Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 140lb mix up
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
Theres alot of talent in the 140lb divison you got got Bradley, ALexander, Khan, Maidana and even Ortiz.

Out of all the guys mentioned I see Alexander as the most talented of the bunch he may not sell more tickets than Khan or Ortiz but he would whoop both IMO. He's got the speed, skill, and power to do big things i see him as the future of the 140-147lb weight class anda mayebe even a future p4p king.

Bradley is one of those fighters thats good at eveything but great at nothing he's not that fast doesn't hit that hard and can be hurt though i still see him as the 2nd best out of the crew. I don't think he'll beat Alexander but he'll give him a tough one thats for sure.

Khan is knockout waiting to happen again once he faces someone who can hit a bit he'll crumble.

Ortiz looked to have the brightest future before Maidana and given the way Maidana has looked since beating him Ortiz wouldnt look all that bad had he not quite. He dropped Maidana twice and could have won that fight had he used his head. Ortiz has all the skill to go far but if his hearts not in it he'll fail big time guess we just gotta waite and see.

Maidana is the least skilled but arguably the hardest puncher he can get outboxed yet he can KO any of the guys listed but his slimited skills will get exposed sooner or later.

King Eugene
I like Bradley but his skill level isn't that high. He improved in his last fight but didn't look that great. He still depends on outworking his opponents and not really outboxing them. His last fight was the first time I really seen him BOX. Alexander would out point Bradley.

The rest of the guys are..........eh.

If Ortiz had heart he'd be near the top of the chain. I think after his Maidana fight he knows he has some making up to do so I expect to see a more fierce Ortiz from now on out til he gets another title.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Khan vs. Judah. Thats one fight I dont think would go the distance. Either Zab stops him early or Zab never gets to Khan's chin and Khan stops him after the 6th when Judah is known to break down. I'm not sure Zab could beat Alexander or Bradley but I give him a good shot at outboxing Maidana and/or stopping him late.
JLUVBABY
i talked to vivian harris day before yesterday and he seems to really be getting up for ortiz.. i expect that to be a good fight on the undercard of mora mosley....
Keith
A lot of talent at 140. I dont think any of the fighters can run the table and beat all of the others.

Maidana is a sleeping tiger... Big puncher, great chin, relentless and hungry in the ring. His punching accuracy is also above average imo and he is sound fundamentally.
kidbazooka1
Judah/Khan would be a good fight i agree whoever chin holds up will take it.

There is loads of talent at 140lb but the more i see of Alexander the more he impresses me i really believe that he has all the tools to clean out the divison but it won't be easy thats for sure.

Harris should provide a tough test for Ortiz and assuming he wins i would really like to see him get a rematch with Maidana or take on one of the guys mentioned in order to get in the mix.
Mean Mister Mustard
Interesting to see that some think Alexander is the best at 140 while months ago people were in awe of Bradley and thought he would be too much for Alexander the Great.

Alexander so far has not had a fight where he had to step up and find a way to win so I'm curious to see if he can handle a dangerous situation.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 24 2010, 04:23 PM) *
Interesting to see that some think Alexander is the best at 140 while months ago people were in awe of Bradley and thought he would be too much for Alexander the Great.

Alexander so far has not had a fight where he had to step up and find a way to win so I'm curious to see if he can handle a dangerous situation.

im still rollin with bradley as the man at 140 mmm.. tho his days there seem numbered.. either way those fight need to go down... boxing is on fire right now if they fight these guys instead of trying to protect them... there are tons of fights that can be made from 140 to 147...
kidbazooka1

Alexanders win against Urango and his win over Witter were more impressive to me than any win Bradley has had thus far. I like Bradley and woudln't argue with anyone who thinks he's the top dog in the division but in my opinion Alexander can do everything Bradley can do yet better.
Lil-lightsout
Right now I would take Bradley over anyone at 140. Could have sworn I seen him outbox Holt and Peterson recently, and also his last opponent last week. His skills are top notch in my book.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 25 2010, 02:50 AM) *
Right now I would take Bradley over anyone at 140. Could have sworn I seen him outbox Holt and Peterson recently, and also his last opponent last week. His skills are top notch in my book.

