win over toney. And i reckon thats a load of dingleberry pie

For those of you who dont know what a dingleberry is:

"A delinquent partial turd which grasps anal shrubery causing brownish crust to accumulate in ones boxers."

Who should they have stuck him in with, when toney is himself asking to fight the best? They could have thrown him in with a Velasquez or a Dos Santos, or one of the enormous beasts that are Carwin and Lesnar. Anyone of those fights would leave Toney in a crumpled red puddle in the octagon.

But no. James is matched against a guy even older than himself. A guy that hasnt looked fantastic in his last couple of fights. A small heavyweight who had just recently tried to transition down to light heavy and is coming back up. And a guy who's striking is nowhere near the level of toney's. And the other thing to consider is that, despite all these factors, Couture is a big big name. This is the very best situation for toney. He gets to fight someone who is not as dangerous as the elite, but has serious credibility in the sport... Can you imagine the smack talk from toney if he wins, and bad publicity that will generate for the UFC

If they really thought Toney was a once of deal, sideshow arrangement, i would have put him in with Velasquez. Someone who's youth, size, wrestling and chin mean that Toney gets mauled during every second of the fight. Not some ancient, small, former super star

This is a match up that is not insulting to toney (randy is a big name and respected), an interesting match up of styles (wrestler vs boxer), and its fairly evenly matched in terms of size and age. I still think once couture gets a hold of him, toney wont be able to stop the take down, but randy is going to eat some leather coming in and could go down from the right shot. The first 30 seconds are what will determine the outcome of this fight.

I think fighting in a cage, in the UFC, and not in a boxing ring, is enough of an advantage for Randy. Don't ya think?
AussieLad
You missed the point as usual focus.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 6 2010, 07:41 PM) *
You missed the point as usual focus.gif

no, i get your point. i just don't give a shit about it, i care more about mine.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 24 2010, 08:03 AM) *
Wonder if boxing will ever get the chance to repay MMA the favor and take one of their top guys to get embarrassed...

Well Toney is not a top guy & has not been for 10 years. He is a joke in boxing who can't get a big fight because he cannot win a big fight & has not for many years. He is a parasite who is looking to milk MMA for a quick payday because he knows he has no paydays left in boxing.

Someone tell me the last big fight James won?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 6 2010, 09:43 PM) *
Well Toney is not a top guy & has not been for 10 years. He is a joke in boxing who can't get a big fight because he cannot win a big fight & has not for many years. He is a parasite who is looking to milk MMA for a quick payday because he knows he has no paydays left in boxing.

Someone tell me the last big fight James won?

He beat Oquendo in December 2008 and a NC with Rahman in July 2008. Yes he was damn lucky to get the nod in the Oquendo fight but that wasn't your question. Your question was which was the last big fight he won. Conversley I thought he was also on the way to beating the batshit out of Rahman before Rahman pussied out with that cut. So I guess it goes both ways.

Now compare that next to one of your heroes John Ruiz who constantly got title challenges despite loss after loss and Samuel Peter who is getting another shot after beating no-one, the question is why won't any of the belt holders give James a fight? He is definately no worse than the other 2 guys I have just mentioned.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 7 2010, 11:55 AM) *
He beat Oquendo in December 2008 and a NC with Rahman in July 2008. Yes he was damn lucky to get the nod in the Oquendo fight but that wasn't your question. Your question was which was the last big fight he won. Conversley I thought he was also on the way to beating the batshit out of Rahman before Rahman pussied out with that cut. So I guess it goes both ways.

Now compare that next to one of your heroes John Ruiz who constantly got title challenges despite loss after loss and Samuel Peter who is getting another shot after beating no-one, the question is why won't any of the belt holders give James a fight? He is definately no worse than the other 2 guys I have just mentioned.

Except for the fact that he lost to one of them twice & cheated to win against the other yeah.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 6 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Except for the fact that he lost to one of them twice & cheated to win against the other yeah.

Sorry who did he lose to twice? Who did he cheat against?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 7 2010, 12:17 PM) *
Sorry who did he lose to twice? Who did he cheat against?

He lost to Peter twice & was using banned substances when he fought Ruiz.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 6 2010, 10:26 PM) *
He lost to Peter twice & was using banned substances when he fought Ruiz.

Oh sorry I get it now. Don't think he lost the first Peter fight but fair enough.

And what has Peter done to deserve his shot? Seriously? Quitting like a girl on his stool. Being beaten by Chambers? Or is it his big wins against McGee, Bellamy, Brown and Aguielra, fighters so obscure I had to find them Boxrec.

If Toney had fought those list of bums you would be getting seriously fired up about him getting another shot.

AussieLad
fuck i hope peter vs tua gets made at some point
AussieLad
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 6 2010, 11:59 PM) *
no, i get your point. i just don't give a shit about it, i care more about mine.

Thats ok. Your post isnt worth a shit, so we are even
King Eugene
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 7 2010, 02:03 AM) *

Want to sig bet?

laugh.gif

I'm BSing
AussieLad
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 7 2010, 07:38 AM) *
Want to sig bet?

laugh.gif

I'm BSing

Your on...

LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 7 2010, 05:42 AM) *
Your on...

LOL

Shittin me. LOL I'm not that bold.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 7 2010, 01:02 AM) *
fuck i hope peter vs tua gets made at some point

Tua is a shell of himself but I still thinks he blasts Peter to some far off planet. I hope to see it too.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 7 2010, 02:03 AM) *

Now we are on the same page.
Run and Gun Game Calls
I want to see floyd transition over to mma and fight BJ penn. When floyd foot is literally shoved in his mouth he wont be able to run his trap
D-MARV
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 8 2010, 04:21 PM) *
I want to see floyd transition over to mma and fight BJ penn. When floyd foot is literally shoved in his mouth he wont be able to run his trap

Get over it already.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 7 2010, 12:34 PM) *
If Toney had fought those list of bums you would be getting seriously fired up about him getting another shot.

I just think the entire heavyweight division stinks right now. The Klit's are clearly the best by some way yet they will not fight each other. Haye is a breath of fresh air but I think he gets stopped by either brother.

Heavyweight boxing just flat sux right now & I don't see it getting better in a hurry.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 9 2010, 06:21 AM) *

That would be a very exciting event. I don't think Floyd could win it unless he landed a nice lead right hand which he is more than capable of doing but BJ would make him a pretzel.

Seeing Floyds face just before he tapped out would be priceless though. Floyd would never do MMA though as he would not make enough $$ & would be humiliated in the process.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.