Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KO'd or Submitted
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
At my gym both boxing and MMA guys train but its a boxing gym so everyone trains boxing while there. One of the MMA guys there had a fight last week and KO'd his opponent. Then the discussion came about would you rather be KO'd or submitted. Then it was would you rather KO someone or submit them.

One argument was if you submit a guy its like him saying, "I give, your the better man/fighter." The other argument was if you KO him your the better man/fighter because you where able to set yourself up in a position to stop him and there was nothing he could do about it.

So the questions are would you rather be KO'd or Submitted and would you rather win your fight by KO or submission and why?
Warlord
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 31 2010, 05:42 AM) *
At my gym both boxing and MMA guys train but its a boxing gym so everyone trains boxing while there. One of the MMA guys there had a fight last week and KO'd his opponent. Then the discussion came about would you rather be KO'd or submitted. Then it was would you rather KO someone or submit them.

One argument was if you submit a guy its like him saying, "I give, your the better man/fighter." The other argument was if you KO him your the better man/fighter because you where able to set yourself up in a position to stop him and there was nothing he could do about it.

So the questions are would you rather be KO'd or Submitted and would you rather win your fight by KO or submission and why?

Can't answer the first question, but definitely I'd rather KO someone. It's much more definitive, IMO.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 31 2010, 04:42 AM) *

I'd rather be submitted and I'd rather KO someone..When ya KO a dude,he's unconcious and is more dramatic than a guy tapping out..To see a guy tap is just like,yeah he got him in a lock or choke(in a skilled way though)..KO's just look way doper and are more savage..

I'd rather submit because it's not going to be leaving me with damage to my head and possibly fuck up your brain and not allow you to move or talk for the rest of your life..Hell,even die..You're not going to die from having a broken arm or leg or be choked out and brought back a second later..Why do ya think boxers can't fight for awhile after being KO'd now a days??It's cause of incidents like when Baer destroyed a guy and he got in the ring shortly after with Carnera and took a jab and died..Yeah,you won't be able to fight for awhile if you have your arm or leg broken but it's less common(having bones broken from locks) I feel than a KO in boxing..Guys are tapping before the bones are broken in most cases I feel..I may be wrong but that's what I've noticed in the MMA fights I've seen..Am I wrong though(MMA fans)??

For the record,I have felt various submissions while training in hapkido and that shit hurts like hell..It more depends on the guy doing the submission on whether he wants to break the bones or not so you're at their mercy..Yet,I've never been KO'd or even dazed in the ring so I don't know what that feels like..Also,lets all remember the KO can come from a head or body shot..I have felt some nice body shots when being shown where "the right" spots are(I just stood there and took the shots)..Liver is a burning feeling inside and the floating rib can feel like you're being stabbed..
STEVENSKI
I'd rather be Ko'd cold. At least I would not remember it.

Jon as Holyfield said about being scared of getting KO'd "I was scared of it til it happened & then I said what the heck I don't even remenber getting hit so there ain't nothin to fear"

I am paraphrasing Vander but you catch my drift.
Keith
I would rather be submitted... ko's are bad for your health.

I think I would rather win by ko... although squeezing the life out of an opponent with a rear naked choke sounds rather appealing.
lloyd mayflower
I'd rather knock someone out, cos it looks more spectacular plus, for all id happily choke someone out, I really dont think if it came down to it, and someone was refusing to tap, that I could snap their leg or arm. I think that would probably make me a bit sick.

And i'd rather submit as thats you ending it yourslef before you get hurt. Getting knocked out is someone ending it for you by removing you from your senses and ability to get up off the floor and continue. Thats never a good thing.
Spyder
This is the way that I look at it...

If you submit someone, it's almost like you're asking them to give up..."I'll stop twisting your arm, if you stop trying to fight me." It's a mutual agreement that you let your opponent decide.

A knockout on the other hand, is where you take the decision out of your opponent's hands..."I don't care what you want, I'm ending this fight and removing you from consciousness."

I'd much rather dictate the terms of my opponent's demise.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 31 2010, 06:55 AM) *
I'd rather be Ko'd cold. At least I would not remember it.

Jon as Holyfield said about being scared of getting KO'd "I was scared of it til it happened & then I said what the heck I don't even remenber getting hit so there ain't nothin to fear"

I am paraphrasing Vander but you catch my drift.

hahaha..Except Holy never was KO'd cold but has taken some monsterous hits that put him down..

Yet,like I said,being KO'd is a lot worse for your health and there is the chance you might not wake up..Being KO'd basically is your brain hitting your skull so hard that the lights go out..

Also,body shot KO's would be really painful I'd think..Remember DLH after Hopkins hit him??
JLUVBABY
id rather knock a muh-trucka out... lol...
AussieLad
I would rather be submitted. Assuming the fighter respects the tap. The submission in most circumstances is far more painful than a clean knockout, but if your opponent respects the tap then you will likely walk away unscathed (apart from a bruised ego)

As for which i would prefer to do, it really depends on the scenario and your intentions. If your out at the clubs with a bunch of bitches looking on, or sparring in the gym, a KO is and always will be far more spectacular for observers.

But, if your in a fight with a cunt you really hate, a submission would be way more gratifying. Applying a choke on a motherfucker and talking to him for the 5-10 seconds it takes for him to go out, letting him know that he is helpless. Or breaking some dudes arm for fucking with your sister. If you ko'd him he probably wont remember what happened to him. But he will sure as shit remember getting his forearm snapped
Run and Gun Game Calls
I would rather submit someone. A knockout can happen more often from just catching someone. yet aa submission is usually set up and applied by the better fighter. At the end of the day I want my opponent knowing im better than him and not just lucky
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2010, 08:08 AM) *
hahaha..Except Holy never was KO'd cold but has taken some monsterous hits that put him down..

He was as a kid fighting in the amateurs.

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2010, 08:08 AM) *
Also,body shot KO's would be really painful I'd think..Remember DLH after Hopkins hit him??

Yeah I do smiling & laughing the fake fuck makes me sick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.