His skills are top notch but he lacks that power to get peoples respect and he isn't the fastest guy at that weight either. Alexander has equal skill yet with more power and in his punches and quicker aswell.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 25 2010, 02:10 PM) *
His skills are top notch but he lacks that power to get peoples respect and he isn't the fastest guy at that weight either. Alexander has equal skill yet with more power and in his punches and quicker aswell.

bradleys volume punching alone will create problems for most and he's not the hardest puncher but he has some pop... im sure of hit right fighters are gonna respect his power... bradley is the real deal.. a llittle beast... and its gonna be fun watching his career unfold... alexander is good too tho and they def have a date with destiny... they need to fight rather it be at 140 or 147..
Hittman25
ill be the first one to tell you madianna has his flaws but hes a fans dream he doesnt quit and has heavy fists and can knock you with a body shot (Cayo) or a just a really hard shot to the face (ortiz)

As long hes not 35 and doesnt take too much punishment i pick em for my favorite and under dog.....

i can easliy see devon alexander giving marcos problem but bradley khan ortiz judah peterson i think we crumble against madianna's will to ko his oponnet
but a really good jab agaisnt madianna can be dangerous for him but i dont see ne one stopping him soon so as long as he fights the best after he tunes up with denarcus corley

he should be ready for his campaign but i wish he would get a better trainer his trainer lets his boxers do what their comfortable with madianna needs better footwork and head movement but he is really exciting to watch
Hittman25
ill be the first one to tell you madianna has his flaws but hes a fans dream he doesnt quit and has heavy fists and can knock you with a body shot (Cayo) or a just a really hard shot to the face (ortiz)

As long hes not 35 and doesnt take too much punishment i pick em for my favorite and under dog.....

i can easliy see devon alexander giving marcos problem but bradley khan ortiz judah peterson i think we crumble against madianna's will to ko his oponnet
but a really good jab agaisnt madianna can be dangerous for him but i dont see ne one stopping him soon so as long as he fights the best after he tunes up with denarcus corley

he should be ready for his campaign but i wish he would get a better trainer his trainer lets his boxers do what their comfortable with madianna needs better footwork and head movement but he is really exciting to watch
PR316
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:37 AM) *
Theres alot of talent in the 140lb divison you got got Bradley, ALexander, Khan, Maidana and even Ortiz.

Out of all the guys mentioned I see Alexander as the most talented of the bunch he may not sell more tickets than Khan or Ortiz but he would whoop both IMO. He's got the speed, skill, and power to do big things i see him as the future of the 140-147lb weight class anda mayebe even a future p4p king.

Bradley is one of those fighters thats good at eveything but great at nothing he's not that fast doesn't hit that hard and can be hurt though i still see him as the 2nd best out of the crew. I don't think he'll beat Alexander but he'll give him a tough one thats for sure.

Khan is knockout waiting to happen again once he faces someone who can hit a bit he'll crumble.

Ortiz looked to have the brightest future before Maidana and given the way Maidana has looked since beating him Ortiz wouldnt look all that bad had he not quite. He dropped Maidana twice and could have won that fight had he used his head. Ortiz has all the skill to go far but if his hearts not in it he'll fail big time guess we just gotta waite and see.

Maidana is the least skilled but arguably the hardest puncher he can get outboxed yet he can KO any of the guys listed but his slimited skills will get exposed sooner or later.

Without a doubt Alexander is the man in that division. I could see him being the future of those divisions for sure.

Bradley is number 2. He's strong, tough, works hard, and has a huge heart. He's not particularly great at anything, but he does everything good.

Khan is nothing special. He's got a nice jab and fast hands. And we all know how well he takes a punch, don't we?. I think its like you said, that the moment he faces anyone(And I do believe anyone) that can punch pretty good, he's knocked out again. Alexander KO's him, as does Maidana, and Bradley would just out man/out tough him.

Ortiz is a good solid fighter but nothing special either. He can punch a bit and he's pretty athletic. Of course he has a ticker problem as we all saw against Maidana. I would give him a chance against Khan though and a rematch with Maidana would be worth watching.

Maidana is the best puncher for sure. I think he would KO Khan, once again beat Ortiz, and lose close but clear to Bradley, and get outboxed handily by Alexander.
Nay_Sayer

Bradley beats Alexander, IMO....
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 26 2010, 11:13 AM) *
Without a doubt Alexander is the man in that division. I could see him being the future of those divisions for sure.

