Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One year ago today...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
caneman
RIP Vernon Forrest...you are missed!
PR316
I miss him very much. Seemed like an awesome person. Great fighter too.
caneman
QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 25 2010, 01:26 PM) *
I miss him very much. Seemed like an awesome person. Great fighter too.

He was, I met him once @ a basketball game for Laffapaplousa(sp?)and we talked about his cause for helping handicapped adults, the guy was str8 class!
JLUVBABY
anybody know the deal on his murderers capture or lack there of?...
caneman
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 25 2010, 02:49 PM) *
anybody know the deal on his murderers capture or lack there of?...

I moved to Dirty Jersey so never really heard but found this! http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21245
JonnyBlaze
RIP Vernon..
Fitz
RIP Forrest.

Always liked the guy. Though when he was alive, he was never really all that popular amongst people. He was pretty underrated and it's sad to see what it takes for someone to gain a bit more of an appreciation.
neophyte7
They should start having public executions of scumbags like the ones who killed Vernon
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jul 26 2010, 02:57 PM) *
They should start having public executions of scumbags like the ones who killed Vernon

thatll never happen in the states... the wrong doer seems to have the most rights... up until recently here in texas you couldnt shot an intruder in your own home... now you cant shoot him if he{s made it out of your home... so the cops say if you do drag his-her ass back inside...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 26 2010, 08:08 PM) *
thatll never happen in the states... the wrong doer seems to have the most rights... up until recently here in texas you couldnt shot an intruder in your own home... now you cant shoot him if he{s made it out of your home... so the cops say if you do drag his-her ass back inside...

Fucked up!!I thought you could shoot an intruder if they make it in the house anywhere in the US..Shit,I know if someone got in my house,I'd shoot,stab,or beat a person till they stop movin..hahaha..If you don't do them,they'll do you..
STEVENSKI
Always a fan of the Viper. Pity injury dogged his later career.
BigG
RIP Vernon...

Prime Forrest would've been a great fight for Pac/May at 147...
Fitz
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 27 2010, 11:57 AM) *
RIP Vernon...

Prime Forrest would've been a great fight for Pac/May at 147...

Neither of them would have fought him. If they wouldn't fight Williams, they wouldn't fight Forrest. He just would have been a 'fantasy' match up for both fighters, even if he was at 147 with them in his prime. He probably stood a good chance to beat both of them.
A fight I always felt would have been intriguing would have been Forrest vs Wright.

Forrest vs Williams also would be interesting with a prime Forrest.
BigG
^ Primest would beat Paul Williams silly...Wright vs Forrest would've been good...I favor Winky in a close one.
kidbazooka1
Forrest was a bad ass in the early 00's there's a reason why you never heard DLH, vargas and Trinidad ever mention his name. The loss to Mayorga was a huge upset no one knew who Mayorga was at the time Forrest thought he was gonna walk through him he had no idea Mayorga could hit and had an iron chin.
caneman
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 27 2010, 01:46 AM) *
Forrest was a bad ass in the early 00's there's a reason why you never heard DLH, vargas and Trinidad ever mention his name. The loss to Mayorga was a huge upset no one knew who Mayorga was at the time Forrest thought he was gonna walk through him he had no idea Mayorga could hit and had an iron chin.

I knew who that crazy fuck was...not only did he have a punch and a chin but he made very good fighters fight his fight!
Lil-lightsout
I wonder what if Forrest would not have lost that 1st fight with Mayorga? His star power would have risen and people would have eventually wanted to see him in there with bigger fights, considering he would have still been undefeated.
neophyte7
Mayorga got a good shot in on the temple... debilitating to any one even the granite chinned Holyfield against Ruiz...even in the that fight II with Mayo Forrest landed hellaciious shots and ended the bout on his feet... in fight ii he had noticeable balance problems yet still was outlanding Mayorga and I feel he was robbed in fight II- he showed he could take a shot and that he was tough... fight II with Mayorga was one helluva fight in retrospect... even Mayoraga gave Vernon his props afterwards and stated that Forrest would have beaten any welter in the world that night outside of him...
PR316
Forrest was a bad ass indeed. None of Trinidad, De La Hoya, or Quartey really wanted him. Mosley fought him because he's brave. He fought him twice immediately because he's not that bright.

No way in hell Floyd Mayweather would have gotten in the ring with him. In fact I doubt Floyd would have fought either Trinidad or Quartey. He'd have stayed his ass at 140 and waited for them to move up so he could have a shot at a past prime Oscar.

If not for injury and fighters avoiding him, Forrest would have had a much better career.
ViperSniper
Two years ago today...

Thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one.

Use to love watching Vernon Forrest fight, his style, the man had a lot of talent and used what he had very well. Seemed he never reached his full capability in and out the ring!

Still very upsetting and shocking that he out of all people went the way he did!

Vernon Forrest will always be one of my favourite fighters of all time!

R.I.P Vernon Forrest.
1971-2009
ViperSniper
caneman
RIP Viper!
True-Boxing-Fan
RIP Vernon the Viper. I always loved his nickname. He was a true viper in the ring. He was a great fighter and in his prime he could beat anyone. That mayorga upset was huge. I loved when he dropped Mosley and kicked the shit out of him. That was a sick uppercut he landed, he almost took his head off. The man was gentleman outside the ring and did lots for the disabled and mentally challenged. He was one of a kind and missed.
Fitz
Yep, sad way his life ended, and I can't believe it's been 2 years already. I saw this thread, and thought it was the one year anniversary or something. Time goes fast.

But yep, Forrest never reached his full potential, he could have been so much more, but the Mayorga fight and injuries (mainly injury) set him back. The funny thing I have always found, that in most mythical match ups I come up with at about 147, Vernon always comes close to undefeated when I have fantasy match ups with him, haha. Says something about him and the potential he had.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 25 2011, 05:37 PM) *
Yep, sad way his life ended, and I can't believe it's been 2 years already. I saw this thread, and thought it was the one year anniversary or something. Time goes fast.

But yep, Forrest never reached his full potential, he could have been so much more, but the Mayorga fight and injuries (mainly injury) set him back. The funny thing I have always found, that in most mythical match ups I come up with at about 147, Vernon always comes close to undefeated when I have fantasy match ups with him, haha. Says something about him and the potential he had.

Yeah I agree.

STEVENSKI
I started reading this thread thinking it had been 2 years & I laughed. Poor guy who as others have said carried himself with a true champions aura both inside & outside the ring.

There are many who could learn from his example of how a champion behaves. RIP Vern you will not be forgotten.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.