Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV:Marquez vs. Diaz II:9PM(ET), 8PM(CT), 6PM(PT)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Jack 1000
For all action and reactions to the big fight tonight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think Marquez takes this fight with even more ease this time. Don't get me wrong, it will be an action packed fight, but I see Marquez controlling the action more in the early rounds. Diaz really didn't look that good in the Malignaggi fights, and seems to get cut about every fight. I don't even know how much Diaz has left, but I think Marquez still has a lot. He's looked good in the recent years besides the Mayweather fight. He's down at his natural weight class, so I think he'll be a bit faster and stronger. Plus, Diaz is nowhere near Mayweather's level in skill and defense. Marquez will be too skillful and strong for Diaz. I expect him to stop him around the 8th round again.

The undercard looks great. I think the European will be a little too skillful for Jacobs. Jacobs had some problems with Ishe Smith and Mike Walker. We'll see if he's ready to step it up tonight, but I expect him to lose a decision. Guerrero-Casamayor is an interesting scrap as well. If Casamayor has anything left, he wins this fight. Guerrero hasn't looked that great in the last year, but Casamayor hasn't really fought in the prior year. I thought Casamayor looked excellent in the early rounds against Marquez a couple years back. If that Casamayor shows up, he easily wins. Guerrero won't wear him down like Marquez, just not his style. I think this will be an ugly fight, and Casamayor will win a super close decision. Really, it's a toss up fight.

Juarez-Linares is a joke and not worth discussing. As already discussed, it's ridiculous how Juarez get so many bigger fights. Before the card starts though, Mendy-Bika is a solid fight. Mendy won that super middleweight tourney Showtime put on awhile back. Bika has put on some good performances against Codrington and Bute. Both these fighters are kind of unknown, so it'll be interesting. I remember Mendy having good speed and power. I think he's faster than Bika, and that will play a factor. I expect him to win a decision. In the first fight, Ronnie Peterson fights Frankie Gomez I think. Peterson is from Minnesota, and I've trained with his Dad before. His Dad actually said he wasn't fighting anymore, and that he gained weight. We'll see what happens I wish him the best.
lloyd mayflower
Young George Groves is worth a look too Kyle. IMO prob one of the best if not the best prospect wev got on this side of the pond.

Iv probably jinxed him now and he'l stink the place up! But hopefully not. Worth a look anyway if your watching
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm not sure if he's on the televised card or the two fights? I'll definitely give him a look though on youtube later and check some fights out. Hopefully he gets on tonight and puts on a good show.
Jack 1000
My take on the undercard:

It's very good. Probably the best for an undercard in several years to compensate for an HBO type main event. The matches appear to be pretty even.

On Guerrero-Casamayor, I think Cassa is getting too old and that "The Ghost" wins. I think Cassa will make things ugly and dirty but in an entertaining sort of way.

Jacobs vs. Prog should be just about pick-em

Linares-Juarez: Juarez just in there for a payday like he has been in recent years. He acts like he doesn't care.

It's a long way from the great Don King Undercards of the 90's that were amazing. But it is still better than the slop we have been getting.

Is there any of the fights where we could see "Golden Boy" favoritism on the scorecards?

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
Linares probably puts on a boxing clinic against Juarez. The only suspense in this fight is whether Juarez can land that left hook of his and KO the Venezuelan. Remember that it was a left hook that led to Linares's only loss.

Guerrero is a very good fighter, he can box, outwork you and he has pretty good pop in those fists of his. Cassamayor is a wily tricky wizard but he's almost 40 isn't he? I think he gets outworked in this one.

I don't know anything about the Commie that Jacobs is facing but ,according to Doug Fisher, he can counter well enough to make it an interesting fight.

As to the main event, JMM is one of my favorite fighters and seeing him back in the ring is good enough for me.
JonnyBlaze
This is such a BS PPV..Who is buying this??I seriously don't think I can..It's not worth it at all..The only fight I really wanna see is Guerrero and Casamayor..I'm starting to think that this is a PPV because Marquez got his ass BEAT on PPV against Mayweather and now Mayweather gave Marquez a name..It's BS..Marquez should of had a name back when he was fighting Pac-man and others around that time but it was Barrera and Morales' who were the mexican stars,not Marquez unfortunately..He got screwed,but now is not the time for him to be in the main even on a PPV after he just got dominated by Mayweather..Marquez/Diaz??SHIT!!!!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Where are the two free fights on DirecTv? I thought Golden Boy was going to show the Bika fight WTF.
JLUVBABY
i bought it... broke down im interested in some of the fights... bout time boxing starts taking a key from ufc... the undercard fights are on now... bika vs mendy...
JLUVBABY
hey kyle i have dish network and that fight just ended thats all imma say for spoiler reasons but its on....
Imperius3
I have a feeling this will be Diaz's last fight.