Bradley is number 2. He's strong, tough, works hard, and has a huge heart. He's not particularly great at anything, but he does everything good.

Khan is nothing special. He's got a nice jab and fast hands. And we all know how well he takes a punch, don't we?. I think its like you said, that the moment he faces anyone(And I do believe anyone) that can punch pretty good, he's knocked out again. Alexander KO's him, as does Maidana, and Bradley would just out man/out tough him.

Ortiz is a good solid fighter but nothing special either. He can punch a bit and he's pretty athletic. Of course he has a ticker problem as we all saw against Maidana. I would give him a chance against Khan though and a rematch with Maidana would be worth watching.

Maidana is the best puncher for sure. I think he would KO Khan, once again beat Ortiz, and lose close but clear to Bradley, and get outboxed handily by Alexander.

Maidana's power gives him a chance at beating anyone in the divison. I could see his stopping Khan brutaly and beating Ortiz again and maybe even beating bradley but Alexander just seems to clever and skilled for him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 26 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Bradley beats Alexander, IMO....

thats a fight that needs to happen..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 26 2010, 07:37 PM) *
thats a fight that needs to happen..

I suspect Don King is gonna throw a monkey-wrench in the clockworks...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 26 2010, 08:04 PM) *
I suspect Don King is gonna throw a monkey-wrench in the clockworks...

Alexander should try to get away from King as soon as his contract expires.
Lil-lightsout
Pretty much everyone agrees Alexander and Bradley are the top 2 fighters at 140. Probably a fair guess would say it is split down the middle who people think would win between the two. I really think this fight needs to be made so we can figure out who the real best is right now. There are also many other good fighters in this division which makes it interesting in the future.
lloyd mayflower
Amir Khan and Tim Bradley on Twitter

Bradley - Amir Khan said he will knock me out. Bring it on baby I will fight you next! If your a man face me next and not [Juan Manuel] Marquez.

Khan - Your turn will come, just get in the que. I want to face a better bunch of opponents first.

Bradley - Until you face me you will never get the respect...period! So who you [are] going to face next then?

Khan - Tim Bradley is dying for a pay day. Tell him get in the que of better opponents and wait his turn to get KO'd.

Bradley - Dude what you talking about? Believe in my own hype? I've beaten [Kendall] Holt, [Lamont] Peterson, [Junior] Witter, [Nate] Campbell. I deserve a pay day.

Khan - Remember one thing, I'd beat everyone who you beat. I'd KO them. Infact, you avoided [Andreas] Kotelnik and [Dimitry] Salita. Who's the bitch now?

Bradley - I avoided Kotelnik and Salita?? Please explain how I avoided them? I think you're the ducker. Who's your mandatory? [Marcos] Maidana.

Dude I highly doubt you would have beaten Kendal Holt in 2009, maybe now but not when I fought him.

If you face Maidana next fair enough, he's your mandatory but if you face Marquez you know there will be a backlash against you about. You gotta be a man and tell Richard Schaefer you wanna face legit 140 pounders not blown-up lightweights.

Khan - Maidana has a bad back. I wanted him. You say you want to fight but indirectly you don't. You overprice yourself and say I'm scared...come on!

Bradley - You paid Maidana step-aside money. You're the ducker son!

Your ego is too big. Humble yourself before someone shatters your glass jaw!

Overprice myself? What are you talking about? Gary Shaw and Richard haven't even discussed financial details.

Anone see this? I think Amir Khan pretty much got cyber-roasted by Bradley. Would quite like to see them fight. Have to say tho, this is sad. Usin some bullshit site for little girls like Twitter to slate eachother whilst still not meeting in the ring
jkfitpro
Whilst discussing the 140lb mix i think it is interesting to note that whilst Khan has gotten lots of flak for being progressed too slowly and not fighting legit opposition (Fitz made a very convincing counter-argument however), Alexander who gets serious respect on these boards is fighting Kotelnik next. KOTELNIK? Khan fought and beat him last year. I could be wrong but i don't remember anyone talking about this as a cop out fight, or a sign that Alexander is being progressed too slowly. Hmmmmmm.......
Keith
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 28 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Pretty much everyone agrees Alexander and Bradley are the top 2 fighters at 140.

I dont.

Bradley's face first volume style is all wrong for Maidana and Khan.

Alexander probably will have a difficult time outboxing the taller rangier Khan and he will also get outworked in a battle against Bradley.

I just dont think there is any 1 or 2 fighters at 140 who can essentially run the table against all the other top guys... they all have weaknesses certain others in the division can exploit. All of these guys are good fighters but none are great.
PR316
Looking at that Twitter war, it just seems to me that Amir Khan is not exactly the brightest dude in the world. He seems really delusional and STUPID...

I don't know whats more laughable, Khan saying that Bradley ducked Kotelnick and Salita, or Khan telling Bradley to get in line because he has to face "better opponents" first.

Either Khan is really that stupid or he has someone writing tweets on him to make him look like he's that stupid.
lloyd mayflower
Na, hes not got anyone writing tweets in his name PR, he is that fuckin stupid. I dont particularly like Bradley or Khan so couldnt really care who won if they fight, but I think if Khan fought Maidana id be looking to revive my career in making money when Khan faces big punchers
Keith
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 30 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Na, hes not got anyone writing tweets in his name PR, he is that fuckin stupid. I dont particularly like Bradley or Khan so couldnt really care who won if they fight, but I think if Khan fought Maidana id be looking to revive my career in making money when Khan faces big punchers

lloyd... help me out with your sig, explain what its about.
Mean Mister Mustard
I understand why Khan acts like a diva; The man has been a star in Enlgand since before he had turned pro. He has had everything handed to him on a platter and when you get a head start that at that age it is hard to not believe the hype. In boxing, if you really want to achieve greatness, you have to tell yourself that you are great. Not be cocky about it but just be honest about the potential, in order to have the confidence to keep going. In this case Khan has that but it has been multiplied due to the fact that he has been receiving exposure since the Olympics. He probably thinks "Man I'm better than good; I'm great! I deserve this early publicity". One would have thought that the Prescott fight would have humbled him but he obviously believes that was a fluke.

Stylistically he probably beats Bradley with his height and jab but that chin of his is a question mark.
PR316
I dont' think Khan's team believes in him that much because they're not even talking about seriously fighting Bradley.

Khan contradicts himself so much too. On one hand, he's calling out Bradley. Then on the other hand, he told him to get in the queue(He doesn't even know how to spell the word laugh.gif ), and that he has to "face better opponents first". And who are those "better opponents" Khan has to face??... Because he damn sure has avoided his mandatory Maidana claiming a "bad back" when Maidana himself debunked that theory, thus making Khan look even worse. He won't fight Devon Alexander, we all know that. And he obviously just said that Bradly priced himself out even though no negotiation has even occured it seems.

So my guess is that the "better opponents" Khan is talking about facing are blownup lightweights like Marquez and Diaz.

This guy's an impostor. I don't think he can beat any of the top 140 pounders honestly. He's got fast hands and a nice jab. But little else.
Keith
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 30 2010, 11:07 AM) *
This guy's an impostor. I don't think he can beat any of the top 140 pounders honestly. He's got fast hands and a nice jab. But little else.

I dont disagree with you entirely. He does have some power to go with the fast hands and nice jab... and he is still really young, 24 I think.

Edit: Khan will be 24 this December. He is nowhere near his prime physically so I think writing him off is very premature at this point.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 30 2010, 07:52 AM) *
I dont.

Bradley's face first volume style is all wrong for Maidana and Khan.

Alexander probably will have a difficult time outboxing the taller rangier Khan and he will also get outworked in a battle against Bradley.

I just dont think there is any 1 or 2 fighters at 140 who can essentially run the table against all the other top guys... they all have weaknesses certain others in the division can exploit. All of these guys are good fighters but none are great.

Well that is your opinion. But judging the majority on here you usually hear it is either Bradley or Alexander(who are still undefeated, while the other two have been beaten already).

I personally think Maidana would get outboxed by both Bradley and Alexander handily. Bradley is more than just a "face first volume style" fighter. He does not get enough credit for his boxing skills. He outboxed and outworked Holt and Peterson, who are both really good punchers. Bradley'd resume is way better than Khans or Maidana's.