Marquez TKO 10
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jul 31 2010, 08:34 PM) *
I have a feeling this will be Diaz's last fight.

Marquez TKO 10

i hate to say this bout my boy, ive gone to most of his fights in houston, but in his interview i saw today with ashey knuckles he sounded confident but looked terrible... and he seemed to have a slight slur in his speech...
Imperius3
My PPV just cut out on me. They're saying this technical difficulty is happening across the country. Wow, I knew I shouldn't have bought this PPV...
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jul 31 2010, 09:02 PM) *
My PPV just cut out on me. They're saying this technical difficulty is happening across the country. Wow, I knew I shouldn't have bought this PPV...

Same here..... I ordered it because there haven't been any boxing ppvs in a while so I said "fuck streaming tonight" looks like I made a bad decision.
Imperius3
Alright, it came back on. They put the fights on hold too, so we didn't miss anything.
JLUVBABY
cool for dish so far... i was wondering why they where showing earlier fights... dish network never went out...
The CEO
I'm back, y'all...PM me for the free free.

Guerrero takin' it easy on Casamayor...
BigG
Welcome back after being AWOL for more than a month CEO.... you have a stream?
The CEO
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 31 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Welcome back after being AWOL for more than a month CEO.... you have a stream?

Good to be back...yeah...PM me if you need it...
Imperius3
The Casamayor fight was hard to watch since he looked so old. A prime Casamayor would have eaten Guerrero alive. He put up a decent effort though, but I hope that's Casa's last fight too.
Method
Where the fuck were you CEO. You missed Leonard Yesserbe chimin in with Floyd's favorite grade of gasoline.

You also missed Ross Greenburg coming out and making the Mayweather apologists look kinda stupid,.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 31 2010, 11:03 PM) *
Where the fuck were you CEO. You missed Leonard Yesserbe chimin in with Floyd's favorite grade of gasoline.

You also missed Ross Greenburg coming out and making the Mayweather apologists look kinda stupid,.

laugh.gif

Man...that's news to me...I have no idea what's been goin' on with that May-Pac bullshit...haven't cared....I've been takin' care of home and then the yearly vacation...jetlagged out, but stayin' up for this one...

thumbsup_anim.gif
GzaPR
Jacobs WHO?
LOL TKO in 5 by a NO body.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Marquez looked really sharp tonight. Diaz came to win, and he didn't look that bad either. Marquez is just a level above Diaz, and that showed in the middle rounds. I felt Marquez won rounds 3-9, and Diaz did nothing in there. He finished really strong though, and I felt he won rounds 10-12. He finally picked up the pace, and it seemed Marquez got tired. It wasn't as action-packed this time around, but overall it was a good fight.

That Pirog-Jacobs fight was KO of the year. Pirog really nailed Jacobs and he just went right down. After the way Jacobs looked against Smith and Walker, I felt he would have a tough night. Tough luck for Casamayor too. He just isn't the same, but he still dropped Guerrero. Hopefully that 10th round will be the last hurrah of a great career, and he'll walk away. He was always a tough dude, and he wouldn't go away against Guerrero. Juarez lost again, big surprise lol.
kidbazooka1
Marquez looked good i see him still being able to beat every LW around right now but he should definitly stay away from Manny.

As for Jacobs one word WOW.
Imperius3
Diaz fought a smarter fight, but it just wasn't enough. With law school in his future, I think Diaz should retire from boxing, and focus on his academics.

135 is the right weight for Marquez. He can make some good fights with Soto and Guerrero. He could probably do 140 too, but it would be a little harder. Fights with Maidana and Ortiz would be intense. Fights with Bradley, Khan, and Alexander would be tough.
lloyd mayflower
Did anyone else start to get the impression that maybe JMM might be struggling to pull the trigger now? I hope im wrong.