Khan looked good last time out against the pillow pusher Malignaggi, but we all saw what happened when he got crushed in the first round by Prescott. Khan will eventually get KO'd again.

So as of now, most people have Bradley and Alexander as the two best in the 140 pound division. I also think both of them have the potential to be great, and IMO I just see Maidana and Khan being a step behind them. But hopefully they will all fight one another to see who really is the best. One good thing is it sure seems that these guys are willing to step and find out soon enough.

Keith
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jul 30 2010, 01:05 PM) *
Well that is your opinion.

It is. laugh.gif

But judging the majority on here you usually hear it is either Bradley or Alexander(who are still undefeated, while the other two have been beaten already).

You are correct. I didnt mean for my reply to be a disagreement with you. I did however want to point out I dont believe it to be true. If we all nod our heads in agreement then there wont be much of a discussion.

I personally think Maidana would get outboxed by both Bradley and Alexander handily.

I also believe Alexander would outbox Maidana, probably easily. I even think Ortiz might be able to do so in a rematch and ko him late after he's taken some starch out of him. Lamont Peterson could even give him some problems and maybe earn a close decision. I'm not blindly behind Maidana.

Bradley is more than just a "face first volume style" fighter. He does not get enough credit for his boxing skills.He outboxed and outworked Holt and Peterson,

... the key being "outworked". He has reasonable boxing skills but it's clear to me that he is most effective when he gets right on top of his opponents and just outworks them. Bradley even uses his head as a weapon when he's in tight. Bradley is a fighter at heart and not a boxer and he does eat some leather. When it turns into a fight against Maidana he would find out that you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Holt and Peterson,who are both really good punchers.

I'm just going to have to go to the cold hard facts here... Holt has 13 ko's in 29 fights and Peterson has 14 ko's in 29 fights. Neither of them is a good puncher. Respectable but not good, especially considering that most fighters have a better ko percentage early in their careers. Neither Holt or Peterson have the sort of power which would alter your gameplan. Maidana does... 27 ko's in 29 fights... 25 within 6 rds... 21 within 3 rds.

Bradley'd resume is way better than Khans or Maidana's.

Ugh... maybe, probably so but not by much for me. Khan beat Malinaggi convincingly and I think Paulie is as good or better then anyone Bradley has beaten. Same with Maidana... I believe Ortiz beats Holt and Peterson so for me Maidana's victory over Ortiz is more impressive then Bradley's victories over Holt/Peterson. But overall, yes...Bradley has a more impressive resume.

Khan looked good last time out against the pillow pusher Malignaggi, but we all saw what happened when he got crushed in the first round by Prescott. Khan will eventually get KO'd again.

No argument here... but I dont think that ko will come from Bradley or Alexander.

So as of now, most people have Bradley and Alexander as the two best in the 140 pound division. I also think both of them have the potential to be great, and IMO I just see Maidana and Khan being a step behind them. But hopefully they will all fight one another to see who really is the best. One good thing is it sure seems that these guys are willing to step and find out soon enough.

No argument here... I think maybe your definition of "great" is looser then mine, but thats cool.

drinks.gif
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Keith @ Jul 30 2010, 03:24 PM) *
lloyd... help me out with your sig, explain what its about.

Keith, I just havent got rid of that bit from the world cup. When England play in the World Cup there is always a massive show of support in Scotland for whoever they are playing against. This year some shops started selling T Shirts with ABE (anyone but england) on them. Hence I went with that for my sig whilst it was on.
Keith
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jul 31 2010, 06:14 AM) *
Keith, I just havent got rid of that bit from the world cup. When England play in the World Cup there is always a massive show of support in Scotland for whoever they are playing against. This year some shops started selling T Shirts with ABE (anyone but england) on them. Hence I went with that for my sig whilst it was on.

I see. I thought the Scots werent all that fond of those English tyrants?
lloyd mayflower
Thats what the T shirts are about. We want anyone but England to win it! England winning a world cup will hopefully stay in my nightmares and never materialise in my lifetime!
JLUVBABY
Nice vid i got today on my subscription on youtube...

JonnyBlaze
Don't know about you guys but I'm waitin to see how Lucas Matthysse does..He impressed me against Harris even though Harris has pretty much been done..I've been wanting to see more of him since..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.