Also, does anyone know who the guy with the Jersey Shore T shirt on sitting 2 to the right of Oscar was? It was fuckin comedy watching him!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jul 31 2010, 10:00 PM) *
The Casamayor fight was hard to watch since he looked so old. A prime Casamayor would have eaten Guerrero alive. He put up a decent effort though, but I hope that's Casa's last fight too.

This was the only fight that I was interested in..

I'm a fan of both..Guerrero took a big step up in the name game but Casa was old..I'd always watch either one of these guys fight though..Guerrero is one of my favorite fighters today and I wish I had gotten to see him fight Casa but I was not willing to pay 50 for such a BS main event on a PPV card..Sounds like they had it the other way around on this card,good undercard and a less than worthy main event(for a PPV)..Diaz/Marquez should be a main event fight but not on a PPV..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 1 2010, 05:12 PM) *
Guerrero beat Casamayor, but Guerrero wasn't good in doing so. How could he have an old fighter in there, he hurt him from the opening round and dropped him in the second and then continue to just go through the motions and take him the distance? Guerrero could have had Casa out there early, when ever he landed cleanly, Casa was hurt. He didn't apply pressure and ended up making it a safe fight. They are the fights where you make them look old.

Diaz-Marquez was a good fight IMO. I thought Diaz looked decent as well, but Marquez is in a league of his own. Just way too good. Diaz put up a solid performance and nothing to be ashamed of, but Marquez is just better than him in every way.

Shit,Guerrero probably watched the first Corrales fight and Katsidis fight and decided that Casa is always a threat..You can hurt and drop Casa but he has a nasty punch that can turn a fight around..Shit,he punched a mouth guard through Corrales' lip..hahaha..He has serious power..Whether Casa is old or not,he has the punch..It's sad to see Casa in the position he is in now but his age caught up to him..I was hoping Casa would retire after the Marquez loss or after the fight after that that he actually won..
JD
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 1 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Did anyone else start to get the impression that maybe JMM might be struggling to pull the trigger now? I hope im wrong.

Also, does anyone know who the guy with the Jersey Shore T shirt on sitting 2 to the right of Oscar was? It was fuckin comedy watching him!

Now? It's been like that since the first Diaz fight...his legs are going too.

In fact, if he fights Katsidis, I lean toward MK.
D-MARV
Good showing for JMM but he's definitely fading a bit. Being back at a more acceptable weight serves him well. I NEVER want to see him over 135 again.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 1 2010, 07:49 PM) *
I would love to see Katsidis-Marquez. Katsidis has been his mandatory for some time. I think Katsidis has done enough to fight for the undisputed titles. Would really love to see that fight happen.

Katsidis is a warrior and that'd be a hell of a fight..
lloyd mayflower
Yep, if people would just fight their mandatories we would get Khan v Maidana, and Marquez v Katsidis. Instead we will probably get Khan v Marquez.

As for Katsidis, I like him, I love his gameness. He comes to fight. I think JMM would land a shitload of leather on him tho. Obviously JMM would have to take a bit too, but I reckon he could weather the storm that Katsdis brings. At this stage tho, i'd only be maybe 60/40 in favour of JMM.

If he has to pass the torch, id like to see him passing it to Kats, then we'll get to see him in plenty of big fights
D-MARV
Just got a chance to watch the Pirog - Jacobs fight in full. Pirog definitely has skills to become really good but he's FAR from perfect. LMAO at that being KO of the Year... usually a KO of the Year ends with the opponent motionless for several minutes. call me crazy but i think Jacobs could have continued. He was on his way up at 6 and looked fully aware of what was going on. Anyways, he would have likely been stopped eventually.
BGv2.0
I think Diaz really gave a LOT to guys that will step in with JMM next....

JMM looked really tired as hell to me in the last 3 rounds....as a matter of fact I gave 10-12 to Diaz. I think the combination of his age and the recent wars and the move up and back down in wieght is having a huge impact on JMM.

If he gets in with the right guy....a guy that can hold off on getting into the slug action and make him go into the later rounds I could see him losing to a younger guy simply due to being tired by the 9th round or so.

I mean look at what Diaz was able to do to his face and Diaz is NOT a power puncher....if he was in with Katsidis...and Katsidis could take him into the later rounds....I think a hard puncher could get the win.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.